Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

some bust on that guy posted:

Looking for a good Switch game. I have Metroid, DKC, Zelda, Mario. I heard good things about Hollow Knight, Ori Will of Wisps, Celeste, Hades, Bloodstained.

I like interesting games (could be stories, worlds, settings, gameplay) with good music, something memorable. Favorite games of last few years are Nier Automata, Last of Us 2, FF7 Remake, Metroid. Didn’t like Astral Chain and got bored of Zelda Botw.

Hollow Knight is probably the best metroidvania of the last decade, as it perfectly nails everything you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Looking for a good Switch game. I have Metroid, DKC, Zelda, Mario. I heard good things about Hollow Knight, Ori Will of Wisps, Celeste, Hades, Bloodstained.

I like interesting games (could be stories, worlds, settings, gameplay) with good music, something memorable. Favorite games of last few years are Nier Automata, Last of Us 2, FF7 Remake, Metroid. Didn’t like Astral Chain and got bored of Zelda Botw.

Pretty much everything on that list should work, especially Hollow Knight or Celeste.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Just get the ones you mentioned, they are all great and meet your criteria.

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

Hwurmp posted:

Ultimate Chicken Horse

This is a fun suggestion. We also like SpeedRunners, but neither are co-op.

I always suggest Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime but I'm going to assume that you've played it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hollow Knight is fantastically atmospheric and it's a whole game about exploring some varied areas with some strong Super Metroid influence, and I think it's one of the best options you have in mind. Celeste isn't about exploring and has a simpler story, but it's emotionally compelling and it's a challenging platforming experience that will make you feel proud for accomplishing.

I think one of the best games that's exclusive to the Switch (or Wii-U if you have one of those) is the Wonderful 101, it's an action game where you play as a team of heroes who form shapes to fight with a little like Okami, and it is just an amazing experience. There's bright colors, ridiculous anime sequences, and a full orchestral score along with a theme song with lyrics that plays when the action swells. If you're uncomfortable trying another Platinum game, there's a a demo to try it out. It's really worth a try.

There are other strong metroidvanias available on Switch like Steamworld Dig 2, which is a bit thin on story, but it's still pretty good. If you check it out and find its digging gameplay or aesthetics appealing, it won't let you down (I like Steamworld Dig 1 a lot as well, but it's more linear with less exploration and less story). There's also Yoku's Express, which it has a demo to check it out if you want, but it's a pinball metroidvania, so that may sell you or discourage you on the concept on its own. There's even the Blaster Master series, which is fun, but extemely barebones on story. I can't really say much about Ori and Bloodstained since I haven't played them, Bloodstained is supposed to be the current successor to Castlevania, and there's also the Castlevania Advance collection if you want more of that.

Here's some other games that are just a unique experience. Spiritfarer, which is a calm, soulful experience picking up people on your boat and crafting them houses and figuring out their lives before helping them pass on. Snakepass, which has no story, but it's a unique control scheme to explore a 3D space. There's also the other Supergiant games that have beautiful stories and amazing music like Bastion and Transistor.

And some other platformers to check out would be Shovel Knight, which is a fun romp, Sonic Mania, and Hat in Time.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Thanks so much everyone. Will definitely get Hollow Knight and Celeste and look into the others. Ooh, Hat in Time. I remember wanting to try that after I heard the Clocktowers beneath the Sea music

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Bloodstained delivered exactly what I felt I was promised, which is another game on console in the same style as Symphony of the Night. That comes with all its ups and downs. There are going to be people who say nothing was learned in 20 years, and there are going to be people who say they love it because it's so classic.

If you really want interesting with good music, and memorable, and you never played it, there is a Saga Frontier redo that has stuff added back to it that was cut from the original, plus a new dude. No assurances on if you think it's good, but if you're open to like, academically interesting stuff, it's there.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think one of the best games that's exclusive to the Switch (or Wii-U if you have one of those) is the Wonderful 101, it's an action game where you play as a team of heroes who form shapes to fight with a little like Okami, and it is just an amazing experience. There's bright colors, ridiculous anime sequences, and a full orchestral score along with a theme song with lyrics that plays when the action swells. If you're uncomfortable trying another Platinum game, there's a a demo to try it out. It's really worth a try.
It's on PC now as well. No idea about the port quality, though.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Blasphemous is easily as good a metroidvania as Ori or Hollow Knight, the setting/world is great, and the music is top shelf

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Thanks so much everyone. Will definitely get Hollow Knight and Celeste and look into the others. Ooh, Hat in Time. I remember wanting to try that after I heard the Clocktowers beneath the Sea music

Witcher 3 is on switch now if you haven't played it, and I would definitely classify it as memorable and has great music.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

SMT5

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

The World Ends With You

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Hades is insanely good. Celeste was also a fun platformer. Hollow Knight very good as well as a Metroidvania.

Very different, but a good story and interesting is Disco Elysium - the big definitive edition is out on switch now.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Hollow Knight if you want an action-y game. If you want something more exploration-based in that vein, try Paradise Killer.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

What are some good competitive games with teams of 2? My brother and I play a lot of co-op and he wants to change it up with some competitive games against other people. Looking strictly for games with teams of 2, not being a duo in a larger team game like League of Legends for example. The two he suggested when posing the idea were Starcraft 2 and Age of Empires 4, but that's not necessarily a genre preference, just the ones he'd been thinking of.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If you like Tower Defense or Autochess, Legion TD2 is a pretty fun mix of both that includes a dedicated 2v2 queue. Instead of towers you build a deck of units then summon them onto your field in-game. They fight creeps and earn gold which you use to buy more units and upgrades, then occasionally you fight against the other team instead of creeps, with the goal being to defeat their creatures and then take out their base and its guardians.

It's not a game I could write a huge glowing post about because I don't know it well enough but I've had fun with it and it was the first thing that came to mind for dedicated 2v2. You'll likely get your poo poo kicked in during your first few matches because you need to be fairly on-point with your early build order to even defeat the NPC creeps but once it clicks it's fun. it's based on a Warcraft 3 mod that I never played. Also only Ranked is 2v2, the casual queue mode is 4v4.

There's also Minion Masters which is a weird f2p mix of deckbuilding, tower defense, auto-battlers and tug of war games with a dedicated 2v2 mode. I like this game and there's a surprising amount of depth and strategy if you climb up the ranks and play at higher levels. However I think it will suffer a bit early on from duo queueing unless you like not being challenged - being able to coordinate certain pushes like spell dragons or golems will absolutely poo poo on everyone you come up against until fairly high rank, because the queue is still largely made of individual players. I think there are a bunch of mobile games with the same general idea and more exploitative monetization but I've never played any of them.

And since I'm listing Tower Defense games already (because apparently this genre likes 2v2) Element TD2 which is also based on a WC3 mod I never played is very good, features competitive 2v2 or 2v2v2v2 multiplayer, and just got a pretty major update that got a lot of people playing again. Ranked is limited to 1v1 though.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 21, 2021

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Phigs posted:

What are some good competitive games with teams of 2? My brother and I play a lot of co-op and he wants to change it up with some competitive games against other people. Looking strictly for games with teams of 2, not being a duo in a larger team game like League of Legends for example. The two he suggested when posing the idea were Starcraft 2 and Age of Empires 4, but that's not necessarily a genre preference, just the ones he'd been thinking of.

Rocket League! There is a 2v2 queue and it's super active.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Phigs posted:

The Hunt might be worth a look.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
PC-game recommendations for 8 & 11 year-old nieces? Preferably available on GOG.

Stardew Valley was well-liked and they also have Sims.

I'm leaning towards Slime Rancher (which I haven't played).

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kennel posted:

PC-game recommendations for 8 & 11 year-old nieces? Preferably available on GOG.

Dragon Quest Builders 2

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kennel posted:

Slime Rancher is great

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Looking for a naval sim. I like realistic distances, speeds, and gunnery so probably not something like World of Warships. I got Silent Hunter 3 working with the GWX3 mod but it's still janky and doesn't like higher resolutions. I don't own Silent Hunter V and it's an option but LORD IN HEAVEN I do not want to go through this process to get it working right if it's not worth it:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

How’s Far Cry 6? Looks like…another game, but Cuba it’s a fun setting

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Gorson posted:

Looking for a naval sim. I like realistic distances, speeds, and gunnery so probably not something like World of Warships. I got Silent Hunter 3 working with the GWX3 mod but it's still janky and doesn't like higher resolutions. I don't own Silent Hunter V and it's an option but LORD IN HEAVEN I do not want to go through this process to get it working right if it's not worth it:

How important are graphics to you?

If not very, I would recommend Rule the Waves 2. It's a naval strategy game where you are a country in 1900, have to design and build your navy (taking into account cost, armament, armor, engine/range, technology, etc), assign a naval budget and research priorities, commission naval plane designs, and build coastal fortifications etc. Then it runs a basic political / strategic simulation where you'll wind up in a war every 10-20 years or so, depending on how belligerent your political choices are. This part is pretty light, as you're the naval secretary, not the head of state, and can really only decide the navy's attitude towards events already happening. When war breaks out, naval battles start occurring based on yours and the enemy's fleet distribution, and they are fought on a tactical map (real time with pause and speed selection at seconds, minutes, hours etc) with a semi-random selection of what ships are available in the are where the battle is taking place. The battles shift the tides of war, and depending on how you do (+ some randomness from the army, which you don't control) the peace deal will be based on your performance. You might gain or lose a key naval base depending on the terms.

It goes from 1900 to 1970, and spans the development of the dreadnaught, then the battlecruiser/fast battleship, the growing importance of naval aviation, and then finally carrier supremacy. The developer was going to start including missiles by the late game but ran out of steam and is saving that for an expansion or sequel.

Cons are that the graphics are basic. The strategic level is a simple menu + map + spreadsheets for your list of ships with a few pictures to add flavor to events. The tactical battles take place on a 2D overhead view zoomed in map. Also, it's only available on the developer's website, not on Steam.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Gorson posted:

Well, I definitely can't recommend my game, then, because it's not even remotely realistic :v: But you might check out Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnought.

Oh yeah, and Rule the Waves is a classic.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Well, I definitely can't recommend my game, then, because it's not even remotely realistic :v: But you might check out Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnought.

Oh yeah, and Rule the Waves is a classic.

Your game is great and I love your twitter.

Also apparently Rule the Waves 2 cannot currently be bought because the guy who owns the online store that sells it died? And so you're SOL until Jan 1 when their new store comes online. Small grognard developers lol.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Cantorsdust posted:

How important are graphics to you?

Not particularly. Rule the Waves 2 does look to have the depth I like. I've looked at Ultimate Admiral as well and that does look promising but at this point in early access the battles seem more like custom battles and there is no campaign?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Gorson posted:

Not particularly. Rule the Waves 2 does look to have the depth I like. I've looked at Ultimate Admiral as well and that does look promising but at this point in early access the battles seem more like custom battles and there is no campaign?

Right now the campaign is an extremely limited prototype, there are custom battles, and there is a very good scenario based mode where you have to design within certain constraints in order to beat missions.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

poisonpill posted:

If you like Far Cry games it's fine, it's another one. Once I beat it I put it down and haven't picked it up or thought about it again.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Uad has more fun battles really thanks to the graphics and all that, but rtw has a much better campaign, and I don’t think uad’s ship designer will ever reach the levels of rtw’s because of the limitations imposed by the prefab graphics.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

poisonpill posted:

I bet this gets said a lot, but if you have a PS4/5 check out Ghost of Tsushima. Same basic formula buy very, very fun and refreshing in a way Far Cry hasn’t been since 3.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Are there any arcade-y racers and/or vehicular combat games on Steam that goons recommend? (besides Mad Max, which I tried and it was pretty okay) None of the classic series got on there except the lovely Burnout.

I've played:
Flatout 1
Mad Max
Crossout

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Magnetic North posted:

Are there any arcade-y racers and/or vehicular combat games on Steam that goons recommend? (besides Mad Max, which I tried and it was pretty okay) None of the classic series got on there except the lovely Burnout.

I've played:
Flatout 1
Mad Max
Crossout

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is fantastic.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Did you ever play Rollcage back on the PS1? There's a spiritual successor called Grip, I've only played a small amount but it seems pretty fun. Also it's on sale now for £4

edit: and Shine is correct

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 23, 2021

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Magnetic North posted:

I've played:
Flatout 1
Mad Max
Crossout

Redout is a pretty good F-Zero style game

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Magnetic North posted:

I've played:
Flatout 1
Mad Max
Crossout

Distance
Redout
Lightfield

In that order

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
My wife likes the Nancy Drew point and click puzzle games. What else is out there that’s that style of casual game without being weirdo anime stuff? Bonus points if there is a Mac version.

Naramyth fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 23, 2021

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Naramyth posted:

My wife likes the Nancy Drew point and click puzzle games. What else is out there that’s that style of casual game without being weirdo anime stuff? Bonus points if there is a Mac version.

Following because we have the same wife

Edit: my wife finds new phone games by clicking game ads in other games.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Kennel posted:

Rune Factory 4. It's SV with a stronger emphasis on characterization and combat.

My Time at Portia. It's SV but you play as Robin. Almost all the story quests you do modify the world map in a lasting way and it's really cool to go by something and realize you built it.

Slime Rancher is also a good choice.

I assume you know about Minecraft already?

Naramyth posted:

I don't enjoy most games in that genre, but checkout
Gorogoa
Hero of the Kingdom

My wife enjoyed Fran Bow a lot, but it's pretty dark.

Maybe
Obduction
The Room
Myst

I know there's a whole bunch of hidden item mobile games, but I've no idea which are any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Naramyth posted:

Similar ish - device 6 and the normal lost phone games are little puzzle guys. Broken Age as a step up in complexity.