Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

The Pirate Captain posted:

Per my earlier tip, you can X out the top right square

can you explain in a little more detail how you know its the top right? I'm not sure I entirely follow. Also thank you for the serotonin producing yellow post juice everyone. Please don't own me. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

So from what I can tell this is where I should be using the mega clues to be able to fill in extra squares but I'm stuck. The only thing I can think of is that I can assume the block one up from the bottom row is absolutely part of the 4 blob. Am I wrong in assuming the 2 blob can sit on one row, did I miss something in the tutorial? And is there anything I can reliably infer about the other 4 blob I don't have any squares for that I might not be getting?

Basically... you know that the 2 Blog fills up a single column in that horizontal row, because the other filled space has to be part of the 4 blob. The two blob also can't have any of the 4 blob touching it. So that tells you where that 2 blog goes. You also can tell that the 4 blob is going to extend to the right, because it has to go somewhere and it can't go to the left.

The upper right corner can have an X placed on it because the Blue 1 goes first and it can't have filled space next to it.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

can you explain in a little more detail how you know its the top right? I'm not sure I entirely follow. Also thank you for the serotonin producing yellow post juice everyone. Please don't own me. Thanks.

Hahah, sure thing. When you have a number and a blob in a column, link in this case, the number comes first and the blob comes second, going top to bottom. Because you have a 1 there, that means that there must be a solo 1 filled in that column before there can be anything in the other column. So if the top right square were filled, that would mean it is part of the blob, but that can’t be because the 1 has to come first.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Hahah, sure thing. When you have a number and a blob in a column, link in this case, the number comes first and the blob comes second, going top to bottom. Because you have a 1 there, that means that there must be a solo 1 filled in that column before there can be anything in the other column. So if the top right square were filled, that would mean it is part of the blob, but that can’t be because the 1 has to come first.

ok excellent thank you! I'm stuck again but this is good and helpful stuff everyone, but especially you captain. I'll edit in the screenshot of where I'm stuck at now if anyone wants to give any nebulous hints as to what things I'm completely oblivious about now. I am once again begging you to not own me for being dumb as poo poo.

Can mega clues on different axises interact or not? That seems relevant.

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 22, 2021

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Leftmost column is complete and can get an X at the bottom.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Snake Maze posted:

Leftmost column is complete and can get an X at the bottom.

gently caress i'm so stupid what did I just say about owning me~! (thank you)

I was so confused why the 2 was still blue lmao

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Happy to help. I love Picross and want to share it with as many people as possible!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Can mega clues on different axises interact or not? That seems relevant.

Yes, absolutely. Snake Maze gave you one clue, but here’s another - if you consider the possibilities for the 4 blob column on the right, no matter where the other 2 fills are, there could not be one where you have your cursor.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The hardest Mega puzzles are ones with intersecting mega lines that leave total ambiguity over everything.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Happy to help. I love Picross and want to share it with as many people as possible!

Yes, absolutely. Snake Maze gave you one clue, but here’s another - if you consider the possibilities for the 4 blob column on the right, no matter where the other 2 fills are, there could not be one where you have your cursor.

ok that did it. I'm going to get blackout drunk and then try this puzzle again before I post more screenshots of me sucking at mega picross itt but thank you everyone.

e: I nailed the next 10x10 one in less time than it took me to redo the one I struggled with. Thanks goons! Thoons!

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 22, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

American McGay posted:

The hardest Mega puzzles are ones with intersecting mega lines that leave total ambiguity over everything.

I finish a lot of the big mega puzzles by just filling in spaces that have two intersecting blobs that are each like 11 and 13.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
What neo geo games available on the switch are good? Any genre.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I bought all the Picri just now. I don’t regret it yet, but I feel like I will when I start seeing numbers and squares in similar patterns in real life.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

I bought all the Picri just now. I don’t regret it yet, but I feel like I will when I start seeing numbers and squares in similar patterns in real life.

That’s called the Tetris effect and it will 100% happen.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Oscar Wild posted:

What neo geo games available on the switch are good? Any genre.

Big Tournament Golf (renamed from Neo Turf Masters), Blazing Star, Magical Drop 3 (Money Puzzle Exchanger if you want more), Puzzle Bobble 2, Metal Slug series (5 is my favorite but most people love 3) and Shock Troopers. For fighting games Garou: Mark of the Wolves, The King of Fighters 98 or 2002, Last Blade 2 or Samurai Shodown 2. There's no online play so if you want that maybe skip the fighting games.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Didn't happen for me until Tetris Attack came along.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

See also: Katamari Damacy, or watching too many powerwashing videos.

You just.... You just wanna do that EVERYWHERE.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I gotta say, BoW is a bit different but it's interesting they really seemed to go in for the exploring stuff angle rather than just constant combat or something. There's not a ton of monsters and all but I'm enjoying exploring and not feeling like I have to constantly fight. The weapon durability is a bit laughable though.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
oh no you said the thing

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I like when you hang up a boomerang in your house and it just hangs awkwardly out of the frame. Reminds me of a DIY project I would do.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Levitate posted:

I gotta say, BoW is a bit different but it's interesting they really seemed to go in for the exploring stuff angle rather than just constant combat or something. There's not a ton of monsters and all but I'm enjoying exploring and not feeling like I have to constantly fight. The weapon durability is a bit laughable though.

Durability is fine, the biggest problem is the pisspoor combat. Thankfully, like you mentioned it's easily avoidable for the most part. Enjoy the exploring, it's the best.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Durability is fine, the biggest problem is the pisspoor combat. Thankfully, like you mentioned it's easily avoidable for the most part. Enjoy the exploring, it's the best.

Fighting mobs really sucks but I do enjoy taking down Lynels and Moldugas 1v1 with varying challenging restrictions.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What's so bad about the combat? :shrug:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It's fun enough to make goons just wave it off

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Fighting mobs really sucks but I do enjoy taking down Lynels and Moldugas 1v1 with varying challenging restrictions.

Probably the best fights in the game, and that's only when you're at risk of dying.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What's so bad about the combat? :shrug:

It's dead-easy and repetitive. The rhythm for Flurry Rush and Parrying aren't that difficult and once you've got them, no enemy poses a significant challenge. Upgraded armors help in negating any real threat to your health, let alone the fact that you can smash eat meat sticks or better yet the foods that fully heal you to eliminate any real threat of death.

Like the previous poster said you need to put restrictions on yourself to make it remotely fun after a certain point, which is fine, but even that doesn't do much when the 3 weapon types are just that simple animations of various speeds and power. Every fight ends up feeling the same very very fast, and once you remove the risk of death/bodily harm it feels rather pointless especially when the rewards are often a weapon you don't need. It doesn't help the mobs don't have much variation in how they fight but do have massive pools of health so killing them just becomes tedious.

Combat is best in the early game where you can die, don't know how to fight, or have no real good items or amor. But the power creep is pretty real, and while you can deny yourself that, it's not the point of the game.

It does provide a fantastic engine to gently caress with mobs thanks to its physics, but rarely are those techniques faster or more effective than wading in with a good armor, a two-handed blade and spinning till you win it, eating when necessary. And that's boring. You don't have to do that of course, but the alternatives aren't much better.

I know the games are very different but the pinnacle of action-adventure combat for me at least was in Dark Souls. Every weapon felt unique and had a learning curve to some degree and even late game all enemies pose a threat no matter your armor. You always have to be on the ball. Zelda combat shouldn't be a feature. Just let you do some fancy sword moves and call it a day. Skyward Sword has the same issue. They really tried to make a "fun" combat system and it still sucks, making fights become a "wait till the right moment and strike" snoozefest. Just let me hit my moblin with the right amount of sword slashes and move on.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Counterpoint Dark souls mostly has real boring weapons and doesn't have sheild surfing and dope rear end archery

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Speaking of that I finally got Tetris Effect and I never knew this is what I needed Tetris to be

Your button presses make the beats in the music! It's astonishing how good it sounds

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Junkie Disease posted:

Counterpoint Dark souls mostly has real boring weapons and doesn't have sheild surfing and dope rear end archery

I wish you could shoot arrows while shield surfing

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Junkie Disease posted:

They are both good games OP. What do you mean boring weapons? It's not like BotW has incredible variety.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

mdemone posted:

Speaking of that I finally got Tetris Effect and I never knew this is what I needed Tetris to be

Your button presses make the beats in the music! It's astonishing how good it sounds

Omg I know. It's the one game I loathe to play without sound because of how effective the sounds are. It's made me a better Tetris player.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I wish you could shoot arrows while shield surfing

https://youtu.be/QOdybAJXuXk

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Please explain further.

Saints row 4 has some of the smoothest and funnest movement in a videogame ive played. I spent hours just running around in the world

I ignored the story so like, idk the plot might suck. Too busy running up skyscrapers and jumping off the top

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Oscar Wild posted:

They are both good games OP. What do you mean boring weapons? It's not like BotW has incredible variety.

This is the switch thread just say something is bad and provide no proof or solid reasoning

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
The only knocks I have against BotW are the dull combat and broken cooking system. I don't love weapon durability just like I don't love the lack of traditional dungeons, but these were concessions they made to make the game work the way it does and I get it. It's a hair away from perfect besides.

All of this Picross talk reminds me that I bought Picross S a while ago and still haven't tried it. The fact that some of you dudes pop in here asking for hints is a little intimidating, but no one needs the brain workout more than I do.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Oh okay. Perhaps I just didn't have it equipped when I tried.

Time to go be legolink

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

mdemone posted:

I got rid of Puyo Puyo Tetris after downloading Tetris 99, and got rid of Tetris 99 after trying Tetris Effect. It feels very definitive.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

The only complaint I have with the combat is some late game enemies being damage sponges, even with damage buffs and like +80 weapons

Also, this may be vague but what's the name of that insane Japanese player on Twitter?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
if botw2 doesn't have a recipe log I'm gonna be sad

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Looper posted:

if botw2 doesn't have a recipe log I'm gonna be sad

lmao if you're not just chucking in whatever looks neat and scarfing it down.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Finished up my annual Bayonetta runthrough and spent a while looking at all the baddies in the enemy viewer. Here is the best I could do from game assets. Can't wait to see more of the big green guys in B3.
https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1473724296467996673?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Omg I know. It's the one game I loathe to play without sound because of how effective the sounds are. It's made me a better Tetris player.

I still haven't come in first in a Tetris99 match, and it's kind of been driving me a bit nuts lately.

I get so close (between #2 and #4) and then get sent something like 16 lines of garbage. :negative: