Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

toadee posted:

Most people report CVs on sight for misbehavior in chat so that they have a chance at getting them chat banned since there isn't anything else you can do to a CV. You have plenty of game impact doing big damage to surface ships, the idea that the only game impact is harassing DDs is pretty exaggerated. If the opportunity presents itself to do so then fine (your skip bombers work very well against them - I haven't seen much of the T8 but Bison and Gaishu routinely nail DDs in Nahkimov for 18-24k per drop with skip bombs) - but killing bigger ships is plenty impactful.

I think the only way someone actually gets chat banned is when someone files a complaint via ticket. The in game reporting is a joke.

The Nahkimov is a dirty, dirty CV. It touches all the other boats :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I have unlocked nakhimov but am credit starved and not bought it yet, so I have played through the Pobeda.

The ship Pbeda reminds me most of is Saipan actually. Saipan in nearly all cases should be played with a pre-drop and then only 1 attack run, until late game when AA is less condensed and it can afford to lose a few planes. The torps for both are situational (nearly only useful against BBs and even then those that can't easily maneouvre), the rockets for both are usless against DDs but brutal against cruisers & BBs, and the bombers are generally good against everything.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Stanley Pain posted:

I think the only way someone actually gets chat banned is when someone files a complaint via ticket. The in game reporting is a joke.

The Nahkimov is a dirty, dirty CV. It touches all the other boats :q:

3 misbehavior in chat reports triggers the auto review so if the CV player says anything at all that falls into an auto ban filter (like poo poo or rear end or something), then they get chat banned.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I turned all chat off like the first day I ever played this game and never looked back, who care what randos are saying

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Cygni posted:

I turned all chat off like the first day I ever played this game and never looked back, who care what randos are saying

The main reason to have all chat on is so that you can see when enemy CV players use chat, it makes your reports twice as efficient.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I am sitting on 64k research points and I have no idea what ship to buy.

Consensus seems to be Ohio, but I own a Montana and I don’t really like the shell characteristics of Montana—I assume Ohio’s shells are just as slow and floaty.

Then there is the Slava, which seems to be people’s second choice… and I think a parking BB would probably be even less fun to play.

Then there are the two cruisers, both of which seem gimmicky and dumb.

Help.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 22, 2021

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Vampire II is probably the best RB ship if you don't want the BBs. Ohio's ballistics are almost the same as Montana, just with more pen and better accuracy. I would not dunk research points on Slava, because even though it gets like 100mm more pen than US 457s, it's still got 406es and you can't overmatch 30mm plating. The cruisers aren't very good.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

ZombieLenin posted:

I am sitting on 64k research points and I have no idea what ship to buy.

Consensus seems to be Ohio, but I own a Montana and I don’t really like the shell characteristics of Montana—I assume Ohio’s shells are just as slow and floaty.

Then there is the Slava, which seems to be people’s second choice… and I think a parking BB would probably be even less fun to play.

Then there are the two cruisers, both of which seem gimmicky and dumb.

Help.

Gibraltar is gimmicky and mediocre. Druid and Vampire are both solid dds but the Druid is probably less potent overall, but it’s arguable. Colbert has the highest DPM in the game but is squishy. Definitely a higher skill ceiling ship than Gibraltar.

Ohio sees competitive play because it’s basically Montana, but (mostly) better. Montana now has more hp from its heals though, so it’s slightly more of a wash. Slava is probably really good for randoms but doesn’t see competitive play.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
People forget that Slava's nose is 25 mm so in competitive play you can pretty safely farm it if you know how to protect your broadside.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

toadee posted:

3 misbehavior in chat reports triggers the auto review so if the CV player says anything at all that falls into an auto ban filter (like poo poo or rear end or something), then they get chat banned.

Are you 100% sure about that? Everything I've heard says the in game reporting does nothing at all especially considering that it's abused to such a degree as it is.

I usually just file a ticket on WGs website if I really want someone banned ;)

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Blindeye posted:

It's just surprising to me that as a fairly decent CV player in any other nation's tech tree, I can't seem to make the Soviet CVs click. Like you, I can make a skip bombers work well. On brain dead large targets the rockets are fine. But I think there is something about the single strike aspect that prevents me from doing a lot of the area denials to DDs that I find most useful to impact the game. Coupled with the fact that the battleship's are almost allergic to hitting w these days, I feel utterly anemic. I can either rack up enormous amounts of damage (if my team doesn't collapse immediately), and get a lot of reports but have no impact on the game, or I can spend a lot of time spotting and do absolutely zero damage and get a lot of reports.

I think I've gotten 25 reports over the last week just from playing CVs.

I've been trying to really make the Chkalov work, I've seen them rack up numbers, but I have a hard time getting them to really work. I tend to start off going after dds with skipbombers and dive bombers, then once ships spread out, go after BBs. But I seem to run into people who do things like turn to dodge torps, which is rude.
The Nakimov is a new level of bullshit though.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 22, 2021

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I am not biting because my stupid gamble container mean that I have 250 days of premium right now, but I am just noticing 1 year of premium time has been discounted by half when paying with dubs.

Probably comes out to $50 if you’re buying doubloons with US dollars. This isn’t exactly the best price I ever paid for a year of WoWs premium, but it’s better than full price.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Haven't played this game much in years and really know nothing about it, but aftering playing around with CVs for awhile I'll say that being able to just fly around the map spotting everything with no cost seems like a broken thing to me.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

BadLlama posted:

Haven't played this game much in years and really know nothing about it, but aftering playing around with CVs for awhile I'll say that being able to just fly around the map spotting everything with no cost seems like a broken thing to me.

Well you see its balanced because you can also do a shitload of damage to people.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

BadLlama posted:

I did a 3 man div once where I just played fighter build Enterprise and did 0 damage on purpose. All I did was grief the enemy CV with fighters and spot. We had a 75% win rate on the day. Granted, we are a pretty highly ranked clan and all good players, but CVs are stupid broken when you can just not do half of what they are great at doing and still swing the match so much.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

toadee posted:

I did a 3 man div once where I just played fighter build Enterprise and did 0 damage on purpose. All I did was grief the enemy CV with fighters and spot. We had a 75% win rate on the day. Granted, we are a pretty highly ranked clan and all good players, but CVs are stupid broken when you can just not do half of what they are great at doing and still swing the match so much.

Thats like the old Bogue air superiority thing. You couldn't do much to enemy ships, but you drat could make sure the enemy CV didn't have fun.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

CitizenKain posted:

but you drat could make sure the enemy CV didn't have fun.

The only ethical CV play,

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Got submarines and I've been playing around in them. Been reported in every game so far. Games good.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Bought the $75 christmas box special, I got 180 Days premium a T9, T8 and T5 premium ships and a bunch of flags. I guess that is good value? Could of used some Doubloons over some of these flags though.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
The Siegfried is fun and pretty unique, you could buy that with research points if none of the tier 10s are interesting.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

BadLlama posted:

Bought the $75 christmas box special, I got 180 Days premium a T9, T8 and T5 premium ships and a bunch of flags. I guess that is good value? Could of used some Doubloons over some of these flags though.

Depends which ships you got lol, some of those are gigantic turds.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I got a Congress and a Jean Bart then some t5 UK cruiser.

I'm bad at battleships and also don't really like them which sucks.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
JB is incredibly good at least, that's a lotto win big-time.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Hey, they’re doing the year for $50 but the discount is in dubs, so you have to buy the gold first!

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

It’s discounted for cash money too. https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/premium/sh_36/

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I've got about 14k balloons and a 25% off coupon. The only VIII ships I have are the Mainz and a Kaga B. What are some recommendations from the Armory worth considering?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
If you don’t have premium it’s on sale for 12k doubloons for a year. Otherwise Mainz is a solid tier 8. To give a more useful answer would require knowing what ships you like to play.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I like to play all types, but tend to do better with a little more survivability. I've spent most of my time in American battleships and destroyers.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Pioneer42 posted:

I like to play all types, but tend to do better with a little more survivability. I've spent most of my time in American battleships and destroyers.

Consider joining the Lenin party. Russian, so limited but rapid damage control, all three turrets forward with rapid traverse, 16” guns, and an easy indicator for if you’re not angled enough- if your rearmost turret can fire, you are in danger.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Preechr posted:

Consider joining the Lenin party. Russian, so limited but rapid damage control, all three turrets forward with rapid traverse, 16” guns, and an easy indicator for if you’re not angled enough- if your rearmost turret can fire, you are in danger.

Is Lenin still available?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Saul Kain posted:

Is Lenin still available?

Only through a gamble box drop I believe.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

poo poo, really? Shows how much I pay attention.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Lenin is unavailable and he said he has Mainz.

Since he has a CV and cruiser I would say go for a BB or DD. Cossack to me is the best available DD at T8 for Doubloons. BB wise I am thinking Borodino or Kii would be the best. Borodino is more distinct than Kii, which is just an Amagi with torps, better secondaries and AA I think.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
When you put it that way Kii sounds really fun.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

General Battuta posted:

When you put it that way Kii sounds really fun.

The Kii actually is a pretty fun ship.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

The Kii is fun enough and unusual enough that most players either forget or don’t realize it has torps, which can lead to some fun drive-by’s.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

kaesarsosei posted:

Lenin is unavailable and he said he has Mainz.

Since he has a CV and cruiser I would say go for a BB or DD. Cossack to me is the best available DD at T8 for Doubloons. BB wise I am thinking Borodino or Kii would be the best. Borodino is more distinct than Kii, which is just an Amagi with torps, better secondaries and AA I think.

Kii does seem like a nice all-a-rounder. Borodino seems like an interesting bow-tanker? Am I understanding that correctly?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Failed drive-bys are some of the funniest things. I had a Prinz Eugen miss me almost point blank with an entire torpedo broadside (I was in either a Pommern or a Richelieu). Much laughter in chat when they died.

Another time a Neptune tried to torp me while I was bow on to them in an Iowa. I evaded all the torps then blew them up with a cit once I finished reloading. They posted "Aww poo poo" in the chat.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
I have been reported 25(net) times grinding the Soviet CVs.

Lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Blindeye posted:

I have been reported 25(net) times grinding the Soviet CVs.

Lmao.

I reported you at least 7 of those.