Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I think GPAPISS2 is a better name anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Tree Bucket posted:

Imagine having genes named after you. Then losing that honour. Uriel's not going to be happy.

:seeing clippy for the first time:

"you are the one from my dreams...then the stars were right, and this is the day. gods give me strength."

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Is it CSVs? I bet it's CSVs.

*checks*

Yeah it's CSVs. CSVs aren't really "Excel" though, lots of things can read and display CSVs. Excel is actually one of the worst things for reading a CSV because its "helpful" (and practically impossible to disable) automatic parsing will gently caress up your data.

e: That's what's happening with the SEPT2 thing.

The files are internally called "exh" and "exd" by the game, for EXcelHeader and EXcelData respectively :v:

IIRC they use excel as a GUI for editing a mysql database that gets compiled into the proprietary game format mentioned above

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

HenryEx posted:

The files are internally called "exh" and "exd" by the game, for EXcelHeader and EXcelData respectively :v:

IIRC they use excel as a GUI for editing a mysql database that gets compiled into the proprietary game format mentioned above
Oh lord

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

HenryEx posted:

At least there actually is a database rather than just like, an xlsx file they've got on Google Drive that they are using as one.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
*rationally thinking about why spreadsheets might be useful in game development* well there are data management reasons it can be useful to use Excel for flat files that can be read in a game engine

*meanwhile in Japan*

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

zedprime posted:

*rationally thinking about why spreadsheets might be useful in game development* well there are data management reasons it can be useful to use Excel for flat files that can be read in a game engine

*meanwhile in Japan*

I really wish I could read Japanese because I know what encounter that’s from and I’d love to know what they’re specifying about it.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

My first job out of university was doing data management and data entry at a university, where they were moving from an old records system to a new one. So much of the workflow was stuff like pull data out of old database > open the exported data in excel to check it for errors > convert it into a readable format for the new database > import it into the new database.

It's now occuring to me that there was probably a better piece of software to look at and reformat 5,000 - 30,000 rows of curriculum data than Excel. All the errors I could have avoided having to deal with. No wonder that project kept on getting extended.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah if anything, we had months names first

Goddamit I missed out half the sentence. I'd put it in the mid-tier.

It's stupid. But not especially stupid by the standards of genetics.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I work on a database thing that's built for OLAP, basically pivot tables but for a lot of data.

I spend a lot of time working with teams to help them write good queries and one team was absolutely insistent that what they really needed was a query that returned ALL data for the last 30 days, record by record, from a table with several trillion records.

No matter how I asked the question, they'd just keep coming back with "we need everything," and they were getting upset that their queries failed (because they were trying to download terabytes of data)

Eventually they figured out that a query for 5 minutes of data worked, so they tried running 8640 separate queries, which also didn't work well.

I'm gonna just skip a bunch of the story: it was excel. They had some old spreadsheet that they'd been using for years, and they wanted to put the data in there.

Hundreds of thousands of dollars in specialized software, disks and CPUs designed to perform the exact kinds of filtering and aggregations that their spreadsheet did, and all they wanted to use it for was to download the csv so they could try to do the same calculations on a lovely laptop.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Red Bones posted:

My first job out of university was doing data management and data entry at a university, where they were moving from an old records system to a new one. So much of the workflow was stuff like pull data out of old database > open the exported data in excel to check it for errors > convert it into a readable format for the new database > import it into the new database.

It's now occuring to me that there was probably a better piece of software to look at and reformat 5,000 - 30,000 rows of curriculum data than Excel. All the errors I could have avoided having to deal with. No wonder that project kept on getting extended.

I feel like a lot of this kind of things happens because people already know how to use Excel, and learning how to use a new piece of software is not considered a worthwhile use of time, especially if it feels like it's going to be a one-off thing. So instead they just eat the cost overruns from all the problems that arise from using Excel because well, at least they don't have to change their workflow.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like a lot of this kind of things happens because people already know how to use Excel, and learning how to use a new piece of software is not considered a worthwhile use of time, especially if it feels like it's going to be a one-off thing. So instead they just eat the cost overruns from all the problems that arise from using Excel because well, at least they don't have to change their workflow.

Yeah, Excel's main problems are abysmal version control, and increasingly experienced fools trying to (mis)apply it to bigger or more expensive problems due to sunk cost fallacy or what have they.

Also "readability" sucks, i.e. how easy it's to figure out 5 complicated spreadsheets written by 5 unrelated individuals, but you can't realistically "fix" that in a blank canvas code constructor like Excel.

cinci zoo sniper has a new favorite as of 01:56 on Dec 20, 2021

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
The worst Excel experience I've had came when we asked our University finance how much of a grant we had left and got, within the span of 3 weeks, Ł80k that we demand you spend within two months, -Ł20k stop spending anything right now then Ł20k. Turned out every single member of finance just had their own, hand-made spreadsheet for answering these queries and it was basically chance if it had up-to-date values or even correct formulae.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

zedprime posted:

*meanwhile in Japan*

What game is this from?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Golbez posted:

What game is this from?

Final Fantasy XIV.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, i think that's the Big Gay Frog boss encounter, i remember taking that route over the infinite Indiana Jones chasm

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

huh, which cell controls the gayness?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Doc Hawkins posted:

huh, which cell controls the gayness?

You think a mere cell could control that? Gayness is stored in its own excel file with over 7.2 million variables.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Don Gato posted:

You think a mere cell could control that? Gayness is stored in its own excel file with over 7.2 million variables.

7.2 million variables, but only one formula: CUMPRINC.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Don Gato posted:

Gayness is stored in the cells

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Don Gato posted:

Gayness regular just fucks up for incredibly stupid reasons all the time?

I mean that puts it pretty much exactly in line with everything else involving people doing things I guess.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

dr_rat posted:

I mean that puts it pretty much exactly in line with everything else involving people doing things I guess.

People are the real #VALUE!

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

dr_rat posted:

We're all supposed to be gay but someone hosed up the Gay Excel.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/zornsllama/status/1473575508784955394?t=fbj6C5EEFNE8AjZ9WH_1JA&s=19

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Less wins since the start of his professional career than a man who was blackballed out of the sport five years ago because of his views on police brutality, lol.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

The combined graph botched the axes/scaling. The Yankee Candle graph is "days plus/minus Christmas day" basically. And while the COVID one will also line up with that as well, they did a poor job of lining them up.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I, umm.... hmm.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's just a template. You have to hire him to make the content

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I don't think I've seen a pseudo graph that particular kind of hosed before. I'm honestly impressed.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I assume that’s a joke account.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/bopinion/status/1478214668929933314?s=21

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Source: De Beers lmfao

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I like how even De Beers can't get 40% of people to say diamonds are "authentic".

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Also lol that they didn’t even try to hide it came from Evil Corp instead of creating some lovely ‘foundation’ with a name like “Ethical Diamond Research Institute”

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Can you buy synthetic diamonds for jewelry now, or does the child slavery blood and death cartel still have that outlawed?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Can you buy synthetic diamonds for jewelry now, or does the child slavery blood and death cartel still have that outlawed?

I'm pretty sure you've been able to buy them for ages. There's just a lot of counter-marketing describing them as cheap or fake.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

HerStuddMuffin posted:

They even sell synthetic diamonds themselves. At a loss, too, to cheapen them in the eyes of their customers.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
De beers threatened to cut off supply to any jewelers who were cutting or setting and selling synthetic diamonds. They noticed the writing on the wall and now have stakes in the synth labs so that they can get a cut and ramp up supply only as much as their natural demand wanes while threatening the same cut off for anyone doing business with synth labs doing more volume than they like.

For being a monopoly that is reliant on a single good in politically and ethically dangerous areas, they are oddly adept at working with market forces instead of arguing with them. Their stonewalling of cubic zirconia on the basis that it looks too good actually opened markets for them on colors and inclusions that were unsellable before the narrative that diamonds are imperfectly natural beauties. Their stonewalling synthetic has seemingly bought them time to just make arrangements with the synths. Not sure anything short of liberating their slaves is gonna knock them down too far, and by then maybe it's too late and they just go full synthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Paladinus posted:

They even sell synthetic diamonds themselves. At a loss, too, to cheapen them in the eyes of their customers.

"We have these, too." *casts a handful of dirty artificial diamonds at customer's feet, spits on them* "If that's more your... sort of thing."