Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Yep, one of the "boss fights" involves 99% standing around doing nothing (who ever thought this was a good idea? Same with the fight in Crystal Tower that requires it), and another has enemy spam of enemies so weak that anyone other than ranged DPS will be miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

OddObserver posted:

Yep, one of the "boss fights" involves 99% standing around doing nothing (who ever thought this was a good idea? Same with the fight in Crystal Tower that requires it), and another has enemy spam of enemies so weak that anyone other than ranged DPS will be miserable.

The crystal tower one, at least in theory and with ilvl 50 people, would have each group's tank pull the mobs to the platform so the ranged dps can kill it, while the melee kill Atomos. It doesn't work that way in practice but I can see it being a thing.

Copperbell's slime boss doesn't even have that as an excuse.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The vibe I get from Copperbell is that it was intended to be new players' first experience with "challenge" mechanics (mob rushes! A puzzle boss!), but the design and tuning ended up making it only work that way for people who are new to the dungeon and also MMOs in general. The first time I ran Copperbell, I found it exciting and tense, because I hadn't played MMOs for over a decade before FF14, and it was the first dungeon that I did on my own without coaching from my partner. Every subsequent time... loving snore town

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
doing panda has made me excited to try savages but I'm hesitant due to ping issues. I love how plate-spinny the encounters get. "oh so you've got this mechanic down? OK here's another, idiot."

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, I don't think any of the dungeons were terrible for a new player's 2.0 experience. They're certainly lacking now, but I remember some hectic fights from Sastasha when adds were allowed to spawn, and I remember it more of an effort to do some of Copperbell's stuff.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
We're talking about most disliked duties? Guess I should follow but I will tell you that this is only up to Stormblood content since I haven't got to the other two expansions yet or even finished all of Stormblood's patches story, so it'll likely change later on.

50/60/70/80: The Hard version of the Wanderer's Palace is ingrained in my memory due to how difficult the last Dungeon boss was. I was happy seeing the end cutscene when you beat it, I can say that. Kugane Castle is a second but that's mainly out of bad memories of my first attempt dealing with it.

Leveling: The Sunken Temple of Qarn due to a mixture of having to do it five times in a row while leveling DRK and one point having to deal with two lovely party members which pretty much stained any good memory that I had for the dungeon.

Trial: The Pool of Tribute due to wiping twice because people forgot how to use the Duty Action button which I can't blame them since it's a rare mechanic that Stormblood started using (I don't know if it got introduced in the expansion or not) but wiping multiple times still sucks.

Main Scenario: I guess Prae but that's because I feel that it's a bit longer than the other one. I honestly don't know if it's true but I think it feels like it.

Guildhest: I've only done one Guildhest and I honestly forgot that you can unlock more.

Alliance Raid: Dun Scaith. Deathgaze Hollow is the grand king of wiping out people due to his bullshit mechanics and I honestly don't care for anything who'll defend that gently caress. The rest is the raid is alright but he just kinda sours the raid for me.

Raid: The Cuff of the Father and it's less about being bad but more about being kinda boring due to being a fight with stronger than usual trash mobs instead of a boss fight at the end.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I've played since 1.0 and have literally never done a guildheist, they're not real, you can't convince me they are.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Two guildhests were mandatory in the 2.x questline, until probably Stormblood.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Deathgaze is the funniest fight in all of the Alliance Raids. My favorite thing is that Arm's Length prevents the pull from the vacuum death mechanic, so I run JUST out of it after the first pull while popping it and I watch everyone else stop with me and get sucked in.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
that's crazy, the early ones take like 30 seconds and they give a not-insignificant amount of exp for doing x/y number a week.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

The vibe I get from Copperbell is that it was intended to be new players' first experience with "challenge" mechanics (mob rushes! A puzzle boss!), but the design and tuning ended up making it only work that way for people who are new to the dungeon and also MMOs in general. The first time I ran Copperbell, I found it exciting and tense, because I hadn't played MMOs for over a decade before FF14, and it was the first dungeon that I did on my own without coaching from my partner. Every subsequent time... loving snore town

Eh, even then, Tam-tara and Sastasha are better 'how to dungeon' fights because they're actual fights. The slime boss is literally just two adds for the DPS, and they were never particularly hard, even before they got one shot.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Pyro Jack posted:

Main Scenario: I guess Prae but that's because I feel that it's a bit longer than the other one. I honestly don't know if it's true but I think it feels like it.

Prae's got roughly 30 minutes of cutscenes in it. Castrum doesn't. However prae gives decently better xp because of its length, so, eh. There are people who will leave CM to requeue for Prae (presumably they're fate farming in the meantime? 30 minutes is a long penalty to take).

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Favorite Roulette Results:

Leveling: Before EW, probably Dohn Mheg because there's not a lot of downtime, and what downtime there is can potentially lead to comedy (like someone slipping and falling during the tightrope fight). If you get an inexplicably bad group, worse than a trust, you even get a reverse enrage at the last boss, where Aenc Thon tries to do another fearsome transformation and accidentally inflicts Toad on himself.

I haven't run the EW leveling dungeons enough to get strong opinions on them but enjoy the 87 dungeon a lot, visually. And the final boss of the 82 dungeon is full of a lot of scrambling ddr dodges, it's great.

Trials: Titania, because apparently I crave violence. The 83 normal trial is coming up very close, however. I can parse the rotating arena gimmick pretty easily and it's funny waiting to see which randos will realize I know what's up and follow my lead

Numbers: Gubal Hard and it's a drat shame you don't see it very often since it's completely optional. Wall pulls are easy for a tank to manage and there's possibly the most satisfying magic dps LB target pack in the game after the second boss. Kugane Castle is a close second for being the training ground for a gold saucer GATE. The fact that you almost never get these two is a big part of why I don't bother with Numbers.

Though, Swallow's Compass is also very cool and I wish I got to see more of it to have a former opinion of it. Again, optional and, thus, very rare.

Ally Rou: Orbonne, no question. There's a few newbie traps and gotchas, and one bad team can devastate the entire raid at TG Cid, but you're never wanting for something to do and the mechanics are all very easy to remember if you just run through it a couple of times. Puppet's Bunker is a close second, with both a very fun ring-arena boss and a boss that gives you a "delete other team" button if you're feeling spicy, but the corridor bullet hell section drags on too long and I prefer Ultima's weird gimmicks and final exam phase to it.

MSQ Rou: lol

Normals: lmao

Guildhest: please stop hitting the turtle

Frontlines: I should give it a try when onsal hakair is on, I've never played that. Otherwise, no comment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't leave queue but I prefer Prae more because CM requires juuuust enough attention that I can't really zone out for long periods of time but not enough attention to be fun.

Also the magitek armor / cannon gimmick fight feels slow and boring as poo poo because nothing can actually hurt you so it's 90% waiting for the Magitek Loaders.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Also the magitek armor / cannon gimmick fight feels slow and boring as poo poo because nothing can actually hurt you so it's 90% waiting for the Magitek Loaders.

It's also dependent on people being awake enough to grab adds before they ice the Loaders or kill the cannons, and most people are on their phones or chatting on Discord by that point in the run. It's just really unpleasant compared to the AFK EXP of Prae.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Prae is better at facilitating watching something on a second screen, pretty straightforward first half you can run past and then it's just cutscene - burn boss until the end. Castrum has too many moments where you have to actually pay attention to click on stuff

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Castrum also allows two assholes to camp on the loaded cannons on the Livia-in-armor fight without using them, making the fight take forever while everyone else yells at them to stop in chat. Found that out a few days ago.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Wait what are you actually supposed to do vs Livia? I thought two had to just sit there and click the ammo pile things while everyone else kills adds and sits on their thumb

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
You click on the ammo piles to reload the mortars, then you fire the mortar at her, then you dance in front of her because now you have aggro. That's it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

acumen posted:

Wait what are you actually supposed to do vs Livia? I thought two had to just sit there and click the ammo pile things while everyone else kills adds and sits on their thumb

You need to activate the cannon and shoot her with it when it's loaded. Doing this makes her aggro to you so you then need to run to the middle so she doesn't shoot the loader or cannons, and you can't help with loading, shooting, or adds until someone else shoots her. This means that ideally you have 3-4 people on each side shifting responsibilities around. In practice like 2 people do anything productive per side and the other four just attack her pointlessly or run around.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

acumen posted:

The Actual Flow of that fight is someone grabs initial aggro and keeps Livia still, two people get the Loaders moving, two people use the cannon on Livia, then run to the center because she aggros on whoever blasts her (her attacks do so little damage that it genuinely doesn't matter who's "tanking" her at a given moment) and you don't want her shooting the cannon and disabling them. Others keep activating the loaders when they finish their runs and keep shooting the cannon.

Adds spawn after hitting her that try and beeline the Magitek Loaders to take them out of commission, everyone else wants to murder these as soon as possible so you can avoid waiting for the Loaders to wake up.

That's really it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lugubrious posted:

Castrum also allows two assholes to camp on the loaded cannons on the Livia-in-armor fight without using them, making the fight take forever while everyone else yells at them to stop in chat. Found that out a few days ago.

At least griefing is reportable

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Prae>Castrum, even though it’s longer. It’s easier to do whatever while the cutscenes play and it’s also easier to crack jokes in chat. Also the slightly better exp.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I am in Prae right now, posting on SA while Lahabrea talks.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The best way to enjoy MSQ Roulette is to use the Personal Orchestrion mod and play Papaya for the entire run. Really sets the mod for Gaius' fascism speech in particular.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Clarste posted:

condolences

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Valentin posted:

i wouldn't ever really want some of the more tedious coils or alex raid fights to come back, but I wouldn't mind a little more variation in how fights function structurally. wow players always talk about council fights, are those interesting? some kind of more aggressively dps race/uptime check kind of fight? i'm just spitballing here i don't play enough MMOs to have real opinions but I just know there have to be more ways to build a fight than phase one, kill adds before a bar fills, phase two (phase one mechanics but faster or overlapping).

Council Fights are real fun (WoW in general has neat boss fights for raiding, and I adore the whole journey into a place and fight your way through mixtures of bosses and trash packs to clear out a huge castle as far as raiding goes). Like, Castle Nathria may have a little too much trash but exploring it and killing the 10 bosses inside feels wonderful in a raid team of your friends. Basically imagine if you got 9-12 bosses in a single patch, in a zone equivalent to all 3 Alliance Raid zones packed together.

Council Fights in FFXIV would be workable in normal raids. The basic idea is three bosses, two can be tanked, one cannot, kill them in a certain order because when one dies the other two are buffer and fully healed. The closest I would say in FFXIV is the Dragon add phase from Nidhogg Extreme. Or the split phase from the final weeping city boss. Or the add phase in Titania.

There’s also Twin Emperor fights, which are split the raid in two to fight two bosses, keep them apart (or together) and kill them at the same time. Which FFXIV also does a bit with add phases, Ruby Weapon EX right at the start of the second phase has one. Hades EX has one during his phase transition.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Clarste posted:

Lahabrea must needs be shut up.

Also on Livia aggro thing, IIRC it doesn't show up the normal way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

Council Fights are real fun (WoW in general has neat boss fights for raiding, and I adore the whole journey into a place and fight your way through mixtures of bosses and trash packs to clear out a huge castle as far as raiding goes). Like, Castle Nathria may have a little too much trash but exploring it and killing the 10 bosses inside feels wonderful in a raid team of your friends. Basically imagine if you got 9-12 bosses in a single patch, in a zone equivalent to all 3 Alliance Raid zones packed together.

Council Fights in FFXIV would be workable in normal raids. The basic idea is three bosses, two can be tanked, one cannot, kill them in a certain order because when one dies the other two are buffer and fully healed. The closest I would say in FFXIV is the Dragon add phase from Nidhogg Extreme. Or the split phase from the final weeping city boss. Or the add phase in Titania.

There’s also Twin Emperor fights, which are split the raid in two to fight two bosses, keep them apart (or together) and kill them at the same time. Which FFXIV also does a bit with add phases, Ruby Weapon EX right at the start of the second phase has one. Hades EX has one during his phase transition.

You should do BA.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
The worst normal raid is Fist of the Son. Ratfinx Twinkledinks has the best name but I have no idea what the mechanics are in that fight. Cuff of the Father is a strong second place though.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

People used to run CM and Prae for tomestones shortly after 2.0 released because with cutscene skipping you could clear Prae in like 10 minutes and get 100 uncapped tomes a run, which was more than Wanderer's Palace and Amdapor Keep gave. I remember the strat for Livia involving loading all four mortars and shooting her with all four at roughly the same time. Did that make the fight any faster? Hell if I know.

My group quickly switched to speedrunning Wanderer's when we wanted tomes once we had some better gear.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

New day, new LP Chapter. The Big Confrontation is getting closer, but like any good Anime Character I need myself a little training arc first.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

You should do BA.

BA is fun as hell and I look forward to getting back into Eureka later.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I guess I need to do dedicate some time to doing Expert Roulette for the next short while, my ilvl is too low to do Pandaemonium.

hopeandjoy posted:

Prae>Castrum, even though it’s longer. It’s easier to do whatever while the cutscenes play and it’s also easier to crack jokes in chat. Also the slightly better exp.

Yep, absolutely.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Lord_Magmar posted:

are council fights standardized at 3 today? my experience with wow has them at 5-ish bosses, usually with one requiring a mage to spellsteal something, or a warlock with sl/sl spec and a resistance set or whatever, maybe one that has an aggro table but can be handled by anyone

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kongming posted:

People used to run CM and Prae for tomestones shortly after 2.0 released because with cutscene skipping you could clear Prae in like 10 minutes and get 100 uncapped tomes a run, which was more than Wanderer's Palace and Amdapor Keep gave. I remember the strat for Livia involving loading all four mortars and shooting her with all four at roughly the same time. Did that make the fight any faster? Hell if I know.

My group quickly switched to speedrunning Wanderer's when we wanted tomes once we had some better gear.

The reason you loaded all four and shot at once was it triggered all the adds at once and made them easier to manage. Now that everyone is i130 (which is 40 ilevel higher than the absolute max when 2.0 came out) even healers can grab and handle adds so the coordination is unnecessary.

You gotta hit her 8 times. Doesn’t matter how.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ibblebibble posted:

BA is fun as hell and I look forward to getting back into Eureka later.
Runs are happening on Primal every goddamn day at this point, honestly - there was one yesterday one today and will be two tomorrow - but I think you're not on Primal DC?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Mister Olympus posted:

are council fights standardized at 3 today? my experience with wow has them at 5-ish bosses, usually with one requiring a mage to spellsteal something, or a warlock with sl/sl spec and a resistance set or whatever, maybe one that has an aggro table but can be handled by anyone

That sounds like Burning Crusade era stuff. Council fights are pretty standardised to three these days, sometimes 4 if there’s some interesting gimmick.

Bosses that need spell steal or warlocks is definitely BC/Wrath era design. The other new type of council fight that I find fun but is kind of rare is the tag in fight. Where you fight 2-3 bosses, and when 1 dies another boss jumps in. The only example off the top of my head is the 9 Klaxxi (mantid people) paragons, who you fight three at a time and have to pick which to kill because of the aforementioned healing thing, and jump down when one dies or on a timer.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Runs are happening on Primal every goddamn day at this point, honestly - there was one yesterday one today and will be two tomorrow - but I think you're not on Primal DC?

I'm on Elemental yeah, JP DCs mostly do lasseiz-faire BA runs, no prior organisation or callouts or anything most of the time outside of one discord server that organises newbie runs on the weekends. I'm just saving getting back into side activities like relics or TT and stuff after I get back to having every job maxed. My relic priority is finishing off the EW ones I never got around to finishing anyway (assuming people are running CLL, DR and Dalriada again).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde
Just finished the main story and I enjoyed every moment. Not only did I like the story, but for the first time in a long time I had trust in it too. It touched on a number of themes I've seen before that others crashed and burned with, but this game really rewarded my faith in it. A++, would Endwalk again.

I'm now scouring Eorzea for tomestones for the new raid series and am delighted to report the new tome equipment has increased my armor's Amano-spike capacity by 50%. I mean, look at this poo poo.

Oh yeah, that's the stuff.