Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

e.pilot and I just got very good news. We just got a proper LTD, better scope, and a slight increase to retirement. Atlas management must have been terrified of attrition after our horrible arbitration result. I suspected they were as shocked as we were by the arbitration, as their proposals during arbitration were clearly a lovely bluff that they never expected to win.

The arbitrator turned out to be blatantly anti-labor to the point of being harmful to the corporation as a whole and now they are trying to improve on his ruling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oops hit quote instead of edit. VVV

Rolo fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 22, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My biggest problem is still my total time. I have 4 type ratings, jet PIC time and a FlightSafety job on my resume but my total time is only about 2200 because the training job was in the sim. I'm going to apply anyways because duh but I'm not expecting to grab a legacy job yet.

Animal posted:

e.pilot and I just got very good news. We just got a proper LTD, better scope, and a slight increase to retirement. Atlas management must have been terrified of attrition after our horrible arbitration result. I suspected they were as shocked as we were by the arbitration, as their proposals during arbitration were clearly a lovely bluff that they never expected to win.

The arbitrator turned out to be blatantly anti-labor to the point of being harmful to the corporation as a whole and now they are trying to improve on his ruling.

That's interesting, I was wondering what was gonna happen with that. Happy for you two!

Rolo fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 22, 2021

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Animal posted:

Uhh, congrats that the arb award was so lovely and unsupportable that the company considered it unfair? Is this in any way going to stem the evacuation when AA is hiring 45 pilots per week in 2022?

Your arbitration was one of the biggest WTF moments in my aviation career and I've seen some really lovely results in my time.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

ausgezeichnet posted:

Uhh, congrats that the arb award was so lovely and unsupportable that the company considered it unfair? Is this in any way going to stem the evacuation when AA is hiring 45 pilots per week in 2022?

Your arbitration was one of the biggest WTF moments in my aviation career and I've seen some really lovely results in my time.

*insert meme of guy slapping tape on big leaking water tank*

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Rolo posted:

My biggest problem is still my total time. I have 4 type ratings, jet PIC time and a FlightSafety job on my resume but my total time is only about 2200 because the training job was in the sim. I'm going to apply anyways because duh but I'm not expecting to grab a legacy job yet.

I wouldn't be super worried about that tbh. My sim partner at swa only had about 2k total and about 75(!) multi. He was prior mil but it can happen.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Wow poo poo I need to get these applications done. I’m just finishing updating some of the specific logbook numbers I didn’t used to track like night instrument.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I have zero 121 experience and other than 10 hours in a Skyhawk, no hours out of the military. I ask this question out of ignorance and mean no offense: why are you guys at Atlas? Why not drop apps somewhere else that does offer some benefits?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Bob A Feet posted:

I have zero 121 experience and other than 10 hours in a Skyhawk, no hours out of the military. I ask this question out of ignorance and mean no offense: why are you guys at Atlas? Why not drop apps somewhere else that does offer some benefits?

The job is awesome, great pilot group, they buy you airplane tickets and hotels to go to and from work, and now pay and other things are good enough. I make about $250k and have a good life. I have way more time off than my peers at other airlines. I work very little. Often when I go to work its like a paid vacation. COVID has made it tougher, but I used to have 5 day layovers in downtown Sydney in a 5 star hotel. Or 2 nights in Naples, Italy. Or a whole week in Japan, so I would go hang out with my in-laws in Tokyo where I would spend my time buying wrist watches. Some dudes literally have second families in South America. Almost everyone I know who left Atlas to go anywhere else say the same thing: they love their new paychecks and contracts, but they miss Atlas. Buddies at UPS say its a shitshow and they hate it but they make a lot of money. Buddies at Delta say they are bored out of their minds and can't stand their coworkers. Atlas was the highlight of their careers now that they are flying a 737 or Airbus 320 on what is basically regional pilot flying.

I think its a fantastic job for someone like you with military experience to skip the regionals and get excellent work experience all around the world, before you move on to Delta or United or Fedex or whatever other boring job.

e.pilot travels around the world occasionally flying a heavy jet, with a portable bicycle in a briefcase, and makes six figures. Thats literally his job.

Animal fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 23, 2021

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

First thing I said to my wife

management must be shook losing 500 pilots this year to give this big of a concession only a few weeks after ram rodding that arbitration through

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

The job is awesome
:words:
e.pilot travels around the world occasionally flying a heavy jet, with a portable bicycle in a briefcase, and makes six figures. Thats literally his job.

big time this

here’s what I did last week
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933899&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=277#post520058175

My family isn’t too big on holidays so I bid a trip that has me traversing Europe for the holidays, culminating with being on the beach in Spain for 3 days. I’ll be spending a week on the road to fly 3 whole legs.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Animal posted:

The job is awesome, great pilot group, they buy you airplane tickets and hotels to go to and from work, and now pay and other things are good enough. I make about $250k and have a good life. I have way more time off than my peers at other airlines. I work very little. Often when I go to work its like a paid vacation. COVID has made it tougher, but I used to have 5 day layovers in downtown Sydney in a 5 star hotel. Or 2 nights in Naples, Italy. Or a whole week in Japan, so I would go hang out with my in-laws in Tokyo where I would spend my time buying wrist watches. Some dudes literally have second families in South America. Almost everyone I know who left Atlas to go anywhere else say the same thing: they love their new paychecks and contracts, but they miss Atlas. Buddies at UPS say its a shitshow and they hate it but they make a lot of money. Buddies at Delta say they are bored out of their minds and can't stand their coworkers. Atlas was the highlight of their careers now that they are flying a 737 or Airbus 320 on what is basically regional pilot flying.

I think its a fantastic job for someone like you with military experience to skip the regionals and get excellent work experience all around the world, before you move on to Delta or United or Fedex or whatever other boring job.

this is what I was thinking when I asked the question. I’m transitioning out this year and I’ll be applying to some of the big companies but also to Atlas and probably Netjets for the reasons you listed: lifestyle and it’s not boring.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Bob A Feet posted:

this is what I was thinking when I asked the question. I’m transitioning out this year and I’ll be applying to some of the big companies but also to Atlas and probably Netjets for the reasons you listed: lifestyle and it’s not boring.

Atlas is definitely a better choice than NetJets. Everything I hear about that place makes me cringe. We have guys who used to be at NetJet and they all say the move was an upgrade.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

NetJets: the Official Company of "Hey do you mind if we put on Fox News?"

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MrChips posted:

NetJets: the Official Company of "Hey do you mind if we put on Fox News?"

Then falling asleep next to you and snoring loud as poo poo.

Or if you’re the one sleeping answering a phone call and having a full conversation next to you.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

So my job is actually going pretty well, except that I can’t sign off any work on a temporary A&P, company policy. So I check on it since my Part 65 isn’t showing up in the airmen registry, email the FAA about it.

They come back today, tell me they haven’t received the application. I email my DME and he says he sent it in just before Thanksgiving, like the 21st. What the gently caress do I do now? Kinda need it soon.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Bit of a breeze at 37000 feet today.

Edit: that's 700 mph :drat:

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 26, 2021

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
600 club :agesilaus:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

*carefully positions finger to cover the zero*

nice

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hi, I'm not an aviation person, but I saw this for DCA, and am wondering if there are similar maps for other airports? Looking for the MSP one specifically. thanks!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

21 years at it and I finally broke ten thousand hours of flying. Hopefully I learned something along the way.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Arson Daily posted:

21 years at it and I finally broke ten thousand hours of flying. Hopefully I learned something along the way.

According to Malcolm gladwell that means you’re an expert now

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Ten thousand, that’s a loving whole lot. What’s your breakdown? What have you flown most? What was most fun to fly? Best company? Worst company?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Bob A Feet posted:

Ten thousand, that’s a loving whole lot. What’s your breakdown? What have you flown most? What was most fun to fly? Best company? Worst company?

Flying checks single pilot taught me how fly, period. In the weather, at night, no automation and being by yourself helps you focus on what's important and safe. I'll never be a better stick and rudder pilot than I was then. Both my air ambulance jobs taught me that all air ambulance companies are insurance scammers and that the whole industry should be nationalized. Get the national guard or Air Force reserve to do it. Atlas showed me the world and I'm forever grateful for that experience but it would have been untenable to stay there when my daughter came. Southwest is a great place to work, but let's be honest it's regional flying at a higher pay scale. Working there has taught me to savor the little moments of joy you get doing this job, since most of the new and exciting stuff is largely behind me. I'll probably spend the rest of my career in the same airplane going to largely the same places, so it's important to slow down a little and try to find something unique in your day to day. Also, live in base gently caress commuting foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I’m just a US PPL of 120ish hours by civilian certs, but I’m also now an aeronautically rated cadet in US Air Force ROTC. My packet is finalized and heading into the Rated Board end of this month, and in descending order, I’ll be considered for Pilot, Navigator/CSO, RPA Pilot, and Air Battle Manager.

It’s looking pretty good for pilot, my Pilot Candidate Selection Method score is 87, and I’m doing well on almost all metrics. My navigator score is 76.

I can’t tell you what it is LIKE to be a USAF pilot or a flyer, but I can tell you how to get to this point and what do you need to do. Nothing remains for me besides hearing the results.

Getting to this point was pretty weird for a 30 year old, and the process has not been clear at all, but if someone has questions, I’m happy to answer. I don’t know what kind of commissioning sources other USAF folks here have, so sorry if I’m repeating something.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Wow cool. 10 years ago I would have said you had a snowballs chance in hell getting into the AF as a pilot that old. Crazy how times have changed. So much depends on timing and “the needs of the Air Force”

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I’d already be too old but since I enlisted for four years in the US Army, each enlisted year is counted away from the age limit. I’m very lucky though.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
You couldn’t pay me enough to go back into the military.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

e.pilot posted:

You couldn’t pay me enough to go back into the military.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Welp good thing the pilot (no passengers on board) got out :fuckoff:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-59946362

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Strategic Tea posted:

Welp good thing the pilot (no passengers on board) got out :fuckoff:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-59946362

Not the kind of advanced training GA pilots need.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I had one student who kept wearing shorts in winter and I’d always tell him it’s not just an emergency landing you need to worry about.

It’s when you land ok and you’re waiting for search and rescue but die from the train that hits you while you’re wearing those stupid rear end basketball shorts in January.

Or something I don’t remember it was 2014.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

It’s when you land ok and you’re waiting for search and rescue but die from the train that hits you while you’re wearing those stupid rear end basketball shorts in January.

A tale as old as time

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Or just wear a parachute, bail out at the first sign of trouble, then glide to safety.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Zero One posted:

Or just wear a parachute, bail out at the first sign of trouble, then glide to safety.

the number of people that say 'wow you fly little planes? that's gotta be scary! I guess you've got a parachute at least' is astonishingly far from zero

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Ask them why they don’t wear a helmet and HANS device when they drive to work.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

the number of people that say 'wow you fly little planes? that's gotta be scary! I guess you've got a parachute at least' is astonishingly far from zero

That’s when you drop your ridge wallet code.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Zero One posted:

Mag check drops more than 50 rpm -> deploy chute directly into propeller.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

i get the same. probably half the people i've taken up, if it's their first time, have asked whether they get a parachute.

they also think that if the engine stops, the plane will just dive for the ground like a Stuka.

i blame both of these misconceptions on movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
For most people, literally the only exposure they have to small planes is in like, world war 2 flicks.

And yeah, if you're expecting a big crowd of people with flak and/or machine guns to actively be trying to make your plane unflyable, you're gonna have a parachute.