Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Let me tell you how willingly being immersed in a thing that is 75% reading is extremely unlike that other thing that is willingly being immersed in a thing that is 99% reading. Furthermore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

itry posted:

Let me tell you how willingly being immersed in a thing that is 75% reading is extremely unlike that other thing that is willingly being immersed in a thing that is 99% reading. Furthermore

It is, if the engine makes reading painful.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Alexa, how do I find an optometrist near me?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the only mod I really use for bethesda games is better bodies for Morrowind because while the environmental graphics hold up pretty good for 2003 but the character models are some 1998 PlayStation 1 trash tier garbage

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

itry posted:

I think if you're the kind of person who enjoys disappearing into a good book, then you'd probably enjoy PS:T.

Obviously you'd also have to be somewhat into iso cRPG's.

Sounds like something somebody who's never read a good book would say

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Myst is a good series for someone who enjoys disappearing into a book

itry
Aug 23, 2019

fridge corn posted:

Sounds like something somebody who's never read a good book would say

In this context, a good book is a book that engrosses you.

Gaius Marius posted:

:nice:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gaius Marius posted:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

lol

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Gaius Marius posted:

lmao

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Myth > Myst

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Normality starring Corey Feldman > Fallout 4

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Pfft those barely even share the same letters, idiot :smuggo:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Hmm...

Myth > Myst > Tryst

Edit: Far-Out > Fallout (4)

itry fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 22, 2021

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

itry posted:

Hmm...

Myth > Myst > Tryst

wow. dyst.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
The Myst 2 walkthrough was like a small novel and it took about 45 minutes to load each screen on the commodore 64 so i would just study the walkthrough and pretend i was playing it.

Also never had any quarters so just pretended to play arcade games for hours.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
that sounds really sad

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Gaius Marius posted:

:vince:

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
If only Disco Elysium had punctuation like a Cormac McCarthy novel!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
We used to talk about death, she said. We don’t anymore. Why is that?
I don’t know.
It’s because it’s here. There’s nothing left to talk about.
I wouldn’t leave you.
I don’t care. It’s meaningless. You can think of me as a faithless slut if you like. I’ve taken a new lover. He can give me what you cannot.
Death is not a lover.
O yes he is.
Please don’t do this.
I’m sorry.
I can’t do it alone.'
gently caress does Cuno care?
(He doesn't care.)

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Im reading that book rn its no harry potter but its pretty good

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.

X JAKK posted:

The Myst 2 walkthrough was like a small novel and it took about 45 minutes to load each screen on the commodore 64 so i would just study the walkthrough and pretend i was playing it.

Also never had any quarters so just pretended to play arcade games for hours.

Loser

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

KonvexKonkav posted:

Terry Pratchett was such a terrible writer, putting all of Death's dialogue in small caps. Should've learned some proper typography in college.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Cracker King posted:

If only Disco Elysium had punctuation like a Cormac McCarthy novel!

I'd actually use his stuff as a perfect explanation of why the punctuation poo poo in DE is valid criticism. If your unconventional punctuation hinders the reader rather than being user to a point, it's bad punctuation and needs work. Just because he writes the opposite extreme doesn't suddenly mean that smothering your text in the stuff doesn't make it uncomfortably off feeling to read.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

Waltzing Along posted:

I never had a single game over.

Alternately, my first play through of Disco lasted 1 minute because turning on the light while hung over inflicted lethal damage lol. The writing was a fun gimmick which really overstayed its welcome

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Cormac McCarthy refuses to use quotation marks

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cormac McCarthy had prose that can support itself without punctuation. Most writers cannot write so well

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

FoolyCharged posted:

I'd actually use his stuff as a perfect explanation of why the punctuation poo poo in DE is valid criticism. If your unconventional punctuation hinders the reader rather than being user to a point, it's bad punctuation and needs work. Just because he writes the opposite extreme doesn't suddenly mean that smothering your text in the stuff doesn't make it uncomfortably off feeling to read.

I'm pretty ambivalent about DE's grammar, but in so far as a) capturing the cadence and phrasing of the character who's speaking in that screenshot and b) deliberately replicating the way people often write online it's 100% successful.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Gaius Marius posted:

Cormac McCarthy had prose that can support itself without punctuation. Most writers cannot write so well

Either it's worth pointing to as an indicator of quality or it isn't. Either Cormac McCarthy's work would be better with punctuation or it wouldn't. If anyone wants to talk poo poo on the writing itself with regards to characterization and whatnot that's cool, but it's laughable to go for punctuation before anything else without giving other work the same filter

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

nevermind bro I found it. Had it saved, appropriately, as "Disco Elysium sucks.png"

here it is in case anyone has been lucky enough to avoid it so far

This heaping pile of wordshit is praised as good writing lol

Love to use ellipses and put asterisks around words for emphasis just like other great works of fiction such as

:thunk:

and

:thunk:

This is funny you use that passage because it actually kind of owns. It's funny and interesting and it immediately causes you to understand the type of person they're talking about. It's good. Maybe you just didn't get it but that's no reason to get mad at the writers

e: oh poo poo I quoted this from for pages ago but people still discussing it lol nice

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I know that you were criticizing the obstructive grammar and atrocious flow of this ad lib but maybe you just didn't get it :smug:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

QuarkJets posted:

I know that you were criticizing the obstructive grammar and atrocious flow of this ad lib but maybe you just didn't get it :smug:

'atrocious flow', 'obstructive grammar'

Lmao. That's pretty funny, maybe you can figure out why.

The point is that segment reads easily, and quickly paints a pretty vivid picture of the person they are talking about. That's why it's good writing. It's funny that someone chose that to represent the 'bad' writing in the game when 1, it's not bad and 2, there's way worse writing in that game if you're really looking for it.

It's also funny because one of the only games that dares to attempt to write intelligently is dumped on, for its WRITING, because it's not the marvel style one liners and base simplicity of pretty much every other game. That's amusing to me. I think people just don't like to read actual prose in games and react aggressively when they do.

'Writing in games should be as dumb and straightforward as possible at all times, and no chances should be taken', apparently because otherwise it makes people feel stupid and frustrated for some reason and we get into situations like this

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

:blush: ill dry my tears upon your mother's bountiful bush

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Every single video game has bad writing, and every single book is well written, I know this because I am an intelligent well read book reader who has engaged in the entire canon of Brandon Sanderson. Sorry, I know a video game goblin like you wouldn't have heard of him, hell you guys porobably haven't even heard of books.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
i would rather enjoy my time reading a terrible schlocky generic fantasy book or 500 chapter serial web fiction thing on my kindle in a chair or in bed than read a 10/10 story in videogame textbox
it's even worse if a story-based videogame is based on voiced cutscenes instead of text because that means you can't even read at your own speed

video games are just a bad medium for stories.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

video games are just a bad medium for stories.

:glomp:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The choose your own adventure series is clearly the best of both worlds

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

The choose your own adventure series is clearly the best of both worlds

Too easy to cheat, it needs some DRM (Difficult Reading Mode)

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
there's a book called MEG. they made it into a Jason Statham movie. The cover of the book has a shark and a t-rex fighting in some water. There isn't a t-rex in the book, but there is a giant megalodon shark, and a submarine fires a nuclear torpedo into it's mouth while it tries to eat them.

The writing in it was better than the writing in 99% of videogames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Books have terrible graphics and gameplay, honestly even the best gameplay in any book doesn't match up to even the simplest video game.