Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean it's been done to death so I don't really mind. We ended up with an unexpected spin on it at least.

This is where I'm at. I just assumed he'd already learned the lessons before Homecoming. As much as I like watching elderly people die, I was fine with skipping this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Karloff posted:

The whole Ben thing is weird. I would say this film confirms he doesn't exist or at least didn't exist in the way one would think? But, there is also this odd rule that they can't mention him in relation to Holland, like there was a big moment in this film where they could mention him and they pointedly don't. Almost like they want to keep that card in their pocket.

Whatever the reason is to ignore or downplay Ben's importance to his origin in Civil War, and then also Homecoming, by the third main film and several appearances in total it was too late to go "oh, there was this character who we've never shown or mentioned who had some words of wisdom you need to live your whole life by from this point on."

Edit: the spoiler tags suddenly stopped working so I took out the main spoiler. The closing tags just disappear...?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 22, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Close those spoiler tags

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Peter’s “why I do” speech in Civil War was pretty drat good without retreading on the same old beats. Having them do an actual uncle (ok aunt) death in this one, a whole 3 movies later after Spidey has been firmly established as someone doing the right thing because he understands the responsibility of his power just seems like a twist for the sake of having something on-screen to tie Holland with the other 2 since he hadn’t had anyone die on him yet. It just felt like a fridging and kinda bad.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What if the reason they’ve never shown Ben Parker is not because they just didn’t want to do that story but Ben is actually Benjamin “Reilly” Parker :getin:

Since nobody remembers Peter, maybe Ben Reilly is the name he used to build a new life, in honor of said uncle

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Peter’s “why I do” speech in Civil War was pretty drat good without retreading on the same old beats. Having them do an actual uncle (ok aunt) death in this one, a whole 3 movies later after Spidey has been firmly established as someone doing the right thing because he understands the responsibility of his power just seems like a twist for the sake of having something on-screen to tie Holland with the other 2 since he hadn’t had anyone die on him yet. It just felt like a fridging and kinda bad.

A lot of people seem to be going "omg, this was a 3-movie origin!" but my takeaway was that, like you said, he already paraphrased the famous phrase in Civil War and seemingly wanted to be a hero because he understood you can't just stand by. In this film it felt like Great Responsibility was used to teach him the hard lessons, like not killing your enemies for vengeance, or to protect your loved ones even if it means they can't be your loved ones anymore.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
I bet theyre going to explore the stuff you guys are talking about in spiderman: freshman yeat

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ilikedirt posted:

I bet theyre going to explore the stuff you guys are talking about in spiderman: freshman yeat

I believe you mean Spider-Man: Dorm is Home

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Spider-Man: Work From Home

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

ilikedirt posted:

Freshman Yeet, in which he just launches random poo poo from his webshooters

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Spider-Man : Freshmen Fifteen

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Spider-Man: Work From Home

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
One thing I gotta prop about all three of these Sony/Disney Spider-films is how gashdang well they end up executing...er...I mean, depicting their villains. These weird dilfs are never disappointing, yes I said what I said.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What if the reason they’ve never shown Ben Parker is not because they just didn’t want to do that story but Ben is actually Benjamin “Reilly” Parker :getin:

You can’t keep getting away with this

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BrianWilly posted:

One thing I gotta prop about all three of these Sony/Disney Spider-films is how gashdang well they end up executing...er...I mean, depicting their villains. These weird dilfs are never disappointing, yes I said what I said.
Yes they nailed all of them. Which is not easy to do.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Post credit trailer is officially out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt_UqUm38BI

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I think I was more excited to see Shuma Gorath than any of the NWH characters. I guess it was just the more unexpected thing

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Pretty fun. Wanda is one of my MCU favorites and Shuma Gorath is neat, but I'm still pretty stunned one of the animated What If characters is making the big screen.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SonicRulez posted:

Pretty fun. Wanda is one of my MCU favorites and Shuma Gorath is neat, but I'm still pretty stunned one of the animated What If characters is making the big screen.

Is that really the same Dark Stephen. He seemed somewhat content being the guardian of the stones/ultron in his own pocket of a universe but I do remember remember something about it making a showing on this one. The scene of Stephen looking to a broken dark world was actually pretty close to the what of episode too so maybe they really are going in that direction.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm glad to finally see America Chavezthough she doesn't really do anything or say anything. The proper trailer will probably have that though.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I'm glad to finally see America Chavezthough she doesn't really do anything or say anything. The proper trailer will probably have that though.

We do see one of her star portals though, which looks amazing.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

One thing I really didn't like about No Way Home is how they painted all of the villains with the same brush. The idea that all of the bad guys will stop being evil once they lose their powers is really lame and doesn't even make sense within the context of the original films. In ASM2 Electro started losing it after he got his powers, but if Spider-Man had been able to soothe his mania he might have been saved. And Sandman wasn't really evil at all, he was a desperate man who saw the sand powers as a tool to do what he felt needed to be done. The impetus for him turning against Peter in NWH also felt extremely forced. It reminded me of how all the special powers are tied into one cosmic source in the new Mortal Kombat film: overly convenient and the story starts feeling a lot flatter as a result.

I wasn't a fan of the film as a whole, to be quite honest. I really liked all the performances, though. Everyone was giving it their all, even actors who weren't really delivering in their earlier Spider-Man appearances *cough*Jamie Foxx*cough*.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Retro Futurist posted:

I think I was more excited to see Shuma Gorath than any of the NWH characters. I guess it was just the more unexpected thing

Well unfortunately that's supposedly the Sea Monster of Gargantos according to Lego leaks.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is that really the same Dark Stephen. He seemed somewhat content being the guardian of the stones/ultron in his own pocket of a universe but I do remember remember something about it making a showing on this one. The scene of Stephen looking to a broken dark world was actually pretty close to the what of episode too so maybe they really are going in that direction.
It seems like that’s who that is

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

JordanKai posted:

One thing I really didn't like about No Way Home is how they painted all of the villains with the same brush. The idea that all of the bad guys will stop being evil once they lose their powers is really lame and doesn't even make sense within the context of the original films. In ASM2 Electro started losing it after he got his powers, but if Spider-Man had been able to soothe his mania he might have been saved. And Sandman wasn't really evil at all, he was a desperate man who saw the sand powers as a tool to do what he felt needed to be done. The impetus for him turning against Peter in NWH also felt extremely forced. It reminded me of how all the special powers are tied into one cosmic source in the new Mortal Kombat film: overly convenient and the story starts feeling a lot flatter as a result.

I wasn't a fan of the film as a whole, to be quite honest. I really liked all the performances, though. Everyone was giving it their all, even actors who weren't really delivering in their earlier Spider-Man appearances *cough*Jamie Foxx*cough*.

Sandman especially made no sense because 60 seconds earlier he's saying he doesn't wanna go do villain poo poo because he wants to get home to his daughter, then Norman turns goblin and he just decides, well i guess I'll go be a villain???

site fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 22, 2021

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Dr. Strange and What-If Connection Speculation below:

It certainly seems like the same character (Strange Supreme) but I'm thinking that while the trailer wants us to think they're a villain - in the movie they'll be a cautionary tale, not necessarily an antagonist.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh yeah I just got a thought from the new trailer: the stones are destroyed in this universe and Steve brought the ones they used back their respective time pre-destruction AND Wong is the sorcerer supreme. So why the hell does Stephen still bother with the eye of agamotto?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh yeah I just got a thought from the new trailer: the stones are destroyed in this universe and Steve brought the ones they used back their respective time pre-destruction AND Wong is the sorcerer supreme. So why the hell does Stephen still bother with the eye of agamotto?

It completes the outfit.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also given how into Silver Age Marvel Raimi is, I can see them revealing it has powers more like the comics version.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

JT Smiley posted:

It completes the outfit.

Speaking of which, the Hasbro prop replica looks pretty good on my shelf for just a whopping 50 bucks.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

site posted:

Sandman especially made no sense because 60 seconds earlier he's saying he doesn't wanna go do villain poo poo because he wants to get home to his daughter, then Norman turns goblin and he just decides, well i guess I'll go be a villain???

When he shows up later at the Statue of Liberty, he mainly focuses on trying to get the box to send himself home asap, and when the others initially turn, he doesn't do much more than make things sandy and leave. I'm guessing it was less "I'm a villain again." and more "Well, this is all hosed now, so I'm gonna bounce."

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sandman makes more sense when you figure he's not really even being a villain. He's a petty crook who got powers like a week ago. He's not going off with Norman to cause trouble, he says about 2 minutes before the poo poo hits the fan that he doesn't trust anyone, he's just panicking and taking off.

And I don't think it's necessarily "fix their powers and they'll be good", it's more "fix their powers and they aren't massivly dangerous threats. Even if Max is still evil after, so what? NBD

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

glitchwraith posted:

When he shows up later at the Statue of Liberty, he mainly focuses on trying to get the box to send himself home asap, and when the others initially turn, he doesn't do much more than make things sandy and leave. I'm guessing it was less "I'm a villain again." and more "Well, this is all hosed now, so I'm gonna bounce."

yeah okay good point

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Some of the villains do deserve being lumped in together though, as far as needing to be fixed. But I think the overall goal is to turn them back into regular people as much as possible so that they are less likely to be in whatever situation was supposed to lead to their deaths. Getting rid of their powers was not on the table until it was discovered they were fated to die once sent back.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Keaton's apparently in the Batgirl movie per a WB press release.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

JordanKai posted:

Yeah I really don't feel like the movie is saying what you concluded. The film isn't saying having super powers made every guy evil and thus taking them away would make them nice necessarily. Otto, Max, and Connors literally got their brains hosed with. For 3 of them it makes sense that undoing that process chemically would help them. Max, however, wasn't just suddenly back to being a dweeb. He was still the guy he became, just neutralized and gracious enough to accept defeat at that point. Maybe he turns over a new leaf. Maybe he doesn't and the Amazing verse still has an Electro. The point is that he's got the chance to make the choice. Marko didn't really turn against Peter. Once Norman freaked out, he just left. And then he showed back up for the box so he could go home.

I dunno, specifically gathering all the previous film villains who died and pitching them to a Spider-Man who is willing to save every life he can beyond reason makes a lot of sense to me. Only Otto straight up gets what I'd consider a redemption arc. The others just get a second chance. But eh, that's not gonna work for everybody I guess. Takes all sorts.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What was the stuff May injected into Goblin? I don't remember. Was it a failed attempt to de-Goblin Osborn?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lobok posted:

What was the stuff May injected into Goblin? I don't remember. Was it a failed attempt to de-Goblin Osborn?

Yeah but Norman himself was working on it. Probably it was just a big green placebo so he could continue pretending to be neutalized

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

One thing I was kind of expecting in the moment from NWH was someone calling the Lizard "Dr. Connors" and Maguire-Man having some sort of reaction to that, but I get why they didn't, because Connors was such a minor character in the Raimi films and played by a different actor, so it would probably have confused more than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Similar thing that Garfield as far as I remember never acknowledges that he also knows a Green Goblin. I guess one can assume most of those conversations happen off screen.