Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
For minced garlic I generally go with from a jar but for some things thinly sliced garlic slivers can't be beat and I don't think you can buy that pre-prepped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

For minced garlic I generally go with from a jar but for some things thinly sliced garlic slivers can't be beat and I don't think you can buy that pre-prepped

I just use a cheese grater if I need that. (I got rid of my mandoline; I was tired of goring myself on it and my kitchen looking like a Friday the 13th kill scene. Being on lifelong anticoagulation sucks.)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

GD_American posted:

We're doing a Friday matinee of Spider-Man (as my niece said, it's now or never the way poo poo gets spoiled) and I'm trying to keep my expectations to low-medium.

It probably helps that I was one of the very few people that thought the Willem Dafoe Green Goblin sucked.

IMO Dafoe was a pretty silly Green Goblin but a very good Norman Osborne.

Probably not gonna see that movie until it ends up on streaming though. Not sure that I care enough about the MCU at this point to go to an actual theater. The wife and I saw Shang-Chi at a drive-in which was cool though.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Relentlessboredomm posted:

bourdain calmed down a lot on the prepped ingredients issue once he had to do the work all day thing and then go home to cook while taking care of your kid. which yea, that poo poo sucks.

a historian friend of mine made a great point once when she told me that its an historic aberration to have workers go home and make their own food. typically in most cultures through medieval and modern history you just went to some local dining hall or cart on the way home.

yes please do this and also legalize weed. thank god they got bullied into extending it again, that's such a huge help for me, I spent most of the morning looking at my budget for january and getting sad

Or the missus took care of it. Feminism has a lot to answer for.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Timby posted:

I just use a cheese grater if I need that. (I got rid of my mandoline; I was tired of goring myself on it and my kitchen looking like a Friday the 13th kill scene. Being on lifelong anticoagulation sucks.)

I know that game. Mine took forever to heal because the wound wouldn't stay closed. And good lord, the blood.

Was my middle finger, too, which as an Eagles fan is outright debilitating

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Spoeank posted:

When I did injury claims I had a woman take her literal baby to the chiropractor who did an adjustment and then they took the baby to a real doctor and found the baby had a crack in the transverse process of the vertebrae. The woman lost her mind *at me* when I told her that her baby did not need 6 weeks of daily chiro treatment to FIX A FRACTURE

I see so many claims that just drag out with endless chiro "treatment". It's so annoying.

Timby posted:

Get a garlic press. I was skeptical at first and thought it wouldn't save that much time. But I hate chopping garlic so it's so much more satisfying to smash it.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Timby posted:

The Sony catalog is going to Netflix sometime in the spring, as I recall.

disney also signed some sort of agreement with sony and i think that'll mean the older spider man stuff will pop up on disney+

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dango Bango posted:

Get a garlic press. I was skeptical at first and thought it wouldn't save that much time. But I hate chopping garlic so it's so much more satisfying to smash it.

I used to have one.

My ex-wife kept it when I moved out four years ago. :(

Toaster Beef posted:

I know that game. Mine took forever to heal because the wound wouldn't stay closed. And good lord, the blood.

Was my middle finger, too, which as an Eagles fan is outright debilitating

Yeah, I keep superglue in my silverware drawer because even if I'm chopping something with my chef's knife, one bad cut and there's going to be blood, everywhere, and the bleeding won't stop for 15 - 20 minutes. I've never gored myself so badly that I've needed to go to the ED and be evaluated for blood loss, but there are times I've come close to calling a cab for it.

A few months ago I spent about a week in the hospital and an IV that was in my collarbone area infiltrated and began bleeding everywhere. Absolutely ruined the T-shirt I was wearing, because it was almost completely drenched in blood within about 30 seconds flat.

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 22, 2021

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Timby posted:

That reminds me I need to get a new nonstick pan. I've had my current one for maybe seven years? And the drat thing's warped, now.

I had a nonstick pan for 10-15 years because I treat my cookware better than I treat my kids. Well, SB and I went away for a weekend and when I came back, my precious pristine skillet was scratched all to hell and sitting in the dishwasher. My MIL who was babysitting for us scrambled eggs in the pan WITH A FORK and then slammed the thing into the dishwasher to clean it. I legit cried. You can ask SB. I was heartbroken.

Anyway, I got a new set of 3 for $30 at Costco and they're really good.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dango Bango posted:

We were talking about sliced garlic though not minced. Just get the jar for minced gently caress it

I wouldn't bother using a cheese grater, it's so easy to just use a knife. But then again some people would scoff at me for using the jar and tell me how easy it is to mince so

I would definitely buy sliced garlic in a jar if it was available :effort:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I bought two Woll non stick pans last year and they've been incredible. You can't get anything to stick to them. They're a bit spendy but I use them all the time so I can justify it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Vertical Lime posted:

disney also signed some sort of agreement with sony and i think that'll mean the older spider man stuff will pop up on disney+

The cartoon shows are on D+, but not any of the movies. Good to know Netflix is getting them since I have that too.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Rectal Placenta posted:

My garbage disposal just popped :(

Just installed the replacement :(

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
You got T-Fal?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Rectal Placenta posted:

Just installed the replacement :(

I've done it and it's gross work

Years of sediment just dripping down on you while you try to get the right awkward angle to get another half turn

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Braksgirl posted:

scrambled eggs in the pan WITH A FORK

I love my father to death, he's the smartest human being I know, and it raises the gently caress out of my blood pressure to watch him do this. I've snapped at him more than once for jabbing into one of my nonstick pans with a fork to get food out.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Relentlessboredomm posted:

bourdain calmed down a lot on the prepped ingredients issue once he had to do the work all day thing and then go home to cook while taking care of your kid. which yea, that poo poo sucks.

a historian friend of mine made a great point once when she told me that its an historic aberration to have workers go home and make their own food. typically in most cultures through medieval and modern history you just went to some local dining hall or cart on the way home.

yes please do this and also legalize weed. thank god they got bullied into extending it again, that's such a huge help for me, I spent most of the morning looking at my budget for january and getting sad

Yeah it's tight that most of my week time not working is spent cleaning, cooking, eating, doing dishes, and sleeping so that I can do more work.

Oh wait, it actually sux!!!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

GD_American posted:

I love my father to death, he's the smartest human being I know, and it raises the gently caress out of my blood pressure to watch him do this. I've snapped at him more than once for jabbing into one of my nonstick pans with a fork to get food out.

Our parents can't help it. Much like we are poisoned from plastics from nonstick pans and such, they were poisoned by lead and have brain damage.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Save the plastic cutlery from takeout orders and use that on non-stick pans, bing bing bong so simple.

I've gotten in the habit of using wooden chopsticks to flip anything in a pan that they can reasonably grip.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Our parents can't help it. Much like we are poisoned from plastics from nonstick pans and such, they were poisoned by lead and have brain damage.

It's sort of like how our boomer parents (my sperm donor was born in 1948, my mom in 1950) are still convinced that you need to vulcanize pork to like 170 degrees even though the FDA has been saying 145 for two decades and the supply chain isn't anywhere as contaminated as it was 50 years ago; the risk of trichinosis is essentially nonexistent.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Just got selected for a 3080ti in a Newegg shuffle :hellyeah:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Timby posted:

It's sort of like how our boomer parents (my sperm donor was born in 1948, my mom in 1950) are still convinced that you need to vulcanize pork to like 170 degrees even though the FDA has been saying 145 for two decades and the supply chain isn't anywhere as contaminated as it was 50 years ago; the risk of trichinosis is essentially nonexistent.

Medium rare pork is :discourse: and something I'm in love with.

I'm also insane and plan on cooking chicken in Sous vide at 145°F for 2 hours in the future.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

GD_American posted:

There are no less than 20 silicone spatulas RIGHT THERE in a crock on the counter right next to the stove. It is literally more work to open the drawer and pull out a fork than it is to grab one of those spatulas. My kids told me that when they saw her use the fork they were like "Mom's gonna be maaaaad" and yet, she just scrambled away.

I love my MIL. She's one of my besties, but she treats her cookware as if it's disposable and I just do not do that.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

C-Euro posted:

Save the plastic cutlery from takeout orders and use that on non-stick pans, bing bing bong so simple.

I've gotten in the habit of using wooden chopsticks to flip anything in a pan that they can reasonably grip.

That’s going to lead to a lot of molten plastic.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If it's any consolation, a lot of old nonstick cookware is surfaced with polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), commonly known as Teflon. That is a "forever chemical." It's accurate but misleading to call it "plastic," because it's far far worse than plastic. It does not break down ever, every drop of the stuff we've manufactured for the last ninety years will be hanging around on the planet for millennia. PFOA is a toxic chemical used to bond PTFE to cookware; it is known to be a cancer agent. It's particularly dangerous to heat anything with PFOA above about 500 degrees F - which you possibly could do without realizing it, since nonstick pans are often really thin, low-thermal-mass, and the direct flame or element you're cooking on could heat one spot to that hot.

Maybe more importantly, it's a family of chemicals we simply cannot manufacture safely. Huge amounts of it are in our water and soil, and we have to stop making more.

So you probably want to not only replace your old nonstick cookware regardless, you definitely should buy PTFE & PFOA-free cookware. I'm a fan of stainless, ceramic-coated, and cast iron; I can make eggs not stick in a properly seasoned cast iron pan, but using oil in the ceramic-coated one works pretty well too.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Hot Diggity! posted:

Just got selected for a 3080ti in a Newegg shuffle :hellyeah:

Congrats on the boss rear end card.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Joey Freshwater posted:

I finally just tried it enough times that it worked!

e: aaaaan now my inbox won’t sync

That's odd as poo poo. I haven't used the newest version of Outlook but is there still an expanded view you can see in the program when you're trying to sync your mail that gives any input as to what is going on?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Y’all matrix is loving BAD

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Samadhi posted:

Congrats on the boss rear end card.

https://twitter.com/Nerva3D/status/1472835082683658243

Doing a full-blown upgrade and gonna toss a Intel Core i7-12700K into the mix. Can't wait to play New Vegas on it.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

I've played a bit of Control and Star Wars Squadrons on my new computer but mostly a lot of Stellaris, an old strategy game that uses like .2% of my new computer's power

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Y’all matrix is loving BAD

Im am hour in and shaking my head lots.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ahahahahahah this keeps getting worse

Like minute by minute

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Did someone really just
correct the loving chosen one on preferred pronouns for a loving robot. jfc

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

FizFashizzle posted:

Ahahahahahah this keeps getting worse

Like minute by minute

The first 30 are the worst. It climbs a bit from there. The action never gets....good, but at least some decent ideas start popping up.

But yeah, that beginning is, woof

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
did some christmas dinner food shopping and holy poo poo food prices are nuts. i think i've slowly gotten used to the pain on my regularly purchased stuff but buying spices i only get once or twice a year along with some specific meat cuts just hammers home how much prices have risen in the last 18mos.

Samadhi posted:

I've played a bit of Control and Star Wars Squadrons on my new computer but mostly a lot of Stellaris, an old strategy game that uses like .2% of my new computer's power

surprising bc usually Paradox games are capable of eating up all the processing power in the universe to show you a few dozen units moving across the map

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 23, 2021

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

BlindSite posted:

Did someone really just
correct the loving chosen one on preferred pronouns for a loving robot. jfc

The director's trans, i imagine it's something of a thing

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Its Rinaldo posted:

The director's trans, i imagine it's something of a thing

The director is a lovely one and an even shittier writer.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Samadhi posted:

I really need to get back into these two. Played Squadrons for a bit when it came out, then stopped, and got into Stellaris but ran out of time to play.

Really need some game escape.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Samadhi posted:

That's odd as poo poo. I haven't used the newest version of Outlook but is there still an expanded view you can see in the program when you're trying to sync your mail that gives any input as to what is going on?

So outlook has a thing where it connects with gmail automatically through whatever computer magic and that’s what I was doing.

I then googled the IMAP settings and set my account up manually through that and now it’s working great. Can’t figure out how to give it access to our conference room scheduler but I’m guessing that’s a whole other thing.

Pfft IT is easy, I could do it for real all you gotta do is know how to google stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Whoever said that the new Matrix was basically a fan made movie nailed it