Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

C-Euro posted:

I spent years saying "there's no way a Vitamix is worth what they're asking" but when my wife and I bought one as a joint anniversary gift last year I realized what the hype was all about. Someone also tipped us off to look through their refurbished selection and we got a good deal on it.

Yeah, ours is a refurb and it's awesome.

I have never had eggs not stick spectacularly in stainless and I'm a more than competent cook. I've used the heat and fat method (what I use for all stainless cooking) and the eggs stuck like crazy. I know it CAN be done, but it doesn't work for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
We have a set of ceramic-coated pans and pots and they're absolutely loving spectacular. Can't recommend it enough. Only downside is you have to be really, really careful with anything steel (spatulas, forks, spoons, etc.) on that surface. Should avoid it entirely and just stick to plastic/wood/etc.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
My most used baking dish is an enameled cast iron Dutch oven, nicely splits the difference between nonstick and heavy duty, and the ability to move from stovetop to oven and back is invaluable

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1473703761856061445

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

bullying works

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Vertical Lime posted:

bullying works

Feels kinda strategic. Extend it again in April, then again in September to keep it in the news and fresh.

Would be nice to just do it permanently.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I worked in chemical plants, shipyards, deployed to the base with one of the biggest burn pits in Iraq, and spent my twenties doing about any drug that ended up in front of me. At this point, nonstick would probably kill more cancer in me than it caused.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

If you want to do a really cool version of "kitchen item" gift, find an old cast iron pan at an antique store or estate sale (or get one from your deceased grandma when you clean out her house) and restore/reseason it.

I got my grandma's Wagner 10" and a tiny 3" (great for eggs!) because they were rusted. Some time with a drill and wire brush attachment to grind off all the rust then reseasoning and they're some of my best pans. My family was pretty blown away.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Gonna love when they eventually try to convince us again making payments is critical to the economy.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

FizFashizzle posted:

Gonna love when they eventually try to convince us again making payments is critical to the economy.

not that i don't completely agree with you in principle here, but there's a very real chance the economy eats absolute poo poo in the first few months of 2022 and if that happens you can bet your rear end they'll be telling us we need to make payments again to jump-start the economy

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Probably should just keep them paused through the '22 midterms if you're doing this.

I can see a world where they extend the pause again to August/September, start payments up again, and eat even more poo poo in November than is being predicted.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The economy is eating poo poo now and people were quitting lovely jobs.

By attacking the child credit and student loans, they added a bunch of monthly expenses back onto a large portion of the work force.

It’s policy to force labor back into lovely jobs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Braksgirl posted:

Jarlic is fine, but fresh is where it's at.

I'm now gonna only call it Jarlic, but with the Spanish pronunciation of J.

Edit:

Braksgirl posted:

Yeah, ours is a refurb and it's awesome.

I have never had eggs not stick spectacularly in stainless and I'm a more than competent cook. I've used the heat and fat method (what I use for all stainless cooking) and the eggs stuck like crazy. I know it CAN be done, but it doesn't work for me.

I cook eggs in a Le Creuset and both scrambled and fried there's minimal stickage. I use Alton Brown's methods, which I think were designed specifically for stainless.
Scrambled
Fried Eggs

The fried egg method would probably be hard to scale up for your family, but the scrambled one could easily be scaled up by just cooking longer for more eggs.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 22, 2021

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Skwirl posted:

I'm now gonna only call it Jarlic, but with the Spanish pronunciation of J.

Who are you? Peggy Hill?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Toaster Beef posted:

not that i don't completely agree with you in principle here, but there's a very real chance the economy eats absolute poo poo in the first few months of 2022 and if that happens you can bet your rear end they'll be telling us we need to make payments again to jump-start the economy

Nothing stimulates the economy like taking untold millions a month out of the economy and giving them to some loan servicing company.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Toaster Beef posted:

Adding back student loan payments would be awful for the economy since people will stop spending that money and put it back into loan payments.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Bird in a Blender posted:

Adding back student loan payments would be awful for the economy since people will stop spending that money and put it back into loan payments.

yes, i agree

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yep. Resuming loan payments is basically a guaranteed way to plunge us into another (really, really bad) recession.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Please think of Mohelas shareholders

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

It’s all I think about, Fiz. The shareholders.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

OK so the last hour of Matrix pulled up some. There were some really good seeds of ideas there. But it's still the worst of the franchise, and it's not close.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Today's my last day of work for the year and seemingly everyone else knows it, which is annoying.

Also I'm trying to update my work phone with our new security protocol in case someone needs me while I'm out, but I can't even get the Apple App Store to verify me so that I can download what I need to get up-to-date so I guess people will just have to text me if something goes wrong?

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

If loans can't be cancelled outright, is there a way to shift most of them to Twitter blue checks who complain about them despite working for the New York Times?

Can we do that?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Fussy baby? Breaking its loving neck will solve that!!

https://twitter.com/Cryptoterra/status/1473740601468325889

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Hot Diggity! posted:

A chiropractor offering to treat my at-the-time-toddler’s reoccurring ear infections remains one of the funnier moments in my parenting life

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Thaddius the Large posted:

A chiropractor offering to treat my at-the-time-toddler’s reoccurring ear infections remains one of the funnier moments in my parenting life

Was the funny part the chiro's reaction when you said "gently caress no, don't touch him"?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

GD_American posted:

Wow, the new Matrix is terrible

Whelp my brother-in-law & I have been binging the 3 previous Matrix movies in preparation for The Matrix: Ressurection. We would've binged the Spider-Man movies but they're not on HBO Max or Netflix. I believe Amazon Prime has them but that's 6 movies (3 Toby Maguire, 2 Andrew Garfield, and an animated one) to burn thru, and from what I'm hearing there are a lot of callbacks to the previous movies.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

We're doing a Friday matinee of Spider-Man (as my niece said, it's now or never the way poo poo gets spoiled) and I'm trying to keep my expectations to low-medium.

It probably helps that I was one of the very few people that thought the Willem Dafoe Green Goblin sucked.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Whelp my brother-in-law & I have been binging the 3 previous Matrix movies in preparation for The Matrix: Ressurection. We would've binged the Spider-Man movies but they're not on HBO Max or Netflix. I believe Amazon Prime has them but that's 6 movies (3 Toby Maguire, 2 Andrew Garfield, and an animated one) to burn thru, and from what I'm hearing there are a lot of callbacks to the previous movies.

I'm really annoyed with the licensing for the Spider-Man movies. I know it was licensed out well before the MCU started, but god I hate having Disney and I can't even watch some of the best Marvel movies out there.

I'm watching Matrix at some point this weekend, I don't care if it sucks.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Dafoe's Green Goblin is pretty hammy, but IMO Raimi's Spider-Man stays faithful to the silly spirit of the original comics so I let it slide.

I don't think my sister, brother-in-law, or their family are down to going to theaters at the moment so unless Spidrr-Man: No Way Home gets the simultaneous theater/home release I'm going to have to wait until I get back home.

Unrelated: I was down in GA for a big airsoft event last weekend (because I'm I giant nerd) and I was concerned I got COVID-19 due to feeling like garbage.

Test 2 shows I'm negative, so my sore throat is likely just from drinking all those 5-Hour Energy bottles!

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
My garbage disposal just popped :(

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GD_American posted:

It probably helps that I was one of the very few people that thought the Willem Dafoe Green Goblin sucked.

What the gently caress?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'm really annoyed with the licensing for the Spider-Man movies. I know it was licensed out well before the MCU started, but god I hate having Disney and I can't even watch some of the best Marvel movies out there.

The Sony catalog is going to Netflix sometime in the spring, as I recall.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

GD_American posted:

We're doing a Friday matinee of Spider-Man (as my niece said, it's now or never the way poo poo gets spoiled) and I'm trying to keep my expectations to low-medium.

….

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Mr. Nice! posted:

Don’t use nonstick, though. We have enough plastics in our system and nonsticks add a ton.

You can do eggs in stainless. It’s about heating the pan up first then heating the oil then adding eggs. A good way to test if the pan is hot enough is by flicking a drop or two of water into it. If it pools out and sizzles, not hot enough. If it beads up and rolls around the pan, you’re set. Put in your oil of choice and let it heat until it starts splitting. Then add the eggs and they won’t stick.

A similar procedure should be used for most stainless cooking.

gently caress that I'm cooking my eggs on easy mode

GD American is right about Dafoe

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Just finished Hawkeye and overall liked it. They did a whole rear end musical number from start tonfinish for this show huh...

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Thaddius the Large posted:

Anthony Bourdain endorsed using prechopped garlic from a jar when possible, which is every bit of rationalization I need for my cooking

I seem to remember one of his books saying that people who used prechopped or minced garlic from a jar didn't deserve real garlic and were scum. Maybe he changed his opinion at some point. There's a company out here that makes semi dried herbs and aromatics including garlic. Its basically fine chopped gloves that have been par dried. They're a big, big upgrade over the stuff in a jar.

That being said I have seen a recipe that called for garlic from a jar because it's a little sweeter and fresh chopped garlic - both at the start of the cooking process and right at the end off the heat. It was a very garlicky dish but so tasty.

GD_American posted:

I worked in chemical plants, shipyards, deployed to the base with one of the biggest burn pits in Iraq, and spent my twenties doing about any drug that ended up in front of me. At this point, nonstick would probably kill more cancer in me than it caused.

I was talking to some friends last night about spraying weeds that pop up in your driveway or between cracks in concrete and how on a windy day you'd feel woozy doing it for a while. Then I remembered one time I did it with a cigar in my gob and kind of chuckled at my own stupidity.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Hot Diggity! posted:

When I did injury claims I had a woman take her literal baby to the chiropractor who did an adjustment and then they took the baby to a real doctor and found the baby had a crack in the transverse process of the vertebrae. The woman lost her mind *at me* when I told her that her baby did not need 6 weeks of daily chiro treatment to FIX A FRACTURE

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

gently caress that I'm cooking my eggs on easy mode

That reminds me I need to get a new nonstick pan. I've had my current one for maybe seven years? And the drat thing's warped, now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
bourdain calmed down a lot on the prepped ingredients issue once he had to do the work all day thing and then go home to cook while taking care of your kid. which yea, that poo poo sucks.

a historian friend of mine made a great point once when she told me that its an historic aberration to have workers go home and make their own food. typically in most cultures through medieval and modern history you just went to some local dining hall or cart on the way home.

C-Euro posted:

Probably should just keep them paused through the '22 midterms if you're doing this.

I can see a world where they extend the pause again to August/September, start payments up again, and eat even more poo poo in November than is being predicted.

yes please do this and also legalize weed. thank god they got bullied into extending it again, that's such a huge help for me, I spent most of the morning looking at my budget for january and getting sad