Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

very upsetting to see. I was hoping to have this return to normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Chad Sexington posted:

The Wet Bandits did eventually wind up catching Kevin though and were about to bite off his fingers so

I'm not sure who the old neighbor is in this analogy.

the old guy is the t cell response, showing up late and after the wet bandits have already caused irreparable damage to the house

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

USA hospital #1 perfect conditions always, empty beds with warm blankets ready for you

:lol:

Having seen how two hospitals near me treated my roommate prior to COVID, I dread the conditions there now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Has there been any details about how effective the pentagon vax is

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
https://twitter.com/judahworldchamp/status/1473313216621129732?s=21

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mild compared to what ahhhhhh

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

euphronius posted:

Well it passed Phase 1 human trials testing and more importantly found the protein subunit generated higher
neutralizing antibodies than any of the competing vaccines.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

euphronius posted:

no but unless I'm wrong they are aiming to solve all coronaviruses in a fell swoop yes?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

euphronius posted:

ask the homeless ppl they tested it on

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Can someone give me the quick rundown on the various tests and what they mean for post-omnicron covid? I struggle keeping the various acronyms in check and am constantly side eyeing folks that say they got a recent negative rn anyways

Goobish
May 31, 2011

It's mildly beyond dominant turns out

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Clearly forged. We all know Tim Apple would use homeopathy, not vaccines.

The three-microgram Pfizer kids dose is just too powerful.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

AppleNippleBOB posted:

So, I'm def not trying to poo poo talk China's covid response - but weren't there a lot of videos that circulated showing how poorly those hospitals were built - like water flowing in when it rain and the like?
I'm sure a good chunk of that was anti-China propaganda, but I vivdly recall it being a thing.

The whole thing is a PR stunt, the same way that bragging about ventilator numbers is. You could build infinite hospitals and that wouldn’t solve a pandemic. Unless you put every person in one hospital each, I guess that would work.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

fosborb posted:

prophecy?! leave this place, witch!

Most questionable prophecy engine has been updated for Omicron!

.. if this is accurate this time around ..

:rubby:

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Clearly forged. We all know Tim Apple would use homeopathy, not vaccines.

Are you thinking of Steve Apple, or did that company somehow manage to find two absolute loons to lead them?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol:

Having seen how two hospitals near me treated my roommate prior to COVID, I dread the conditions there now.

First time I was hospitalized I got a semi-serious blood clot because they ignored me for 3 days when I complained about the IV site starting to hurt. My mistake was not just yanking it out eventually. Thankfully the nurse was good at stomping cockroaches!

This was the 'nice' hospital in town.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Got my Pfizer boost yesterday (after JJ in May).

Wichita Kansas vaccination clinic was popping. Not "crowded" but surprisingly a constant stream of individuals and lots of families.

Arm is sore today. Pec/traps a little sore if I poke at them. Very, very slight ache in my legs. That's all. Thanks for listening.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

kreeningsons posted:

Maryland's covid dashboard is back online, sort of? Showing that we are peaking at ~6k cases a day which is 150% last winter currently. Judging by things in the DC metro area, it's going to get much worse.

Before the blackout they were reporting 7 day averages and per capita case counts for every county, with a comparison tool. Looks like they took that all away, so now all you have is this puny graph below that they buried a behind a few clicks.

The biden admin is absolutely going to continue demolishing our testing infastructure and reporting. It's their only option at this point. It's probably one reason they are pushing for at home tests -- they know at home test positives are less likely to be reported, which deflates our daily case counts.

Right below the graph you snipped it says all the data breakdowns by jurisdiction are coming back. I assume case rate is coming back too. The numbers look very bad though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

:(

drat

https://twitter.com/jdiamond1/status/1473705242399326222?s=21

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
hey joe, can i get some of that four hour pcr turnaround please?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Can't catch covid if you're already dead

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ice Phisherman posted:

Depends on your definition of extreme.

Normalcy is already unsustainable and the very concept of normal is disintegrating in front of our eyes. People will pretend at normal things for a while, but eventually it becomes impossible to sustain the facade of normalcy. We're going to have to cobble together new ideas of normal from the old and we're going to have to make up poo poo that becomes normal in the future.

I was thinking more about this, because it was a fantastic post, but I guess I’m struggling with the Juxtaposition to Ian Kershaw’s The End. Specifically, it seems like a sufficiently committed society, one where the elites have a do-or-die commitment to the project, other possibilities are outside the political imagination and the bare minimum of Treats can be provided can drag on to the bitter end:

Kershaw, The End posted:

Beneath the hail of bombs, in the mayhem of destruction of towns and cities as the Reich collapsed to immensely superior force in east and west, a semblance of ‘normality’ in the mounting chaos was sustained as bureaucracy strained every sinew to continue functioning. Of course, the Reich was shrinking by the day, channels of communication were collapsing, the transport network was as good as at an end, basic utilities like gas, electricity and water were no longer available to millions of homes, and bureaucratic administration faced any number of huge practical problems. But where Germany had not yet fallen under occupied rule, there was no descent into anarchy. Civil administration continued, however ineffectively in the face of extreme adversity and immense dislocation. Military as well as civilian courts continued to hand out ever more severe sentences. Wages and salaries were still being paid in April 1945. Grants awarded by a leading academic body in Berlin were made down to the last weeks of the war to foreign students, even now regarded as an investment for continued German influence in the ‘new Europe’.

Despite mounting handicaps, distribution of the ever more restricted food rations was maintained with difficulty and, increasingly by improvised means, post continued after a fashion to struggle through. Limited forms of entertainment still somehow functioned as a conscious device to sustain morale and distract attention for a short while from the unfolding disaster. A last concert by the Berlin Philharmonic took place on 12 April, four days before the Soviet assault on the Reich capital was launched. The finale from Richard Wagner’s Götterdämmerung was, of course, on the programme. Some cinemas remained open. Only a week before Stuttgart capitulated on 22 April its citizens could find momentary distraction from their trauma through a visit to the cinema to see The Woman of my Dreams. Even football matches were still played. The last game of the war took place as late as 23 April 1945, when FC Bayern Munich, ‘Gaumeister’ of 1945, beat their local rivals TSV 1860 Munich 3–2. Truncated newspapers still appeared. The main Nazi paper, the Völkischer Beobachter, was published in the unoccupied part of southern Germany to the very end. Its last edition, on 28 April 1945, two days before Hitler’s suicide in the Berlin bunker, carried the headline: ‘Fortress Bavaria’.

The fact that the regime did hold out to the end – and that the war ended only when Germany was militarily battered into submission, its economy destroyed, its cities in ruins, the country occupied by foreign powers – is historically an extreme rarity. Wars between states in the modern era have usually ended in some kind of negotiated settlement. The ruling elites of a state facing military defeat have generally sued for peace at some point, and eventually, under some duress, reached a territorial agreement, however disadvantageous. The end of the First World War fitted this pattern. The end of the Second was completely different. The rulers of Germany in 1945, knowing the war was lost and complete destruction beckoned, were nevertheless prepared to fight on until their country was practically obliterated.

My concern here is that Covid is not the Red Army, and makes me wonder if it’s enough to push comfortable libs to the breaking point. If mail, movies and soccer could go on until the Red Army physically arrived, how is covid going to be enough to disrupt Amazon, Netflix and the NFL?

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Goreld posted:

The whole thing is a PR stunt, the same way that bragging about ventilator numbers is. You could build infinite hospitals and that wouldn’t solve a pandemic. Unless you put every person in one hospital each, I guess that would work.

or you could put all covid patients into special covid hospitals, which is one way china managed to get the epidemic under control

if you tested positive, you got shipped off to a covid ward instead of just being told to isolate and infect your family

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Goreld posted:

In China’s case it kind of made sense because the outbreak was limited to Wuhan and adjacent areas. Personnel from the rest of the country could come to help, but they needed facilities to work in.

When your whole country is on fire, then there’s no point in building hospitals.

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
cdc updated their forecast

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Joementum posted:

hey joe, can i get some of that four hour pcr turnaround please?
i've seen sub-12h turnaround from swab to results in scotland, the bottleneck is the lab tech analysing, and courier to collect them from the testing site

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Testvan posted:

Mild

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Testvan posted:

lol

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

give it a couple more days

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Testvan posted:

one of the best running gags in the thread

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

we’re all sick. the disease? capitalism.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Testvan posted:

lmao it actually points up

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Can someone give me the quick rundown on the various tests and what they mean for post-omnicron covid? I struggle keeping the various acronyms in check and am constantly side eyeing folks that say they got a recent negative rn anyways

A majority of tests are either a:
PCR - more expensive and only longer cycle time to get the results

Rapid Antigen- Most take-home tests use this technique, not as accurate as a PCR but following the instructions have a high level
of accuracy especially for symptomatic cases. Accuracy is increased even more in case of negative test by testing 36 hours later

Antibody Test- Probably the least useful of these three types since it only detects COV19 antibodies. Even more useless
if you got vaccinated since the vaccination response would show positive result since that's the whole point of vaccination.

FDA Guide:
https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/coronavirus-disease-2019-testing-basics

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Testvan posted:

So we think, what, twice that in reality?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I mean, I'm happy they extended the loan pause. But I wish they'd just give some sort of long term solution, we got like countless workers on either end of this poo poo just sitting around in a deadlock.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Dren posted:

Right below the graph you snipped it says all the data breakdowns by jurisdiction are coming back. I assume case rate is coming back too. The numbers look very bad though.

oh nice, i didn't see that at first

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

goalposts 🥅 https://twitter.com/celinegounder/status/1473708262080008213?s=21

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

that’s a loose definition of “preventing”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

one of the best running gags in the thread

It slays me that they just gave up and truncated half the forecast range.

It’s like if the National Weather Service said “tomorrow is likely to be similar to today. We have no clue beyond that.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zurtilik posted:

I mean, I'm happy they extended the loan pause. But I wish they'd just give some sort of long term solution, we got like countless workers on either end of this poo poo just sitting around in a deadlock.

The only reason why Sleepy Joe pushed it back (Kamala wanted it!) was because of cratering in his poll number.

For months they were serious on turning back on student loan payments to show the economy had recovered.