Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Ran Valkyrie through a solo game against Rhino. Lost the first one on threat. Enchantress came out and I just could get enough going after it to be able to remove seduced and to get the threat back down. I tweaked the deck a bit again after that and won the second game without much troubles.

Here’s my pro’s with Valkyrie: she can pack a punch, and her cards where you can grab any minion you want to draw 2 cards means you can setup a lot of combos to be able to help with thwarting or overkill. The Death Glow mechanic is pretty unique.

Here’s her cons: She has absolutely zero resource generation and the Death Glow mechanic really actually required it. Because Death Glow needs to be paid for you can bounce it around a lot. It also means you can’t load up your deck with too much high cost stuff otherwise you just won’t get anything out. Valhalla helps a bit, and I got a Quinncarrier, TBE, and Avengers Mansion so I can eventually pay for stuff decently. It still would be nice if she had a card where you could kneel to reduce one the cost of just her cards by one. It’d help to negate death glow cost and help with her threat reducers. Her specific ally kind sucks and I think almost should be a 1 cost for how restricted her ability and stats are.

Overall, I think Valkyrie is a neat hero, but she’s solid B tier. Fun to play as, but doesn’t have the cards to be a huge threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

PaybackJack posted:

FFG dropped all their competitive card games except Keyforge which is currently on hiatus. I don't know if they lost the rights to aGoT or not, but the competitive scene kind of dried up and the last pack released was kind of a "make good" on all the cards that would have been designed by players and/or were awaited cards from the previous version. So that announcement was kind of like "We aren't printing anything more for this game now, and probably never will but who knows."

I think they could technically release more stuff for it, but the appeal of the license was basically destroyed by the ending of the show so there's little point in doing so. If the ending of the show had been wildly popular and it was still a "hot IP" or whatever I bet they'd still be releasing cards, but I think the public really really soured on the IP in general and the licensing was doing a lot of the work for that game.

(I say this as someone who thought the IP was bad well before the show ended and wasn't too fond of the game either.)

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Fetterkey posted:

I think they could technically release more stuff for it, but the appeal of the license was basically destroyed by the ending of the show so there's little point in doing so. If the ending of the show had been wildly popular and it was still a "hot IP" or whatever I bet they'd still be releasing cards, but I think the public really really soured on the IP in general and the licensing was doing a lot of the work for that game.

(I say this as someone who thought the IP was bad well before the show ended and wasn't too fond of the game either.)

I don't know how caught up the game was to the books which it was actually based off, so it's more likely that we could see something get pumped out if the next book ever comes out.

You're definitely right that the IP took a hit with the last season but you never know if that will wash out of the public's mouth by the time the next show comes along.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

IcePhoenix posted:

Finished my Gamora deck :toot:. Not sure when our group is going to be able to play next, hopefully at least once before Thanksgiving, but now I can stop fretting about finishing it and just get excited to see how bad/good it works. Pretty happy all things considered though.

https://marvelcdb.com/deck/view/214977

I know the song doesn't fit the time period from Guardians shut up.

We finally got to play this past weekend, started The Mad Titan's Shadow. Team was an Aggression Nebula ally deck, Leadership Captain Marvel (basically built around setting up Avenger's Assemble megaturns), and Justice Wasp (had some fun combos in there to just completely dump threat off the board).

I actually had a bit of an unlucky shuffle (Mansion, Helicarrier, Sword, Groot, and one of my Keens were all in the bottom ten cards of my deck) but between an early vest and the rest of the deck working how I wanted it to I only had to flip down once the entire game, despite getting absolutely dumped on by the encounter deck. Since I was eating a lot of bad stuff but able to just handle it without help it allowed the rest of the group to focus on Ebony Maw and I was able to pitch in here and there. Having 3 defense and just being able to defend against attacks (or just take it and use crosscounter) to nullify tons of damage and then deal with obstacles solely off the strength of events + gamora's passives was :discourse:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I had massive fun going with a Flash Thompson/Peter Parker combo. Full upgrade black cat. Peter mostly to block.

Eventually she was kitted out with Boot Camp, Side arm, inspired, flying avenger car, mighty avengers, and the guardian spear. Avoiding retaliate is essential in a boss killer, so glad side arm lets you do that.
“Six health tough enemy? drat, that’s going to eat one of her activations…”

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Valkyrie is rough. Her kit really wasn’t well thought out. I have no clue why they shoved “visit Valhalla in there” it can only be used in Alter Ego. It would have worked way better as a 2 cost location that lets you constantly recur a card so you could play chooser of the slain more. I’d also get rid of one of her attack events and slot in a 1 cost card that lets her kneel to reduce the cost of death glow once per round. It would go a long way to be able to have her go on the offensive more. As is I find myself constantly on the defensive. I’m trying solo Klaw and she just can’t keep up. Her resource generation can keep up with the damage output she needs, and her thwart leaves much to be desired. I could swap to Justice or leadership but I feel that would slow down her damage output.

Edit: I’ll be honest and say she’s probably the worst designed hero since Groot. I don’t think she’s Hulk bad, but there’s obvious issues. I think I need to try her doubles. I think her kit just can’t do solo.

Edit: Changed up the deck a tiny tiny bit and finally won against Klaw. Had a round where I drew 10+ cards. Avengers mansion for one. Hall of heroes for 3. Her 2 chooser of the slain for 4, bring it
for 3, and then Valhalla for 1.

That let me wipe the board and get threat to almost zero and put me in a position where I was then able to go on an offensive. Him getting a tough slowed me down, but I was able to keep his threat down enough to where I was able to unleash 12 damage in one turn to finish him off.

Valkyrie is great when she works, but I think she’s really a multi-player hero where she wants to pair with someone who can really thwart so he can flip a bit more often and build up hands and worry about pumping out damage. Her issue is she has such a weak kit. It feels like it should be stronger but it isn’t. It’s not Hulk bad, but I’m not sure she’s totally fixable like Thor is.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 1, 2021

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Spider box deluxe has new information up, I'm linking to the hall of heroes just to make it easier to talk about the cards themselves. https://hallofheroeslcg.com/sinister-motives/

Miles seems interesting, probably really good against everything but the hardest villains. Innate stun/confuse effects that trigger off 4-5(guessing at the real total here) cards in your deck. The magic comes in having probably 2 of the card that gives him a form change, letting him drop down to heal and reshuffle one of his spider cards back into his deck so you should probably, have either a stun or confuse up on the villain most turns. He hasn't shown us a resource, card draw, or source of ready though so he might not be the big winner.

Ghost-Spider on the other hand looks great. What will probably be a very reliable source of readying, with the thing that makes Adam Warlock, Black Widow, and Dr. Strange so good: encounter card control. Plus a source of card replacement with one or two copies of her Web-Bracer. She's got an incredible defensive advantage going but with 1 THW I'm guessing she'll have issues with decks that drop a lot of side schemes, but thankfully Justice is very easy to build to compensate for that and has some nice interrupts/responses for her as well. Protection also looking very strong with her thanks to a lot of the interrupts they already have plus the previewed Jump Flip.

Neither Sandman nor Venom really do much for me and villains that have a gimmick where I have to track tokens on another card are already kind of low in my list because of the fiddliness of them. Mysterio similarly seems kind of annoying for the fact that you have to shuffle cards from one deck into another deck. I can already tell that I'm probably going to end up forgetting to sort them out between games and it's going to be an issue. Sinister Six fight looks cool, as it's nice to see them mix in another fight where you win by thwarting.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

PaybackJack posted:

Innate stun/confuse effects that trigger off 4-5(guessing at the real total here) cards in your deck.

the 2 cost cards are numbered 5 and 7 so probably two copies each, the upgrades are 12 and 13 so one each, giving a total of six if I had to guess.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
The box looks insanely good. Miles looks alright but Gwen looks incredibly powerful and I’m excited as heck that they included a card that removes threat when you defend. It pairs up beautifully with the defence cost reducer card.

The villains look interesting and do unique things as well. This is the best looking box yet in my opinion.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Having taken a closer look at the cards over lunch, Spider Gwen looks incredibly fun to play as. Not sure I can see myself using Ticket to the Multiverse as anything other than a double wild though unless it's to do a silly killing blow turn or something. Though a double wild is of course still a great card.

e: also, and this is more of a minor annoyance, none of the allies (or heroes) who could/should be web slingerswarriors are actually web slingerswarriors

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 2, 2021

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I'm also annoyed that Spider-man and his previously printed friends don't have the web warrior trait. Considering the aerial keyword was included for forward compatibility (and is still mostly useless) this feels like a glaring oversight.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

Having taken a closer look at the cards over lunch, Spider Gwen looks incredibly fun to play as. Not sure I can see myself using Ticket to the Multiverse as anything other than a double wild though unless it's to do a silly killing blow turn or something. Though a double wild is of course still a great card.

e: also, and this is more of a minor annoyance, none of the allies (or heroes) who could/should be web slingerswarriors are actually web slingerswarriors

I think Ticket isn't a finisher so much as a nice mid game breather card. It shuffles everything back into your deck so you can dodge the encounter card that would normally come from running through your deck, it also readies you so that means you could get in a double REC action before flipping up. It being an upgrade means you could drop it early and let it sit in play until you needed it as well but unfortunately Gwen doesn't seem like she's hitting too hard early on and is probably going to want some setup so it being an upgrade is a nice perk that probably won't be that useful.

So yeah, I'm looking at it as '5 resources for a ready and a reshuffle without an encounter card.' Doesn't seem great, but it's a neat concept. Probably would have been too good if they included an extra form flip in there as well.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm also annoyed that Spider-man and his previously printed friends don't have the web warrior trait. Considering the aerial keyword was included for forward compatibility (and is still mostly useless) this feels like a glaring oversight.

I think I might just try to talk my friends into house ruling that in.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I would guess that there's other unique versions of them being printed that will synergize directly with the trait.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I hadn't brought up the possibility of house ruling it yet but one friend said he thinks the web warrior trait might be a thing exclusive to "spiderverse characters" so yeah I suppose we could be getting different versions of peter, spider woman, spider girl, etc eventually

doesn't change the fact that I want to try to find a way to build a spider woman deck that can make UK spidey somehow counterpunch for like 5 damage right now though

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Seems like they could easily come out with a future card that says "attach to a Spider-Man character; they now are Web Warrior" and it would solve the issue with Peter Parker / the Miles ally card.

New expansion looks fun as gently caress. I'm stoked for the encounter decks lately having interesting gimmicks like with the bell tower, shifting sands, or the Sinister 6 "thwart or die trying" mechanic. Miles and Gwen look really interesting---Miles obviously will be able to possibly clown a lot of villains but he def has a small HP pool.

My only extremely nerdy complaint is that I'd have swapped out Scorpion to be a solo encounter and plug Mysterio or Sandman into the 6 set since he's the only one who isn't really a classic Sinister Six member :engleft: Also I would have maybe baked in a Venom victory condition that has him return later to gently caress with the Sinister Six as a callback to when he went wild on them.

The last encounter set is absolutely the Red Goblin so maybe Venom comes into play for that one.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Ran Valkyrie with my friend against Taskmaster. She’s really good when she has someone able to deal with threat so she can do some decent flipping. Late game she will be an absolute beast. She can kill minions super fast which then lets her open up. Early game you pretty much always want to keep the Death Glow open for minions and then near late game plant it on the villain to get the extra damage boost against him and be able to use Shieldmaiden against him.

I think she falls solely into a good B category. She can be pretty effective at points, but her kit is definitely lacking especially when her threat removals is essentially 3 for 5 threat and it’s conditional on needing a minion.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Just house rule that Spider-Man, the original web warrior, has that trait. Just like leadership Adam warlock should have the guardian trait.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Asmodee announced a price hike for stuff and then decided to accidentally spoil a bunch of their upcoming Marvel Champions releases.

Next up is:

Nova
Ironheart
SP//dr
Spider-Ham

and then next big box expansion is called Mutant Genesis. So, X-men probably?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Doing SP//dr and Spider-ham over Spider-Man Noir is not what I expected.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

SPI
DER
HAM

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

CitizenKeen posted:

Doing SP//dr and Spider-ham over Spider-Man Noir is not what I expected.

I bet they figured they could get really creative on the powers. This is most likely in reaction to Spider-Verse and I wouldn’t be surprised if Marvel nudged them in the direction going “people liked these characters” and their power sets made it a no-brainer to do.

With next big box being Mutants though, I really hope they’re not leaving Web Warriors as a one and done and will go back to the well for hero packs and another big box set.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

Asmodee announced a price hike for stuff and then decided to accidentally spoil a bunch of their upcoming Marvel Champions releases.

Next up is:

Nova
Ironheart
SP//dr
Spider-Ham

I'm interested in pretty much none of those characters. Was expecting Daredevil maybe pr Moon Knight given they have ties to Spidey but
a third iron person and going up to 5 spiderpeople is really lame.

Good to know X-Men is after that though!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

DLC Inc posted:

I'm interested in pretty much none of those characters. Was expecting Daredevil maybe pr Moon Knight given they have ties to Spidey but
a third iron person and going up to 5 spiderpeople is really lame.

Good to know X-Men is after that though!

6 Spiderpeople!

You probably forgot Spider-Woman.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
For me, Nova is the surprise. Ironheart seems obvious, since she's probably the most prominent MCU female to not have a deck.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

The Black Stones posted:

Next up is:

Nova
Ironheart
SP//dr
Spider-Ham

with the exception of Nova those other ones have tv shows/movies coming in the next year. its my understanding that asmodee has been working pretty closely with disney on that stuff (though the embracer acquisition might throw that off maybe)

whats the price hike

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Spider-Man noir someone made a good version of online, he uses guns and recycles ammo from the bottom of his deck. I feel like officially they could make him as an aggression card that’s very similar to Jack Flagg.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

John Romero posted:

with the exception of Nova those other ones have tv shows/movies coming in the next year. its my understanding that asmodee has been working pretty closely with disney on that stuff (though the embracer acquisition might throw that off maybe)

whats the price hike

The designers of the game have stated they don’t work super close with Disney and have a pretty long leash on what they want to do. However, there have been times where Disney has said “we would prefer if you do this” for example Ant-Man is Scott Lang because that’s what Disney suggested. In the case of the characters having movies/shows, I think they just plan the best they can around that not because Disney wants it, but because it helps boost sales period. If they really wanted to maximize shows running, we probably would have gotten Kate Bishop as a hero instead of Valkyrie or Vision.

The price hike is packs are gonna cost a little more because of shipping costs

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
Is there any reason rumors why the Nova hero pack is listed at a big box price or people just assuming its a typo?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
People are assuming that’s a typo. The only other credible theory I’ve seen thrown around is that they are including a villain with it as well, but that still doesn’t make sense why a 1 and 1 is the same price as a 5 and 2.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I also assume typo, but what if there were 20 extra cards in it? You could have both Dick Rider and Sam in there, the extra 20 would be their hero card, 15 unique and the obligation etc.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

This whole next wave of releases is just very confusing. I get that maybe the Spider-people would sell because of the success of Into the Spider-Verse but choosing Spider-Ham over Noir is really strange. Anime Spider-girl makes sense from a sales perspective much more. Ironheart getting her own pack makes sense as she's got the tv show coming although it's still a ways off. Nova is a weird choice, I guess someone out there likes him since he doesn't really fit anywhere now, although he should have been in the guardians, I'm guessing we're going to see the Sam version and not Richard which would put him in the Champions. Also no Villain pack announced in between is kind of annoying.

I know we're probably going to see a new wave of supply chain issues thanks to Omicron but I really wish they'd double up on some months with a hero and a villain. I'm sure it's harder to make a villain than a hero but having to wait 6-7 months between deluxe releases is kind of a pain.

That said, I hope the X-Men deluxe is like 4 heroes vs 2 villains because there's a metric fuckton of X-people and they're still missing a lot of mainstay non-mutant stuff like FF, Inhumans, and Marvel Knights. I'm honestly shocked they're drawing from the X-Men well this early on. Hopefully the plan is to just do one arc of mutant stuff then get more non-mutant stuff out.

My guess for the box set is Wolverine and X-23. If they can sell two Spider-people in the same box why not two Wolverines?

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 26, 2021

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

PaybackJack posted:

I'm honestly shocked they're drawing from the X-Men well this early on. Hopefully the plan is to just do one arc of mutant stuff then get more non-mutant stuff out.

I’m not. Other places have not shut up about wanting the X-men and I figure they decided it was better to get that out of the way so they wouldn’t be hassled about it anymore

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Speaking of, who is in everyone's top 10 most wanted heroes and villains?

Heroes:
1) Mr. Fantastic
2) Moon Knight
3) Ghost Rider
4) Karnak
5) Dr. Doom
6) Cable
7) Gambit
8) Rogue
9) America Chavez
10) Nico Minoru

Villains:

1) Dr. Doom
2) Kingpin
3) Mr. Sinister
4) Apocalpyse
5) Mr Negative
6) Galactus
7) Namor
8) Puppet Master
9) Kraven
10) The Wizard

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Mutants are too big for this game, they should have done them as a side project using the same rules while still releasing non-mutants for the main line.

Heroes
1) I'll cheat and say all four Fantastic Four with four player interactions while my group still has four players interested in the game. Four.
2) Moon Knight does sound awesome. Possible with the tv show coming too.
3) I'll agree on Ghost Rider too, lots of opportunity there.
4) Silk, finish out the modern main line spiderpeeps
5) Silver Surfer
6) Nick Fury
7) Daredevil
8) Elektra
9) Blue Marvel
10) Quasar, any of em, I just like that cosmic stuff

Villains
1) Doom
2) Apocalypse. I've been avoiding listing mutants because there are too many mutant heroes I want but definitely him once they break in. I also don't care about too many more villains.
3) Magneto
4) Galactus
5) Surtur
6) Annihlus & Annihlation War (I forget if thats what it was called) would make a good boxed set with the other cosmic stuff kicked off by Abnett & Lanning's 2005 revamp of the GOTG.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

If they’re planning on an X-Men expansion in the future I’d be surprised if we didn’t get Deadpool at some point, he’s very popular and has had a few gigantic movies.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Is there a Nick Fury/Gandalf type card in the Arkham Horror LCG?

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Not a direct Gandalf analogue - the closest I can think of might be The Red-Gloved Man, since he's a neutral ally who only sticks around for one turn.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
Anyone check out Earthborne rangers? It's not an LCG buts it's made by Andrew Navarro, former FFG good guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Haven't heard of it, look forward to buying it when preorders open.