Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I mean yes I understand the argument that boycotting small businesses that say "Hitler did nothing wrong" while continuing to participate in global capitalism is essentially punishing them for not having the resources to be more circumspect about their evil, but I don't think I'm going to lose any sleep over small businesses being arbitrarily punished for openly saying "Hitler did nothing wrong", thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

What exactly was Ion's involvement with Crusader Kings? I don't see any of the usual suspects credited, Fria Lagan handled all the publicity and the campaign, all there is is an Ion logo on the box.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

PerniciousKnid posted:

Compared to all the human rights violations and coups perpetrated by the other corporations I patronize daily without thinking about it, boycotting Ion seems arbitrary and capricious to me. I guarantee the CEO of Asmodee has done worse, but cloaked in acceptable liberalism.

Beyond everything else that's wrong with what you said, do we really want to get mired into some discussion of what's "worse" than transphobia, anti-semitism, etc? If that isn't already bad enough for you to not give him money, then I suppose that's really all there is to it, and I welcome you to shower that fascist rocket man with all of your bitcoins.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Our group finally played Gloomhaven again after over two years, and that game is still very good. We very much acknowledge we'll never get close to finishing it, so I'm going to finally try it solo this holiday while we're all away. I'm curious if playing solo makes me feel like I'll be able to make enough of a dent in it to want Frosthaven. I'll also finally use the helper app; before we were doing everything manually because having 3-4 of us at a table meant the bookkeeping was distributed enough to be acceptable.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
Eklund's defense of British colonialism is pretty problematic. Everything else is totally benign or standard autistic libertarian old white guy stuff. He's pretty explicitly against hatred of any kind.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Huskalator posted:

Eklund's defense of British colonialism is pretty problematic. Everything else is totally benign or standard autistic libertarian old white guy stuff. He's pretty explicitly against hatred of any kind.

That's because he redefines hate crimes as being justified expressions of economic anxiety, hth :ssh:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Just buy the loving game if you want to play it jfc. These self-inflicted mental gymnastics are tedious

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah, Pax Pamir 2e is cool and good and has no Eklund.

I did get two Eklund Pax games before elarning about him, so that sucks. Especially since the games are actually fun to play, imho. Never giving him another cent though, there's too much good stuff out there to keep supporting someone I don't like. Same reason I'm getting Glorantha: God Wars unless I find a used copy.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Control Volume posted:

Just buy the loving game if you want to play it jfc. These self-inflicted mental gymnastics are tedious

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

Beyond everything else that's wrong with what you said, do we really want to get mired into some discussion of what's "worse" than transphobia, anti-semitism, etc? If that isn't already bad enough for you to not give him money, then I suppose that's really all there is to it, and I welcome you to shower that fascist rocket man with all of your bitcoins.

The point is that Phil's problem is his lack of a publicist. His views are extremely normal. I'd be surprised if more than 1% of the CEOs in the country are not transphobic, e.g., and many of them have the power to inflict far more damage.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I won’t wade into a which is worse discussion but it’s worth noting that you not buying a game from a small publisher like Ion actually has a tangible effect on their bottom line and therefore ability to spread more of Eklund’s insane ramblings. Companies like Amazon or Nestle are entirely unaffected by your personal choices and get money from you anyways via tax subsidies. Fight the fights you can imo.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Magnetic North posted:

I welcome you to shower that fascist rocket man with all of your bitcoins.

Eklund: the Musk of board games?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

gschmidl posted:

Eklund: the Musk of board games?

Nah eklund did design some things.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

PerniciousKnid posted:

His views are extremely normal.
So tell us how you really feel about the banker holocaust.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bottom Liner posted:

I won’t wade into a which is worse discussion but it’s worth noting that you not buying a game from a small publisher like Ion actually has a tangible effect on their bottom line and therefore ability to spread more of Eklund’s insane ramblings. Companies like Amazon or Nestle are entirely unaffected by your personal choices and get money from you anyways via tax subsidies. Fight the fights you can imo.

Absolutely right BL as you always are :)

So we should just keep feeding the bullshit that white supremacy is 'normal'? it's NOT normal. It's hideous, evil, and results in death. gently caress that.

Hit that company where it hurts, I hope they either dump Eklund or go out of business. Thing is, there's plenty of small businesses in the board game world who are either great companies period or at least know to keep their loving mouths shut. When they keep their mouths shut, they reduce the support for hatred and that's IMPORTANT. VERY IMPORTANT. These damned games are for ENTERTAINMENT where believe it or not you can get elsewhere. I know, you HAVE to support the racist because of whatever bullshit you're telling yourself but you're WRONG.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

PerniciousKnid posted:

The point is that Phil's problem is his lack of a publicist. His views are extremely normal. I'd be surprised if more than 1% of the CEOs in the country are not transphobic, e.g., and many of them have the power to inflict far more damage.

There's a difference between "I assume this CEO is bad" and "I know Eklund is a shitbag", though. Besides, no one made him write and publish those things. He chose to do so and wanted people to know that he thought that "no, really, Hitler had some good points". So if he wants that known, he must also want me to react to those thoughts. And I am. gently caress that guy, I'm not putting cash in his pocket. Maybe you're right, maybe every CEO is equally evil. I'd like you to prove that, but whatever, let's assume you're right for the sake of argument. Even if we make that assumption, then at least most of them aren't stupid enough to show their evil on loving Facebook. If you're going to force me to see you being evil, you deserve to be treated as, you know, evil. Doesn't seem that complicated, really. :shrug:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the best ceo is the costco guy who yelled at people saying they should raise the price of the hotdog

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

the only good ceo is the costco guy who yelled at people saying they should raise the price of the hotdog

Hes poo poo too. exhibit a: hes a CEO of a large company

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Would someone indulge me and explain what BGG is actually attempting to accomplish by getting into blockchain? I understand in a vague sense that the whole thing is a giant fraud, but I don't understand what's in it for them (or other companies, for that matter). Like, even their stated benefit seems comically vague and undefined? It's basically just this to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4APcgsRdW6w

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Jewmanji posted:

Would someone indulge me and explain what BGG is actually attempting to accomplish by getting into blockchain? I understand in a vague sense that the whole thing is a giant fraud, but I don't understand what's in it for them (or other companies, for that matter). Like, even their stated benefit seems comically vague and undefined? It's basically just this to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4APcgsRdW6w

its just a buzzword that gets rubes excited so everything is getting into the blockchain even though in action that is often completely meaningless

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jewmanji posted:

They're scared they are going to lose out on free scam money

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Jewmanji posted:

Where did you see that BGG is getting into blockchain?

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Llyranor posted:

So tell us how you really feel about the banker holocaust.

Is there something actually unusual or weird along those lines he has written somewhere? Because the stuff actually linked is basically a summary of wiki articles that themselves summarise a lot of legitimate academic research and controversy, on which no side is either obviously right or, as far as I know, aligned with white supremacy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_antisemitism

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Maybe it's weird to reference TFR from the board game thread, but TFR has a thread titled "Racism, authoritarianism, etc in the firearms industry" https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894692 where people name and shame lovely companies that shouldn't be getting our dollars.

I believe it started as a section in the OP, but eventually became its own thread because obviously that industry is chock full of shitheads. Maybe we can make a section in the OP about this, and update it as things come to light? That way it's a simple thing to point to when people ask why a given publisher/designer is problematic.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jedit posted:

What exactly was Ion's involvement with Crusader Kings? I don't see any of the usual suspects credited, Fria Lagan handled all the publicity and the campaign, all there is is an Ion logo on the box.

No more than their involvement with Stationfall. which reading this thread means supporting the holocaust.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mayveena posted:

Where did you see that BGG is getting into blockchain?

I suspect they meant Kickstarter

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

silvergoose posted:

jfc I almost died of rage

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

radmonger posted:

Is there something actually unusual or weird along those lines he has written somewhere? Because the stuff actually linked is basically a summary of wiki articles that themselves summarise a lot of legitimate academic research and controversy, on which no side is either obviously right or, as far as I know, aligned with white supremacy.

"the widespread hostility against middlemen minorities is not due to religion, race, or creed"

Yeah, they just really hated bankers. Which is why they rounded up all the jewish bankers, all the LGBTQ bankers, all the bankers who had various physical or intellectual deficiencies, etc.

Eklund whitewashes millenia of antisemitism which led to the 'banker' stereotypes and downplays nazi hate ideology.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Jewmanji posted:

Would someone indulge me and explain what BGG Kickstarter is actually attempting to accomplish by getting into blockchain? I understand in a vague sense that the whole thing is a giant fraud, but I don't understand what's in it for them (or other companies, for that matter). Like, even their stated benefit seems comically vague and undefined?

Who knows. The most likely scenarios are that somebody very high up in KS leadership is a Crypto moron, OR somebody high up in KS leadership is dumb enough to let a "crypto consultant" rip them off. And yes, EVERY company that tries to explain how the blockchain will benefit them talk about it in comically vague and undefinded terms, because there is no benefit.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Jewmanji posted:

Would someone indulge me and explain what [kickstarter] is actually attempting to accomplish by getting into blockchain?

You ever wonder what an information bubble looks like from the outside? Well there ya go

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

radmonger posted:

Yes. It's unusual, weird, and disgusting.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Academia: Jews have historically been subjected to a wide range of persecution up to and including genocide on the pretext of perceived economic wrongs
Phil Eklund: Jews have historically been subjected to a wide range of persecution up to and including genocide, but only because of actual economic wrongs unrelated to their Jewish identity
Goons: Yes, these are the same thing

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

gschmidl posted:

jfc I almost died of rage

I was like THE gently caress? I seriously doubt Scott Alden the owner would touch blockchain or anything related. I wonder how many times Asmodee has tried to buy his site. He doesn’t seem overly concerned about money to buy some kind of yacht or some poo poo like that so hopefully he’ll turn down buy offers. Noting that Asmodee managed to make BGA better, I still want the biggest board game site to be in private hands.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

silvergoose posted:

Yes, sorry! That’s for correcting.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Llyranor posted:

Eklund whitewashes millenia of antisemitism which led to the 'banker' stereotypes and downplays nazi hate ideology.

As far as I know, it’s an entirely intellectually respectable theory that that kind of hatred has economic roots deeply embedded in the nature of financial capitalism.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_on_Fire_(book)

I suppose the people who take the other side of that argument could be considered as whitewashing the structural oppressions underlying capitalism. But that hardly seems a little awful way of looking at things.

In any case, a. board game chat thread is hardly the place to settle that debate, any more than a board game rule.book is a good place to post a hot take on it.

Eklund clearly considers himself a market dominant minority, undergoing persecution for his superior capability by people spreading lies and scary misinformation.

Personally, I would like it to be the case that that view of his was false.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
ok dork

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Lucky for you it's false, since he actually is an embarrassing, bigoted shitbag.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Traditional Games > Board Game Thread 4e: ok dork

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Can we as a thread quit trying to parse out which of Eklunds horrible views is *kinda, sorta* valid? Please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Frozen Peach posted:

I wrote about my favorite/best board games i played this year.

https://geek.gay/2021/12/21/the-best-board-games-of-2021-that-i-played/

Thanks for sharing this. Found some games I'm doing late pledges on as I think they'll fit my gaming group.
We've added a good 15 games, plus some expansions, the past few months. Hoping once this month ends the 60+ hour work weeks will end and we can get them to the table.

Townsfolk Tussle...is there any sort of ETA on when people can buy copies for that game? Looks like it was released in September this year but I'm not seeing any for sale anywhere
I briefly looked at Primal but gently caress the price they are charging

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 22, 2021