Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

jaegerx posted:

I vote myself for IK

Give Jaeger 24 hours of IK powers just to see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Internet Explorer posted:

It's mostly a pretty chill forum. We'll go weeks without any reports.

We need to step up our game then?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

skipdogg posted:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's mostly a pretty chill forum. We'll go weeks without any reports. Although I did just have to give a 3 day for someone saying they hope someone gets gunned down in the streets over graphics cards in the GPU thread.

It was always the loving GPU thread when I modded this place. Always. Lolllll.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

skipdogg posted:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I promise you all that if anyone posts that they made changes to any of their configurations during the holidays and then complain about I will immediately give them a 6er as your new IK

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

skipdogg posted:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

jaegerx posted:

I promise you all that if anyone posts that they made changes to any of their configurations during the holidays and then complain about I will immediately give them a 6er as your new IK

I spent this morning analyzing pcaps and my night developing COVID symptoms. You can’t ruin my holidays with arbitrary 6ers when they are already crashing and burning!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

drat this thread gets jiggy over the holidays, I'm lovin it

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
The only productive thing I did today was taking packages to the post office. My work laptop is unplugged and tucked away until 2022 is at least 72 hours old.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

wargames posted:

End of year bonus! its 168.08 usd, "be glad you even get a bonus" -director of IT making 6x what i make.

that goes in the "reasons to not two week notice" pile. I can feel the smug from here.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I just realized I was planning to do a rather large deployment into an existing customer production system this morning and then go away for five days....

I think that is a bad idea

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AWS having issues again

Does anyone have to use Gather.Town instead of Zoom to do developer meetings?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

unbutthurtable posted:

The real answer is a receipt for a $500 monitor or chair, which you print to pdf and submit for reimbursement after cancelling the order

Hell yeah, I was talking with a friend the other day who wasn't sure what to do about leftover FSA money (use it or lose it by end of year) and I was like, give everyone first aid kits for xmas, plus could even be a funny white elephant gift when it's wrapped cuz people think it's a box of chocolates/candy

Then of course I mention the obvious idea like you did: get a receipt, cancel the order, submit the claim

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I think I paid like 1300 for it. Actually bought two, one for the wife.

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-38gn950-b-gaming-monitor

I recently bought a 31,5" monitor for gaming and to be honest, I could have done with 27" instead.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Well I'm glad it's quiet (read: completely dead) at work and I'm remote anyway, because this booster has wiped me out

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

incoherent posted:

that goes in the "reasons to not two week notice" pile. I can feel the smug from here.

I have been looking for a very long while, and not too many hit locally.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

wargames posted:

I have been looking for a very long while, and not too many hit locally.

Why limit to a local search in this remote world of ours?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not IT work, but working in toxic environments related: my wife was working part time at two universities after graduation, and has been trying to get one of the two to take her on full time for the upcoming semester. One job came in early with an okay offer, other job was dithering about how there's no money and won't be making an offer. She accepted the first offer and put in her notice at the second job, problem solved, right?

But at about three weeks before the semester starts, job two suddenly comes up with a dramatically superior offer. It would be idiotic not to take it, and this is where the insane begins. When she informed job one she'd be quitting her manager went absolutely bonkers.. yelling on the phone to the point of tears, accusations of ruining the whole holiday season, multipage messages about how manipulative and scheming she'd been over this whole process.

So consider that bridge burned, but dang my wife dodged a bullet. I've had some lovely bosses in my own career but the amount of hate being flung is new to me and insanely unprofessional. Lesson learned? If you do do the two week notice thing, send it with a formal letter and that's it.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

xzzy posted:

Not IT work, but working in toxic environments related: my wife was working part time at two universities after graduation, and has been trying to get one of the two to take her on full time for the upcoming semester. One job came in early with an okay offer, other job was dithering about how there's no money and won't be making an offer. She accepted the first offer and put in her notice at the second job, problem solved, right?

But at about three weeks before the semester starts, job two suddenly comes up with a dramatically superior offer. It would be idiotic not to take it, and this is where the insane begins. When she informed job one she'd be quitting her manager went absolutely bonkers.. yelling on the phone to the point of tears, accusations of ruining the whole holiday season, multipage messages about how manipulative and scheming she'd been over this whole process.

So consider that bridge burned, but dang my wife dodged a bullet. I've had some lovely bosses in my own career but the amount of hate being flung is new to me and insanely unprofessional. Lesson learned? If you do do the two week notice thing, send it with a formal letter and that's it.

Love your take, total bullet dodged. Sounds like a toxic environment. Now that I manage a (small) team I have to be prepared for people to give notice, that is my responsibility. If they give notice I’m not going to hold it against the employee, that’s dumb.

At first I thought the bridge was burned because she accepted and then reneged, but that’s not even what happened and even that shouldn’t cause an unprofessional outburst.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
So why the gently caress didn't anyone tell me that RDCMan was back?
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/rdcman

Proteus Jones posted:

A Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 + studio mic with a pop filter so you're crystal clear on conference calls.

"I'm in this photo and I don't like it."
Scarlett 4i4 though. Honestly it's just nice having a separate physical interface to turn your mike on/off and switch between speakers and headphones.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
What's the current recommendation for quick and easy Windows drive cloning. Need to replace the boot drive in my boss's PC. He has an Alienware beast with 128 gigs of RAM.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My wife’s previous manager once talked about it’s good she didn’t own a gun because if she were to kill herself she’d do it at her ex husband’s brewery or the president of the orgs office. Nothing happened to her! She eventually left because she was going to get fired soonish anyway but what the gently caress just telling your subordinates that.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Dick Trauma posted:

What's the current recommendation for quick and easy Windows drive cloning. Need to replace the boot drive in my boss's PC. He has an Alienware beast with 128 gigs of RAM.

I stick to Clonezilla these days.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

George H.W. oval office posted:

My wife’s previous manager once talked about it’s good she didn’t own a gun because if she were to kill herself she’d do it at her ex husband’s brewery or the president of the orgs office. Nothing happened to her! She eventually left because she was going to get fired soonish anyway but what the gently caress just telling your subordinates that.

Holy poo poo... :stare:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So why the gently caress didn't anyone tell me that RDCMan was back?
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/rdcman

I did see the systernal team (probably the only real homies in microsoft these days) take over the code but this is a pleasant surprise! I can finally uninstall this insecure version!

e: also no installer & can live forever in my onedrive. loving yes.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 22, 2021

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dick Trauma posted:

What SSD are you buying? The WD ones come with some Acronis software that works well enough.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dick Trauma posted:

I have been using Macrium Reflect

Sign me up for "boss has a dumb gaming PC" club

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I have been using Macrium Reflect

Sign me up for "boss has a dumb gaming PC" club

:yossame: vouching for Macrium Reflect

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Anyone know anything about associate positions at AWS? I applied to a bunch of positions through Amazon Student's job portal and a recruiter reached out to me. Haven't heard or read much about anyone who's worked at AWS in one of these entry level jobs so I know nothing about them. I'd assume at the very least it'd be worth it for experience in AWS which is exactly what I'm after right now.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

cage-free egghead posted:

Anyone know anything about associate positions at AWS? I applied to a bunch of positions through Amazon Student's job portal and a recruiter reached out to me. Haven't heard or read much about anyone who's worked at AWS in one of these entry level jobs so I know nothing about them. I'd assume at the very least it'd be worth it for experience in AWS which is exactly what I'm after right now.

This is from the AWS thread but I'd look into TechU if I were coming in without experience:

Arzakon posted:

For those of you looking to switch career paths into tech my group hires using Tech U for entry level talent, usually new grads or people with professional careers who are looking to switch into tech and have some fundamentals (can talk one of software development, compute, storage, databases at a 200-300 level). If you've built literally anything you are better than about half of candidates, if you get your SA Associate certification that is another leg up. If anyone is interested in more details shoot me a PM, I don't see our reqs listed but we are looking for Seattle and Austin, maybe New York at the moment.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

We have an AWS thread?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Happiness Commando posted:

We have an AWS thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791735

Yes, but the uptime is poo poo lately.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

And support looked at our S3 objects earlier today

(Thanks!)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My wife's family has had lovely internet for the 13 years we've known each other. I was just able to get the ISP to fix it after way too many attempts. It's like the dawn of a new age. I could cry. Goodbye 30% packetloss, unlike all the packets you've dropped over the years, you will not be missed.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Okay, I’m tapping out. I quit. Holy poo poo these last ten days.

Holiday break my rear end.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

cage-free egghead posted:

Do it. I bet that would be awesome experience for you, ethics of working for Amazon aside.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Agrikk posted:

Goon speed

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Agrikk posted:

The customer I work with had major movement within their teams over the last year that was prompted by folks having to work Christmas day and beyond due to issues. A couple of people straight up decided it wasn't worth it, especially given that with Covid, people are not seeing loved ones that often and maybe only for holidays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm just sitting here on a 6 hour gitlab outage and gitlab support is scratching their head. Couldn't have happened at a better time really