Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

My daughter decorated gingerbread men with purple smears and made a paper spider ornament and a Ziploc bag ornament to hang on our Christmas tree

Maybe loosen up for a couple years

Yeah how's THAT going to look on instagram, you idiot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Rescue Toaster posted:

Yeah how's THAT going to look on instagram, you idiot?

They're just leaving wholesomeness clout on the table, like fools!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Brawnfire posted:

Why do people think this

Specifically in this case? OP were told by the cops to gently caress off rather than expect them to do their job.

In the broader sense? I daren't guess.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Batterypowered7 posted:

Reminds me of "everything is a learning opportunity" mom from previous thread incarnations.

She was one of the scariest thread characters of all time.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for uninviting my bf to Christmas?

quote:

I (39f) have been dating my bf (51m) for about 2 years now. We live separately but see each other almost every day.

I have kids (girls ages 18 and 13), my bf does not. He had a marriage and a long term relationship before me, both with women who had kids, and he helped raise them.

Okay, so with that said, he has been lightly pushing for the relationship to progress so I bought him a stocking and an ornament to hang at my house. We’ve also discussed cohabitation.

Last night we were together and he said something about wanting to watch the football game on Christmas. Fine, not a problem. Then he added something in about how children are to be seen, not heard during this time. Um…not funny.

I asked when my kids have ever been disruptive and he admitted that they never have, he was “just saying.” We left it awkward like that for the rest of the day. Evening came, we had a few drinks, and the football game came up again. This time he added that the kids can play in my 13 year old’s room and there will be no SpongeBob on the tv this year, just the game.

So now I’m done at this point and I ask him if he realizes whose home he’s going to be a guest in. He responded by saying that he could always go to his place and watch football. I told him that I thought that sounded like a good idea and he added in that he’d be keeping the groceries he bought for us to make Christmas dinner with too.

My girls and I could eat ravioli from a can and still have a lovely holiday. I let him know this and expressed regret in trying to progress things. At this point I almost don’t want him around my kids at all. I suggested he stay home this year for Christmas and offered to exchange the gifts we bought each other some other day.

I’m standing firm, he isn’t happy. We haven’t had time to sit down and discuss exactly why he’s upset but I’m getting the feeling that he thinks I’m TA in this situation. I don’t think I should budge, if anything I’m extra pissed for laying awake all night having anxiety over this nonsense. 2 years in and he has to dump a bucket of red flags on my Christmas spirit? Not okay!!

AITA?

ETA: This is NOT normal behavior for this man, he has NEVER been like this before. Usually he is mellow and kind. He cooks, he cleans, he treats me like an equal. This Archie Bunker crap is new.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

They're just leaving wholesomeness clout on the table, like fools!

Yeah I really don't get it. I feel like if she was terminally online or had a MIL from hell judging everything the poster would have said so. If it's general 'Stuff must be perfect or it's not worth doing.' then the guy needs to put a stop to that poo poo now before it seriously fucks up the kids.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Total Meatlove posted:

She was one of the scariest thread characters of all time.

She really was. Wasn't there an update or an edit where the dad / original poster mentioned that one of his kids had a free drawing time in kindergarten or first grade, and he didn't know what to do because Mommy wasn't there to tell him what he was learning?

Everything can be a learning experience, everything is a learning experience for kids, but you don't need to make it enforced. And you certainly never force kids into being those rigid little boxes of always learning, and being asked what did you learn from that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cowslips Warren posted:

She really was. Wasn't there an update or an edit where the dad / original poster mentioned that one of his kids had a free drawing time in kindergarten or first grade, and he didn't know what to do because Mommy wasn't there to tell him what he was learning?

Yes. IIRC that actually made mom wake up and resolve to change

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I tried looking for "everything is a learning experience" psycho mom but searching Reddit on your phone is a pain in the rear end when you refuse to install the app. I did stumble across this compilation from ask a manager though:

A couple's very bizarre cleaning lady tries to force them to take a $500 loan they didn't ask for and don't want. Things then escalate quickly.

quote:

Due to my spouse’s disability and my working full-time, we hire a cleaner for two hours every week. She’s pleasant but lacks punctuality and gossips non-stop.

During one of these gossip sessions, my spouse told her that a machine he uses for a hobby recently died and he needed to buy a new one, at a cost of around $500. This is an amount that he could save in a couple of months or we could easily afford in a few weeks if we talked about setting some money aside from both of our incomes. It’s not an issue.

Our cleaner said, “If you need help, just ask.” My spouse responded, “If I need help, I will.” The next week the cleaner arrived and pressed $500 into his hand, saying, “Just pay me back at $50 a month.”

I was absolutely stunned. We’re not poor. We’re not rich, but we’re definitely not poor. We can afford a cleaner. We could have easily afforded this machine if we made it a priority. I understood my spouse was currently saving for it.

My spouse tried to give the money back, saying it was incredibly generous but we didn’t need it. The cleaner said, “I went to the bank just for you. If you don’t want it, throw it in the bin.”

I’m absolutely stumped. This cleaner is my employee, we don’t need the money, we never asked for it, and to even use it I would have to take time off from my full-time job to take my disabled spouse to the bank to deposit it, as the machine he wants can only be purchased online. We tried giving it back and I don’t want to owe money to someone I employ. What on earth do I do now?

Relevant comments from OOP and her spouse:

When we spoke about it, my spouse agreed that the cleaner sees us as friends instead of employers, and that she genuinely meant well and has somehow wildly misunderstood the situation. But the whole thing made me very uncomfortable and I too, wondered if it was part of a money laundering scheme since she was being so insistent.

Comment from the spouse: Yeah this was literally what happened. She saw me bagging up the components for the trash and asked.

Once I’d said it was dead and inadvertantly, and with hindsight mistakenly, vented it was expensive and might take a few weeks to replace, she said “if you need it I can help”. I literally said that that was a very kind offer and if I absolutely needed it I would think about it ( look I’m from the north of the UK originally to me that’s a polite thanks but no thanks).

When she came up me the following week with the cash and forced it into my hand I was beyond stunned. I said this is very generous and that I genuinely, sincerely appreciate the gesture (which is 100% true) but I just can’t accept. On my third attempt at returning the money she did take it back, but left pretty quick without finishing her tasks.

I feel, personally, that there’s fault with both of us. I shouldn’t have said anything about the machine, and she shouldn’t have taken my refusal as personal which is what I think she did.

But it was definitely weird AF and seriously impacted my mental health for days afterward.

More comments from OOP:

There was a bunch of other things I could have added in the original letter and yes, she is a generation older than us, and I’m afraid some boundaries might have been blurred when we allowed her to get some deliveries made to our house. My spouse also helped her create a business card when she went independent, but she paid for that to keep it a business relationship. I am going to reinforce certain boundaries and try to wrestle this thing back into a business relationship, because I am very uncomfortable employing someone who thinks I am their friend.

First update: in the comments of the first post

An update: before she left early without completing her duties, my spouse insisted on giving the cash back. He said, “While this is incredibly generous, we absolutely cannot accept this, so please take it back.”

She reacted rather flippant and said, “Fine, I’ll give it to [another person we know mutually that she also cleans for].”

Then he had a panic attack.

We are waiting to see if things are still weird next time on whether or not we will dismiss her. If she continues to perform poorly, we will have to dismiss her regardless of this very odd incident since we have already spoken to her about lifting her performance. If she continues to agitate my spouse I will fire her.

Some things I wanted to mention in the original letter: She is older than us. She’s not an immigrant. She is paid very well. She probably earns more than I, the breadwinner of the house, does due to penalties, overtime, and night shift allowances for her other clients that she can pick and choose at her leisure. However I do not pay her more than I earn per hour for the 2 hours she works for us. We are Australian and the minimum wage here is very good. Neither my spouse nor I are on the minimum wage and neither is she.

Thank you for your comments.

Final update

I wrote in about the employee (my independent contractor cleaner) trying to force me to accept a $500 cash loan I didn’t ask for or indicate I wanted in any way. I already provided an update in the comments of that post: we didn’t keep the money, we were able to insist she take it back that day.

Here’s my further update:

We had to fire her.

Not only was she perpetually late and left early, spent a quarter of her paid time standing around talking (and saying we were being weird/off when we wouldn’t fully engage with her during these rants, when I was supposed to be working/studying), and her quality had gone downhill despite me reminding her certain jobs that needed doing, she also decided to tell our close mutual friends “Jack and Jill” that we said something terrible about them. When Jill reached out to ask “what the hell?” we told her we didn’t say anything about them and we didn’t know what she was talking about, and she said our cleaner, who was also their cleaner, said we “had a problem” with them (which we absolutely did not).

Turns out our friends had newly rented a house from our cleaner, which if I had known in advance, I would have strongly recommended against (I knew they were moving, I just wasn’t sure where). The cleaner was treating them like personal slaves, lying to them, and trying to manipulate them, to the point where Jill was having a breakdown from anxiety. She was using Jill’s high opinion of us to manipulate her.

I was so distraught that my friends thought we’d said terrible things about them that we went to the house that night to talk it over, only finding out once we’d arrived that it was being rented from my cleaner. After we figured out what was going on (with her lying both to them and us), my spouse and I agreed we’d have to fire her and find someone new.

Side note: we told our friends about her trying to force a loan on us, and they said that when she told them the story (because of course she did!), she’d doubled the offer to $1000 which my spouse had exclusively asked her for, he had only refused it because I was home, and then he’d yelled at her about it. No mention of throwing it in the bin, of course!

So that week when the cleaner came to my house, my spouse was prepared to fire her. However, she was in a foul mood and spoiling for a fight, saying we’d disrespected her by going to her house and talking about her behind her back. She said, “This will be my last week, then,” not expecting my husband to agree, which he did. She was expecting him to fall over apologizing and placate her, tell her she was wonderful, our friends were wrong, and that we’d do anything to keep her. She was in a textbook narcissistic rage, and when he wouldn’t play her game, she went running back to Jack and Jill and told them we fired her, that I stood there and swore at her and said her work wasn’t any good (I wasn’t even home?!). My friends called her out on her lies, saying that behavior doesn’t sound like me, and then in retaliation she literally kicked them out of the house they were renting, that they’d only just moved into.

Our friends told my husband what she’d said and done, and he messaged the cleaner saying, “Look, YOU said it was your last week, but just to make it clear, I am terminating our agreement. Do not come back. Have a nice life.”

And then he had to block her because she kept messaging, saying she never said anything about us and sending nonsensical screenshots. Honestly I’m not sure why she valued our opinions so highly, but I suspect it was all a weird game she was upset at losing.

Then, after all that, she backflipped on the whole kicking our friends out of the house, and said they could stay if they did exactly as she said when she said it (including weird cleaning requests, demanding Jill go on walks with her, and telling one of them the other owed her money). Then she went to the house and found out they were packing to move again, and went through their rubbish and opened their mail and started a fight. Then she told our friends that she made up with my spouse and that she had gone to our house and told him “everything” (not nice things) about my friends and said he agreed with everything she said. My friends said to her, that didn’t happen, he’s blocked you, and she had to go away, humiliated that she’s no longer able to manipulate them.

They moved out to a new house. I hired a new cleaner and he showed up on time, did an excellent job, and only spoke when he needed to.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Soylent Pudding posted:

I tried looking for "everything is a learning experience" psycho mom but searching Reddit on your phone is a pain in the rear end when you refuse to install the app. I did stumble across this compilation from ask a manager though:

A couple's very bizarre cleaning lady tries to force them to take a $500 loan they didn't ask for and don't want. Things then escalate quickly.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
That was a hell of a ride.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

What was the $500 hobby machine? A 3d printer?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I don't think this update got posted here either:

My (25f) stepsister ss (23f) is getting married to my ex(26m)

quote:

We were as close as any two sisters growing up. My mum and her dad met when we were 8&6 and we got along really well from the get-go.

My exbf and I broke up 2 years ago, he cheated on me and I found out about it a week after he proposed to me. 5-6 months later ss told me that she and exbf have started dating. I couldn’t believe my ears. I was very angry at her but the rest of the family (mum, stepdad, two half sisters) didn’t think it was a betrayal at all and my mom once yelled at me to grow up and move on. I gradually distanced myself from my stepsister, without making a fuss. I just poured myself into my studies instead and hid behind the “I’m swamped” excuse. I started dating my current boyfriend cb (25m) about 10 months ago. The only problem is that ss used to have a huge crush on him, and she still, to this day, text and dm him. They never dated. I haven’t told anyone in my family that I’m seeing someone.

ss and exbf got engaged and they have sent the wedding invitations last month(wedding in june). I didn’t rsvp because I don’t want to attend. last week my mum asked me to visit. When I got there mum was waiting with ss, her bff (and MOH), my half sisters and exbf’s sister. It was an “intervention”. my mum started by saying that I needed to stop alienating myself from everybody and get over the hurt. Ss is getting married and she wanted me as a bridesmaid. I told them NO! Ss started crying saying I’m ruining her wedding. She asked if it has to do with me not having a +1 because she could pair me with one of exbfs single best men and I wouldn’t feel lonely then.

I got really angry and told her I didn’t want to go to HER wedding because I don’t like her. She started crying again calling me bitter and a hag for purposefully wanting to hurt her on her big day. I left.

My mum called me later saying if I didn’t show up at least as a guest, I’m cut off the whole family. You see they need me there so people see there’s no hard feelings between us and that I have blessed their marriage because she has been getting a whole lot of sh*t from the family for what she did to me.

I’m so angry now. What’s between ss and I is broken beyond repair. Why is it so hard for them to understand. Plus I DO have a plus one should I decide to turn up. And ss would regret the day she invited me then. I have a half mind to do it and ruin her day.

I love my mum and my sisters but I’m tired of them choosing ee’s side. And I know mum is serious that she would cut me off if I didn’t attend. She loves my stepdad very much and upsetting ss means upsetting him.

Any advice on how to tackle this? Because however I turned it I am the loser.

Update: my stepsister is getting married to my ex

quote:

Hi again!

I couldn’t find my op because I used a throwaway account. But I could find the deleted post and I copied it to this account if you want to read it before the update here it is

original post

Ss=step sister Cbf=current boyfriend Exbf=ex boyfriend

Before I update I want to thank you very very very much. When I wrote here I was so hurt and consumed with anger that I was planning a very cheap revenge on my ss. But since then and with the amazing advice I got from you I realized that pettiness isn’t the answer. I thought back and came to the conclusion that the only hurt I was feeling was because of my mum. Since my exbf cheated I have felt that my mum let me down by not supporting me. I don’t care about ss or exbf. I’m very happy with my life now and I love cb. I decided to try one last time to fix things with mum and explain to her how hurt I have been by her treatment. I also decided to tell her the truth.

On Friday I visited mum, she was alone at the house. I started by telling her that I was hurt about the “intervention” because I didn’t think I needed one. That I was hurt that she always took ss’s side, to please my stepdad, and that I have many reasons for not attending ss wedding.

While I don’t feel hurt anymore about her (ss) betrayal, our relationship has changed and I don’t see her as my sister anymore. I don’t feel obligated either to try and repair her reputation by going to her wedding. She made a very controversial life choice and even if I’m not hurt by it anymore she must’ve known people will be giving her a hard time and that I honestly don’t understand why she cared.

And lastly, I told her about cbf. I told her about ss probably still has feelings for him and it wouldn’t be nice for us to go to her wedding and ruin her day. I told her I wasn’t ready to make our relationship official yet and that if ss knew he would be my plus one she would change her mind about inviting me.

I saw that my mum was getting more and more upset the more I talked. When it came to the subject of cbf she was shaking with suppressed rage. After I finished she told me she was right in thinking that I’m a vindictive hag that she’s ashamed of me and that my bitterness is the reason I will end up alone. She told me I was pathetic for hooking up with ss’s old love and she forbade me from telling anyone about him. “And you should break up with him if you know what’s good for you” she threatened to tell cbf that I’m using him to get back at ss and then she kicked me out of her house.

Yesterday, when I was in the kitchen I heard the doorbell. Cbs opened and it was ss with exbf. When she saw cbs she asked what are YOU doing here. I came out of the kitchen and she was terrified and her eyes full with tears. Her plan was to sit and talk, me her and exbf to sort things out but when she understood what’s going on she started crying. She called me names, cursed me and threw the shoehorn I have in the entrance at me. She kept yelling HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME. Cbf asked them to leave and blocked her from getting at me. She left in tears, exbf confused after her.

Mum sent me a long email today telling me that she was disgusted by my actions (she thought I planned for ss to find out about cbf and me). She forbade me from ever contacting her or my sisters and told me that if I don’t end things with cbf immediately she will make breaking us up her priority. I showed cbf the email. He is very distraught. He asked me if I would consider moving to another city with him when I finish school and we move in together.

We’ll see what happens but I like his suggestion. It was the first time he talked about moving in together. I would’ve been over the moon if I wasn’t so heartbroken.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

mlnhd posted:

What was the $500 hobby machine? A 3d printer?

Maybe a lathe or table saw. An espresso machine definitely counts as a “hobby machine” even though people wouldn’t talk about it that way

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Don't know about Australian law, but if this were in the US there's enough crimes there to get a long stay in prison.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Hughlander posted:

AITA for calling my oldest daughter by her real name?
I saw a very similar thing happen a couple weeks ago. Someone comes out as trans and wants to go by her sister's name.

sugar mouse posted:

The idea of this absolutely blows my mind. Years ago, my house got broken into, nothing taken but still the police were lovely, they came for a follow up and gave me some free security things, dusted for prints, etc etc. I'm guessing this civil matter thing is American?!?
Imagine if you didn't have an actual police department, and the government just gave a huge amount of money to the biggest organized crime syndicate in your country to handle policing. They do some policing, but of course they're mainly interested in opportunities to steal things and use the power of law to stop the victims getting their property back. That's American policing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Clark Nova posted:

Maybe a lathe or table saw. An espresso machine definitely counts as a “hobby machine” even though people wouldn’t talk about it that way

Hundreds of dollars to have a shittier espresso than many gas stations, and a massive steaming machine on my counter that longs for nothing more than to break, and break expensively?

A hobby?! No, that's just practical kitchenware.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soylent Pudding posted:

Put the full text transcripts up on twitter, link to it from the original reddit thread.

Let the internet hate machine do the rest for you.

"I'm as surprised as anybody that all these internet trolls were able to find out my mother's identity from my twitter profile. Who could have ever forseen this tragic series of events."

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Clark Nova posted:

Knowing the demographic of Ask a Manager, it's probably a sewing machine.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Soylent Pudding posted:

I think we may have reached an all-time high for hypocrisy ITT.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

I think we may have reached an all-time high for hypocrisy ITT.

The whole time I was reading it felt like when you're driving and your car seems invisible, like everyone is loving swerving into your lane and riding your rear end but the moment you try to change lanes for your exit everyone is purposefully shutting you out and throwing up their hands at you like you're a fuckup

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Clark Nova posted:

My first guess was Cri-Cut, but then I realized that those are mostly used for femme-y hobbies. Quilting. Scrapbooking. "Live Love Laugh" cutouts on the walls. Guys do all the above, but the ads and magazines and so on are often slanted toward women.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for telling my wife she’s the one ruining all the Christmas fun for the kids?

i would like to know more about how this woman was treated by her parents, both in general and during the holidays

well, okay, no i wouldn't, but i think it was probably pretty bad if it resulted in "sorry my five year old child you hosed up your gingerbread house i told you to make, trash it and start over like we're acting a holiday children's version of Cool Hand Luke"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
When men do that stuff it's called mancaving.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for uninviting my bf to Christmas?

Too much AM Talk Radio pushed him over the edge

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Johnny Truant posted:

I mean if we get Karl Urban as Judge Dredd, fuckit at least our poo poo country will have some free* entertainment

*Judge's paychecks garnered from your paychecks both before and after taxes also he's going to shoot your dog

And at least Judges police their own and send corrupt judges to space Siberia...

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I'm going to start calling my PS5 my Hobby Machine

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Antivehicular posted:

I find myself wondering about the timeline there. The twins were 3 when Brooke died, and she mentions that Brooke was sick, so I'm guessing the twins were only babies or toddlers when she suddenly had a very ill child on her hands (possibly already without the dad in the picture?). My guess is that, between taking care of Brooke and then losing her, she never had a chance to really bond with the other kids before she was incapable of caring for them. I can see how, under those circumstances and her obvious burden of mental illness, she could see Brooke as her only "real" kid and the twins as sort of unpleasant coincidences. It's incredibly sad and strange, and it's a tragedy that she didn't get whatever counseling she needed to salvage something from the year she had full custody when they were preteens.

There was a comment that she was pregnant with the twins when Brooke got sick, and if she'd known ahead of time she'd aborted them.

Kuiperdolin posted:

Today's entry in "reading the question answers the question":

Is porn ever okay on a work computer?

But what if someone was about to die, at work, and the instructions to save him were only posted on biganimetits dot com would you let him die, even if there was no other option

https://nypost.com/2021/11/03/taiwanese-math-teacher-uses-pornhub-to-reach-more-students/

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for telling my wife she’s the one ruining all the Christmas fun for the kids?

"Husband, They're having fun WRONG!"

Actual content:

AITA for taking my (now Ex) girlfriends car and phone and kicking her out?

quote:

I know how bad the title sounds but hear me out. I (28M) proposed to my girlfriend Sarah (26F) last week. Now, we’ve been dating for 5 years and live together in my house. With her being a teacher and teachers being paid so little I’ve always supported her by paying for an extra car for her, an extra phone line for her and letting her use her paycheck to have fun with while I pay for all of the bills.

Anyways, we finish eating and I get down on one knee and ask her the most important question of my life and she just looks at me. And then she looks behind me to my best friend Mike (obviously a fake name) and says, “Aren’t you going to say anything?”

He asks her what’s he supposed to say. She gets really angry and starts yelling that they’ve been in love since the beginning and that he was a jerk for letting it get to this point and I’m freaking out yelling because I think my best friend has been sleeping with the woman I thought I was gonna spend the rest of my life with. He’s so confused, he’s freaking out and looking at me shaking his head. He’s absolutely adamant that they’ve never even been alone together for more than a couple of minutes.

Her best friend Nicole (again- obviously a fake name) pulls Sarah aside and asks her what’s going on. Sarah just keeps going on and on about how she was sure Mike would love her one day and how it was really mean (!) of me to propose.

At that point I’ve had enough I just tell everyone to get out, I make Nicole take Sarah with her and Mike just keeps apologizing because he didn’t know. That night I make the decision to cut her off and get her out of my house. I spend the night packing up all of her poo poo. When it’s all boxed up I bring it into the garage and spend the rest of the night changing passwords The next day I call Nicole and ask her to bring Sarah back so we can talk.
When they pull up, Nicole in her car and Sarah in the car I pay for, I use my phone app to disable her cell phone so she can’t use it and I take the keys from her. I explain that everything she owns is in the boxes in the garage and that I was taking my phone and car back and that she needed to get her things off of my property.

She starts freaking out that I can’t do this to her because she doesn’t have anywhere else to go or any other way to get around. I just walk back in the house with a parting shot of “You should have thought about that before you tried to use me to get to my best friend. “

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

immediately disabling someone's cell phone line (and presumably making them lose their personal phone number) is some revenge fantasy poo poo that you shouldn't actually do no matter what

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
AITA for telling this strange shirtless man to put a shirt on?

quote:

I was driving on my motorcycle with my gf and we came across a weird sight. We were driving through this rural looking area to get to this casino when we saw this. There was some huge muscular dude with hair like a woman without his shirt on chopping wood and doing other manual labor. He saw us approach and decided to be a weirdo. He did like some hair flip and dramatic pose while trying to subtly flex then smiled and said”Ahh, hello there! What brings you here?” loving dude thought he was an Elder Scrolls character. So this is what I said to him,

“Put a shirt on you loving weirdo.” and sped up away. I heard him yell”No need to be so rude, traveler!” Dude really thought he was in a fantasy novel. Gf asks if all that was really necessary and I say yes, it was. Was I the rear end in a top hat or was the guy who thought he was some living in some fantasy story the real rear end in a top hat?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Runcible Cat posted:

And at least Judges police their own and send corrupt judges to space Siberia...

From what I know in that universe you get like 10x the equivalent penalty if you use your authority as a super-cop to do crimes.

It’s kinda that problem with every fictional quasi fascist dystopia where the main character isn’t explicitly a bad guy where the writers soften something that would be definitely bad and make the main character sympathetic. Like Dredd may be a quasi-fascist yet he’s also incorruptible and hates sci-fi bigots despite working for a police-junta. I don’t know much about war hammer but I imagine that most imperium officials in books or whatever are written that way.

LookListen
Jul 6, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I saw a very similar thing happen a couple weeks ago. Someone comes out as trans and wants to go by her sister's name.

Is this like, the new anti-trans fearmongering angle? That a trans woman (because it's been a woman each time I've seen it lol) is going to steal your name, and everyone is going to just go with it? Because this is like the second or third time I've seen that kind of story in this thread lmao.

I guess it's heartening if this is the best they can manage for a 'look at how ridiculous and entitled trans women are!' story? Just seems weirdly specific and tame compared to the usual hypotheticals these people handwring or laugh about

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
yeh it's quite interesting to see bc if you know anything about trans folks, it's that we're big on respecting people's names and not just telling people to get stuffed and get used to another one. like, it's pretty important to trans folks to respect people's names. i'm not saying it could never happen (plenty of people misunderstand the heart of things, trans folks are as human as anyone else and can absolutely be assholes about poo poo), but uhhhhhhhhhhhh it definitely raises flags for me as fearmongering

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 22, 2021

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

LookListen posted:

Is this like, the new anti-trans fearmongering angle? That a trans woman (because it's been a woman each time I've seen it lol) is going to steal your name, and everyone is going to just go with it? Because this is like the second or third time I've seen that kind of story in this thread lmao.
It didn't trip my TERF alarm like the "AITA for not letting a female impersonator follow me into the bathroom" stories, but now that you point it out, you're probably right. Sorry everybody!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

ponzicar posted:

Every parent I know proudly displays at least one piece of their children's artwork in their house. It amazes me that there are parents who think otherwise.

I'm at my parents' house and up in the cabinet with some other heirlooms is a paper angel I swear to God I made in kindergarten, which is now over oh god i'm old 30 years ago. I have no idea why they still have it but it's nice that they do!

Also some random watercolor artwork I made when I was maybe 3? I'll admit it does look cool but I have a feeling I'm going to be finding a lot of ancient artifacts of mine when they pass away

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

The Bee posted:

Lmao

OP is an rear end in a top hat but I can't stop picturing this interaction and laughing.

Some guy chopping wood with no shirt on just jovially waving "Well met traveler!" As he stands there waiting for a reply. Then frowns when OP picks the wrong option in the Oblivion speechcraft mini game.

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

The Bee posted:

loving lmao

Shirtless guy is absolutely NTA

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If I remember my Skyrim you can just go back and talk to him again and he'll say the same thing and this time you can take the quest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Trans people stealing our names is even worse than the time Obama forced us to get gay-married.

Anyway let's get back to the REAL problems cis couples deal with everyday.

Husband likes my breast milk

quote:

Husband loves my breast milk…

Hi there I (31F) have had an incredible , loving relationship with my husband (32M) for the last seven years. We met in college and it was instant sparks. We got married after three years together and decided to have our first child together earlier this year (a healthy baby girl!). I was nervous for sexual intimacy after pregnancy/birth as my body had changed quite a bit. I have stretch marks I never had, my breasts are larger and hang lower than before, and my nipples changed size/shape/color. I know this is all normal but I couldn’t help but feel insecure about being physically intimate with my husband. All this aside, he put so much effort into reassuring me I was just as beautiful as ever and making me feel sexy. Long story short, we were having sex and he instinctively began kissing my breasts and I accidentally started lactating during the process. I was HORRIFIED and embarrassed. I have read on forums that is perfectly normal and there is nothing to be embarrassed about but I couldn’t help but feel bad about it. The issue , though, my husband said it tasted quite pleasant and ever since he has been asking to try it again. He won’t stop talking about my breast milk and I even saw him steal a swig from the bottle I had pumped for our baby. I can’t help but feel weird about it. I don’t really care about him taking a sip here and there but he has expressed wanting it from the source so to speak… Can anyone else relate? What do I do? I don’t know how to feel

TL;DR my husband accidentally tried my breast milk during sex and now he wants more and I don’t know how to feel