Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Then let's do it, I've seen so many "Let's do a forum <x> game" which then don't actually go ahead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Does anyone know a good YouTube channel for ASL? I am learning from this Polish guy with a good set up, but I want to see a game played at high complexity end of the system.

I don't actively play ASL but I have an interest in it, and have been watching some videos by a channel called Advanced Squad Leader Academy lately. Seems fine?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’d love to read along a EotS thread. It’s a game I’ve never gotten to the table, and I’d like to see it played in small, digestible chunks.

On another note, Triumph and Tragedy just charged for p500! If it ships in time, I might be able to get it to the table over the holidays.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
I'd definitely participate in a group EotS adventure

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I'm down for EotS as a staff officer. I live in the EST and afternoons are best for me.

Question: If we disagree with another member of the staff are we allowed to assassinate them?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Ithle01 posted:

I'm down for EotS as a staff officer. I live in the EST and afternoons are best for me.

Question: If we disagree with another member of the staff are we allowed to assassinate them?

I believe if you're going to be the IJN and IJA, it's inevitable.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Panzeh posted:

I believe if you're going to be the IJN and IJA, it's inevitable.

We all fight in the service of the Emperor, which includes killing people who we don't agree with, even if they also (claim to) fight for the Emperor.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
So, i'm willing to moderate the game or play as the Allies. We'll need someone who's knowledgable in the rules(probably me or Tekopo) to take the moderator and Allied roles. If we end up in a situation where the Japanese end up in a passive role, we can always switch the sides if need be. The moderator would be there to give advice and do the Vassal module stuff.

A few other options:

1941 or 1942 start? The 1941 start consists of a largely solitaire set of Japanese moves that form the initial invasions, it can be much more optimized than how the 1942 start does but, perhaps it wouldn't be so bad to give the IJN/IJA staff a bit of a boost given their lack of game knowledge.

Historical Hand or no? The second turn(first third of 1942) in the historical hand setup has three powerful military events to help the Japanese launch large scale invasions in the opening phase of the game. There are still four additional random events to go with it.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Panzeh posted:

So, i'm willing to moderate the game or play as the Allies. We'll need someone who's knowledgable in the rules(probably me or Tekopo) to take the moderator and Allied roles. If we end up in a situation where the Japanese end up in a passive role, we can always switch the sides if need be. The moderator would be there to give advice and do the Vassal module stuff.

A few other options:

1941 or 1942 start? The 1941 start consists of a largely solitaire set of Japanese moves that form the initial invasions, it can be much more optimized than how the 1942 start does but, perhaps it wouldn't be so bad to give the IJN/IJA staff a bit of a boost given their lack of game knowledge.

Historical Hand or no? The second turn(first third of 1942) in the historical hand setup has three powerful military events to help the Japanese launch large scale invasions in the opening phase of the game. There are still four additional random events to go with it.
1941 start is just japanese cheese and you learn nothing from doing it because nobody plays 1941.
Historical Hand seems to be the default as per Herman now.
Can also do the moderator role if required to make it so that you/Tek can concentrate on being the evil American Imperialists.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I’d love to read along a EotS thread. It’s a
On another note, Triumph and Tragedy just charged for p500! If it ships in time, I might be able to get it to the table over the holidays.

It sounds like they’ve got a boatload of games awaiting distro, so I think you’ll get it in time.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm currently trying to learn MBT and I was wondering if there's a guide out there for how I should progress through adding the advanced rules to the game as I play more games. For instance, one of the first things I think I'd want to add is the full AP weapon rules, and at some point I'd want to add GP weapons and infantry. But there are a lot of rules and I don't yet have the experience to know which other ones I'd want to add and in which order, and which sections in the rulebook cover them.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah I'd be up for taking up the Americans.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
So when are we starting Anime weebs?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

NWS Wargaming store used to be a one-man op offering lots of stuff for close to distributor prices, but then his dad died, then his wife died, and now he also died, all in one year.

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.1de3fc2c

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
drat, that sucks. Not sure what else can be said about a run of misfortune like that.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Facebook war gaming groups are the worst.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Facebook war gaming groups are the worst.

I wonder if that game that modeled Italian soldiers needing more water to cook pasta with had an innovative take on the fiber input of the meals soldiers ate to extrapolate bowel movements from.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I don't recall that in Campaign for North Africa, no

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
If there isn't already an addon for World In Flames, I am sure it's probably in the pipeline.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Roll on the fecal result table, but column shift for the national army you’re representing.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Food, boredom, and feces? Great news for "Clinton Shill:" there's a game that's modeled around this Holy Trinity and it's called The Sims.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Trolling Thunder posted:

Food, boredom, and feces? Great news for "Clinton Shill:" there's a game that's modeled around this Holy Trinity and it's called The Sims.

lol he must have a thing for prisons and/or boot camps so the sims is perfect

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

All they need is to add die rolls to the Bristol Stool Chart.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

i only got into this thing maybe 6 7 years ago?
so in a lot of ways i am spoilt in terms of choice and modern designs.

it was seriously pretty sobering to look up wargame stuff outside of SA.

i mean like sometimes you create an edge case and so you end up on Consimworld or BGG chasing an answer then do the :catstare: as you decide whether or not to necro a 6 year old thread to either ask a new question or flame the gently caress out of everyone in it

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Panzeh posted:

Should be doable, for me. I may be a bit too busy tomorrow for that, but can do that next week.

So, is everything alright for today? Can we get a game going?

Don't have PM but you can send me a mail to

m a t z e w e l v e r at w e b . d e

Vassal is ready and the South Pacific mod is good to go.

If not, no problem.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Selecta84 posted:

So, is everything alright for today? Can we get a game going?

Don't have PM but you can send me a mail to

m a t z e w e l v e r at w e b . d e

Vassal is ready and the South Pacific mod is good to go.

If not, no problem.

Yeah, we're good for it- i'll shoot you an e-mail but you should get the EotS vassal module and the south pacific save instead, the South Pacific mod is missing a couple of fairly critical things(I couldn't find the FoQ, for instance).

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, we're good for it- i'll shoot you an e-mail but you should get the EotS vassal module and the south pacific save instead, the South Pacific mod is missing a couple of fairly critical things(I couldn't find the FoQ, for instance).

Ok, gonna do that before the game.

Thanks, really looking forward to learn the game.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
For when the scenario designer really wants to make you think about your actions...

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

that seems like a win tbh

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

admanb posted:

that seems like a win tbh

Yeah but explaining it on althistory.com is the loss.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yeah but explaining it on althistory.com is the loss.

Going on althistory.com should cut as cruel and unusual punnishment.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My friend is interested in playing the Gandhi COIN game, does anyone have any advice or impressions about it?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

A Strange Aeon posted:

My friend is interested in playing the Gandhi COIN game, does anyone have any advice or impressions about it?
I only played it once and I liked it quite a bit. The way that the non-violent factions interact with the board and how primarily the Muslim and Indian Council factions interact together is quite novel and interesting. I think of the later-stage big box COIN implementations it is probably the better one, and although the systems aren't completely suited to the COIN framework, they work well enough.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Beware the factions with the lowest VP requirement. The League only needs to operate in a few spaces, and may get lucky with the cards to establish states there at no expense. The Revolutionaries can blow poo poo up and immediately go back underground.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've only played Fire in the Lake before and it's been a few years. The way the Revolutionaries are described sounds like the VC in Fire--do all the COIN games have 4 similar faction roles like that? I blinked my eyes and there's apparently almost a dozen COIN games with a non historic sci-fi one in the works.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The answer is yes and no. Ghandi especially doesn't really have the same roles as FiTL because it doesn't have two distinct sides. The basis of the game was Andean Abyss, which set the framework for the four standard sides: Government, Revolutionaries (in AA's case, FARC), Counter-Insurgents (AUC) and a money faction of some kind (the cartels). Although a lot of games use that framework, many have shifted/modified it for their own conflict.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Has anybody played GMTs Absolute War! -The Attack on Russia 1941-44 yet?

It sounds interesting

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Selecta84 posted:

Has anybody played GMTs Absolute War! -The Attack on Russia 1941-44 yet?

It sounds interesting

There are a 172 questions about rules on BGG and some comments about a convoluted rule book. That said I think if there is a second edition I might add it to my P500 list.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

drat, Carl Paradis with a badly written rulebook? Wow, what are the chances :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Ropes4u posted:

There are a 172 questions about rules on BGG and some comments about a convoluted rule book. That said I think if there is a second edition I might add it to my P500 list.

Bummer