Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The new Prey? What's the gold standard (if it exists) site for checking if my poo poo Windows 10 box can run it - or any given game?

I think it has to be the new Prey, the old Prey is in publishing limbo and can't be bought on any digital store anymore so it's unlikely that Epic got hold of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Important to note that new Prey rules, though.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

oh yeah new prey is the better game for sure

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I enjoyed old Prey :shobon: It doesn't really hold up anymore though, imo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I watched an LP of the OG Prey. It seemed pretty neat, and it looked really nice due to running on the Doom 3 engine.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The new Prey? What's the gold standard (if it exists) site for checking if my poo poo Windows 10 box can run it - or any given game?

I think can you run it is still the goto for this, right? Maybe there's some jazz in the software your graphics card uses, there has to be a reason geforce experience downloads are nearly a gig now

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Prey was pretty well optimized

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d84gqMzPs2U

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

dregan posted:

I think can you run it is still the goto for this, right? Maybe there's some jazz in the software your graphics card uses, there has to be a reason geforce experience downloads are nearly a gig now

It's what I do

Anyway new prey is real good, I'll be excited to have it

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Oh wow, 70 new posts in the free games thread! Guess there are a lot of holiday giveaways happen- :stare:

Prey is dope as poo poo though, it's a fantastic game and even if you just collect games and don't play them you should play this one, I won't tell anyone. It's System Shock 3 but better than SS3 would have ever been.

Runs pretty well too, my ten year old windows 7 brick ran it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I am a weirdo who honestly did not care for Prey very much outside the first two hours, so I will diplomatically say don't go into it with too high expectations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

repiv posted:

I think it has to be the new Prey, the old Prey is in publishing limbo and can't be bought on any digital store anymore so it's unlikely that Epic got hold of it
The PC version of the original Prey was originally for a short-lived early Steam competitor called Triton. When Triton shut down, the game was moved to Steam and all existing CD keys were honored, but the ability to generate new CD keys was lost somehow so there's only a limited number of copies out there.

The Xbox 360 version is not affected by this, and is still on sale with full back-compat support on newer consoles.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

First prey was good, I think. Clever at the time gameplay.

Second Prey is the half-stealth shooter formula (bioshock/dishonored vibe) and it's arguably better, both in visual aesthetics and story.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I can see why people like Loop Hero but so far I'm also glad I didn't pay for it. Delightful sprites and music aside, this very much like a mobile idle game

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

it feels a little early access

like the vampire house building, which you start out with, and until you get a few upgrades is AFAICT 100% totally detrimental to place

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
I hated using the gloo cannon, but apart from that, new Prey was a drat fine game.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Tunicate posted:

it feels a little early access

like the vampire house building, which you start out with, and until you get a few upgrades is AFAICT 100% totally detrimental to place

Nah, Vampires aren't too hard to fight and make for good XP. Also, if you place a town adjacent to a Vampire Mansion, it turns the villagers into ghouls you have to fight. After 4 laps, the town goes back to normal and gives bonus resources.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
plus you can unlock a tile that makes any healing that happens on that tile self-damage instead, which can be a fun gimmick (until you start being able to target builds where you're healing yourself constantly as well). nothing in loop hero is without its uses

i do think the game could deal with having many more tile interactions/synergy/etc but it's still very good

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mutant Year Zero is the freebie today, another repeat

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Nah, Vampires aren't too hard to fight and make for good XP. Also, if you place a town adjacent to a Vampire Mansion, it turns the villagers into ghouls you have to fight. After 4 laps, the town goes back to normal and gives bonus resources.

And at the start of the game, you haven't actually unlocked villages, swamps, OR xp, so the manor doesn't give any benefits at all

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Tunicate posted:

And at the start of the game, you haven't actually unlocked villages, swamps, OR xp, so the manor doesn't give any benefits at all

Well, vampires drop better stuff, so it's better than just better than just running in circles while you beat up slimes and get gear that's not as good as what you already have.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Well, vampires drop better stuff, so it's better than just better than just running in circles while you beat up slimes and get gear that's not as good as what you already have.

So...best early game drop rate is a swamp next to a vampire house?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Do these get a repeat at the end of the run?

Annoyingly I forgot it started on Thursday and missed Shenmue 3, which was one of the ones I was after...

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
That worked. Thanks!

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I can see why people like Loop Hero but so far I'm also glad I didn't pay for it. Delightful sprites and music aside, this very much like a mobile idle game

I don't know about that, but unless I'm missing some basic strategic ideas, it feels like progress of each run is a tiny, tiny amount. I'd like this to be less grindy.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That's my take from it. I'm pretty lucky that i've been able to have it running on the other screen while i do other things and i really like the design, but its so, so grindy. Maxing out my resources on expedition 3 takes forever and it feels like i'm barely constructing poo poo.

Got the max level potion hut, some levell'd watchtowers, war camp, smithy, but ehhhh. Grind grind grind.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
are y'all who are complaining about the grind actually trying to take the bosses down? that should be your main priority

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

dogstile posted:

That's my take from it. I'm pretty lucky that i've been able to have it running on the other screen while i do other things and i really like the design, but its so, so grindy.

I thought it'd be great for this but it's demanding way more of my attention than I thought it would. After rewinding the video I'm watching back 2 minutes for the 19th time I'm wishing I could just automate most of this poo poo. It looks like an idle game but there's no way I could possibly get any work done while making any sort of progress in this game at all.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

treat posted:

I thought it'd be great for this but it's demanding way more of my attention than I thought it would. After rewinding the video I'm watching back 2 minutes for the 19th time I'm wishing I could just automate most of this poo poo. It looks like an idle game but there's no way I could possibly get any work done while making any sort of progress in this game at all.

It reminds me a bit like Realm Grinder with more of a hero RPG element to it. Early on I can usually just let my guy do a whole loop and then worry about stuff later. I don't think there's a big penalty for letting your deck get full and then drop off?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

El Generico posted:

I don't know about that, but unless I'm missing some basic strategic ideas, it feels like progress of each run is a tiny, tiny amount. I'd like this to be less grindy.

To be honest, my main complaint about Loop Hero is that it takes slightly too many runs to get the resources for any given village upgrade, which adds up to way too many runs across the whole game. It's an established issue with the game.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

cage-free egghead posted:

It reminds me a bit like Realm Grinder with more of a hero RPG element to it. Early on I can usually just let my guy do a whole loop and then worry about stuff later. I don't think there's a big penalty for letting your deck get full and then drop off?
That's how you get the memory fragments which add up to books of memories which apparently unlock articles in the encyclopedia

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Mutant Year Zero is pretty fun I played through the free copy I got awhile ago using the free tier of GeForce Now because my pc is kinda terrible. Don't sleep on it.

Big tips are always keep a silent weapon and a loud weapon on everyone. Also juggle around your party/skills depending on situation. You are pretty much always going to want Dux and Bormin, but the other party members all excel at certain situations. Going loud is a last option, not a first. Grenades are your friend. Everyone has a dud skill on their tree (imo) but you have more then enough points to take every skill if you ignore the stat increase options (you should, they suck). The game does somewhat expect you to be save scumming a little, especially at first, but by midgame I was steamrollering everything from stealth ambushes and lockdowns. Ended up with dozens of healing kits at the end game having only used two or three total

I might get the dlc while it is on sale, I know it's just more of the same, but I enjoyed the base game a lot. Plus it has a fire breathing moose-man.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

chglcu posted:

I hated using the gloo cannon, but apart from that, new Prey was a drat fine game.

I only ever used it for traversal up walls (usually after spending ages trying to jump and climb my way up, forgetting that the thing even existed).

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

oh yeah new prey is the better game for sure

Nerf gun shenanigans to open doors was both my most and least favorite part of the game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I remember being rather happy to see Nioh 1 Complete on Epic not that long ago.... then I found out that I already have that on PS4 and no memory of buying it. Took the lustre off of that freebie, honestly.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Zushio posted:

Going loud is a last option, not a first.

That irritated me about the game. I like the tactical combat and exploration, but the stealth is not nearly as neat. You have to save scum all the time cause going loud before you have killed quietly everyone who can go down quietly means certain death. The game pretends stealth is a trade-off cause you have to use a weapon slot for a silent weapon but it really isn't (at least on a decent difficulty level). So for me, it felt like a good tactics game has a poor man's Shadow Tactics/Commandos attached to it.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is free on gog with two more games free on 12/27 and 1/3

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

flatluigi posted:

are y'all who are complaining about the grind actually trying to take the bosses down? that should be your main priority

You miss the part where i'm on boss 4?

E: I guess maxing out on expedition 3 means i could only be on boss 3, but you'd be insane to think I was getting that far into that expedition and not hitting the boss occasionally.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 23, 2021

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

dogstile posted:

You miss the part where i'm on boss 4?

E: I guess maxing out on expedition 3 means i could only be on boss 3, but you'd be insane to think I was getting that far into that expedition and not hitting the boss occasionally.

i was responding mainly to the other posters talking about not understanding the early game

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Why does everyone keep talking about Prey? Was it free and I missed it somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
There was a leak that's pseudoconfirmed that has it as an upcoming giveaway on Epic