Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Clark Nova posted:

immediately disabling someone's cell phone line (and presumably making them lose their personal phone number) is some revenge fantasy poo poo that you shouldn't actually do no matter what

I know this from experience because my ex's dad had me take him to court one day (for some reason) and on the drive back he disabled his girlfriend's/wife's/mistress'/baby mother's (I have no idea what that relationship was) phone and told me to speed through everything to get home because he knew she would flip her poo poo and drive to the house, which she did! Untreated mental illness relationships are something else, especially when you're experiencing them secondhand

I felt horrible for the kids in that scenario. The worst part is I remember is them begging us to take them with us as we left because they knew what was going to happen in that house as soon as their mom barged in. :smith:

here's some content to maybe lighten them mood?

AITA I told my wife that I'm disappointed in her immature behaviour

quote:

My wife is 32 weeks pregnant. She's had a rough pregnancy and I've been trying to accommodate her to the best of my abilities.

My office has a no phone policy but I explained my wife's poor condition to my team leader and convinced him to let me pick up just my wife's calls.

Today, my wife called me while I was at work and said that she's gone into labour and she needs me to come home and take her to the hospital. I rushed home only to find her laughing at me and saying that it's a tiktok prank. She apparently wanted to check if I actually prioritized her above everything else.

I was livid because it was a very important meeting that I missed at work. I'd literally been working months on that project and now someone else would've presented it to the client instead of me because the clients were international and today was the only date that they were free on.

I told my wife that she acted immaturely and I'm so disappointed in her. She started to cry and locked herself in the room and hasn't spoken a word since then.

AITA?

Seth Pecksniff fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I don't want to get into any debate about US police because that shits absolutely and irreparably hosed, but the UK at least has the Independent Police Complaints Commission so it's not like it's literally impossible to set up any kind of police oversight. Of course there's been some high profile cases of the IPCC loving up, but they do on occasion boot out the egregiously bad police and when it happens you don't have their whole department going out and rioting like you do in the US.

I dunno, I think there's a thread in DandD about this.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Did I miss the reveal that the woman's current boyfriend is her step sister's ex? I assumed that based on the context but I felt like she could have made a little effort to explain when and how they met and/or why he and step sis broke up. That's what I would do if I didn't want people asking why it's ok for her to do it but not her step sis. Also, how small is their loving town that everybody ends up dating each other?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
OP's stepsister is marrying OP's cheating ex-boyfriend. OP is now dating a guy that her stepsister has a crush on, who never reciprocated her affection.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
It's not the sister's ex, but a person they've known their whole lives that the sister has held a candle for her whole life

OP didn't start dating the guy until her sister was well into her relationship with her own ex, presumably because you'd think at that point they're over it, if they're with someone else

You don't really get to have your cake and eat it too....you can't marry one guy but be upset when the other doesn't stay single. And she absolutely has no room to be upset at OP dating someone she had a crush on but never even dated, given that she's marrying OP's ex.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

StrangersInTheNight posted:

yeh it's quite interesting to see bc if you know anything about trans folks, it's that we're big on respecting people's names and not just telling people to get stuffed and get used to another one. like, it's pretty important to trans folks to respect people's names. i'm not saying it could never happen (plenty of people misunderstand the heart of things, trans folks are as human as anyone else and can absolutely be assholes about poo poo), but uhhhhhhhhhhhh it definitely raises flags for me as fearmongering
I could see it happening with a literally 13 year old child which is why I don't find this particular post so bad, I just don't know any 13 year old girls who would have been so enchanted with their older sister's name that she wouldn't accept even a variation of the name but wanted that exact one. Allie, Nora, Nellie, Lenore...

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010

greazeball posted:

Did I miss the reveal that the woman's current boyfriend is her step sister's ex? I assumed that based on the context but I felt like she could have made a little effort to explain when and how they met and/or why he and step sis broke up. That's what I would do if I didn't want people asking why it's ok for her to do it but not her step sis. Also, how small is their loving town that everybody ends up dating each other?

Nah, OP made it clear that step sister had never dated OP's boyfriend. Everyone else is behaving like a lunatic.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The Bee posted:

AITA for telling this strange shirtless man to put a shirt on?

it's cool man we all feel inadequate sometimes

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

You don't really get to have your cake and eat it too....
Yeah, I know that. That's why you have to give me your cake. And watch me eat it, and tell me what a good person I am.

PetraCore posted:

Allie, Nora, Nellie, Lenore...
Raven?

Let's fuckin' go...

AITA for telling my oldest sister “why should I learn from you"

quote:

I recently paid off about 100k students debt and have started making decent money. But protecting my family is motivating me to earn more and more everyday. My sister A (f42) older than me recently left her lovely job and got a better one and is working on self improvement so I feel that she and I could really grow our family wealth and grow richer. She is a huge source of inspiration for me because it’s hard to change your mind in 40s and she left her fixed mindset behind and now is a huge believer in the growth mindset. It took me a couple of years to get her here with me. The problem is our oldest sister B(45) who has about $50k personal debt and isn’t doing anything to pay it off. And my sister or parents often have to lend her money due to her poor “business” decisions. I got her a writing job recently that would allow her to work from home and easy hours and good pay. But she kept complaining about the job being beneath her and eventually quit within 4 months. Now I took that job as a side gig for myself. So the three of us and our mom have a WhatsApp group where we stay connected. And me and sisterA often share motivational videos there to inspire each other. So today I shared a video on wealth creation in that group But sister B who is in serious debt started telling me how “real estate is easy way for wealth creation and all we need to do is sell and reinvest our parents assets.” I replied that “we lack financial education to make safe real estate moves and the three of us should take lessons in real estate and learn from successful realtors if we even want to EVER think of touching our parents properties”. And she started telling me that I should learn from her or not share such videos in their if I am not willing to “discuss”. I replied with “why should I learn from you? You’re not a successful realtor?”

My mom says that I was harsh. But my sister B is averse to learning, she isn’t very humble which is the main reason that she is in so much debt. But I want my eldest sister to shift from talker mentality to doer mentality. And I am willing to be an occasional rear end in a top hat if it makes her open to learning. My mom says that I shouldn’t say such things to my sister because she will get hurt.
GROWTH MINDSET

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
edit:dp

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
yeh that one isn't so unrealistic, just bc 13 yo's can be weird af, more just the general theme of it popping up a few times seems like it's becoming something memetically

EDIT: Also re: stepsister and ex and crush drama, lol at her husband-to-be standing there confused AF because his wife is getting romantically jealous about someone else as they head into nuptials lol

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

LookListen posted:

Is this like, the new anti-trans fearmongering angle? That a trans woman (because it's been a woman each time I've seen it lol) is going to steal your name, and everyone is going to just go with it? Because this is like the second or third time I've seen that kind of story in this thread lmao.

I guess it's heartening if this is the best they can manage for a 'look at how ridiculous and entitled trans women are!' story? Just seems weirdly specific and tame compared to the usual hypotheticals these people handwring or laugh about

IF they're talking about the story wherein white woman trying to use a Asian women's dead sister's name then yeah that trans woman is hosed up racist and evil and hiding behind their queerness to avoid the reality of wow lady. You wanna go by your best friends dead sister's name? A very culturally and racially specific, important name unique to a culture you don't belong to? You want your bff to call you by her dead sister's name and trigger her grief and trauma every time? hosed up.

Of course a trans person can use whatever name they want, but in this case she is genuinely racist and insensitive. There are many names to go by in the world. Hell she could even pick something similar. Hana? Go by Hannah. Hell I know a nonbinary dude who goes by 'Pops'.

If they mean some other story then idk, I have no comment.

Note I'm trans and Asian. I have every right to hate this lady for being racist and hiding behind her queerness to avoid having empathy for her Asian friend and for a deceased Asian woman. People's cultures are not for dressing up in. Our names are important.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Oh, yeah. That's the story I was thinking of.

I did have a young queer acquaintance who decided to rename himself Akuma. Of course he pronounced it Uh-KOO-muh like the Street Fighter villain.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I don't even think I heard that one! I've seen another on reddit not long ago, I'll see if I can find it. Wouldn't be surprised if some are true and some are creative writing exercises, like everything on reddit

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Grimdude posted:

Lmao

OP is an rear end in a top hat but I can't stop picturing this interaction and laughing.

Some guy chopping wood with no shirt on just jovially waving "Well met traveler!" As he stands there waiting for a reply. Then frowns when OP picks the wrong option in the Oblivion speechcraft mini game.

This dude sounds cool as hell and I’d love to hang out with him.

Probably makes me an easy mugging target.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

AITA I told my wife that I'm disappointed in her immature behaviour

That’s a divorcin’

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for not giving up my inheritance for my brother

quote:

I (20 m) got the largest share of inheritance from my grandparents trust who declared me their 'heir.' The rest of my family got some inheritance also, but mine is considerably larger than anyone else's. The money is basically untouchable for me until I become 22. As most of my family (parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc) have been living extremely luxuriously on my grandparents money and not really working, they are not happy with the way the estate has been distributed and are trying to make me sign over the money.

Here's where it get's complicated. I have a half brother (7 m) from my father's affair. Three years ago his mother died and he showed up on our doorstep. I can kind of get why my mother and her family hate him, but it's not his fault he's just an innocent kid. As an illegitimate child he's really bullied and looked down on by my stupid snobbish family. The only one who cares about him at all is me.

My parents have offered to sign over custody to me now in exchange for the inheritance. I refused because I figure I will be able to sue for custody once I have the inheritance (can hire good lawyers) and raising a kid is expensive, I need everything I can get for him.

My aunt says I am the rear end in a top hat because two more years of my brother living as a bastard child while I'm in college will destroy him, and I can save him if I just give up my inheritance.

"okay, how 'bout we sell your half brother to you"

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Foo Diddley posted:

Get it in writing and then use that to destroy them later.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

PetraCore posted:

Get it in writing and then use that to destroy them later.

I believe someone advised them in the comments and OP says the family is smart enough to avoid putting it explicitly in writing so far.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

AITA for telling my oldest sister “why should I learn from you"

GROWTH MINDSET

Sounds like that sister would benefit from a performance improvement plan.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The Bee posted:

OP is an rear end, he could have screamed "you have my sword, gimli"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
When an NPC gets on my nerves, I deal with the problem myself through stealth archery, instead of whining to the Internet like some milk-drinker.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
I have a feeling the phrase "TikTok prank" is going to start showing up on a lot of legal paperwork, if it hasn't already.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for putting extra salt in my SIL’s food?

quote:

Throaway account I (F34) have a SIL (F25), let’s call her H. She’s been together with my brother J (M32) for three years now. We were born in Europe but originally from the Middle-East. H is born and raised in Europe. Our religion and part of our culture is different from hers but we didn’t mind cause she’s a nice girl and we are open-minded. She really tries her best to please my brother in every way. She’s learning Arabic, asking about the culture, and lately she started looking up recipes from our country too. My brother is very happy with everything she does and if he’s happy than we are too. Last week they came to visit our whole family for lunch. Our family is pretty big with many cousins, kids, brothers, sisters, parents and grandparents. Most of them were there. H made a meal which is really popular in the country we’re originally from. Everyone was amazed by it. She left it in the kitchen with all of the other dishes for later. Well to be fair I’m cooking since I was 14 years old and I’m a pretty good cook too. I was interested how her food tasted so I tried it. It wasn’t bad but I thought maybe I could fix it up with a little salt and spices. When we served the food for lunch, everyone complimented H about the dish and how well she’s done it. Here is where I might be TA. I told front of everyone that I fixed the food up with some salt and spices. J got very angry and started to argue with me front of everyone. He told me there’s was nothing wrong with H’s meal and I shouldn’t be disrespectful. But I believe in constructive criticism and I was trying to help her learn. After they’ve gone and I saw H crying in the car. My family told me I was an AH and embarrassed our guest. I feel pretty bad. AITA?

Edit: okey, so I see everyone thinks I am TA but just to clear things up, I didn’t say it in a bad way. I told her “I tried it myself and for the first try it tasted really good but I thought it could use some salt and spices so I put some more if you don’t mind. Next time it’ll be even better.” And I didn’t want to steal the spotlight, I just wanted to be honest.

Edit 2: I apologised the next day and I told her it’s a misunderstanding but my brother can’t let this go.

Update: AITA for putting extra salt in my SIL’s food?

quote:

You can find the original post: here

Thank you for all your comments and all the criticism. Even tho it was hard to admit first but I really messed up. After my post I started to think things through and had a long conversation with my grandparents. Lot of trauma unfolded and I realised why I was being like this with my SIL. When I was around her age, I had a similar personality to her. Shy, kind to everyone, always smiling and being very positive. Then bad things happened and I started to change. I became this anxious, negative person who I am today. When she became part of the family, I realised how she was and then I thought she needs to toughen up. I saw my old self in her and thought if she will stay like this, she’ll get hurt. It was something in my subconscious, I didn’t even think how toxic I am actually being to her. I hurt her, hurt my brother and embarrassed my family. I wanted to fix things, apologise and make sure nothing like this happens again. So I invited her over for lunch. Thankfully she said yes. I looked up some recipes from her country and got to cooking. When she arrived the food was ready. She tasted it and jokingly said “it could use some salt and spices”. Oh my Lord, I deserved that haha. Then we had a conversation about our issues and cried. It was so wholesome. We promised each other we will cook something together every weekend. Then we went to my parents house and almost everyone was there who came to visit last time. I’ve apologised from the ones I’ve hurt and promised nothing like this will ever happen again. They forgave me. We had a good time after, lots of laughs, tea and food. Before they left, I pulled my brother to the side and gave him my phone with a confirmation email. I rented the most romantic place ever for him and my SIL to go and celebrate Christmas together. We will decorate the place with J in the next few days. And finally, I’ve decided to go to therapy and work on my issues. For the sake of myself and my family too. These few days were intense and this was a huge wake up call. One thing is for sure, I wouldn’t want to lose the ones I love the most. Thank you Reddit!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA Bought a used car, now the previous owner wants it back, I don't want to give it back.

quote:

So I bought a used car (I live a 7hr walk from anywhere and don't have a car, my usual transport is currently not running, some info to why I'm looking) from "John Doe." John Doe lost their job and couldn't afford bills so they decided to sell their car and I decided to buy it and pay full asking price because why not? They're struggling with bills and I can afford that, plus it was exactly what I was looking for.

After 4hrs of owning the vehicle, getting the papers in my name during that time, considering everything closes for the Holidays, I didn't want to wait. Anyway, John Doe messages me asking to talk when I'm free next, so I call them the second I get the chance (Max 5min after receiving the text), John Doe asks if I'll be willing to give the car back in exchange for what I paid because they got offered a job in the next town over, and now they have no car. I said no, I'm happy with the purchase (and again, it's legally in my name now).

Well John Doe decided they would call the cops, and report it stolen. As it stands I've yet to be contacted by the police, but I'm more or less wondering if I am TA because I didn't return the vehicle, despite their newfound job, I mean should I have just given it back, got my money and looked for something else?

Legally I'm in the clear and I have made sure of that but reddit AITA?

Edit: Police contacted me and said that John Doe has no leg to stand on legally, but disclosed that John Doe kept the spare key for the vehicle, and "will have it back by the end of tomorrow." I have moved and secured the vehicle in a location where it can't easily be taken. I don't really know what to do otherwise, knowing they have a spare key leads me not wanting to leave it unattended in public spaces. I really don't want to have to take legal action against them if they try to take it back. I ain't here to gently caress no ones life up drat.

Edit2: Police showed up to ask me more questions and found John Doe lurking about, Police took the Vehicle back to the station for my safety and to dissuade John Doe from coming back to my house. I'm definitely going to change the locks on the car the second I'm able to do so, no fuckin doubt about that.

Wonder how many times the car has been 'sold' and recovered with that extra key... Probably didn't expect it to be transfered so quickly.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hughlander posted:

AITA Bought a used car, now the previous owner wants it back, I don't want to give it back.

Wonder how many times the car has been 'sold' and recovered with that extra key... Probably didn't expect it to be transfered so quickly.

Yeah this raises big scammer vibes. Maybe an unsuccessful scammer who doesn't understand how vehicle ownership works, but deliberately keeping the second key and asking for the car back the very same day that it's sold? This is very shady.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

quote:

AITA for not wanting to teach my BF how to cook?

I (19F) grew up cooking for my family and can honestly make anything. My partner (21M) depends on his mother to cook for him or makes simple meals like box Mac n Cheese or frozen pizzas.

We rented an apartment together over the summer and he wanted me to teach him to cook. I tried really hard for a few weeks, but he would always walk away from food that was cooking or ask so many simple questions that I would end up doing it. One time I had to walk to the store to get more strawberries (Fred Meyers is the building right next to our apartment) and asked him to stir a berry compote so it doesn't burn. When I came back, he was on the couch watching sports not even noticing the completely burned compote. I gave up and just cooked the rest of the summer.

I am extremely busy and HATE having to cook every meal for myself and him. Whenever I go to the store to buy ingredients for the week he says he doesn't care what I get and then complains halfway through the week that he's hungry for ____.

Fast forward to now, he is pushing me to teach him to cook but I don't want too. It is an insane hassle for me. I expressed my annoyance and he compared me not teaching him to me not liking football. Cooking is a lifeskill, not a sport for enjoyance. We are both full-time students, but I also hold two jobs, just started a research project with my professor that will take up to 3 years to complete, and am the President and founder of a new club at our university. He does not have a job, just club soccer practice maybe 4ish hours a week.

I really want him to learn to cook so he can make at least a few meals a week but he refuses to teach himself by following a recipe and can't even make a comprehensive shopping list. I know that if I keep trying, he MIGHT get better but it is so much time from me. He also says he looks up to me. Maybe it will be different this time?

AITA?

Congrats, you've officially become his second mother!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The Bee posted:

Absolute king. gently caress this dweeb op

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for letting an iPad destroy Christmas?

quote:

I’m staying at my grandma’s for Christmas with my fiancé.

My fiance (Jane 32) had a work iPad she was using while out of town.

The iPad went missing. The iPad belongs to the company and not my girlfriend’s personal property.

She looked everywhere for it, and I had a sick suspicion that one of my cousins, Mark, (40’s) took it.

Mark has a nasty habit of taking things that aren’t his, and my family protects him because “he’s mentally ill”

My girlfriend calls her IT department, and they track the iPad down and report it stolen.

The iPad ends up at a pawn shop the next day, and Mark now has a warrant for stolen property. Because it was an iPad Pro and worth over a thousand dollars, it’s a felony. It’s wasn’t my girlfriend’s property, so it’s not like she could drop the charges.

She’s also extremely embarrassed and pissed. She’s not going to ask her work to.
She got into an argument with my grandma and several others in my family, and now my girlfriend is pissed at me for not warning her about Mark.

My grandma is pissed because Mark is a repeat offender and has done little stints in jail but now is facing real prison time.

It’s put an issue on my relationship and with my family. I can’t help Mark, my fiancé refuses, and I think she will dump me over this because she said my whole family will hate her now, and she hasn’t done anything wrong.

She was crying as she packed her stuff and said the relationship was over. I’m pissed at my family, and now I have to stay with my best friend when I get home because my fiancé and I live together.

Jane is hurt that my family treated her as the bad guy. I yelled at my grandma and everyone about the situation, but they all backed Mark up. Saying my girlfriend was irresponsible for leaving an iPad lying on the kitchen table.

So now I’m leaving tomorrow morning and going back home because of Mark. I might be down a fiancé and family over a stupid iPad. I don’t know how I am the rear end in a top hat, but everyone is now mad at me by proxy.

Dr. Derek
Jan 1, 2010

Faster than a dead horse falling through orbit

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah this raises big scammer vibes. Maybe an unsuccessful scammer who doesn't understand how vehicle ownership works, but deliberately keeping the second key and asking for the car back the very same day that it's sold? This is very shady.

I legitimately had a former boss of mine try to pull an ownership-type scam on me after they sold me a car. They sold me a car under an agreement that I would pay them X amount per month for a period of time and at the end, they tried to claim that the car had a title loan on it the entire time and that I would need to pay it off before they could transfer ownership to me. There were a few problems though.

1. I was the one who wrote up the initial contract (which they retyped and removed parts of it that were in their favor without thinking)
2. They gave me the loan paperwork which showed that they took out the loan after the sale of the car started.

I pointed both of these things out and the guy immediately said "Oh poo poo." They eventually gave me the title lien free after they were forced to pay off the title loan themselves.
All in all, I paid about 1500$ for a car worth about 5k at the time because they were too lazy to write their own contract.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

BOOTY-ADE posted:

quote:

AITA for not wanting to teach my BF how to cook?
Congrats, you've officially become his second mother!

gently caress this weaponized incompetence guy. If she tries to teach him he will go, "boohoo I'm bad at it :(" so she won't ask him to cook again. There is no loving way this weenie can't follow the instructions on a packet.

Throw him into the bin.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Foo Diddley posted:

Man can't really figure out why granddad picked him to give all his money to

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for letting an iPad destroy Christmas?

I feel there’s a part missing here where he really tries to convince his girlfriend to drop the charges because :decorum: if she’s talking about severing.

Save the relationship, sever with your trash family. Don’t want felony charges, don’t do felonies. Yes, it’s not always that simple, but in this case it is. And maybe if this dudes family didn’t enable all Mark’s minor crimes, he’d have stopped or at least wouldn’t be at Christmas.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Pawning an ipad is like the dumbest of dumb poo poo idiot crimes. Congratulations you just did a crime and put a LoJack on yourself.

The people who you stole it from are gonna know where it was the whole time you had it, you dingus.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Pawning an ipad is like the dumbest of dumb poo poo idiot crimes. Congratulations you just did a crime and put a LoJack on yourself.

The people who you stole it from are gonna know where it was the whole time you had it, you dingus.

Heroin addicts are not known for their long term planning skills...

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

It's not the sister's ex, but a person they've known their whole lives that the sister has held a candle for her whole life

OP didn't start dating the guy until her sister was well into her relationship with her own ex, presumably because you'd think at that point they're over it, if they're with someone else

You don't really get to have your cake and eat it too....you can't marry one guy but be upset when the other doesn't stay single. And she absolutely has no room to be upset at OP dating someone she had a crush on but never even dated, given that she's marrying OP's ex.

thank you (all) for the explanation

EDIT: Also re: stepsister and ex and crush drama, lol at her husband-to-be standing there confused AF because his wife is getting romantically jealous about someone else as they head into nuptials lol

but thanks especially for painting this picture for me lmao

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
'how could you date the man i've always loved!' your fiancee laments next to you - and she's not talking about you

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Honestly, play the hand your dealt a certain way and there won’t even be a wedding to skip :v:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

greazeball posted:

but thanks especially for painting this picture for me lmao

Wonder if he let out a Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor confused grunt.

LookListen
Jul 6, 2011

value-brand cereal posted:

IF they're talking about the story wherein white woman trying to use a Asian women's dead sister's name then yeah that trans woman is hosed up racist and evil and hiding behind their queerness to avoid the reality of wow lady. You wanna go by your best friends dead sister's name? A very culturally and racially specific, important name unique to a culture you don't belong to? You want your bff to call you by her dead sister's name and trigger her grief and trauma every time? hosed up.

Of course a trans person can use whatever name they want, but in this case she is genuinely racist and insensitive. There are many names to go by in the world. Hell she could even pick something similar. Hana? Go by Hannah. Hell I know a nonbinary dude who goes by 'Pops'.

If they mean some other story then idk, I have no comment.

Note I'm trans and Asian. I have every right to hate this lady for being racist and hiding behind her queerness to avoid having empathy for her Asian friend and for a deceased Asian woman. People's cultures are not for dressing up in. Our names are important.

Oh yeah, I didn't mean that one, I've been in enough queer groups and knew enough people in others for that to be the most believable of this kind of story. I think I just misremembered that as being the OP's name the person was taking? And got mixed up thinking there was another 'my trans sibling/friend is stealing my name/future child's name and everyone is unusually universally supportive of this trans person's wishes!!' story between that story and the most recent one lol

The 'sibling came out and is stealing my name' thing as a broad concept, just feels like those other stories where it seems like OP is trying to find a situation where a minority making a request/taking offense to something is over the line and bad, like 'oh yeah? Well what if they did THIS, is it still problematic now???'. Or/and trying to find the perfect set up/plot twist for a title that looks -phobic and a post that shows OP is in the right, actually.

Then again most of the trans people I know were either single children or had a normal sibling relationship, so who knows, maybe this does come up a lot??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

My guesses on the name thing, in increasing order of plausibility:

1) Ellie is deliberately or subconsciously pushing boundaries to see if her family still accepts her, because scared kids do that kind of thing;
2) Ellie is needling her sister, because teens;
3) Ellie didn't even think about this and just decided the name was neat, because 13-year-olds aren't great at thinking about anything.

In summary: 13 is a really stupid age