Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Yes, I'm continuing the derail, but no one should be using 9v smoke detectors anymore. 10 year sealed batteries have been the standard for over a decade and smoke/CO combination detectors that all go off if one goes off are as cheap as smoke only detectors.

Don't be loving stupid or cheap with a $22 item that will save you or your family's life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Detect this! :fart:

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Yes, I'm continuing the derail, but no one should be using 9v smoke detectors anymore. 10 year sealed batteries have been the standard for over a decade and smoke/CO combination detectors that all go off if one goes off are as cheap as smoke only detectors.

Don't be loving stupid or cheap with a $22 item that will save you or your family's life.

Anyone who advocates for anything that is good for anyone else is a Communist and I don't support it

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Murderion posted:

I got told I'm getting a larger than expected bonus this year because someone quit, and the bonus pot is split among the whole shop.

Our bonus structure is a tontine :psyduck:

:killing:

(Nah, not really- unless...)

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Motronic posted:

This is bad advice, and contrary to most fire codes. It's also not a thing that is commonly available as a standalone device, rather used as part of a full home wired system for very, very obvious reasons.

Not everyone lives in America, the gold standard in the UK is mains powered linked alarms, with heat alarms in the kitchen and bathroom, smoke alarms in every other room.

I literally just had mine done as part of having a loft conversion, we had an inspector come round and certify it

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Murderion posted:

Our bonus structure is a tontine :psyduck:
I get that joke because I watched an episode of the Simspons. I know I am not alone in this.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Scientastic posted:

Not everyone lives in America, the gold standard in the UK is mains powered linked alarms, with heat alarms in the kitchen and bathroom, smoke alarms in every other room.

I literally just had mine done as part of having a loft conversion, we had an inspector come round and certify it

Yeah it's the law in Scotland now, it was supposed to be 2021 but the deadline got extended to 2022. Just got myself a set on interlinked alarms to put up. Heat Alarm in the kitchen, smoke alarms in the other rooms plus CO detector beside the wood burner.

Speaking of bonuses there used to be a Off Licence here in the UK where the regional managers bonus was based on his store managers NOT getting thier bonuses. The logic being that the targets he set for the store were good if the managers didn't exceed them and thus get a bonus. If only there were other ways for a regional manager to gently caress with a stores bonus.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I had a cheap apartment where the smoke alarm would go off if I used the stove. I got in the habit of taking it down, putting it in a ziploc bag while I cooked, and then put it back up when I was done. And no, I never forgot to put it back up.

The idea of sleeping without a working smoke alarm creeps me out.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

bee posted:

First day of my new job in a government agency and I don't have a computer. I accepted and signed the contract for this role over a month ago.

Public service, how I've missed u

My computer (surface pro) finally arrived today! When I opened the box, it was missing the keyboard cover and the charger. The IT service desk closed the issue ticket about 5 minutes after the courier sent the email notification that the computer had been delivered to my site office. Good work team!

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Scientastic posted:

A friend in the UK had the same in his 5 year old house - and last month had a fire at 3am. The mains powered alarms didn't go off, but luckily a cheap battery powered smoke detector in a spare room did.

They lost everything but their pajamas and had to lower the kids from an upstairs window. I think the lesson there is just because the test button works on a smoke alarm, it doesn't mean the alarm will actually detect smoke.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Baconroll posted:

A friend in the UK had the same in his 5 year old house - and last month had a fire at 3am. The mains powered alarms didn't go off, but luckily a cheap battery powered smoke detector in a spare room did.

They lost everything but their pajamas and had to lower the kids from an upstairs window. I think the lesson there is just because the test button works on a smoke alarm, it doesn't mean the alarm will actually detect smoke.

Also a mains-powered alarm would be reliant on your power WORKING while there's a fire, which isn't necessarily always going to be the case depending on how that fire started.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also a mains-powered alarm would be reliant on your power WORKING while there's a fire, which isn't necessarily always going to be the case depending on how that fire started.

Main powered alarms have battery backups in them.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A guy I went to university with worked in a detector factory most summers while he was studying. He told us never to trust anything that the company made, he'd seen the QA and production line standards.

Coincidentally, they were the brand of detector used in all the university buildings.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

i just make some sacrifices to Hephaestus and call it a day.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Scientastic posted:

Your kitchen should have a heat detector fire alarm, not a smoke alarm, and the other smoke alarms in the house are easily defeated by closing the kitchen door and opening a window.

Source: we only got round to putting a kitchen door on last year and it changed our lives

I have an over the range microwave with vent fan setup and the fan was broken for a couple years after I moved in (previous owners clearly never cleaned it and the clogging got so bad it probably burned something out). We did eventually get a new microwave but I think i only set off smoke detectors a couple of times despite cooking regularly, and the times I can remember were due to mistakes or whatever, preseasoning some oil too long and letting it smoke while distracted kinda deals. Curious how you guys tripped it so often.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

I get that joke because I watched an episode of the Simspons. I know I am not alone in this.

There's an episode of archer where his butler's WW1 tontine comes back to haunt them

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm IT in a factory, mostly for the office side of things. occasionally I have to do some stuff on the manufacturing side, but very rarely.

One thing I dislike is that every department in the building has to order their own laptops, which we then prepare and load up with all the required programs and junk, but because of the way the budgets are all set up, I can't just have like, 5-10 new/fresh laptops on hand for people when they break or anything, because each dept is responsible for their own laptops. and warranties? Lol. God forbid someone quits and I reclaim their laptop to prepare it for a new hire, because that's [X] Department's Laptop, and cannot be given to any other department. At least it's consistent, I guess.

Don't forget of all our offices, we requisition the worst and lowest cost laptops, for what, 200 dollar savings per employee? And people are using old as gently caress computers in some cases, like up to 6-7 years old. The only reason some people are even using "newer" computers is because their old ones couldn't run Windows 10. The horror stories I hear from the migration from 7 to 10... and soon, 10 to 11 lmao. I heard we are estimated that we'll have to replace 75% of all our computers. Lol.

The whole discussion about companies or execs being penny wise but a pound foolish describes my branch to a loving letter. We'll spend thousands of dollars on payroll to save a couple hundred bucks on equipment, not realizing that poo poo adds up so fast in terms of productivity and efficiency. They'd rather spend money on waiting for poo poo to happen than to see actual progress.

We're hemorrhaging employees bad right now too. I talked to a guy in the factory the other day who said that he wasn't too busy, he only had 10 people on shift. I asked how many he usually has. He said 35. "People keep quitting" I wonder why... the office side is just as bad. I guess some engineers realized they were the most senior staff after a bunch of people left and used it as leverage to squeeze a 15-20%+ raise out of the company.

I had two weeks of 'training' when I started that was basically my predecessor showing me his huge OneNote file and telling me he keeps most of the stuff there. He showed me a handful of stuff he usually runs through and tbh the job is relatively quiet and easy, but that fact also kind of drives me crazy. I'd rather be busy, which makes the time pass faster. The standing tickets I have right now are things I literally cannot do during working hours and you better believe I'm not volunteering to come in on the weekend to update the firmware on every switch in the building (some of which aren't even physically accessible, if god forbid, they fail to update or get locked up in a state that requires them to be hard reset. When I say inaccessible. I mean, its a switch on top of some pipes 50 feet in the air). Did I mention this is an onsite role when I could probably be remote AT LEAST 3 days a week?

Maybe i'm stupid and these aren't real issues but they sure bother me!!

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

star eater posted:

I guess some engineers realized they were the most senior staff after a bunch of people left and used it as leverage to squeeze a 15-20%+ raise out of the company.

Good for them 🙂

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The CEO of my Fortune 500 company sent a letter to the Premier of our province and Minister of industry railing against lockdowns and saying we should be encouraging "non-drug" related immune system boosters.

He also threatened to move business out of the province

This man's brain is loving broken.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
'If you don't let me do my crazy poo poo in here I'll take it someplace else! I mean it!'

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

The CEO of my Fortune 500 company sent a letter to the Premier of our province and Minister of industry railing against lockdowns and saying we should be encouraging "non-drug" related immune system boosters.

He also threatened to move business out of the province

This man's brain is loving broken.

What does he want them to do, tell people to take vitamin C or something?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

wilderthanmild posted:

What does he want them to do, tell people to take vitamin C or something?

Natural immunity. Give everyone covid during the holidays when they will be out of work anyway and then once they have recovered they...uh...won't get covid again.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Ah, the mutation denial theory of immunology.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I like the idiots who say they are Naturally Immune to Covid. It's clear they've never heard of Typhoid Mary.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Natural immunity - It worked with the black death!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

hosed if I know. I was very close to screen-capping it and sending it off to the news, but I'm sure it'd find it's way back to me.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Natural immunity - It worked with the black death!

Burn down London to help end Covid.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

MA-Horus posted:

hosed if I know. I was very close to screen-capping it and sending it off to the news, but I'm sure it'd find it's way back to me.

If there's more than 50 people who could have leaked it I'd go for it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Day crew at Amazon FC: Singles Smalls is overloaded (like it has been EVERY 2-3 HOURS since Black Friday)! Let's take a bunch of totes (the rectangular yellow buckets that take loose items to the packers) off of the pack line and downstack them at destination. Easy peasy!

Also Days: Now that we have the totes of work downstacked and off the line, here at destination, let us put them ON CARTS and take them AWAY FROM DESTINATION!

Also Days: Forsooth yon maiden, keeper of thine Main Tote Sorter! Let us put these totes back on the router so that they can verrily be sorted by the machinery and sent back to yon Singles Smalls?

Days Jackpot Operator: Excuse me? What? Your line is still full and you want to take work that has reached its destination back over here to be re-sorted when your line is still full and blocking the rest of the building from getting its work?

Days: ...Yes!

Days Jackpot Operator: No. And I don't have time to paint you a picture on why this is a dumb idea.

LATER AT SHIFT CHANGE:

Me (the Nights Jackpot Operator): Could you explain that again?

Days Jackpot Operator: [explains again]

Me: Uh...are you sure? Was there a breakdown on the shipdock or something?

Days: No. Everything actually ran fine today, the Flat Sorter broke even less than normal today.

Me: Do you smell burnt toast? I'm sorry I think I'm having an aneurysm trying to dumb myself down enough to understand this. They wanted to put work...that had reached its destination...on the router...to be re-sorted?

Days Jackpot Operator: Oh and they also shut down 8 pack-walls of AFE (Amazon Fulfillment Engine: multi-item packages) to process Smalls work there...and shut down the Smalls line?

Me: WHY!?

Days Jackpot Operator: They thought it would be faster. (Spoilers: it wasn't, it took nearly all of night shift to catch back up).

Me: Maybe they wanted the stuff to be re-sorted to the AFE walls they shut down?

Days Jackpot Operator: Nope, they shut down the walls hours after they tried to give me cartloads of properly sorted Singles totes.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
I mean if I worked for Amazon I'd want to sabotage them too.

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost
I just heard that the hospital network I used to work for didn't give a Christmas bonus and instead gave all the employees a couple of at home COVID tests with a note saying it was a gift of health. And I'm pretty sure they got those tests for free from the government. People are understandably not happy after dealing with this pandemic for 2 years.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
so I got so frustrated with all the stuff at my company I put in my resignation, talked with my manager, we agreed on my last day in early January (just about two weeks from now) to wrap out some things, pass my duties on, etc. I don't have no kids and some money saved so gently caress living life frustrated every day, I gotta move on.

they went above her head, and ended me yesterday because of 'security reasons'. poo poo is still undone, projects unfinished. talking with coworkers behind the scenes, they haven't assigned my infrastructure tasks (such as managing timesheets) to anyone else. Likely they've even forgotten I handled these things, as they only were hastily assigned to me in a one-line chat message after a previous co-workers resignation.

Good luck next pay cycle, assholes. I was trying to be nice and wrap it all out for you and make sure none of that poo poo got dropped like it did last time, gently caress.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 22, 2021

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

so I got so frustrated with all the stuff at my company I put in my resignation, talked with my manager, we agreed on my last day in early January (just about two weeks from now) to wrap out some things, pass my duties on, etc. I don't have no kids and some money saved so gently caress living life frustrated every day, I gotta move on.

they went above her head, and ended me yesterday because of 'security reasons'. poo poo is still undone, projects unfinished. talking with coworkers behind the scenes, they haven't assigned my infrastructure tasks (such as managing timesheets) to anyone else. Likely they've even forgotten I handled these things, as they only were hastily assigned to me in a one-line chat message after a previous co-workers resignation.

Good luck next pay cycle, assholes. I was trying to be nice and wrap it all out for you and make sure none of that poo poo got dropped like it did last time, gently caress.

Make sure when they call you in a week begging for help you ask for 5x your previous hourly rate

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
never give your work warning youre about to quit. it feels like a dick move but someone higher on the fpod chain will use it as an excuse to gently caress with you

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
yeh I know the old rule, I figured since they actually needed poo poo done they wouldn't pull the rug out from under me, but welp. there ya go. i was foolish.

and they have already started calling, lol

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Fatigued posted:

I just heard that the hospital network I used to work for didn't give a Christmas bonus and instead gave all the employees a couple of at home COVID tests with a note saying it was a gift of health. And I'm pretty sure they got those tests for free from the government. People are understandably not happy after dealing with this pandemic for 2 years.

Heros work here! And like other heroes, we thank them with mostly insincere adulation, but not things they could use to pay the rent!

Robo Reagan posted:

never give your work warning youre about to quit. it feels like a dick move but someone higher on the fpod chain will use it as an excuse to gently caress with you

Giving two weeks as a courtesy is standard, and if they decide to can you right away it's their problem and you get two weeks vacation if you can afford that. Quitting without notice will gently caress with any references from former co-workers, managers, etc. Obviously it depends on where you work and what people are like but I have always given two weeks and it hasn't been a problem.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

StrangersInTheNight posted:

yeh I know the old rule, I figured since they actually needed poo poo done they wouldn't pull the rug out from under me, but welp. there ya go. i was foolish.

and they have already started calling, lol

I hope you aren't answering without a consultation fee.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

star eater posted:

Don't forget of all our offices, we requisition the worst and lowest cost laptops, for what, 200 dollar savings per employee? And people are using old as gently caress computers in some cases, like up to 6-7 years old. The only reason some people are even using "newer" computers is because their old ones couldn't run Windows 10. The horror stories I hear from the migration from 7 to 10... and soon, 10 to 11 lmao. I heard we are estimated that we'll have to replace 75% of all our computers. Lol.

The whole discussion about companies or execs being penny wise but a pound foolish describes my branch to a loving letter. We'll spend thousands of dollars on payroll to save a couple hundred bucks on equipment, not realizing that poo poo adds up so fast in terms of productivity and efficiency. They'd rather spend money on waiting for poo poo to happen than to see actual progress.

When I started taking over IT duties here at work about 5 years ago, one of the first things I had to do was order a replacement laptop for someone, so I asked my boss (one of the owners at the time) what the budget was.

"Oh, 200-250, somewhere in there?"

I explained that at that price point the only thing we were going to get was lovely laptops or maybe slightly better refurbished ones (thank god I have a microcenter local), and that we would just be replacing them in a year or two.

Over the last 5 years I've somehow managed to bring him over to my way of thinking so pretty much now as long as I don't go too crazy I can grab whatever I want. No more buying a $250 laptop with 4 gigs of ram and integrated graphics for someone that needs to run Fusion360 or Solidworks.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
2 weeks notice is also a practical choice if you're working for Fortune 500s because you probably won't even be properly termed by that point and you can still talk to HR that isn't an answering machine when a mistake is inevitably made as they execute their 16-step-3-business-system termination process.

But also don't give notice assuming you're going to get those 2 weeks. You'll know you made the right choice if they instantly can you because there's no mutual respect there but also if you're counting on that pay or vacation accrual Murphy's law has a way of causing issues.

If there is a security or other complication the smart thing is to usually just put them on admin leave for their notice period and then the employer avoids whatever scary situation they are imagining while bosses and co workers can still call them without spite responses of "I don't work for you and I don't discuss past employer's business."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Are you working for healthcare by any chance? Every time I gave two weeks, they hosed with me hard; one time my badge wouldn't let me back in the same day I gave notice and I had to borrow a co-workers to go to the bathroom up until I left