Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

That's a nonsense way to handle shipping charges when they could just add in shipping/addons processing to their site and payment system that already exists. That's something creators have been asking for for years.

This is the big sticking point right here. People have been very clearly vocal about specific concrete steps Kickstarter could take to improve their service for creators. Kickstarter has ignored them. There's no reason to extend them the benefit of the doubt when they say "this thing we're doing will be good for creators" because they've ignored suggestions and requests for years, we're talking basic stuff like "can we get tools to moderate our own comments sections instead of having to go through KS support" and no dice, let alone integrating pledge management stuff rather than having to go through third-party services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

There was a cancelled mod for Skyrim which featured vaults of various Imperial treasures on one of the moons. One of these was a swimming pool sized vault of jizz from Reman, meant to allow them to reincarnate the old emperor/continue his bloodline. Michael Kirkbride actually had a hand in writing some of this poo poo, so it's one of his "maybe canon" things

i honestly can't tell if that's real or a joke, which is a testament to uh

the absurdity of kirkbride

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
It's canon to me, and that's what matters, to me.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
i mean in a way aren't we all canon to morrowind

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

No, because I killed Vivec and got a popup telling me that I wasn't.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Arivia posted:

i honestly can't tell if that's real or a joke, which is a testament to uh

the absurdity of kirkbride

honestly not enough fictional mythology talks about cum. odin drank cum. one of the egyptian gods ate a cum salad and died. in most mythology when someone important dies it's usually got something to do with his cum or they extract it from his corpse or whatever. cum comes up a lot in our ancient mythology, is all I'm saying, so "giant vats of cum" is the perfect balance between drunken shitpost and serious cultural belief and works really great in a video game

I specifically wrote this post so people can screenshot it out of context to discredit me.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I have no idea why you would tell me this, as it has nothing to do with what I said at all. I have, in fact, argued these exact points in the Xbox thread in the Games forum. The lore was, in fact, Generic'd up a lot for Oblivion, after having massive influences from Ralph McQuarrie, John Froud, Frank Herbert, Runequest, etc injected into TES Adventures: Redguard to make the world more unique to the point of removing previous mentions of jungles and the roman empire influences to make it look more like LOTR. Something of a whiplash effect, if you will.

I have no idea why you felt the need to 'correct' me on this either, because under no circumstances would a true TES lore buff read the phrase "Planetary Cum Vaults" and not know that I was ten layers deep in the lore iceberg making blood sacrifices in the MKult.

Also, Kel Rolston was the lead writer of Morrowind.

My apologies, I misread your original post and misinterpreted it as coming from the oft-repeated misconception that the lore established by Kirkbride and co. was the status quo pre-Morrowind. On more careful re-reading I see I was mistaken. Though I have not ruled out the possibility that the post I was originally replying to did in fact contain this misconception, but you have achieved CHIM at some point, allowing you to go back and retroactively change the events of your original post to make me look the fool, to which I can only say "well played".

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Speaking of, from the Babylonian Talmud:

quote:

He then went and raised Balaam by incantations [from Hell]… He then asked: “What is your punishment?” He replied: “To boil in hot semen.” (Gittin 57a)

Now that's a punishment !

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

KingKalamari posted:

My apologies, I misread your original post and misinterpreted it as coming from the oft-repeated misconception that the lore established by Kirkbride and co. was the status quo pre-Morrowind. On more careful re-reading I see I was mistaken. Though I have not ruled out the possibility that the post I was originally replying to did in fact contain this misconception, but you have achieved CHIM at some point, allowing you to go back and retroactively change the events of your original post to make me look the fool, to which I can only say "well played".

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

honestly not enough fictional mythology talks about cum. odin drank cum. one of the egyptian gods ate a cum salad and died. in most mythology when someone important dies it's usually got something to do with his cum or they extract it from his corpse or whatever. cum comes up a lot in our ancient mythology, is all I'm saying, so "giant vats of cum" is the perfect balance between drunken shitpost and serious cultural belief and works really great in a video game

I specifically wrote this post so people can screenshot it out of context to discredit me.

Nearly every human culture attributes some form of mystical properties to cum.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The crystal I wear around my neck contains an essence that gets recharged when I jack it with a bro who also has a crystal. It gives me confidence at work, home, social situations, etc.

Nobody knows it's a JO crystal but me and my bros. I have seen it glow white while jerking it with a bud thats how I know this is real.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

BaronVanAwesome posted:

The crystal I wear around my neck contains an essence that gets recharged when I jack it with a bro who also has a crystal. It gives me confidence at work, home, social situations, etc.

Nobody knows it's a JO crystal but me and my bros. I have seen it glow white while jerking it with a bud thats how I know this is real.
Come Nerevar

Come and look upon the Heart

Upon the Heart

Ooh

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Aleister Crowley himself posted:

The industrial use of semen will revolutionise human society.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Reman dynasty sperm will be the next bitcoin!

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
I'm not just saturating the world, Chriiiiiiisssss. I'm MILKING IT.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

odin drank cum.

For real?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i don't know that one specifically but i mean Loki gets mpreg by a horse, Odin being a generous lover is pretty tame by comparison

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Post/avatar combo.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Among other things, yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b12NUpmcfw8

quote:

On another occasion, Odin “sacrificed himself to himself” by hanging on the world-tree Yggdrasil for nine days and nights, receiving no form of nourishment from his companions. At the end of this ordeal, he perceived the runes, the magically-charged ancient Germanic alphabet that was held to contain many of the greatest secrets of existence. He is depicted as having subsequently boasted:

Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work

[...]

The other main form of Germanic shamanism is contained within the magical tradition known as seidr, of which Odin and Freya are the foremost divine practitioners. In traditional Germanic society, for a man to engage in seidr was effectively to forsake the male gender role, which brought considerable scorn upon any male who chose to take up this path. As the sagas show, this didn’t stop some men from practicing seidr anyway. However, even Odin wasn’t exempt from such charges of “unmanliness,” and was taunted for adopting the feminine traits and tasks that form part of the backbone of seidr. Saxo, in the passage on Odin’s exile alluded to above, relates that “by his stage-tricks and his assumption of a woman’s work he had brought the foulest scandal on the name of the gods.”[16] Note also the reference to being “fertilized” in the verse quoted above – while this is certainly a metaphor, it’s a metaphor loaded with sexual implications that would have been immediately recognizable to any Viking Age or medieval reader or hearer of the poem. A fuller discussion of the relationship between Germanic shamanism and gender roles can be found here. For our present purposes, it’s sufficient to point out that, in the eyes of the pre-Christian northern Europeans, Odin’s practice of seidr made him a rather “unmanly” being incapable of fulfilling the expectations placed upon an honorable man.

But we’ve already noted Odin’s scant concern for honor. He isn’t one to refuse any ecstatic practice, even those that bring him ill repute.

quote:

Like other northern Eurasian shamans, the völva was “set apart” from her wider society, both in a positive and a negative sense – she was simultaneously exalted, sought-after, feared, and, in some instances, reviled.[11] However, the völva is very reminiscent of the veleda, a seeress or prophetess who held a more clearly-defined and highly respected position amongst the Germanic tribes of the first several centuries CE.[12] In either of these roles, the woman practitioner of these arts held a more or less dignified role among her people, even as the degree of her dignity varied considerably over time.

Such was not usually the case for male practitioners of seidr. According to traditional Germanic gender constructs, it was extremely shameful and dishonorable for a man to adopt a female social or sexual role. A man who practiced seidr could expect to be labeled argr (Old Norse for “unmanly;” the noun form is ergi) by his peers – one of the gravest insults that could be hurled at a Germanic man.[13] While there were probably several reasons for seidr being considered to fall under the category of ergi, the greatest seems to have been the centrality of weaving, the paragon of the traditional female economic sphere, in seidr.[14] Still, this didn’t stop numerous men from engaging in seidr, sometimes even as a profession. A few such men have had their deeds recorded in the sagas. The foremost among such seiðmenn was none other than Odin himself – and not even he escaped the charge of being argr.[15][16] We can detect a high degree of ambivalence seething beneath the surface of this taunt; unmanly as seidr may have been seen as being, it was undeniably a source of incredible power – perhaps the greatest power in the cosmos, given that it could change the course of destiny itself. Perhaps the sacrifice of social prestige for these abilities wasn’t too bad of a bargain. After all, such men could look to the very ruler of Asgard as an example and a patron.

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 22, 2021

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Context: In March, there will be a playtest for the new Marvel RPG, which you can buy in physical form for $10, but has no announced digital form.

Minor note that I find funny: Marvel being Marvel, will be releasing the RPG with two variant covers, so you can have the privilege of paying to playtest the game thrice

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work

I've got a translation of this passage from Jackson Crawford (the guy in the Youtube video), and he translates it as

quote:

I began to be fruitful,
I became wise,
I grew, and I thrived.
One word chased another word . . .

I've also done some amateur study of modern Swedish, and it seems to have the same multiple connotations of "fruitful" as English: to be productive or to have children.

The passages immediately before and after aren't particularly sexual in nature (although other passages certainly are), so I'd read it in the "productive" manner of things. This may be a case of the original Old Norse having multiple interpretations and/or interpretation losing the original sense over the centuries.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

Context: In March, there will be a playtest for the new Marvel RPG, which you can buy in physical form for $10, but has no announced digital form.

Minor note that I find funny: Marvel being Marvel, will be releasing the RPG with two variant covers, so you can have the privilege of paying to playtest the game thrice

paizo sold a leatherbound collector's edition of their pathfinder 2e playtest rules

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Arivia posted:

paizo sold a leatherbound collector's edition of their pathfinder 2e playtest rules

Yeah, that I totally get. But I find "we slapped a different .jpeg on the cover" to be a very comic-book kind of thing to do.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I can understand it for final rules, DCC does variant covers for their books, but vairant/prestige books for playtests sounds like brain worms to me.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

There's also the additional historical context of the speculative comics market of the early-to-mid-90s, the collapse of which led to The Great Comics Crash which almost tanked the North American comic book industry as a whole. A prominent behavior that publishers like marvel and DC did at the time to try and cash in on the influx of speculators and collectors was to go loving hog-wild with variant covers for new issues, with the rationale being that it would spur additional sales because now collectors would have to buy multiple variants of the same issue as a speculative investment. This ended up majorly biting them in the rear end because speculative investors are a not a stable, long-term market to chase, and when that bubble burst they were left with warehouses full of unsold variant issues.

See also this Calvin and Hobbes strip:

So Marvel, specifically, coming out with variant covers for am RPG before its fully released just seems like a terrible idea and sign they haven't learned from their own history.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Bucnasti posted:

I can understand it for final rules, DCC does variant covers for their books, but vairant/prestige books for playtests sounds like brain worms to me.

I don’t even understand paying to play-test.

That’s a job.

I’ve run and been in play-tests, I get that appeal, but it’s fundamentally (enjoyable) volunteer work.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bucnasti posted:

Pathfinder sold playtest versions of its 2E rulebook through major retail channels (Barnes & Noble, etc.) and even had a deluxe cloth-bound hardcover edition.

For the playtest rules.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Official Dark Souls RPG incoming.

https://twitter.com/SteamforgedLtd/status/1473684757661638656

I was under the impression that there already was an official Dark Souls RPG in Japanese, so I don't know if this is entirely new or if it's a translation job.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

potatocubed posted:

I was under the impression that there already was an official Dark Souls RPG in Japanese, so I don't know if this is entirely new or if it's a translation job.

I am immediately suspicious of this RPG both because I think it would be very difficult to mechanically translate a lot of things that make Dark Souls work as a video game into the tabletop RPG medium and because of that surge we got over the last decade where comparing a game to Dark Souls regardless of any actual connection was a big thing in game marketing.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

potatocubed posted:

It's by the same company that made the garbage Dark Souls boardgame and whose RPG business is nothing but miniatures for D&D 5e so you just know it's going to be great. :thumbsup:

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

PharmerBoy posted:

I've got a translation of this passage from Jackson Crawford (the guy in the Youtube video), and he translates it as

The original is something like:

quote:

Þá namk frævask
ok fróðr vesa
ok vaxa ok vęl hafask;
orð mér af orði
orðs lęitaði
verk mér af verki verks (lęitaði)

The word “frævask” is somewhat difficult. It’s etymologically related to “seed” and it seems like the most straightforward translation (ref. this explanation) is that it means to become or make oneself fruitful. Which could perhaps be read as becoming fertilized but can just as well be to become fertile.

The explicit Odin Cum-Guzzler angle comes from Jeanine E. Talley, who managed to translate “frævask” in Runes, Mandrakes, and Gallows as a noun (despite this being obviously wrong, it’s a verb) she interprets as human ejaculate for no particularly good reason.

If you want a cum-god, go look at Sumerian mythology. Enki is the god of water and goes around telling everyone how huge his dick is, while his semen is the water that fertilizes the earth and causes regular flooding. At one point he has sex with his daughter/granddaughter, which makes his wife so angry she pulls the semen out of her womb and casts it onto the ground, where it grows into plants that Enki then eats, causing him a terrible sickness.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

KingKalamari posted:

I am immediately suspicious of this RPG both because I think it would be very difficult to mechanically translate a lot of things that make Dark Souls work as a video game into the tabletop RPG medium and because of that surge we got over the last decade where comparing a game to Dark Souls regardless of any actual connection was a big thing in game marketing.

yea Dark Souls is great but mechanically translated to a tabletop game I don't see how this won't just be an 'old school love letter' type game with a thin paintjob of 'your PYROMANCER got killed by a FORLORN SOUL'S crit!!!! Dark Souls!'

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

potatocubed posted:

Steamforged, so my vote is on low-effort 5e reskin :(

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
It is so weird to see someone I went to grad school with appear randomly in forums posts.

I have no input on the discussion, in part because I did modern theatre, but it’s cool to see that Jackson is getting wider attention.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

KingKalamari posted:

So Marvel, specifically, coming out with variant covers for am RPG before its fully released just seems like a terrible idea and sign they haven't learned from their own history.

Sweetie, not only have Marvel and DC never stopped doing that, they've been tripling down on it in recent years as a way to claw back some gain from print comics as they rapidly die out. There's even been a few holographic covers again!!

potatocubed posted:

I feel contractually obligated to reply to this to sustain my posting identity and... I loving can't imagine what it would provide that huge swathes of "gritty" fantasy ttrpgs haven't tossed around for decades. A dark fantasy game where you respawn when you die would I guess be a bit different from every dark fantasy ttrpg where you just die when a poop-coated stick stabs you? But Dark Souls' setting is what sets it apart and so much of it is deliberately opaque and vague in a way that's antithetical to a tabletop RPG lore bible.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nuns with Guns posted:

I feel contractually obligated to reply to this to sustain my posting identity and... I loving can't imagine what it would provide that huge swathes of "gritty" fantasy ttrpgs haven't tossed around for decades. A dark fantasy game where you respawn when you die would I guess be a bit different from every dark fantasy ttrpg where you just die when a poop-coated stick stabs you? But Dark Souls' setting is what sets it apart and so much of it is deliberately opaque and vague in a way that's antithetical to a tabletop RPG lore bible.

I agree that there's a lot about The Dark Souls Experience both gameplaywise and storywise that does not translate well to the usual TRPG experience, which is why I expect it to basically be a thematic reskin. I admit I'm not even really sure what a Dark Souls RPG campaign even looks like...the games all feature you as a single mute blank slate just wandering around and piecing together fragmentary lore while fighting monsters, which is simultaneously so barebones I'm not sure what you hang an entire TRPG off of and so generic as a concept you could do it with hundreds of existing RPGs.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
A really tightly designed tactical RPG with high but fair difficulty and abilities you lose on death (maybe on cards?) would be super rad but difficult to pull off and I would be truly shocked if anything like that was released.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Xiahou Dun posted:

I don’t even understand paying to play-test.

That’s a job.

I’ve run and been in play-tests, I get that appeal, but it’s fundamentally (enjoyable) volunteer work.

You aren’t paying to play-test, you’re paying to have the materials sent to you. (But, having paid for to get them, many people will then value them more highly and be more likely to follow through and use them than if the rules had been provided for free.)

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Subjunctive posted:

You aren’t paying to play-test, you’re paying to have the materials sent to you. (But, having paid for to get them, many people will then value them more highly and be more likely to follow through and use them than if the rules had been provided for free.)

We're not talking about paying shipping and handling for custom dice or ability templates needed to play a game. This is about paying a premium for chase variant covers and special edition rulebooks -which supposedly haven't been finalized.
It's bullshit preying on brand loyalty and how often nerds have no impulse control and want something now or seek to speculate off their hobbies.
I actually am not sure which is worse when this is done as a fake playtest to build hype (like pf 1e) or if it's expecting customers to pay to do labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
90% of entertainment would be in a poor place indeed if they couldn't milk brand loyalty for all it's worth.