Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

I'd like to see one with fuel costs included, then a separate one for fuel costs with crude prices AND oil company profits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Also those costs for the livestock and wheat look like they correlate?

Like it's not 1:1 in price:cost but it's definitely matching the peaks and valleys by some factor. .

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

IT BEGINS

https://i.stuff.co.nz/science/300484500/a-dinosaur-embryo-was-found-inside-a-fossilised-egg-from-over-66-million-years-ago

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Good news, everyone! Peace in our time January.

quote:

MOSCOW -- Russian authorities have published new regulations on the expedited mass burial of humans and animals who die as a result of military conflicts or noncombatant emergencies, stoking already heightened tensions that the country may be preparing to invade Ukraine.
The document -- published on the Emergencies Ministry's website on December 20 -- appears as the United States, the European Union, and Ukraine have expressed alarm over Russia' buildup of tens of thousands of soldiers near Ukraine’s borders, interpreting it as a possible prelude to military action.
Russia has denied it is planning to invade Ukraine and has issued a series of demands, including direct dialogue with the United States to resolve security issues. Moscow is seeking a guarantee that Ukraine won’t one day become a member of NATO.
According to the document, expedited mass burials pertain to those "killed during military conflicts or as a result of these conflicts, or, if necessary, as a result of an emergency in peacetime." The regulations will take force as of February 1, 2022.

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-mass-burials-regulations/31619324.html

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Bell_ posted:

If Cryptobro used them instead of hoarding them, they might not be in decent shape to run your games.

LTT did a test of an ex-mining cards vs new-old stock/barely used review versions of the same cards.

Variation in performance was within the noise floor.

That said, trusting libertarians is, uh...

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8zlUUrFK-M

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The baby of an old bird look like baby of new bird?

Like I'm a three time college dropout but that seems kinda... lame.

I know it's exciting for things to be confirmed physically.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah they keep seeing how far they can push it, and nobody is going to stop them.

"Oh no, we meant ambush him with WORDS. Not our fault" And the chudge presiding agrees

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Digging a mass grave at the border and doing the suggestive eyebrow raise thing while pointing at it

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

IPCRESS posted:

LTT did a test of an ex-mining cards vs new-old stock/barely used review versions of the same cards.

Variation in performance was within the noise floor.

That said, trusting libertarians is, uh...

I think the concern is more that a video card that has been pegged for months or years is much more likely to fail than one that has been used as intended. Most computer components fail randomly after some amount of use, with natural variation around that failure point (and a long tail of devices that keep on chugging). A card used for mining is closer to that failure point, kind of like if you bought a hard drive that has constantly been written to for years. It might not be slower when you get it, but the odds of failure at any given time are higher because it is closer to the end of its effective life.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Its like grabbing a car from a demolition derby lot. There's a chance that car hasn't really been used. With the shape of the gpu market I'm taking that chance.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Godholio posted:

I'd like to see one with fuel costs included, then a separate one for fuel costs with crude prices AND oil company profits.

The big takeoff in the wheat-to-bread comparison one lines up to the well documented 2001-2015 bread cartel price fixing scandal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_price-fixing_in_Canada?wprov=sfla1

While increases in fuel and labor costs are certainly a factor, there's been a lot of ongoing shady poo poo in the Canadian AG industry that's still only coming to light.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I think the concern is more that a video card that has been pegged for months or years is much more likely to fail than one that has been used as intended. Most computer components fail randomly after some amount of use, with natural variation around that failure point (and a long tail of devices that keep on chugging). A card used for mining is closer to that failure point, kind of like if you bought a hard drive that has constantly been written to for years. It might not be slower when you get it, but the odds of failure at any given time are higher because it is closer to the end of its effective life.

GPU mining cards aren't pegged. My 3070 hit peak efficiency at around 40%

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Lmao Russia's 300 million dollar hypersonic missile boat went up in flames

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

we can't afford a bored pyromaniac dockworker gap

e: is this supposed to be their casus belli for Ukraine?

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 22, 2021

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Hypersonics are weird to me because I feel like I don't hear nearly enough about them outside very niche circles when I'd expect a full breathless media blitz about these weapons of the future.

e: maybe it's because I haven't taken the DC metro anywhere near the Pentagon since the plague times started.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It’s a missile that goes really fast. Not super interesting to the average punter.

Lasers though? Laser.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

is there really a meaningful threat difference between hypersonics and depressed trajectory SLBMs tho

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

shame on an IGA posted:

is there really a meaningful threat difference between hypersonics and depressed trajectory SLBMs tho

Launching SLBMs is uh… not always a good idea.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

shame on an IGA posted:

The stuff currently getting branded as 'hypersonics' tend to leverage aerodynamic controls a bit more than your typical lofted or depressed ballistic missile, which allows for things like late flight 'pull up' maneuvers or s-curves to add to the difficulty in hitting it with your $100M golden BB. However, at its core hypersonic is the same concept demonstrated with stuff like Dynasoar and the Space Shuttle back in the 70s and 80s just with the added advantages of modern supercomputer CFD modeling and control systems. It's no more a superweapon than LAZERZ were in the 2000s but the Pentagon needs a new thing to justify buying new toys.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

shame on an IGA posted:

From a MAD perspective? No. If Putin used Hypersonic as a first strike, there'd be enough weapons available for a counterstrike.

So its just a largely a propaganda move.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The interesting thing about hypersonic weapons isn’t that Russia and the US could nuke one another. That’s been true for generations.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

It's just a fast missile. Who cares?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Fast missiles can ptobably go right by defense systems and sink a billion dollar ship for pennies on the dollar.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

To be clear I wasn't saying anything about practical utility. I'm saying it sounds cool and futuristic just from the name and I'm surprised I haven't seen more of a defense grifter media blitz about it.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

bulletsponge13 posted:

It's just a fast missile. Who cares?

Missle go zoom

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
It’s also interesting that the Chinese have successful hypersonic missile tests and the US keeps failing.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Maybe I'm a dipshit, but I can't seem to give a gently caress that it's just a faster missile. To me it seems like some more Chicken Little poo poo to get people riled about something obvious and miss them drone striking Lithuania. These wonder weapon headlines happen as often as a Victoria's Secret sales.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah, at most assuming a non-nuclear payload: You sink a US Carrier with it. Good for you? Now you are at war, hope you have enough of them. Still more of a propaganda thing.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

No, you hit an early warning system with it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
bring back the Sprint cowards

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, at most assuming a non-nuclear payload: You sink a US Carrier with it. Good for you? Now you are at war, hope you have enough of them. Still more of a propaganda thing.

Nobody’s gonna target a carrier because that’s a red line for nuclear retaliation but the forward deployed gator navy and destroyers are going to make temporary reefs until the Chinese dreg them back up. They can cause a lot of damage in a limited short confrontation that China may push for to facilitate taking over Taiwan and other islands currently in dispute.
The thing is they are fairly cheap to make(compared to its target) and can be slapped on a corvette size ship for over the horizon targeting.
It’s not a “super weapon” but it can be a very effective piece of the puzzle.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

bulletsponge13 posted:

Maybe I'm a dipshit, but I can't seem to give a gently caress that it's just a faster missile. To me it seems like some more Chicken Little poo poo to get people riled about something obvious and miss them drone striking Lithuania. These wonder weapon headlines happen as often as a Victoria's Secret sales.

Yeah same. Seems like its ringing the bell to try to keep justifying why the DoD budget only went up after ending another war.

My lovely google news feed is basically 1-2 throwaway articles per day talking about the terrors of Chinese hypersonic weapons and how the Navy is losing the fight and our carriers are dead etc etc.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The good pill is a go:

https://twitter.com/felschwartz/status/1473703621724446732

Production ain't great to start with - needs a few more months to get ramped up and 80 million courses (not enough) through 2022. But hey, it's an ACTUAL TREATMENT

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crab Dad posted:

Nobody’s gonna target a carrier because that’s a red line for nuclear retaliation but the forward deployed gator navy and destroyers are going to make temporary reefs until the Chinese dreg them back up. They can cause a lot of damage in a limited short confrontation that China may push for to facilitate taking over Taiwan and other islands currently in dispute.
The thing is they are fairly cheap to make(compared to its target) and can be slapped on a corvette size ship for over the horizon targeting.
It’s not a “super weapon” but it can be a very effective piece of the puzzle.

I don't think China or Russia is gonna dare to do that either, because that's what gets a Carrier parked in your back yard.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CommieGIR posted:

I don't think China or Russia is gonna dare to do that either, because that's what gets a Carrier parked in your back yard.

I don't think it's a thing that happens isolated from other events. But if things start heating up, it's definitely a variable in the math on where the US chooses to park a carrier, or an LHD/whatever.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Hypersonic delivery vehicles and poo poo like Russia's ~Doomsday Torpedo~ are, first and foremost, an opening gambit in forcing the US/NATO to develop similar technologies and *counters* to them. And in Russia's case, it's cheaper to develop these "doomsday" weapons and troll the rest of the world with them than try to modernize their conventional forces like the Chinese are, because *they can't afford to*.

The most concerning issue about hypersonic delivery vehicles is that they'd be well-suited to decapitation strikes (when the tech matures), but it's not like that isn't known and being planned for. The biggest stink surrounding the Chinese tests is that what they've developed is essentially a FOBS.

Quasi-ballistic trajectories on ICBMs and MARVs have been a thing for a while. If the Chinese and Russians want to get exotic and give new "legs" to the old-fashioned nuclear triad, so be it. Their adversaries will either match them or just build more missiles.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
j.j. fad needs to make a new song now, HYPERSONIC

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

On one hand, you can go enjoy a car.

On the other hand, people with garage queens really aren't that different than NFTers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Current events: this omicron wave is bad and I’m officially freaking out about it.

Edit: on lighter note.