Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
oh and you do not require gsync, a freesync monitor will be able to do most of the variable refresh rate functionality (freesync is the AMD equivalent which is much more open and as such cheaper, gsync afaik still requires special nvidia hardware modules although i could be mistaken) because nVidia cards have had "freesync compatibility" for awhile. you get slightly more features with a gsync monitor on an nvidia GPU although i've never experienced them myself and would need someone else to elaborate, you do for sure get VRR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
"The one" these days is typically the Gigabyte M27Q, as it provides the best balance of performance, features, and price. The one downside is that it has BGR subpixels instead of RGB. This means two things - one, that you have to run the Cleartype calibrator, which is no big deal, and two, that anything that ignores the Cleartype settings and does its own subpixel text antialiasing is going to have some minor artifacting on text. In practice, Chrome UI elements do this, and probably some other things, but for the most part people don't seem to mind.

Whatever monitor you get, to properly utilize Freesync you're going to need to take a few steps :

Once the monitor is hooked up, right click desktop > Nvidia Control Panel. Set up G-SYNC > Enable Gsync (radio box is not super important, but may as well put it on for windowed unless you have issues). Then go down and check "Enable settings for the selected display model" for your Freesync display(s). Note that any time you disconnect the monitor or even when you update drivers, you're probably going to need to do this again.

Then go to manage 3d settings. Set Max Frame Rate to 4 FPS below the max refresh rate of your monitor, and Vertical Sync to On. This will keep your monitor always operating within VRR range, which will minimize latency, prevent tearing, and avoid potential flickering or other problems.

If you want to use the in-game frame limiter in a game for even lower latency, in the Program Settings tab of Manage 3D settings, set a profile for that game and turn the frame limiter off.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 21, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Vasler posted:

What's a good 1440p monitor these days? I'm *finally* getting a 3080 so I'm looking to upgrade from ye olde 1080p into something better.

I'd prefer GSync or whatever the technology is. I'm not sure I understand the difference between 180 Hz and 270 Hz.

What's good these days? I'm in Canada, so I'm not sure how/if that affects what's available.

I've seen upthread that people have spoken about the Acer Predator XB273U (270 Hz) or the LG 27GP850-B (180 Hz). Are these still the ones?

For most normal gamers, I do not recommend spending a lot of extra money on a super high refresh rate monitor. Even a 3080 will struggle to go beyond the 100s in most games, and there's only a slight difference in clarity between 180hz and 270hz. I say this as an owner of a 270hz monitor (the XB273U GX). Unless you plan on doing a lot of competitive FPS gaming, you're better off with something cheaper and slower. The 27GP850 is a good one. It's $400 at Amazon right now which is a decent price (its all-time low was during black friday/cyber monday where it was $375). 180Hz is a good refresh rate, its Nano IPS display is nice and vivid, and it has very fast response times for clear motion.

The go-to cheap option right now is the M27Q. It's $300 at amazon currently (it went for as low as $250 over black friday). It's a bit slower than the LG 27GP850, with somewhat worse response times that results in slightly reduced motion clarity, but it's not by enough to be a big deal for most people unless you are particularly picky about that kind of thing. It comes with a non-standard BGR subpixel layout as opposed to most other monitors' RGB subpixels. This will make it so some programs render text a little bit blurrier than usual, but it can be fixed for most programs by running the windows cleartype utility. Chrome is special and doesn't use cleartype, but I believe it's just UI text that's affected (and maybe some google apps like google sheets? not sure tbh). Overall though, it's a solid monitor for the price.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Vasler posted:

What's a good 1440p monitor these days? I'm *finally* getting a 3080 so I'm looking to upgrade from ye olde 1080p into something better.

I'd prefer GSync or whatever the technology is. I'm not sure I understand the difference between 180 Hz and 270 Hz.

What's good these days? I'm in Canada, so I'm not sure how/if that affects what's available.

I've seen upthread that people have spoken about the Acer Predator XB273U (270 Hz) or the LG 27GP850-B (180 Hz). Are these still the ones?

Think more along the lines of G-sync compatible these days. If you google around with the model of the monitor you'll find out very quickly whether it works with g-sync. Many untested monitors work fine with it.

I can't give specific recommendations but looks like you're checking out 27" 1440p screens - I think this is a great combo. I have the XB270HU (older) and it's fantastic.

I wouldn't worry too much about being over 144hz... it's how fast the monitor refreshes. I know myself I can't tell a difference between 100 and 144hz, but maybe at 180 and 270hz it's so much better that it's noticeable. I'd go to a store if you can to try to see for yourself.

I'll also note that gsync is really at it's most useful the LOWER your framerate is. If you get a 180hz monitor and you are keeping your framerate over 100hz I would argue that it's basically doing nothing for you. If I could do it again I wouldn't have spent more for g-sync since I run my games over 120hz at all times anyways and so I don't notice if there's some frame splitting or tearing. The frame would only be there for 0.007 seconds so it's imperceptible.

The historic wisdom is that the really really high refresh rates usually come at the cost of resolution (do NOT get a 1080p monitor) and are for first person shooter gamers.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Thanks everyone! I see the LG 27GP850-B got pretty positive reviews and it's $150 off on Amazon.ca right now!

To be clear, this is the one I want, right?

The explanations for G-sync, 180 Hz and 270 Hz make a lot of sense too. I can't see why I'd need 270 Hz. I'll see what I need in terms of G-sync when I get my new video card, I think. This monitor can do G-sync so it looks like I'll be set (if I understand this correctly).

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

I'll also note that gsync is really at it's most useful the LOWER your framerate is. If you get a 180hz monitor and you are keeping your framerate over 100hz I would argue that it's basically doing nothing for you. If I could do it again I wouldn't have spent more for g-sync since I run my games over 120hz at all times anyways and so I don't notice if there's some frame splitting or tearing. The frame would only be there for 0.007 seconds so it's imperceptible.

This really isn't true. VRR doesn't make a low framerate experience good, it still sucks, just less. VRR matters all the time, because it's the only way to have no tearing and low latency with consistent frame pacing. No matter what you do without VRR, you're giving up at least one frame pacing, latency, and no tearing. The only real exception would be that you could argue with a fast enough monitor frame pacing stops mattering because the refreshes come so fast, but I'm not sure buy that argument.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

K8.0 posted:

This really isn't true. VRR doesn't make a low framerate experience good, it still sucks, just less. VRR matters all the time, because it's the only way to have no tearing and low latency with consistent frame pacing. No matter what you do without VRR, you're giving up at least one frame pacing, latency, and no tearing. The only real exception would be that you could argue with a fast enough monitor frame pacing stops mattering because the refreshes come so fast, but I'm not sure buy that argument.

Yeah that's the argument I'm suggesting. I agree it's not a one size fits all but if this guy is going for super high frames it's hard to imagine it'll be noticeable.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It is true that once you get into super high refresh rates, frame pacing stops mattering because you're talking about differences of like 2ms per frame at a 480hz display, as opposed to, say, 8ms differences if you have bad frame pacing on a 120hz display. The frame pacing variance remains the same no matter what frame rate you run at, though. Whether you're at 40fps or 150fps on a 180hz display, the fluctuations are still plus or minus 5.55ms to your frame times, and the frequency of those fluctuations depends on how close you are to one of your refresh rate's divisors. I think that's significant enough for many people to notice, even at high frame rates. 270hz is a bit less noticeable (3.70ms). On some of the 480hz 1080p displays that are slated, you're talking about 2.08ms, and I don't know if that's different enough from normal VRR'ed frame pacing for even the pickiest of gamers to notice, but that's not where these monitors with refresh rates in the 100s are at.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 21, 2021

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Well I bought a second Dell monitor to go with my existing SE2717HR. Ended up with a S2721NX as it seemed to have similar specs on paper but the picture is markedly worse in terms of brightness and contrast, and there's a random flicker every few minutes too. Guess I'll be returning it. Anyone have any tips on how I can find something that's a closer match to the picture on my SE2717HR? Maybe another 27" display still sold with the same panel?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Vasler posted:

To be clear, this is the one I want, right?

Yes. If you want a save a little more, the 27GP83B is 430 at bestbuy.ca The only differences being it is 165hz vs 180hz for the 850, doesn't have blackframe insertion and doesn't have a usb hub on the back. Otherwise both monitors are otherwise identical.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 22, 2021

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yes. If you want a save a little more, the 27GP83B is 430 at bestbuy.ca The only differences being it is 165hz vs 180hz for the 850, doesn't have blackframe insertion and doesn't have a usb hub on the back. Otherwise both monitors are otherwise identical.

Thanks! I'm a bit confused about the 165 Hz and the 180 Hz for the 83 and the 850, respectively. The amazon link says the 850 is 165 Hz as well, or am I missing something and did I buy the wrong panel?

I was looking at displayport cables and some seem to say they're not suitable for 1440p at 165 Hz so I bought another cable...I hope that was smart. I'm on a 1080p monitor that is pretty old so I'm certain it predated whatever new technology exists.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Vasler posted:

Thanks! I'm a bit confused about the 165 Hz and the 180 Hz for the 83 and the 850, respectively. The amazon link says the 850 is 165 Hz as well, or am I missing something and did I buy the wrong panel?

I was looking at displayport cables and some seem to say they're not suitable for 1440p at 165 Hz so I bought another cable...I hope that was smart. I'm on a 1080p monitor that is pretty old so I'm certain it predated whatever new technology exists.

The 850 is 165hz stock but it "overclocks" to 180hz (it's just a simple setting you enable in the OSD). The 83B lacks this overclockability. In practical terms, the 27GP83B is going to be almost indistinguishable from the 27GP850. The one kinda nice thing about 180hz is that it will have smoother playback of 30/60fps video, but you can just set the refresh rate down to 120hz on the 27GP83B when watching video content if you really care about that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Vasler posted:

Well the good news is that monitors come with displayport cables :v:

Actually the LG came with both a display port cable and an hdmi cable, which was something I was not expecting.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

LG's first "IPS Black" display was announced today, a 4K professional monitor in their Ultrafine line, and the advertised contrast ratio is 2000:1. That's about what I expected, maybe a little better. It puts it around the lowest-contrast VA panels on the market while still being pretty far from the highest-contrast ones (5000:1 or better).

So LG will be releasing IPS panels with noticeably better blacks and hopefully less glow next year. Hopefully they'll serve as a better panel for miniLED backlights than all the other bloom-heavy IPS displays going that route (note: the newly announced monitor is just a regular single-zone display). Either way, it's nice to see that IPS isn't a total dead-end when it comes to contrast, and there is actually some room for improvement.

LG also announced some wackadoodle 27.6" 16:18 display. Seems like it could be good for programmers? Not sure what to make of it.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 22, 2021

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

My concern with that is that LG already makes IPS displays with much better contrast ratios than their gaming displays - typically 1200ish. It's just that none of their high performance gaming displays approach this contrast level. I'm not sure if there's something about making fast IPS displays, at least the way LG does it, that precludes good contrast, but I'm not expecting this development to necessarily result in 2000:1 gaming displays.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Got myself an LG UltraGear 34GN850 and it ticks all the boxes

Ultrawide
Ips
Gsync
160hz

But by far the biggest thing is I can just press the menu joystick to adjust brightness without having to go into the menu. Best 900€ ive ever spent.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

LG also announced some wackadoodle 27.6" 16:18 display. Seems like it could be good for programmers? Not sure what to make of it.

What if instead of super ultrawide, we made it super ultratall?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
finally

took em long enough

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

K8.0 posted:

"The one" these days is typically the Gigabyte M27Q, as it provides the best balance of performance, features, and price. The one downside is that it has BGR subpixels instead of RGB. This means two things - one, that you have to run the Cleartype calibrator, which is no big deal, and two, that anything that ignores the Cleartype settings and does its own subpixel text antialiasing is going to have some minor artifacting on text. In practice, Chrome UI elements do this, and probably some other things, but for the most part people don't seem to mind.

What is the recommendation these days if you want a standard RGB sub-pixel layout?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Paul MaudDib posted:

What is the recommendation these days if you want a standard RGB sub-pixel layout?

Just turn your M27Q upside down! (apparently this fucks with VRR and adds a bunch of latency)

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The 27GP850 is pretty good and there's one for $330 on Amazon Warehouse right now so I'd probably snap that right up and hope it's a good one. Can always return it if it isn't. The Dell S2721DGF is pretty close to the same monitor, as is the LG 27GP83B. There are other good options too but none of them seem to be in stock at good prices right now.

Also if you want to spend a ton of money and don't mind playing the QC lottery and don't mind the 1000R curve and don't mind VA horizontal contrast shifting, the Odyssey G7 is still all-around the best 1440p gaming monitor you can get, sort of. It costs way too much, though.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

Whitest Russian posted:

I tried putting "Monitor Technology" in the NVIDIA Control Panel to Fixed Refresh Rate and the problem still happens. The weird thing is that it only happens on my main monitor (Predator XB271HU) while my computer is at desktop like in the YouTube video or I'm browsing the internet. There is no flicker while I'm gaming.

It started happening ~a month ago after I reinstalled windows for something else. I've tried reinstalling drivers since then but it still keeps popping up. I might try the drivers from 3 patches ago or something. Trying different cables also does nothing.

I tried my my friends RX 580 and my flickers went away. I guess my 3080 is the problem. Unless it's some weird interaction between my monitor's G-Sync and my 3080. It probably isn't since the flickers happen while G-Sync is disabled.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The difference is that G-Sync is off on the RX 580. I'd point at the G-Sync module probably starting to fail, and only the normal DP mode still working right.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

K8.0 posted:

The difference is that G-Sync is off on the RX 580. I'd point at the G-Sync module probably starting to fail, and only the normal DP mode still working right.

Is that the case if my G-Sync is turned off?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I don't actually know if a G-Sync module monitor hooked up to a G-Sync capable GPU ever talks normal displayport. I don't know if anyone else does, either.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
I tried asking Acer support about it and was told that my only option is to send my monitor in for repair and that it would cost $350. I dunno what I expected honestly.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
HEADS UP: LG 32GP850-B just went on sale for $387: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093MFKDLP

Finally pulled the trigger.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Got my 27" 1440p 75hz Acer CB2 today and so far so good. No dead pixels, and the display in general is pretty similar-looking to my XF270HU that I love. Haven't seen how games run on it yet, but I'll try that out tonight (only have a 1060 6GB on this machine, so it's not like I'd be likely to push more than 75hz anyway).

Edit: There's really minimal backlight bleed at the top of the screen, but I have to put some effort in to see it. All in all I'm pretty pleased with it so far. My main machine has the faster monitor, but this will make a good secondary and work-from-home monitor. I was getting really sick of even nice 24" 1080p screens - just too drat small.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 23, 2021

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

What if instead of super ultrawide, we made it super ultratall?

Old 16:10 crew rise up!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I ran with a 16:10 monitor for 7 years before it died, which was a sad day indeed. I would be fully down if they brought that aspect ratio back.

In other display news today, Samsung announced yet another new HDR standard, "HDR10+ GAMING." I can't really tell what it does, to be honest. HDR10+ already gave game engines (and other content sources) control over backlight zones for more visuals more accurate to the content designers' intent. This adds control over the display's color modes or something? At the same time Samsung announced that, the HDMI forum announced a new HDMI 2.1a feature, Source-Based Tone Mapping, which sounds like a very similar thing, at least in so far that the idea is to automatically display accurate colors on users' displays regardless of whatever wacky monitor settings they have... I think? These news posts are kind of scant on the finer details. It seems like the HDMI spec will more be about automatically tone mapping based on reported color values from the display, while Samsung's HDR10+ may be more of a display-side thing? Hell man, I don't know. Do we really need competing standards for this? Does Samsung really expect many games to support their own proprietary poo poo?

The most interesting part about this is the confirmation (maybe this was already confirmed somewhere? dunno) that Samsung has new Neo QLED computer monitors coming in 2022. I was worried that they might switch entirely their new QD OLED tech. If they can release a 4K Neo G9-like 16:9 display without all the flaws their 2020/2021 QLED displays have had, then I might actually buy one. Waiting for a good, long-lasting, regularly-sized OLED monitor will take too long.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I picked up a new 16:10 not too long ago, the Asus ProArt PA248QV. It's 1920x1200 so if you're used to 1440p it's probably not great, but I'm super happy with it. That aspect ratio has always felt right for me, and most comic pages fit perfectly in portrait mode.

The Steam Deck has a 16:10 display too, so that's pretty cool.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Oh god a 16:18 display would be excellent for productivity work.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I ran with a 16:10 monitor for 7 years before it died, which was a sad day indeed. I would be fully down if they brought that aspect ratio back.

In other display news today, Samsung announced yet another new HDR standard, "HDR10+ GAMING." I can't really tell what it does, to be honest. HDR10+ already gave game engines (and other content sources) control over backlight zones for more visuals more accurate to the content designers' intent. This adds control over the display's color modes or something? At the same time Samsung announced that, the HDMI forum announced a new HDMI 2.1a feature, Source-Based Tone Mapping, which sounds like a very similar thing, at least in so far that the idea is to automatically display accurate colors on users' displays regardless of whatever wacky monitor settings they have... I think? These news posts are kind of scant on the finer details. It seems like the HDMI spec will more be about automatically tone mapping based on reported color values from the display, while Samsung's HDR10+ may be more of a display-side thing? Hell man, I don't know. Do we really need competing standards for this? Does Samsung really expect many games to support their own proprietary poo poo?

The most interesting part about this is the confirmation (maybe this was already confirmed somewhere? dunno) that Samsung has new Neo QLED computer monitors coming in 2022. I was worried that they might switch entirely their new QD OLED tech. If they can release a 4K Neo G9-like 16:9 display without all the flaws their 2020/2021 QLED displays have had, then I might actually buy one. Waiting for a good, long-lasting, regularly-sized OLED monitor will take too long.

You aren't suppose to define marketing bullshit. Don't you totally want "HDR10+ GAMING" of course you do and this monitor has it better buy it. Those monitors over there? They don't have it so don't buy those ones.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I was all about 16:10 up until I saw switched to 27" 1440p screens. I still wouldn't mind the extra vertical pixels but it doesn't feel necessary anymore since these screens are taller and with more vertical pixels than the replaced 24" panels.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The 4:3 screen on my surface laptop (I think it's 4:3?) Is incredible and I'd welcome it on my main monitors as a standard. Why are we all using cinematic aspect ratios on every monitor anyways...

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

The 4:3 screen on my surface laptop (I think it's 4:3?) Is incredible and I'd welcome it on my main monitors as a standard. Why are we all using cinematic aspect ratios on every monitor anyways...

My 27" 1440p monitors give me the screen equivalent of like three 8.5"x11" pages with vertical space to spare. And it works well for games or video without needing big black bars or anything.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm building a new PC for my cousin based around a 3060 I managed to snag yesterday. He'll need a monitor, so I'm thinking high refresh 1080p will be a better match than 1440p for a 3060. Quick browsing has led me to this MSI at Costco: https://www.costco.com/msi-optix-27%22-class-fhd-ips-gaming-monitor.product.100805677.html

Any better deals out there than $170 for a 27" 144hz 1080p IPS gsync?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm building a new PC for my cousin based around a 3060 I managed to snag yesterday. He'll need a monitor, so I'm thinking high refresh 1080p will be a better match than 1440p for a 3060. Quick browsing has led me to this MSI at Costco: https://www.costco.com/msi-optix-27%22-class-fhd-ips-gaming-monitor.product.100805677.html

I can't find any reviews for this specific model, but RTINGS reviewed a slightly slower model, and it seems like a good choice for a 27" 1080p gaming monitor. For an even higher-refresh-rate model, $170 seems like a great price.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I can't find any reviews for this specific model, but RTINGS reviewed a slightly slower model, and it seems like a good choice for a 27" 1080p gaming monitor. For an even higher-refresh-rate model, $170 seems like a great price.

Thanks, that's what it looked like to me too! Went ahead and had him order that since the sale ends today, I think he and his sons are gonna be amazed gaming at 120+ fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death On Toast
Aug 2, 2006
The better half of the Brothers Douche.

Enos Cabell posted:

I bought the G271 version of that as an external monitor to go with my 1070 MaxQ equipped laptop. It's solid for a budget 1080p 144hz display, but the stand is fairly low with no height adjustment, and also has very wide legs with an awkward balance point which makes it difficult to just put a stack of books under it. I wound up using a whole bunch of reams of printer paper to get the height where I wanted, but definitely a good candidate for a monitor arm.