Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Dr Christmas posted:

Nothing surprising about her bonuses, but I haven't seen the change in nomenclature from +Untainted to -Corruption before.

Yeah funny thing is right now in WH2 negative values for religion don't work at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
-2 turns to training time for Ice Witches is interesting though. It implies they have at least a 3 turn time by default so kostaltyn might have to leave Witches cooking for a long long time comparatively.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Ravenfood posted:

-2 turns to training time for Ice Witches is interesting though. It implies they have at least a 3 turn time by default so kostaltyn might have to leave Witches cooking for a long long time comparatively.

The screenshot from this campaign mechanics article shows six turns!
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-warhammer-3-kislev-campaign-mechanics/

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

The screenshot from this campaign mechanics article shows six turns!
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-warhammer-3-kislev-campaign-mechanics/

Oh nice! Given how much better traits are now in general (compare +5% campaign movement for the hero alone to some of the newer ones like the branchwraith's stuff) I'm really curious to see what effects you get for a 6 (or 4) turn investment for your hero, especially when you consider you're losing out on actively fielding that hero and using it combat or to farm research speed, etc.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They seem to have realized how corny the announcer voice is. So many bad jokes.

They’re leaning into it and it’s great.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
+6 public order is wild, particularly on VH

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Vagabong posted:

They might be playing on S.F.O, which has most buildings contribute a few units to the garrison, and have forgotten to mention it. It would explain the economic issues; I think S.F.O pushes pretty hard towards raiding and sacking being WE's main source of income.

My bad, I am on SFO and didn't mention. It just seems that even in vanilla Warhammer if your Garrison contains more than 20 units then they don't all show up. Didn't know if there was a specific way to pick which ones I'd actually see. I guess in SFO most buildings will add a unit to the garrison that relates, like building a Cavalry building will add a unit of horsemen to the garrison.

As for economy, I only have the one Magic Forest surrounded by settlements that only have 4 units on Garrison duty, so they get wiped out early. My stack is mostly various Dryads and animals but I have a big Treeman, some flyers, and Ogre cav.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Kostaltyn faction bonuses. Can we just link to Reddit? I’ve seen other people do it.

Going by his lore I’d have thought he’d have the bonuses to control and cleansing corruption that they gave Katarin. He doesn’t have the “Recommended First Campaign” thing Katarin has.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 21, 2021

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Looks like the Patriarchy continues at least in this house

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ruthless people. They'll get what they deserve

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

Kostaltyn faction bonuses. Can we just link to Reddit? I’ve seen other people do it.

Going by his lore I’d have thought he’d have the bonuses to control and cleansing corruption that they gave Katarin. He doesn’t have the “Recommended First Campaign” thing Katarin has.

I like that he has a relations penalty but not vice versa. Also i agree, i would have thought he would have corruption cleansing at least while katarin had more of a control bonus.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Ward save for embedded heroes and increased devotion for hero actions seem kind of at odd with each other, unless the hero being attached to an army counts as doing its hero action every turn.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
it means you want to make a lot of patriarchs

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ethiser posted:

Ward save for embedded heroes and increased devotion for hero actions seem kind of at odd with each other, unless the hero being attached to an army counts as doing its hero action every turn.

Maybe he just gets so many patriarchs that he can do both. I know I still use mages for the occasional research steal even when they are usually embedded in an army.

It also depends on what actions they have available. Either way it's more flexibility in how to use your heroes. That said I wish it wasn't there and was instead some kind of passive bonus because incentivizing repeated actions like the HE noble spam (before they changed it to be a multi-turn gain instead of a one-time thing) is just frustrating.

E: and I'm going to be boring and start with Katarin. Kislev just looks fun and I'm a sucker for their aesthetic.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 21, 2021

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

it means you want to make a lot of patriarchs

Hero doom stacks are always fun to experiment with, so I’ll definitely try a patriarch stack in my first kostaltyn run

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The new meta: Daddystacks

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

The melee attack buff for horse archers is kinda weird, seems Iike it would be a pretty niche thing. Unless maybe horse archers are somewhat hybrid units like Kislev infantry?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

When the new Kislev dlc adds giants, the optimal alteration to this strategy is instantly made clear.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

chaleski posted:

The melee attack buff for horse archers is kinda weird, seems Iike it would be a pretty niche thing. Unless maybe horse archers are somewhat hybrid units like Kislev infantry?

I send my Ellyrian Reaver Archers into melee roughly half the time. Being able to charge archers is a large part of the reason they're so good. The same is true of WE and GS skirmish cav.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

chaleski posted:

It might just be a thematic reason. Given it mentions "Kossars, Kossovite Dervishes and Horse Archers," that feels like it's representing the less regimented segments of the faction, as opposed to more formal formations such as the Winged Hussars and the like.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

yikes! posted:

I send my Ellyrian Reaver Archers into melee roughly half the time. Being able to charge archers is a large part of the reason they're so good. The same is true of WE and GS skirmish cav.

Rear charging wavering units can work out pretty well sometimes, and light cav in general are pretty good at whittling down routing units to prevent them from rallying.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

chaleski posted:

The roster release described horse archers as basically dervishes + bows and calls out their decent melee skills at the same time. I mentally put them somewhere analogously to Ellyrian Reavers.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Ranged cav are a pretty lovely hammer, but sometimes that's all you need. You better believe I'll be hurling them at anything that might break.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
The penalty for being rear charged is pretty severe. You can definitely cause a chain route with light skirmisher cav. The bonus to melee should also help them run down fleeing units.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah I think Kislev's horse archers are supposed to be on the upper end of light cavalry. Able to fight if they absolutely need to. Better than Brettonian Yeomen at least.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

yikes! posted:

Don't forget mugging artillery and riding down fleeing enemies. Both of which can be done by normal horse archers but it takes much longer.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Also if you're playing AI you can sometimes pull away a flank and give your main line an easier time.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Ravenfood posted:

I'm curious how this interacts with the "get to make trait choices each turn" thing they have going - do they actually usually not get a choice each turn and it balances out, does this let you go for harder traits faster? Will be curious to see what things you can do with that. Honestly, Lizardmen factions/leaders all need something like that to interact with the geomantic web and actually make that thing interesting instead of boring as hell.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ravenfood posted:

The roster release described horse archers as basically dervishes + bows and calls out their decent melee skills at the same time. I mentally put them somewhere analogously to Ellyrian Reavers.

Yeah, Ellyrian Reaver Archers are actually extremely loving sick at running down missile troops and other light units on normal battle difficulty in TWW2, so I'd wager that's the intentional use of the kislevite horse archers.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
A cheap unit of fast router chasers can be very valuable even in campaign, making sure black orcs or some dinosaurs get eaten by wolves instead of coming back to the fight can be worth it, you just need to not send them against a crowd of elite infantry and then leave them there which is beyond the micro most people want to invest in the campaign.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Brettonia shouldn't have mounted archers; mounted archery required a very specific cultural skill set that is miles away from Arthurian legend and 14th century France, and furthermore

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
They posted a short description of Ku’gath’s campaign mechanics a while ago, but now we have a description of what exactly he’ll do:

Note “recruitment health,” referring to Nurgle’s unique cyclical recruitment mechanics in which his daemons are recruited instantly but under-strength.

I think we just have the two Cathayan factions left. We have the 9th lord in January and Slaanesh’s campaign mechanics to look forward to, and I guess any other updates will be new surprises.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 22, 2021

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Dr Christmas posted:

I think we just have the two Cathayan factions left. We have the 9th lord in January and Slaanesh’s campaign mechanics to loom forward to, and I guess any other updates will be new surprises.

Reddit has a post from the community manager saying we should expect YouTubers to be hands-on by the last week or two of January.

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
So against my better judgment Im back into this game! I started a lizardmen campaign but now steam is having a sale!

Which dlc campaign is best?

I don't have any of the dlcs yet but norsica which I liked and blood for the blood god. Have warhammer 1 and 2.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Dr Christmas posted:

They posted a short description of Ku’gath’s campaign mechanics a while ago, but now we have a description of what exactly he’ll do:

Note “recruitment health,” referring to Nurgle’s unique cyclical recruitment mechanics in which his daemons are recruited instantly but under-strength.

I think we just have the two Cathayan factions left. We have the 9th lord in January and Slaanesh’s campaign mechanics to look forward to, and I guess any other updates will be new surprises.

Can anyone else recruit Nurglings? Aren't those faction effects kind of cosmetic?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

doingitwrong posted:

Can anyone else recruit Nurglings? Aren't those faction effects kind of cosmetic?

Assumably other Nurgle legendary lords will be able to recruit them as well

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

doingitwrong posted:

For the Chaos factions now, yes, the "faction effects" are synonymous with race, but they are presumably going to make DLC for existing factions and the next Nurgle lord will be getting different ones.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 22, 2021

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kaza42 posted:

Assumably other Nurgle legendary lords will be able to recruit them as well
And regular lords in Ku'Gath's faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

And regular lords in Ku'Gath's faction.

That's a Faction bonus, so all lords in Ku'Gath's faction will get the bonus to nurglings