Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Beorning class is 75% off for a few more days. It's a favorite class for me and several folks around here. I think this is the cheapest they ever go, so if you were on the fence here you are.

A while back there was a group that ran all bear raids. Haven't seem them around lately, wish I had been at cap and geared to join at the time. Not efficient, but hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

No idea how they play on higher levels yet, but my yellow-line lv.34 beorning wipes out pack after pack of on-level signature mobs without effort. Definitely a class worth getting if you’re into soloing group content.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I was just grinding rep in the barrows to finish off Bree and got some barrow cheese, then ate it to free inventory space while thinking to myself "you gotta be pretty dumb to eat cheese from a tomb."

Now I've got a 15 minute duration DOT on me and earned a title: "The Unwise"

poo poo like that is why I like this game. Why yes, you are unwise for eating tomb cheese.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

If you don't mind reading spoilers, the hidden achievements page of the LOTRO wiki has some other food-related achievements.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I don't really care about spoilers, but I also kind of enjoy being as dumb as possible to cheevo hunt.

Like that well in Moria. First time I saw it I went "I wonder. . . . " and dove down it to my death. And yup, dumb achievement.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
That well is also a fun breadcrumb. I remember after splatting at the bottom and realizing it was an entirely different part of the zone than anywhere I had been and then trying to find a way down there legitimately to explore. I think the epic quest takes you there eventually but wandering is half the fun.

Did Moria have a different dev team? It's such a huge jump in design quality and afterwards it takes the game a while (years of releases IRL, fortunately you can fast forward these days) to get near that level again.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Cyrano4747 posted:

Like that well in Moria. First time I saw it I went "I wonder. . . . " and dove down it to my death. And yup, dumb achievement.

There's another one where you have to chuck yourself into 6 different pits in Moria.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don't really care about spoilers, but I also kind of enjoy being as dumb as possible to cheevo hunt.

when Gandalf told Pippin to throw himself in next time you really took that literally

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

gently caress the Scuttledells.

That is all.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Looks like the Curator is returning on the 24th of December for two weeks. Time to stock up on all the FOMO mote poo poo before she's removed until the spring festival.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Anyone know what you're supposed to do if the LI change hosed up the "baby's first LI" quest chain you have to do to unlock Moria?

I got an old-system weapon and didn't level it up enough to do the "first reforge" quest. Now I have the new-system first reforge quest, the guy won't reforge my weapon (is there a character level requirement? I'm at 48), and the weapon itself no longer earns xp towards an old-system reforge (if such a thing is even still possible).

If the wiki is correct about the new LI system, I should be able to reforge as often as every character level, right?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hello Sailor posted:

Anyone know what you're supposed to do if the LI change hosed up the "baby's first LI" quest chain you have to do to unlock Moria?

I got an old-system weapon and didn't level it up enough to do the "first reforge" quest. Now I have the new-system first reforge quest, the guy won't reforge my weapon (is there a character level requirement? I'm at 48), and the weapon itself no longer earns xp towards an old-system reforge (if such a thing is even still possible).

If the wiki is correct about the new LI system, I should be able to reforge as often as every character level, right?

I think you reforge every 5 levels, at least that's what I've been getting.

So if I'm understanding right you have an old LI but you're past the quest that gets your your first LI, and you need to do the quest that reforges it to get into Moria?

I think the answer to this is going to be to buy a new style LI with that scrip that you get for burning traceries. Try appraising the old LI to burn it, and if that gives you enough to buy a weapon from that guy in Rivendell you're set. If not you'll need to get more scrip, which is where having an alt with access to Moria would come in handy because there are a few really, really short and easy quests that throw traceries at you, and you can disenchant those.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I've got a few more things to clean up in another game but I'm planning to return soon and I've got a level 69 warden at the end of Mirkwood. Part of me just wants to start over, yet again, especially reading about issues returning midlevel players are having. Someone on reddit was complaining they and their husband returned to Rohan and their legendary bridles were broken and they could only find a level 50 legendary tracery for barter in the level 85 zone.

I've done start through Lothlorien 3 times over the years. My original guardian, a loremaster on the first legendary server, and then my warden I intended to complete the story with. I might also be better off waiting for them to finish the new system with whatever seasonal stuff they are adding next year before I come back.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
I'm in the same boat coming back for the holiday on a 46 Beorning. Should I just follow the epic quest into Moria? Managed to grab the quest promotion so I'm also opening to starting fresh on a non-brawler on the Landroval server.

Could use a kin invite on Beakbeak if possible

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
War horses are utterly broken and are very much in a need of an overhaul. Since they don't scale at higher levels, the only benefit they provide is a speed boost, but having to deal with Tokyo drifting everywhere makes them fairly useless. Not only that, but they're incredibly weak compared to normal mounts at those high levels, and of course there's no new legendary bridles.

I enjoy Lotro as a tour through middle earth, but there are so many broken systems.

Also, if I decided to gear up at 140, what's the progression?. I'm capped at motes of enchantment, but that's all 130 and below gear, correct? So...just do daily missions to get Ember gear and then do dungeons/raids/instances? I don't think I've ever actually made it to the level cap before it got raised before.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

People brought up the LI bridles repeatedly during the beta of u30 and basically the response we got was :shrug:

I really wish they would fix Mounted Combat, it's not god awful as a system but I agree with you about the drift. I've always said that if they increased the turn speed of all horses by 25% it would make that system feel miles better but at this point they really haven't touched it in years. Maybe once they get u32 out and the new LI track in they can address it, but I guess it really depends on what their plans for "ohgodthenewamazonshowiscomingoutwehavetodosomething" are

If they really think that they are going to get this game on consoles and get new players playing it, it really does have to be addressed though

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I like pretty much everything about the mounted combat system apart from, well, the actual mounted combat. :v:

Having your mount level up and being able to spec it and customize it is a cool concept, and much like the concept of legendary items it feels very appropriate to the setting.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
The turn speed is good once you slot the appropriate bridle relic. Getting that requires grinding crafting, though

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I don't believe it's possible to make/advance a new bridle after the LI revamp.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think mounted combat is officially cut loose.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yeah, I couldn't slot old bridles I had in my bank.

That's got to really screw with Rohan, along with kind of loving over anyone who didn't already have a maxed out bridle.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

xZAOx posted:

Yeah, I couldn't slot old bridles I had in my bank.

That's got to really screw with Rohan, along with kind of loving over anyone who didn't already have a maxed out bridle.

oof, I haven't gotten to Rohan yet.

How hosed are we talking? Don't bother until they fix it hosed, or your can slog through it hosed?

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

For what it's worth, I just took a newly minted loremaster through Rohan with no bridle and it was just fine. Mounted combat sucked no more than I remember it from days past.

Everything is so overpowered vs. landscape at lower levels that it almost doesn't matter.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Hello Sailor posted:

Probably just need to hit lvl 50 and then try to reforge again. The next time i got the opportunity was at lvl 56.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
It's been a long time since I set mine up - I was more thinking from a speed, turning, etc standpoint. A lot of the "make this usable as a mount" stuff I thought came from the bridal, yeah? Or was it just combat stuff?

It would suck to only really have normal mounts for longer travel.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

If they're not bothering to update bridles, I guess that means it's even more unlikely that we'll ever get war-goats.

e: Though TIL that this thing exists: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Elderslade_Battle-goat

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 23, 2021

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

xZAOx posted:

It's been a long time since I set mine up - I was more thinking from a speed, turning, etc standpoint. A lot of the "make this usable as a mount" stuff I thought came from the bridal, yeah? Or was it just combat stuff?

It would suck to only really have normal mounts for longer travel.

I think you could slot an agility bonus on the bridle, but for straight line travel the big horses are still pretty useful. Apparently SSG has gated the light/heavy combat mounts behind the store now, so everybody starts with a medium.

The worst part is how laggy (some of?) the servers have gotten. Love to rubberband 30 seconds into the past.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Rudeboy Detective posted:

The worst part is how laggy (some of?) the servers have gotten. Love to rubberband 30 seconds into the past.

This was the biggest issue with war steeds from the very start. I've never had a smooth experience riding them, not even in daily instances where the load on traffic is the lightest. They should just abandon the whole "separate system" business and remove the horrible control scheme. Just give the steeds big health pools and type based mounted skills. Other games have done this, multiple times and very successfully.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Getting a mount in Guild Wars 2 after spending dozens of levels riding war steeds here was a real eye opener. Rohan Doriftu is awful and lol if they completely ignored bridles.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Non-latest expacs are on sale again ($10/each), if you didn't get them during the black friday sale.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

WInterfest has been going on for more years than I can count, but today is the first year that I've found out that the 'bring cheer to the snowbeasts' quest can be completed on one snowbeast by clicking the button three times as soon as it becomes available again. Not finding three different beasts, or waiting for the one beast to fall asleep three times.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
Another Festive Tip is there's no time limit on the first table for the eating contest. Pick up the quest and come back to the table after finishing the other quests, and you shouldn't have anyone else at the other tables.

The travel skill/milestone cooldowns are on sale. They really come in handy during the Epic Quests where you have to ping pong between zones. I added the store's Return to Rivendell this year. The place has always been kind of important, but it also has all the tracery bartering shelves now.

Also, if you don't already know and need some 50-95 traceries or just turning them into script, there are two Dwarf NPCs in Dolven View in Moria that offer 6 quests for a tracery + enhancement runes. You need an infused garnet/sapphire/adamant though, they drop from mobs in Moria and a couple of quests there reward them. There's also an Elf NPC in Eregion, just outside the entrance to the walls of Moria, who uses the infused gems for 3 small fellowship quests with traceries + enhancement runes. I don't see the Elf mentioned much, so you may not know.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Note that at least one of those Elf's quests really do need to be done with a fellowship, just because there are two things that need to be done at once and you physically need two players for it.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Figured out how to fix the problem I had with being stuck near the end of the quest chain to unlock Moria (have the old-system version legendary weapon the quest chain gives you, now unable to reforge it under the new system to continue the chain). Posting here in case anyone else comes back to the game and runs into it.

If you have the 200 Ancient Script (it's an account currency, not a per-character currency) to buy a new legendary weapon, someone else can use a Simple Rally Horn to summon you to the LI exchange room on the second floor of Elrond's house. You can't pass through yourself (and the LIs are per character bind on acquire), because people who haven't finished the quest are unable to use the door to the exchange, but you're not barred from being teleported there. There weren't any kin members on and it was 6AM CST, so I asked in /world and a kind person helped me out.

If you don't have the 200 script and don't have any characters that can get it, I guess you could take one of your other characters (or make a new one) who hasn't started the quest chain yet and play them enough to do it and earn the script. Otherwise, you're stuck filing a customer service ticket, waiting forever for a GM to look at it, convincing them that you've tried everything else and the problem you're having requires GM intervention, then managing to be on at the same time as the GM when they go looking for you.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

^ Glad you found a work around.

Maybe obvious enough for someone to figure out, but if you get an error when you want to equip your new version LIs if you have any old versions equipped. You can have 2 old or 2 new but not one of each, it bars you from equipping the opposite kind. Obvious in retrospect but it stumped me for a moment because I was tired and unequipped my spear and shield instead of my spear and javelin and didn't realize I still had the old javelin on.

I finished Mirkwood finally, in a volley of skirmishes and instances. The epilogue starting with step 2 apparently wants dungeon and raid runs, so I'll backburner that for 40 levels. On to Isengard, eventually.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

bagrada posted:

^ Glad you found a work around.

Maybe obvious enough for someone to figure out, but if you get an error when you want to equip your new version LIs if you have any old versions equipped. You can have 2 old or 2 new but not one of each, it bars you from equipping the opposite kind. Obvious in retrospect but it stumped me for a moment because I was tired and unequipped my spear and shield instead of my spear and javelin and didn't realize I still had the old javelin on.

I finished Mirkwood finally, in a volley of skirmishes and instances. The epilogue starting with step 2 apparently wants dungeon and raid runs, so I'll backburner that for 40 levels. On to Isengard, eventually.

The epilogue there was completely solo-able up until the final thing, which isn't a raid but a fellowship one. I've backburnered it too, but you can get right up to that final step with ease.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

I'm debating whether to pick up my 40-something Beorning for a first time Moria playthrough or getting a LM or Minstrel to that level range. Love the atmosphere in each region and looking forward to having a much easier time with the recently unlocked quest content from the 2021 giveaway.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Been using this as a general "Where to Level" guide for new players. LOTRO Quest Guide (Reddit)

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

The epilogue there was completely solo-able up until the final thing, which isn't a raid but a fellowship one. I've backburnered it too, but you can get right up to that final step with ease.

Huh I turned in the first one and immediately got the one for the 6 man Sammath Gul from the same dwarf. I guess I can go around grabbing the others to do the small fellowship and solo quests.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Yeah, found out Sammath Gûl is still rough even as a level 95 Warden. Managed to solo everything up to Gorothúl but that was it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

If any of you guys need/want to run dungeons I've got a lvl 130 minstrel and am typically on every day. (Fitzgig on Landroval)