Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
the uncle in home alone is the worst person on earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
That was Kevin

"Look what you did you little jerk" was the most correct sentence ever

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Elf is ok. That's about it. Some cool camera tricks in it though.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Its Rinaldo posted:

That was Kevin

"Look what you did you little jerk" was the most correct sentence ever

i hope he died penniless and alone

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Amy Pole Her posted:

The sequels were a masterpiece compared to that piece of poo poo. What on earth? And elf sucks?

Good god TFF

I'm curious to hear a defense of this movie. Personally, I enjoyed Zoey Deschanel singing and Ed Asner as Santa. That's like 6 minutes of runtime. The rest was a giant nothing or weirdly uncomfortable. Buddy calling Peter Dinklage an elf over and over aged really poorly of course but that paled in comparison to how boring it all was.

Set for the north pole was an entirely colorless series of wood rooms. Blah, all the way through.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Elf owns. Christmas Vacation owns. Home Alone owns. Christmas movies are fun and I enjoy them.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

wandler20 posted:

Elf owns. Christmas Vacation owns. Home Alone owns. Christmas movies are fun and I enjoy them.

First time I've ever wished I were still a mod so I could MOD CHALLENGE you into watching and writing a thorough review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9CEIcmWmtA

e: I wouldn't have enforced the challenge though

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Ok, so not ALL Christmas movies.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Intruder posted:

First time I've ever wished I were still a mod so I could MOD CHALLENGE you into watching and writing a thorough review

I saw that last year. Better than Elf honestly. Bad in a fun way.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
fake morpheus's mustard suit loving rules

e: "Sheperd" YES I DON'T CARE HOW CONTRIVED IT IS

Intruder fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 23, 2021

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
All Christmas movies are subpar. There's a reason Die Hard gets brought up as a Christmas movie, because there are no good Christmas movies.

Let's roll the tape:
- Home Alone 1 and 2: Kevin is a loving psycopath. Also the bandits should be completely mush and / or the house would have burned down.
- Christmas Vacation: its... really not memorable.
- Elf: Christmas themed Will Ferrell over the top stuff. If that's your thing, it's fine.
- It's A Wonderful Life: way too loving long.
- A Christmas Story: if it were remade today, it'd be a middle America Cletus safari and the family would be massive Trump supporters.
- The Santa Clause: are we just gonna ignore the fact that Tim Allen murdered Santa?
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas with Jim Carrey: who was this for? It's way too dark for kids, and as an adult, it's just... weird as hell.
- Miracle on 34th Street: the idea of Santa having to go to trial defeats the whole point of Santa.
- Love, Actually: Way too many side stories and honestly, can't even remember how it ends.

So that basically leaves 3 good movies with a Christmas theme but weren't necessarily designed to be around Christmas, and those movies are: Die Hard, Batman Returns, and Trading Places.

please don't take this post too seriously

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Since I sort of glossed over Intruder's post, I almost saw Last Christmas in theaters mainly because the leads are Emilia Clarke and Henry Golding, but then I was spoiled to the ending and lol

Henry Golding's character is a ghost, and his heart was gifted to Emilia Clarke who was dealing with health problems. it's literally just like the lyrics of the song Last Christmas.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Asymptomatic but COVID positive somehow, even though I almost never leave my apartment, and I'm vaccinated and boosted.

gently caress.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I notice original how the grinch stole christmas was left off the list. Which might be fair at this point because the Benedict Cumberbatch is that bad it should not exist.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Barudak posted:

I notice original how the grinch stole christmas was left off the list. Which might be fair at this point because the Benedict Cumberbatch is that bad it should not exist.

Are you thinking Jim Carrey?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Its Rinaldo posted:

gently caress making me play as Raiden

I'm still mad about that 20 years later

Without MGS2 Raiden, we don't get MGS4 Raiden, and without MGS4 Raiden we don't get Metal Gear Rising: Revengence, which is objectively one of the best games ever made.

Easily worth it

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Relentlessboredomm posted:

surprising bc usually Paradox games are capable of eating up all the processing power in the universe to show you a few dozen units moving across the map

It was mostly hyperbole since I'm running a 5900X and a 3080 with 64GB of RAM but yeah, Paradox games aren't "optimized"

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

I really need to get back into these two. Played Squadrons for a bit when it came out, then stopped, and got into Stellaris but ran out of time to play.

Really need some game escape.

If you decide to get into Stellaris let me know because there are a few mods I would recommend. It's a really in depth game but also a time sink. I usually play a few hours in the morning on the weekends before my wife gets up. During the week I don't game much because we "spend time together" and "value each other's company"

Joey Freshwater posted:

So outlook has a thing where it connects with gmail automatically through whatever computer magic and that’s what I was doing.

I then googled the IMAP settings and set my account up manually through that and now it’s working great. Can’t figure out how to give it access to our conference room scheduler but I’m guessing that’s a whole other thing.

Pfft IT is easy, I could do it for real all you gotta do is know how to google stuff

The first rule of computer touching is you can generally fix anything with proper Googling. Another top rule is never trust (setup) wizards and manually configure things yourself

FizFashizzle posted:

got a fight between neo, his new crew, and the loving lost boys from hook.

Well is the new matrix bad or not, you're giving conflicting signals because this sounds like it owns

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I started a new job three weeks ago, and on the first day I had to check in with IT about an issue my computer was having with Creative Cloud.

Guy spent fifteen minutes trying to figure it out, then threw up his hands and said it was just gonna be broken for a bit. After he left I was able to fix it through some Googling and dicking around in Terminal. I didn't wanna deal with the ramifications of "I dicked around in Terminal" so I just told him a reboot fixed it somehow.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I am bracing myself for not enjoying the new Matrix movie not from the reviews y'all are tossing out, but because I am not watching it for the 1st time in the theater (we're watching it on HBO Max later). I'm still mad I didn't see Godzilla vs. Kong in theaters as I'm positive I would've enjoyed it more seeing it on a big screen.

Also, sorry to hear about your positive COVID test, Timby. Hopefully you being asymptomatic means you won't have long haul effects.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Timby posted:

Are you thinking Jim Carrey?

I meant the Benedict Cumberatch one because it makes the Jim Carrey one look like high art and I am ready to be whooshed into that good night.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Jingle All The Way is an amazing Christmas movie as well

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I'm watching Santa Claus Conquers The Martians thanks to watchw.me and it's very weird without the MST3K commentary.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
https://twitter.com/tony_magoni/status/1473881879782871045?s=21

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Intruder posted:

My wife watched that a month or so ago, I had forgotten about the twist to it. Ugh.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Toaster Beef posted:

After he left I was able to fix it through some Googling and dicking around in Terminal. I didn't wanna deal with the ramifications of "I dicked around in Terminal" so I just told him a reboot fixed it somehow.

Basically the same experience I have with my IT group at work! Regedit and gpedit ahoy!

Christmas movie take: Muppet Christmas Carol whips the crap out of A Muppet Family Christmas. The Sesame Street crossover was just pandering :colbert:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Rectal Placenta posted:

Basically the same experience I have with my IT group at work! Regedit and gpedit ahoy!

Christmas movie take: Muppet Christmas Carol whips the crap out of A Muppet Family Christmas. The Sesame Street crossover was just pandering :colbert:

Muppet Christmas Carol is great, but I still have a soft spot for A Muppet Family Christmas. I also had the LP of Christmas on Sesame Street as a kid.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vw19pKcKHc

Christmas Every Day is my favorite trash garbage movie during the holidays. It has the dude from Airplane! and the whiniest protagonist ever, and the 90's-ness is distilled to the density of a neutron star.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I have zero desire to do anything at work today. The weather outside is actually nice for the first time in weeks :negative:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'm watching Santa Claus Conquers The Martians thanks to watchw.me and it's very weird without the MST3K commentary.

That and the other two MST3K Christmas movies (Santa vs The Devil and The Christmas That almost Wasn't) are my go-to background films for wrapping presents.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

Christmas Vacation is still the king though.

:hai:

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

The one thing I've been looking forward to, the thing that has kept me sane throughout this hell crunch week has been knowing at the end of work today I will go home, smoke some weed, eat some garbage, and, most importantly, play Deep Rock Galactic with friends. Last night my computer suddenly decided it will be running at about 1% of its normal speed and be unusable :negative:

Really hoping it's a software thing that a Windows reinstall can cover (spent way too long trying to make a loving bootable USB on a laptop last night and never got it working), but it really could go either way. The initial splash screen that lets me choose boot options comes up normally, but getting to Windows takes minutes (SATA SSD, normally could be at the desktop in 15-ish seconds). Once I'm in the mouse moves around fine, but clicking something like the start menu takes so long to respond that it's almost unusable to even troubleshoot.

The same thing happened to my wife on Monday, then it booted up fine for me when I got home. It happening, then being fine, then happening again is what makes me think it is probably hardware going out at the worst possible time to try and run out to replace things.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

seiferguy posted:

All Christmas movies are subpar. There's a reason Die Hard gets brought up as a Christmas movie, because there are no good Christmas movies.

Someone was born with a heart two sizes too small

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Its Rinaldo posted:

I'll say it

Elf sucks

*leans into mic*

Wrong

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Elf is fine because it’s a kid’s movie, but it gets so much hate because it seems like people expected Full Ferrell Plumage at the time. He’s not going to scream about the North Pole sucking camel dicks on planet bullshit. It’s dumb and corny and very very inoffensive with a few good little laughs sprinkled in.

Also that Last Christmas plot is hilarious but Emilia Clarke is the most beautiful woman on the planet and I’m fine with her doing whatever the gently caress she wants.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Rectal Placenta posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vw19pKcKHc

Christmas Every Day is my favorite trash garbage movie during the holidays. It has the dude from Airplane! and the whiniest protagonist ever, and the 90's-ness is distilled to the density of a neutron star.

Wait is that… how many Christmas movies was Phil Hartman in?!

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Roberts Hays my man

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Timby posted:

Asymptomatic but COVID positive somehow, even though I almost never leave my apartment, and I'm vaccinated and boosted.

gently caress.

drat dude. I'm glad you're asymptomatic, at least! Vaccine still doing good. Any chance it could be a false positive?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Rectal Placenta posted:

Roberts Hays my man

Watch the actual clip - Hartmans in it

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
AND THE KID FROM BRINK?!

I’m watching this movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
If you like Christmas horror, try Rare Exports.