Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

aw frick

reaper's really really fun, you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Reaper is a lot like Stormblood era Samurai where it's just much much slicker than it's direct competition.

Job good.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Enshroud feels really, really satisfying.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm still maining ninja so far, but I'm pretty tempted to cash in my raid tokens for reaper gear to switch over. Honestly I picked ninja in the first place as much because it was the new class when I started playing as much as anything, so picking the new hotness again as the game transitions into whatever comes next seems kind of appropriate. I can always just buy crafted gear later if I miss ninja anyway.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
can anyone whose put more effort into optimizing reaper than me speak to how easy or annoying it is to hold resources for raid buff alignment

It feels good when you just dump your gauge instantly but I'm afraid it'll feel less good when you're juggling things in the 50-100 gauge range

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I should probably go through EW on at least one other character that has some different jobs leveled to 80, my main's a sage with a splash of dancer so I'm mainly trying to decide if I wanna do it again as a Gunbreaker or Ninja...or maybe Black Mage. How do those guys feel now that we've had a chance to play them in full context of raids and all?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I'll play reaper as soon as they put the hot shot type thing on the job gauge

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

My one FFXIV regret is I can only play one job at a time / I can only main one job.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Maybe I'm misremembering how often they mention it, but does anyone else find it weird that everyone seems perfectly cool with calling the whole planet Etheirys now because one moon ghost and some bunnies called it that?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mister Olympus posted:

I'll play reaper as soon as they put the hot shot type thing on the job gauge

That is on a meter, you get 5 attacks not a time limit. They already have three meters, and one of them shows two resources at once!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

My one FFXIV regret is I can only play one job at a time / I can only main one job.

They should let us change jobs mid combat like in the Shadowbringer trailer.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering how often they mention it, but does anyone else find it weird that everyone seems perfectly cool with calling the whole planet Etheirys now because one moon ghost and some bunnies called it that?

Slightly but considering that we're dealing a lot more with Hydalyn-the-being now it's warranted I feel.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Leal posted:

They should let us change jobs mid combat like in the Shadowbringer trailer.

It'd be a total mess without jobs built with it in mind. Or you just get people cycling jobs to pop particular cooldowns.

https://twitter.com/Pwisterr/status/1470617298184585220?s=20

(can't remember if I originally saw this in this thread)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Reaper is a lot like Stormblood era Samurai where it's just much much slicker than it's direct competition.

Job good.

Now I worry how it'll feel after the next expansion cause samurai got way clunkier to me. :ohdear:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Oxyclean posted:

It'd be a total mess without jobs built with it in mind. Or you just get people cycling jobs to pop particular cooldowns.

https://twitter.com/Pwisterr/status/1470617298184585220?s=20

(can't remember if I originally saw this in this thread)

I saw that on Twitter! I was hoping it'd get posted. If anyone's a Sonic Adventure fan they should absolutely listen with the sound on

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

What the gently caress am I doing wrong on the caster DPS role finale?

I get to the point where you kill adds, stand behind the friendly NPC that’s supposed to be shielding me, and I’m still getting one shot

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Regalingualius posted:

What the gently caress am I doing wrong on the caster DPS role finale?

I get to the point where you kill adds, stand behind the friendly NPC that’s supposed to be shielding me, and I’m still getting one shot

Use your barrier, either Magic Barrier for RDM, manaward for BLM, or Radiant Aegis for Summoner. It's suppose to be turbo skin of your teeth.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

And right after I post that, I finally beat it

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Eimi posted:

Now I worry how it'll feel after the next expansion cause samurai got way clunkier to me. :ohdear:

To be fair, they went back on that and now Samurai feels smooth as butter (as someone who found the weird rotation in ShB awkward and clunky).

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
When Fuga upgrades to Fuko you can just straight spin to win, only generally stopping for your standard Goken breaks since Iaijutsu still needs a target (well, and Goken and Ogi Namikiri, but you're not constantly using those).

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I loved what they did with SAM, but… fuuuuck, now SMN is legitimately great to play now

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Finished the new raids! They were pretty good.

P1 was probably my least favorite, I never did figure out that board game mechanic. Is it just that he attacks all the colors he's pointing at? I just followed other people for that one.

The others were all really fun, with P4 being my favorite, that was just a lot of really cool mechanics, and a great design. I wasn't expecting this raid series to start with Castlevania, including a character that is literally SotN Dracula but with glasses.

I guess I'd rank 'em: P4 > P2 > P3 > P1. The Phoinix was fine, but it was really hard to make out some of the tells against the background, and this is literally the third time we've fought a phoenix, c'mon guys.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Begemot posted:

P1 was probably my least favorite, I never did figure out that board game mechanic. Is it just that he attacks all the colors he's pointing at? I just followed other people for that one.

The others were all really fun, with P4 being my favorite, that was just a lot of really cool mechanics, and a great design. I wasn't expecting this raid series to start with Castlevania, including a character that is literally SotN Dracula but with glasses.

I guess I'd rank 'em: P4 > P2 > P3 > P1. The Phoinix was fine, but it was really hard to make out some of the tells against the background, and this is literally the third time we've fought a phoenix, c'mon guys.

To answer a question depending on the board game, he either gives you a fire or ice debuff and then explodes the crystals in the quadrants from the bottom up. So if you have fire debuff you need to be hit by an ice spell and vice versa. Being hit by a spell gives you a matching debuff so you have to alternate ice and fire. The other board game he either will explode all the orange/red or green/white sections of the floor, based on the colour of the swirly magic around him (if the swirly is orange it's the orange floor, if the swirly is green it's the other one).

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Begemot posted:

Lord_Magmar posted:

To answer a question depending on the board game, he either gives you a fire or ice debuff and then explodes the crystals in the quadrants from the bottom up. So if you have fire debuff you need to be hit by an ice spell and vice versa. Being hit by a spell gives you a matching debuff so you have to alternate ice and fire. The other board game he either will explode all the orange/red or green/white sections of the floor, based on the colour of the swirly magic around him (if the swirly is orange it's the orange floor, if the swirly is green it's the other one).

And to add to that: He'll start doing his Larboard/Starboard chain swipes during/shortly after both mechanics so you gotta watch for what side is safe on top of doing the floor mechanic correctly.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Lord_Magmar posted:

Ahhhh okay, it was the second one I was having trouble with. I guess there were too many skill effects going off, I couldn't see the swirls. I may have to change everything to reduced effects, it's really gotten out of hand

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Begemot posted:

That is on a meter, you get 5 attacks not a time limit. They already have three meters, and one of them shows two resources at once!

not overheat, hot shot. from back when hot shot used to be a self buff on the gcd with no separate cooldown, back in-

oh god is my frame of reference for machinist THAT old

e: though the example does say something, doesn't it? that death's design (finally looked at the name) is really weird and out of place with the way jobs work nowadays

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 23, 2021

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Death's Design kind of has to be a debuff the way it works to siphon soul gauge to you, unfortunately. I don't mind it, I've got my debuff indicators nice and big right under the gauge anyway.

It works really well in AoE but yeah its kinda dumb for a single target boss.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Kerrzhe posted:

Death's Design kind of has to be a debuff the way it works to siphon soul gauge to you, unfortunately. I don't mind it, I've got my debuff indicators nice and big right under the gauge anyway.

I kind of wish the third hit of the combo gave it 15 more seconds. As it is the combo doesn't really have a purpose besides being filler.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

DeathSandwich posted:

Use your barrier, either Magic Barrier for RDM, manaward for BLM, or Radiant Aegis for Summoner. It's suppose to be turbo skin of your teeth.

I have no memory of using Manaward, but I also wasn't thinking about it very much.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

I kind of wish the third hit of the combo gave it 15 more seconds. As it is the combo doesn't really have a purpose besides being filler.

I feel the same way, but it's clicked in my brain now that "ah, none of my fancy buttons are up and I am just gonna use the filler combo, now is a good time to see how much time left is on--- god damnit when did it fall off" and then i can refresh it :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

DeathSandwich posted:

…It is????

I went in there with AF gear and a smattering of level 89 dungeon accessories and didn’t seem to take any noteworthy damage.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
When the new craftable 580 combat gear drops with Savage, what sort of prices should I expect to pay? I realize this is fundamentally unknowable, but should I be prepared to cough up 200k/piece or more in the ballpark of 2 million/piece?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Is it just me, or does a lot of the dungeon/leveling gear in this expansion kick rear end?

Like the only kinda boring set I’ve worn was the Striking set from 88-89, and even that has a steampunk clock hat.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Gobbeldygook posted:

When the new craftable 580 combat gear drops with Savage, what sort of prices should I expect to pay? I realize this is fundamentally unknowable, but should I be prepared to cough up 200k/piece or more in the ballpark of 2 million/piece?

Depends on how quickly you want it. First pieces will probably be listed for millions, but expect a couple hundred thousand or less by the day after. Maybe even later on release day.

Crafting is easier than ever and more people are doing it, so only expect high prices on limited items or if you want something literally when it releases.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I took a peak at what the balance is saying for optimizing high-end reaper play and wow it looks awful lol

I think I'll stick to raiding on drg

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Materia, on the other hand, is only ever going to get higher as people chew through it to pentameld. I think I'll do my first-slot overmelding with 8s this time, at least.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Materia remains the thing I can't be bothered to care about dealing with, I just hoard it and I think 120+ slots on one of my retainers is just materia lol

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I don't think I'm going to overmeld my combat gear this time unless I suddenly stumble into a static or something. I did it some in Shadowbringers and while it's fun to be able to say that I've got my maximum stat allocations, I just don't do the sort of content that realistically is going to benefit that much from it.

Or I guess I could just overmeld VIIs if I really wanted, I have over 1000 of the VII crystals still sitting on a retainer.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I got 2 million from selling my materia IXs for 50k apiece to people who want to overmeld when savage drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Regalingualius posted:

Is it just me, or does a lot of the dungeon/leveling gear in this expansion kick rear end?

Like the only kinda boring set I’ve worn was the Striking set from 88-89, and even that has a steampunk clock hat.

Its a lot of recolours so I've been disappointed overall, but there's definitely some great stuff mixed in. the level 85 stuff is great.