Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

bobjr posted:

When you said saved by Falcon I wasn’t expecting a literal bird to do it

Falcon shows up in the next panel/page, Redwing was his sidekick in the old comics (replacing him with a drone in the Falcon and the Winter Soldier show still bugs me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, the fascinating thing about D'Onofrio's Fisk is that it's never entirely clear how much is a ruse to enhance his power in the underworld and how much is the scared, abused little boy he was clumsily reaching out for human connections and getting slapped away.

yeah i was being too simplistic, in that Fisk probably does believe what he's saying. but it's simultaneously a very useful way for him to maintain loyalty and he would no doubt kill her if he thought she turned on him, he'd just feel bad about it -- lots of good gangster characters straddle that line really well where you can't piece it apart

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
When it comes to superheroes on 9/11 I prefer this story.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Uh, maybe don't post :filez:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There's a lot that I really loved in the episode.

Kate going one on one with the Kingpin and winning, but barely. It shows that she is indeed brave and has what it takes to be a hero, and Kingpin likely could've killed her pretty easily but that wasn't his goal. But it still makes Kate look like a legit badass.

Kate and Yelena's fighting, where again, Kate is outclassed but just doesn't give up. Yelena was also just amused by it, though you could tell she genuinely likes Kate. The two of them need to be put together again now. Just give me a mini-series of Kate and Yelena visiting tourist spots, I don't care.

Also you could tell Yelena wanted to blame Clint for Nat's death, but she also wanted a reason to not kill him. Clint didn't really fight back, and in talking to Yelena, he reached some closure on Natasha's death as well. It was a good character moment for both of them.

Jack turning out to be a goofy, charming guy who just REALLY loves swords was amazing. I hope we get to see him again, just living his best life while playing with swords.

The climactic fight scene on the ice was extremely well done. Great fight choreography and the trick arrows were great. Loved the electromagnetic one, and the Pym shrinking sequence was hilarious.

"Kate, you're my partner." :3:

I really hope we get a season two of this, or get to see Kate and Yelena leading a film with Clint as their work at home mentor or something.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I would 100% be down for a Swordsman D+ show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I can't have been the only one wondering what the hell MCU Scott Lang would say if he got the call mentioned, right? "Uhh, I dunno, dude, I got a button on the suit that makes me big or small, and my daughter had a 6 foot ant as a pet until it died while half the world was Magic Sand."

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lmao at all the goons saying last week "that was definitely a men's watch!" I forgot to post but you could clearly see it was a pink dial and jewel encrusted with a smaller diameter that clearly indicated it was a women's watch.

Finale was enjoyable enough. I'd say this is tied with Wandavsion for my 2nd favorite series behind Loki.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 22, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Gaz-L posted:

Uh, maybe don't post :filez:

How is the read comics online site :filez:? I got to it with Google.

From the episode I loved Jack and the 9 year old. "Remember when you peed your pants in the Hamptons? I do. Everybody does.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Everyone posted:

From the episode I loved Jack and the 9 year old. "Remember when you peed your pants in the Hamptons? I do. Everybody does.

I really hope that season two or whatever film Kate features in next has Jack and the LARPers as her permanent support team. Clint would be fine too, but I do like him just retiring, beyond being the ace in the hole they can call on occasionally, if need be. It'd be great to see Laura get in on the action at some point too. I just want to see Jack having a dumb time in Central Park with the rest of the LARP team though, honestly. I kind of hope he stays with Eleanor too, despite her setting him up. He doesn't seem to give a gently caress.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Everyone posted:

I also loved Grills carrying him out while he screamed 'don't you know who I am?!'. That kid was great

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I gotta say I *cheered* when tall lady larper just up and whacked the TSM guy. And then Friar Tuck guy did the belly bounce thing. oh yeah, normies heroes!

Wandavision is still my #1 but this is solid #2.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Rarity posted:

I also loved Grills carrying him out while he screamed 'don't you know who I am?!'. That kid was great

I am really impressed by the way they stuck that landing. After last episode, I had no idea how they would do that, since there were just so many factions involved. But they really did give most of them a fine resolution. Lot's of (well labeled) trick arrows. A good way to show that Clint and Natasha were really close.
That watch was a bit of a stupid McGuffin which doesn't really make sense in the plot, but I'm willing to forgive that one.

This is my favorite MCU D+ show so far. Probably also beating the Nexflix stuff.
I'm mostly just happy that this show ended up as fun as I imagined it, when it was announced. Always loved Kate and Hailee Steinfeld is a treasure.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Everyone posted:

It's a pirate site

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

cant cook creole bream posted:

That watch was a bit of a stupid McGuffin which doesn't really make sense in the plot, but I'm willing to forgive that one.

The watch and the Ronin gear were all up for auction in the same general lot. Probably came out of the same storage box Clint had them stuffed in. Maybe he carried the watch around as a memento while he was Ronin, and decided to shelve it all after Nat brought him back.

Maya was looking for Ronin. The suit doesn't help her with that, maybe she thought the watch that came along with it would (and maybe it did, which is why Kate finds the watch and a list of Clint's family in Maya's apartment).

Also, you don't get to be an Avenger unless you've got a body count. Them's the rules. Good on Kate for stepping up and proving she can hang with Earth's Mightiest! :razz:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I don't think Spider-Man has actively killed anyone yet

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rarity posted:

He murdered Mysterio, he's a threat and/or menace.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
^^:argh: Serves me right for spending a minute remembering his name.

Rarity posted:

Haven't you seen Far from Home? That menace killed the noble hero Quentin Beck!

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

biracial bear for uncut posted:

That was a malfunctioning Doombot! :doom:

EDIT: As if Juggernaut or Magneto would give a gently caress about 9/11 except to be mad they didn't do it first.

Juggernaut knocked over one of the World Trade Center buildings in X-Force #4 and laughed his rear end off about it.

https://imgur.com/a/uhT4I

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Retrowave Joe posted:

Juggernaut knocked over one of the World Trade Center buildings in X-Force #4 and laughed his rear end off about it.

Yeah, but when he does it it's radical and cool. You just can't stay mad at that little scamp. Boys will be boys. Besides, his brother failed to supervise him, so in a sense it's all his fault.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 23, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ignis posted:

It's a pirate site

Okay. But it would seem that it's an easily accessible and highly visible pirate site that has yet to be shut down by Warner Brothers and/or Marvel. So presumably they're at least tacitly allowing it to operate freely.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you need another point of reference, waaaaaay back around Captain America #147, Fisk pretty much kicked Cap's rear end until Falcon showed up to help him (because Fisk was in the middle of getting back in touch with a son of his that worked for Hydra and Cap barged in to gently caress things up).

Here, found these via Google/Wikipedia/image searches.

Then the Red Skull shows up and announces his latest diabolical plan to destroy the world, so Cap/Falcon/Fisk team up and stop him in #148.

It's important to note at this point in time Cap did not have super powers as we think of today. The super soldier serum originally took Cap to the peak of physical fitness for a human. But it was still human levels. It's only been in more recent history that Cap has been presented as superhuman.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Ultimates started the idea of superhuman Cap in the early 2000s, I think? I've no idea when the mainline 616 comics made the change, but it probably involved stupifying complex retcons with Cap going back in time to shoot himself up with new serum or some poo poo.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

That was a malfunctioning Doombot! :doom:

EDIT: As if Juggernaut or Magneto would give a gently caress about 9/11 except to be mad they didn't do it first.

ummm... i got some news for you about the juggernaut...

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
There almost needs to be a link on Disney+ to the scene that shows why Clint and Laura were really wary of involving Maya's boss.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Something I didn't like about this show is that the tracksuit mafia are so incompetent that when jack and Kate and Clint are killing them it just seems heartless and unnecessary. Especially when Clint shot off that explosion that killed a bunch of dudes who might have lived.

All in all a pretty good show but make them actually seem competent IMO

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'm ok with their deaths as they enjoy maroon 5

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Jack spin-off or Hawkeye S2 with Kate and Jack please.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

Something I didn't like about this show is that the tracksuit mafia are so incompetent that when jack and Kate and Clint are killing them it just seems heartless and unnecessary. Especially when Clint shot off that explosion that killed a bunch of dudes who might have lived.

All in all a pretty good show but make them actually seem competent IMO

They weren't killing them. That exploding arrow was behind them to knock them down since they were getting back up.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

My completely stupid :tinfoil: theory about the "big bad" Kingpin: It was a Skrull impersonating the Kingpin. It would explain the superhuman strength and durability. The real Kingpin is still in jail or was kidnapped by the Skrulls like in Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

So is there being a Broadway show about Loki's attack on New York City kind of like there being a Broadway show about 9/11, based on the response to the attack in universe?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

bobjr posted:

So is there being a Broadway show about Loki's attack on New York City kind of like there being a Broadway show about 9/11, based on the response to the attack in universe?

One of the most successful broadway shows in real life is about 9/11.

They just adapted it into a prime-time TV broadcast this year for the 20th anniversary too.

https://www.salon.com/2021/09/10/come-from-away-review-apple-tv-plus/

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

bobjr posted:

Eh, nah. The musical is about Steve Rogers, and that was a moment in his life. Like if Captain America did exist in the real world and all the poo poo happened and he was there to help save the world, there would be musicals and movies out the rear end.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

no because the incident ended with the avengers saving the day and 911 ended with america going all in on war crimes and domestic surveillance

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

tsob posted:

Clint would be fine too, but I do like him just retiring, beyond being the ace in the hole they can call on occasionally, if need be.

Clint in the next big Avengers movie:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So, my cousin pointed out to me I realized while watching the finale that the reason that Ant-Man is in Rogers the Musical is the time travel from Endgame.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

MH Knights posted:

My completely stupid :tinfoil: theory about the "big bad" Kingpin: It was a Skrull impersonating the Kingpin. It would explain the superhuman strength and durability. The real Kingpin is still in jail or was kidnapped by the Skrulls like in Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Kingpin was Mephisto

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Senerio posted:

So, my cousin pointed out to me I realized while watching the finale that the reason that Ant-Man is in Rogers the Musical is the time travel from Endgame.

I'd already forgotten the time travel rules they set up in the MCU, but didn't they say that anything they changed in the past would just become an alternate timeline and not affect their own? That's why it didn't matter if the infinity stones were taken or not. Many Worlds vs. Back to the Future sort of thing.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

tsob posted:

Seems perfectly in line with me. It obviously wasn't a particularly sentimental thing given that Hawkeye didn't actually care much about it, just left it in the Avenger's compound and never even checked on it after the compound's destruction. It was just a thing that was potentially problematic once it came out that he wanted to deal with; just another small problem to drag him into the story, basically.

They want to feel like heroes too, and not just like first responders.

There's power in a uniform - be it a first responder, a Disneyland Guest Service individual, or anything else. By changing from 'suspiciously competent wait staff' into 'half-rate hero attire' in the Marvel universe gets them more cred from the average folks to "no, run THIS way to safety!"

Also I'm glad they made use of the LARPers in the last episode. There's someone in upper Marvel creative that is a fuckin' MASSIVE nerd. I mean, between Goldblum coming to the LARP I attend (Twin Mask, SoCal - come join us!), an early Renn Faire in Loki, to Hawkeye.... and I'm glad they're doing this poo poo. I mean, gently caress, they had conspicuous BOFFERS hanging on the wall in Episode 6 - a staple of half the LARP households I know!

Erev fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

MH Knights posted:

There are so many little-to-not so little differences about him that they're either playing it vague because they haven't decided yet or he's straight up a variant of the Netflix Kingpin.