Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Prima Donna tank in Smileton asking me not to use my summons because they are too big.

I tell them /petsize all small.

They retort by claiming they shouldn't have to be the one ~burdened~ making the adjustment and that I was being selfish :confused:

Burdened? Really? I guess I could just cast Ruin III and Tri-disaster the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Oh they released the first raid tier? Thought that wasn't coming until .1

.01, which was yesterday :v:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kazy posted:

The Ivalice story was awful and boring and honestly makes me hate the raids.

:hmmyes:

But also I hate the raids anyway

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

6.1 will be the first tier of the alliance raid. The normal 8-player raid came out yesterday, and the savage version will be out in a couple weeks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of raiding, what's the best way to do savage raids for someone who probably can't be counted on to commit to a static? (Assuming the answer isn't just "lol maybe don't")

I tend to come and go from games kinda on a whim. As obsessed as I am with FFXIV now, at some point within the next month or two I'll probably go "ehh that's enough MMOs for a while" and then not play for like 8 months. So joining a static would probably be a bad idea. But I've never done anything beyond extreme trials in FFXIV and it seems fun so I'd like to give it a try.

GW2 has some pretty great Discords for things like that (general raid community discords that make it easy to put together learning/training groups) but I don't know if FFXIV has anything similar. Or do people just go through PF?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

That’s when Ultimate comes out

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You can just PF entire tiers, honestly.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Harrow posted:

Speaking of raiding, what's the best way to do savage raids for someone who probably can't be counted on to commit to a static? (Assuming the answer isn't just "lol maybe don't")

I tend to come and go from games kinda on a whim. As obsessed as I am with FFXIV now, at some point within the next month or two I'll probably go "ehh that's enough MMOs for a while" and then not play for like 8 months. So joining a static would probably be a bad idea. But I've never done anything beyond extreme trials in FFXIV and it seems fun so I'd like to give it a try.

GW2 has some pretty great Discords for things like that (general raid community discords that make it easy to put together learning/training groups) but I don't know if FFXIV has anything similar. Or do people just go through PF?

You can do it in party finder and be successful. Personally I prefer a static since I will have a good idea of how successful we'll be on a given night (and to avoid running into people who are just insufferably toxic) but a ton of people have completed entire savage tiers with randos.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i found party finder savage raiding to be extremely slow, at least back in eden. the people who have finished fights will use the [Duty Complete] tag, so your only hope will be slogging through practice groups that may not have seen anything of the fights in question

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thundarr posted:

You can do it in party finder and be successful. Personally I prefer a static since I will have a good idea of how successful we'll be on a given night (and to avoid running into people who are just insufferably toxic) but a ton of people have completed entire savage tiers with randos.

Oh I would absolutely prefer a static, I just know I'm too likely to flake to join one. I wouldn't want to join a static and then bounce before we even finish the tier because I got the urge to play something else.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Badger of Basra posted:

the nier raids were boring and yoko taro is a hack

Good music, though.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

bewilderment posted:

People who only want the Crystal Tower raids are pathetic babies who deserve no sympathy.
I can't make a comment on how common it is overall but anecdotally in the past two or so weeks I've run into at least like, 4 people who were 80+ on a job queueing while stripping their gear to guarantee a CT run (which was obvious because they were in my alliance and their HP would jump from like triple digits to ~6k), in a group that had no newbies in it.

I get that someone else could have simply been running ADR on a job below 60 but like, regardless of how much effect it actually had, I always get annoyed when I notice someone ilvl abusing. Just play all the raids you cowards! :argh:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I hate playing black mage but I had to get it to 90 somehow. :shrug:

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Now i just need to level up a dps because everyone in my FC decided to go tank this xpac

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

bewilderment posted:

People who only want the Crystal Tower raids are pathetic babies who deserve no sympathy.

Insert name here posted:

I get that someone else could have simply been running ADR on a job below 60 but like, regardless of how much effect it actually had, I always get annoyed when I notice someone ilvl abusing. Just play all the raids you cowards! :argh:

This is a weird and inappropriate entitlement about other people's time and preferences

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

surely the queues have impro-well poo poo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nah, screw 'em, they're intentionally forcing me into boring content. I actively dislike World of Darkness and it's the only thing I seem to get anymore.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Kazy posted:

The Ivalice story was awful and boring and honestly makes me hate the raids.

I started skipping cutscenes near the end and Orbonne coincidentally turned into my favorite alliance raid

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

isk posted:

This is a weird and inappropriate entitlement about other people's time and preferences

Much like when people complain about bad players or honest healers in their groups, it's one thing when your playstyle preference only affects you, and another when it starts affecting others that you're matched with (or is so widespread that it straight-up affects the probability of what raid will show up in alliance roulette).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

isk posted:

What no it's not. Manipulating the roulette like that is really lovely. If you don't have time/enjoy the later raids don't fuckin queue for a roulette

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Regy Rusty posted:

What no it's not. Manipulating the roulette like that is really lovely. If you don't have time/enjoy the later raids don't fuckin queue for a roulette

counter argument: make me

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I've actually gotten Void Ark a lot lately, though I did get thrown into Labyrinth yesterday. It turns out reaper has the same problem as old summoner, it's really boring if you get synced too low.

Like at least you always have your debuff and movement skills, but without any of the gauge mechanics you end up in danger of falling asleep.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

Much like when people complain about bad players or honest healers in their groups, it's one thing when your playstyle preference only affects you, and another when it starts affecting others that you're matched with (or is so widespread that it straight-up affects the probability of what raid will show up in alliance roulette).

I'd stop manipulating my ilevel (though I'm not as extreme as some people, I just block off the Nier raids) if they increased the rewards for doing longer and harder content. Same reason I don't trial roulette anymore. The rewards, in my eyes, are not equal to the difficulty and effort for many of the things the roulette might put me into.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

isk posted:

Syrcus tower is boring so imo its good that they get poo poo for it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Deviant posted:

counter argument: make me

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Cythereal posted:

I'd stop manipulating my ilevel (though I'm not as extreme as some people, I just block off the Nier raids) if they increased the rewards for doing longer and harder content. Same reason I don't trial roulette anymore. The rewards, in my eyes, are not equal to the difficulty and effort for many of the things the roulette might put me into.

Also true. If getting Orbonne was like getting Praetorium, I'd be fine doing Orbonne. I mean not on black mage as I loathe over 50 black mage, but on other classes.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
No idea why they haven't split every expacs raids into their own roulette with increasing rewards for each. Would probably even make it easier for people trying to progress.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

People are gonna do what they're gonna do and that's why when I queue my second monitor is ready to go with Netflix while I sleepwalk through mechanics I've done a hundred times before.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i think it would be appropriate to scale up the health on the labyrinth / syrcus / void ark bosses to bring them back in line with what they were like on launch, and bring clear times up to around the level of the other raids. that would make those raids more fun to play and remove the incentive for ilevel abuse. i wouldn't mind alliance roulette taking longer on average, since there was always a chance it would be one of the longer raids anyway

it's only a distant memory now, but bosses like glasya labolas were really fun on release when there were mechanics to them

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

isk posted:

It is weird that people think they're entitled to control how 23 other people spend their time, yes.

e: I personally don't care about getting forced into CT that much, but just lmao at this remark when it literally applies to the roulette manipulators way more than to people expressing their opinion about being annoyed.

Gruckles fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 22, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

isk posted:

lol the only ones imposing on other people here are the roulette riggers

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I mean I’m generally in favor of increasing roulette rewards so sure

Although honestly I’d rather do the Nier raids than the Ivalice ones, mechanics-wise. Maybe it’s just my brain but the last Ivalice raid is trickier for me than any of the Nier ones.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I really don't understand the argument that Alliance Duty Roulette's rewards are too low to make non-Crystal Tower raids worth it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Venuz Patrol posted:

i think it would be appropriate to scale up the health on the labyrinth / syrcus / void ark bosses to bring them back in line with what they were like on launch, and bring clear times up to around the level of the other raids. that would make those raids more fun to play and remove the incentive for ilevel abuse. i wouldn't mind alliance roulette taking longer on average, since there was always a chance it would be one of the longer raids anyway

it's only a distant memory now, but bosses like glasya labolas were really fun on release when there were mechanics to them

Conversely, if they did this I might stop running alliance raid roulettes at all. I do not like raiding in this game at all, but if the roulette can be set to something quick and easy with decent rewards, I'll do that.

Harrow posted:

Although honestly I’d rather do the Nier raids than the Ivalice ones, mechanics-wise. Maybe it’s just my brain but the last Ivalice raid is trickier for me than any of the Nier ones.

I never unlocked the Ivalice raids in the first place. :v:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Just put a scaling minimum ilevel based on your level and/or what raids you have unlocked and make roulette manipulations outright impossible

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cythereal posted:

Conversely, if they did this I might stop running alliance raid roulettes at all.

Honestly? Good.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

I really don't understand the argument that Alliance Duty Roulette's rewards are too low to make non-Crystal Tower raids worth it.

People don't want to try and those are the easiest to AFK through and force everyone else to do the heavy lifting for them. That's it really.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My point was more that ADR gives insane rewards no matter what you get, but that also applies

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Harrow posted:

I mean I’m generally in favor of increasing roulette rewards so sure

Yeah I mean I think the NieR raids were actually fun, and Ivalice was pretty crap in my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

multijoe posted:

Just put a scaling minimum ilevel based on your level and/or what raids you have unlocked and make roulette manipulations outright impossible

I would like this.