Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Tbh I've always been confused and slightly terrified by people that downright seethe any time pure, distilled gameplay isn't on screen RIGHT NOW for any reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Disco Pope posted:

I can't see how this would be happening unless you rolled a deliberately screwy build and paid no attention.

I literally just went for one of the defaults. I think the one that let's me punch things good.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Tbh I've always been confused and slightly terrified by people that downright seethe any time pure, distilled gameplay isn't on screen RIGHT NOW for any reason.

Good game play is difficult, shoving garbage into a game to pad out the experience is not. Slay the Spire/Ratropolis are superior games to Griftland/uhh that lovely new one that I only tried the demo of Inscryption. Deathloop is a worse Dishonored. Multiplayer RTS are better than campaign not necessarily because of plot but because the computer is dumb and I'm just going to death stack them. Baba is You is superior to The Witness. ARPGS without skippable cutscenes shouldn't exist.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

ARPGs shouldn't have cutscenes or stories at all probably, because they are built to appeal to the most broken brain number increasing gamers who just want their eyes to glaze over

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the stories are there to attract new players and keep them busy long enough for the braimworms to settle in

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Beartaco posted:

I literally just went for one of the defaults. I think the one that let's me punch things good.

The defaults can have poo poo body stats. One of the thought cabinet thoughts lets you regen damage for lots of really common actions but I can't remember what its called

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

ARPGs shouldn't have cutscenes or stories at all probably, because they are built to appeal to the most broken brain number increasing gamers who just want their eyes to glaze over

Yeah exactly. The point of ARPGs to be chill low effort monster killing slot machines, well at least that's the way they all seem to be designed. I suppose they could try having a story worth telling and tell it to me once.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 23, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

there's a book called MEG. they made it into a Jason Statham movie. The cover of the book has a shark and a t-rex fighting in some water. There isn't a t-rex in the book, but there is a giant megalodon shark, and a submarine fires a nuclear torpedo into it's mouth while it tries to eat them.

The writing in it was better than the writing in 99% of videogames.

There is a T. rex in the book it's eaten in the prologue.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

Yeah exactly. Like that's the point of ARPGs to be chill low effort monster killing experiences. I suppose they could try having a story worth telling and tell it to me once.

Buddy, your numbers right now? They're small. Tiny. Picayune. But when Im done with you you're gonna have big numbers, just massive numbers, numbers so loving big you'll need two hands to hold em. Lets get to it.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

There is a T. rex in the book it's eaten in the prologue.

What kinda jerk reads a prologue, I need to know what's happening NOW baby!

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Playing Final Fantasy III on SNES as a child inspired me to read books. Straight up.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Barudak posted:

Buddy, your numbers right now? They're small. Tiny. Picayune. But when Im done with you you're gonna have big numbers, just massive numbers, numbers so loving big you'll need two hands to hold em. Lets get to it.

Bigger numbers you say? I just want to make a cool character with neato abilities. Diablo 3 doesn't have the depth (at least when I played) while Path of Exile makes it feel like a chore.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

What kinda jerk reads a prologue, I need to know what's happening NOW baby!

Foreword?! More like FAST FORWARD TO THE GOOD PARTS!!! :argh:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 23, 2021

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

diablo 3 was fun even at release because i got to kill monsters with jars of spiders and exploding frogs and poo poo but anyone who has played it a ton and keeps doing ladders or seasons or whatever the gently caress the diablo version of Play Game 4 Dopamine is called years later should be institutionalized

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
LOOM had a great story about a loom.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
"Disco Elysium is like a book but it's not made of paper and your e-reader won't read it, so you tried to throw it across the room but realized it's probably on your computer and you don't have the body strength to do so. Finally, frustrated, you write a dismissive internet post about it."

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Caesar Saladin posted:

Every single video game has bad writing, and every single book is well written, I know this because I am an intelligent well read book reader who has engaged in the entire canon of Brandon Sanderson. Sorry, I know a video game goblin like you wouldn't have heard of him, hell you guys porobably haven't even heard of books.

Pft, of course I know who Brandon Sanderson is, idort. He made that one awesome Fortnite skin. :smuggo:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Vic posted:

"Disco Elysium is like a book but it's not made of paper and your e-reader won't read it, so you tried to throw it across the room but realized it's probably on your computer and you don't have the body strength to do so. Finally, frustrated, you write a dismissive internet post about it."

I'm working on a personal project converting Disco Elysium into a CYOA e-book. That or however many normal e-books I can get from the various script permutations. Haven't decided yet.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

itry posted:

I'm working on a personal project converting Disco Elysium into a CYOA e-book. That or however many normal e-books I can get from the various script permutations. Haven't decided yet.

Good idea. Meanwhile I'll be working on Disco Elysium roguelite bullethell. Basically the same game but instead of words you shoot and dodge bullets made of said words.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Play posted:

'atrocious flow', 'obstructive grammar'

Lmao. That's pretty funny, maybe you can figure out why.

Maybe you just didn't get it :smug:

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
If I have an opinion about DE it's that it's sad that it got a reputation for being the churlish leftist game, because even as a churlish leftist right in the pocket for that, the game was at its best when it wore its heart on its sleeve and was more humanist in tone. But its hard to talk about that, because the lol fascist fail cop stuff is funny and memeable and the people that the game appeals to typically aren't good at understanding or expressing that things have moved them sincerely, especially when that's a video game.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Disco Pope posted:

If I have an opinion about DE it's that it's sad that it got a reputation for being the churlish leftist game, because even as a churlish leftist right in the pocket for that, the game was at its best when it wore its heart on its sleeve and was more humanist in tone. But its hard to talk about that, because the lol fascist fail cop stuff is funny and memeable and the people that the game appeals to typically aren't good at understanding or expressing that things have moved them sincerely, especially when that's a video game.

lol

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Cormac McCarthy isnt that great of a writer idk why he gets brought up all the time as some kind of ideal to be compared to

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

fridge corn posted:

Cormac McCarthy isnt that great of a writer idk why he gets brought up all the time as some kind of ideal to be compared to

ok, im sure your sonic fanfiction will get the recognition it deserves one day

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

fridge corn posted:

He's pretty good, but he also writes about cool poo poo (cowboys, Fallout fan-fiction) and not about boring literary stuff like marriage or being an English professor.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the only books you're allowed to say are smart are about poo poo like russian revolutions or non fiction books about 19th century naval warfare

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Vic posted:

Good idea. Meanwhile I'll be working on Disco Elysium roguelite bullethell. Basically the same game but instead of words you shoot and dodge bullets made of said words.

lol, Typing of The Dead exists and it is awesome.

e:totally unrelated but i just bought the original Cowboy Bebop all 26 episodes on XBox Live for 5 bucks.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 23, 2021

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Vic posted:

Ah. The Extra Gameplay edition. Very good.

Disco Pope posted:

the people that the game appeals to typically aren't good at understanding or expressing that things have moved them sincerely, especially when that's a video game.

The original thread had plenty of that though. I think the enchanced edition is a newer one and I haven't kept up with that one.

tango alpha delta posted:

lol, Typing of The Dead exists and it is awesome.

e:totally unrelated but i just bought the original Cowboy Bebop all 26 episodes on XBox Live for 5 bucks.

Blu-ray edition?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

itry posted:

Blu-ray edition?

It's the HD version, so while not 4K, it looks good on my 4K Samsung.

e:they are all the original 4:3 aspect ratio but the picture is really, really clean. brings back a lot of memories.

e:holy gently caress how the hell did Netflix suck all the awesome out of this with their live action debut?

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Dec 23, 2021

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

itry posted:

Ah. The Extra Gameplay edition. Very good.

The original thread had plenty of that though. I think the enchanced edition is a newer one and I haven't kept up with that one.

Blu-ray edition?

Honestly, that's good! I've seen people turned off the game because of a perception about what it is created by some pretty vocal fans, and that's a shame. It's like when people won't try Dark Souls because of people who've created a perception that you have to be highly skilled to enjoy it.

Both are good games that anyone can play if they want to!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Its the only book they've read that isn't harry potter.

His books suck

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Disco Pope posted:

Honestly, that's good! I've seen people turned off the game because of a perception about what it is created by some pretty vocal fans, and that's a shame. It's like when people won't try Dark Souls because of people who've created a perception that you have to be highly skilled to enjoy it.

Both are good games that anyone can play if they want to!

I think that stuff like this, hating things without engaging with them because there is enthusiastic hype, is a symptom of terminal internet poisoning.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

For Whom the Bell Tolls is far better writing than every video game story ever written, including, even though I really enjoy it, Disco Elysium.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

DE is praised good and unique because of how you experience it even within the medium.

Comparing it to books is dumb as poo poo is my point you see.

But then again reading The Road is a lot like collecting bottles in DE

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
A walk through the shelves at a physical bookstore (do those still exist?) and looking at all the absolute drek is all the evidence you need that there isn’t some inherent quality that makes literature good, even compared to video games. It’s Sturgeon’s law people. Of course Call of Duty 46 and Anime RPG 72 are garbage, so is that Tom Clancy ripoff paperback with a name like “Force Warrior” or whatever.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

tango alpha delta posted:

e:holy gently caress how the hell did Netflix suck all the awesome out of this with their live action debut?

:iiam:

The live action has no flow to it. Or any sincerity. I only bothered watching a couple of episodes.

galagazombie posted:

A walk through the shelves at a physical bookstore (do those still exist?) and looking at all the absolute drek is all the evidence you need that there isn’t some inherent quality that makes literature good, even compared to video games. It’s Sturgeon’s law people. Of course Call of Duty 46 and Anime RPG 72 are garbage, so is that Tom Clancy ripoff paperback with a name like “Force Warrior” or whatever.

The printing press was a mistake.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

galagazombie posted:

Sturgeon's Law states" "95% of everything is crap, except for video games, in which case 100% are crap"

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'll just have Homer recite Disco Elysium to me.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Caesar Saladin posted:

the only books you're allowed to say are smart are about poo poo like russian revolutions or non fiction books about 19th century naval warfare

Also french books that are very funny all the way through then leave you feeling profoundly sad.

Also I agree that I don't like Cormac McCarthy's style, and it's pretentious to have some kind of agenda against punctuation. Anyway he did write good stuff in spite of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

John Murdoch posted:

I'll just have Homer recite Disco Elysium to me.

Not sure Dan Castenella fits the tone, to be honest.