Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Shageletic posted:

But isn't that the clever business move? Whatever he does, has worked at him being top dog for however decades. It's like the measure of a medieval King was how long they reigned, which entailed a specific set of skills to maintain power. That's what's Logan is doing. He's not adding value. He's maintaining himself as King of poo poo Mountain and no one can push him off.

That's what the measure of 'good business sense' is too lol

Yeah, that's all fair. But I do find it amusing that the show goes out of it's way to show that Logan, and no one really, is amazing at "what will enable my business to have a better bottom line in the future" as much as "how can I gently caress over threat X at this moment". Suppose that's the show's thesis statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

He can be good at listening. One of his tropes is asking his business advisors what they think, or doing a round table. So much of the dialog had momentum because of this.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

He is also good at showing non-commitment and deflecting blame.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

I Love Loosies posted:

He is also good at showing non-commitment and deflecting blame.

yeah, when the kids save the business while he's off in la la land he invariably sours on them (telling kendall he's a loving idiot after he found out about that secret loan and shouting at shiv after she made the deal with stewy and sandy)
roman avoided this when he dumpstered the deal with the rich arabs, maybe because in th end it was logan's decision and not taken while he was incapacitated

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Shageletic posted:

But isn't that the clever business move? Whatever he does, has worked at him being top dog for however decades.

Nah Logan might have shown good business acumen in the beginning (ie he was willing to ruin and exploit people for his own gain like like everyone else in his wealth bracket) but it seems clear he's just running on inertia now. He's barely hanging on and every decision he makes ends up being a step backwards - he's just good at framing every defeat to look like a victory.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The World Inferno posted:

Yeah, that's all fair. But I do find it amusing that the show goes out of it's way to show that Logan, and no one really, is amazing at "what will enable my business to have a better bottom line in the future" as much as "how can I gently caress over threat X at this moment". Suppose that's the show's thesis statement.

Yup. His normal instinct to take over a new acquisition in the first whiff of trouble and to appear strong also rings true in our latter day capitalism world where the big companies don't innovate, they just buy companies that do and shut them down.

Waystar being broken into parts and Logan loving off with all the money seems the most realistic way his business will develop tho.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Fucker posted:

Now you're just coping.
Coping with the fact there isn't more Succession to watch, if anything. This is more just a fun speculation. I don't care about anyone on the show but it would be hilariously entertaining if they tried to push forward a narrative that Tom was always good at heart.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Using people as human furniture because they lost a bet is typical office tomfoolery and not a sign of an unbalanced personality being given a position because he happens to be marrying into the family that controls the company

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Side note, but anyone else find it really unrealistic that Caroline would ask Shiv to give a toast at her wedding? I mean, she's gotta know Shiv would roast her. They don't even pretend to have an affectionate mother/daughter relationship so why would Caroline make that request?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

boquiabierta posted:

Side note, but anyone else find it really unrealistic that Caroline would ask Shiv to give a toast at her wedding? I mean, she's gotta know Shiv would roast her. They don't even pretend to have an affectionate mother/daughter relationship so why would Caroline make that request?

Maybe just keeping up appearances. Some people see it as the done thing to involve your children in the wedding if you're older.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I think Peter asked Caroline to ask Shiv. He wanted a "perfect" wedding after all.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Baudolino posted:

I think Peter asked Caroline to ask Shiv. He wanted a "perfect" wedding after all.

he's a "grasping little scholarship boy", after all

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Caroline probably did the deal to both get more favorable terms in the divorce but also so Logan would help out her new hubby with his business stuff.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Cranappleberry posted:

Using people as human furniture because they lost a bet is typical office tomfoolery and not a sign of an unbalanced personality being given a position because he happens to be marrying into the family that controls the company

Slight agree, but hurling water bottles at your assistant when they meekly ask to move departments and (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ might be.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Slight agree, but hurling water bottles at your assistant when they meekly ask to move departments and (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ might be.

That's just executive-level business.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
NGL Id let this guy buy out my company too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMSdFM12hOw

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Finally got caught up on this season- random thoughts on the finale:

Tom has always viewed Greg as a younger version of himself, but Greg really did a wonderful job of cementing it when speaking to Tom about the Contessa. When Tom says "You're one plane crash from being the weirdest King in Europe" is such a good line because Tom has clearly always viewed himself that way, even if it wasn't true organizationally. Also, Greg describing the situation with Comfry- "She's not that into me... separate bedding... it's a guilt free switch up." also works beautifully as an analogue for Tom's relationship to Shiv. Comfry works in online branding and the Shiv marriage has always been one of necessity. I don't think that the show has ever really been convincing that Tom has actual feelings for Shiv. Their relationship, like those created by all of the Roys, is purely transactional.

More of Tom in that scene- "Who has ever looked after you in this loving family?"

I've really enjoyed the corruption of Greg as a subplot. When Tom tells Greg that his move could be a way for Greg out of the "endless middle" you know Greg believes it, even though just a short time ago little Greggy was having his mind blown by a swanky apartment and free food at meetings.

Big connection from Ep 8:

Also, I completely disagree with anyone suggesting that Caroline may have acted with any kind of regard for the wellbeing or sanity of her children. In Ep 8 when we meet Peter, she calls him "absolutely awful," "a grasping scholarship boy," and describes him as "fizzing away like a bottle of cheap prosecco." Caroline has herself a Tom clearly. The difference is that Caroline doesn't underestimate those types and probably also doesn't care that she is likely being exploited. Peter immediately asks Logan for a connection into UK politics upon their meeting, and most importantly, Caroline literally tells Shiv that she is "Having to open up the divorce agreement with [Logan]" because Peter loves the Eaton Square flat." Shiv asks if he can't just afford one on his own, and Caroline describes the business failures that Peter has experienced. The next exchange:

Shiv- "Quite the business brain."
Caroline- "He's got a very big heart."
Shiv- "Well, I suppose opposites attract."

What an incredible setup. It establishes both:

A) the divorce settlement is already open, hence justifying the speed with which it could be revised in the next episode.
And most hilariously B) Caroline murdered all of her children so her scumbag new husband could have an apartment he likes.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Well yeah, she murdered them in the sense that they won't get any free billion handouts for doing nothing anymore

they're literally pouting spoiled children upset that they can't steal money from their father

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

i wouldn't say tom's relationship with shiv is purely transactional from his POV, at worst it's something like "i do love her but i also want a c-suite position and both are important to me"
at least that's how it looked to me in season 1, but it all starts falling apart when she comes out with her open marriage proposal on their wedding night and he realizes (at the worst possible moment) she's been banging other people behind his back while going out/engaged with him, plus the time in s2 when after coming back from boar-on-the-floor he realizes she was with someone else again, all of it culminating in that talk on the beach in the finale
getting cheated on and then being asked to accept it as the way things will be (on your wedding night!) aren't easy things to swallow

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I think there's evidence to claim that Tom does love Shiv, but I think the power and wealth of all the Roy children is an immediately corrupting influence that makes loving even the most normal of them (Shiv & Con) impossible. I don't think its coincidental that the final episodes establish this with Willa. She likes Connor, but by virtue of being a Roy he is so incredibly alienating that "gently caress it!" is about the best you can hope for. And it would seem that she has far less to gain from Connor than Tom would have to gain from his relationship with Shiv. Can you naturally fall in love with someone who has the power to almost instantly give you everything you've ever wanted? Maybe, but how would you ever know?

Tom seems like he would be totally happy in a loveless marriage so long as it passes the eye test (assuming his financial security), but Shiv seemed committed to dunking on him in public whenever possible. It's an image thing. I could almost see Tom trying to reconcile with Shiv and attempting to sell her on how now the two of them are playing both sides. If Shiv wins in her moves against Logan somehow, the two of them are secure, and when Logan wins, Tom can get Shiv back into the good graces of her father. Only in that second scenario the power dynamic of the relationship has been flipped and Tom would be the dominant. I think he would revel in it.

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 23, 2021

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Don't feel like 'Tom never loved Shiv' holds much water. He's clearly way more invested in their relationship then she is for most of S1 into S2.

It's been a pretty brilliant slow burn to Tom betraying them since Greg first misled him into thinking Shiv ratted out their plan to announce their father's retirement back in S1.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Tom has to be way more into Shiv than she is into him. There are a million Toms in New York.

I don’t think that we are supposed to view the entire relationship as being an outright sham, but I think that it’s important to acknowledge that none of the siblings are human and none of them will ever have human relationships.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

That’s why they have to play little incestuous games with each other and why Roman actually wants to do incest.

(Although Connor seems like he’s the closest to being human)

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

a new study bible! posted:

That’s why they have to play little incestuous games with each other and why Roman actually wants to do incest.

(Although Connor seems like he’s the closest to being human)

There was a nice detail where he comments on the stage rigging at Kendalls 40th, which implies he is at least paying attention and taking some interest in Willla's life and work.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

a new study bible! posted:

Tom seems like he would be totally happy in a loveless marriage so long as it passes the eye test (assuming his financial security), but Shiv seemed committed to dunking on him in public whenever possible. It's an image thing. I could almost see Tom trying to reconcile with Shiv and attempting to sell her on how now the two of them are playing both sides. If Shiv wins in her moves against Logan somehow, the two of them are secure, and when Logan wins, Tom can get Shiv back into the good graces of her father. Only in that second scenario the power dynamic of the relationship has been flipped and Tom would be the dominant. I think he would revel in it.

"totally happy" is really not true and you can see it in the show itself, he would tolerate it if the payoff was big enough but he would not be in the least happy and the show is explicit about this with him blowing up at greg in the safe room episode - pelting him with water bottles, screaming about him leaving etc. that is not a "totally happy" person

of course he'd revel in it, she's deeply hurt him and keeps doing it over and over again, in private and in public with sly remarks that are obvious only to them and maybe her siblings who know her better (like the speech at her mother's wedding), why wouldn't he revel in turning the knife around and sticking it in her back for a change

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

yeah connor is a different genre of alienated rich shithead than the other kids which ocasionally lets him be genuine in ways the other kids can't be.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tom, like a lot of rich businessmen, is a status seeker. Shiv constantly demeaned his.

It makes so much sense it's crazy. Nothing in this show comes out of left field. The mistake is always on us not thinking they're going to go thru with it.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
At this point, I've seen Connor and Willa have the most "normal" relationship conversations of any of any of the partners on this show...which isn't saying much.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Will they elect Connor president in season 4

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I hope so 🤩

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nah as much as he's a sicko Roman's far closer to human than Connor. Roman at least has some self-awareness about how ridiculous he and his situation is. Connor fully believes his hyper-libertarian bullshit.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, so where did the incest poo poo come from with Roman? Did I miss some episode where they went into it?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Will they elect Connor president in season 4

he is the nicest, terrible libertarian there is

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Tom 100% loved Shiv and the show has been depicting the growing rift between the two of them.
It's also a complex for Tom which Shiv lays bare in the ..finale? (or episode before. The one with the dirty talk)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, so where did the incest poo poo come from with Roman? Did I miss some episode where they went into it?

Literally his very first appearance is him telling Shiv “you wish” when she compares him to a date rapist or something and he’s been making jokes like that ever since. It’s more than just a twisted sense of humor.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I think it's testament to the acting and writing that you can actually choose yourself whether;

1) Tom was totally genuine in his affection for Shiv. He loved her and wanted her to love him but slowly realized this wasn't the case and he definitely wanted a kid borne out of their love together.
2) Tom is a golddigger who is trying to make Shiv love him and trust him because what he wants most in life is prestige and status and whenever Shiv shows coldness to him he realizes he's still far from his goal

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Weren’t Tom’s parents lifelong wannabe elites who essentially groomed Tom for marrying into a rich family?

I think there was something about this in S1

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Weren’t Tom’s parents lifelong wannabe elites who essentially groomed Tom for marrying into a rich family?

I think there was something about this in S1

they bought the wine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
The divorce settlement was opened by Logan in the 2nd season when the Roys needed Caroline's percentage to shore up support for their side during the proxy battle. Logan used the kids as messengers to talk to Caroline and would go as high as $50 million but "wouldn't be happy."

Caroline countered to the kids that she wanted them for Christmas which... sounds like bullshit but maybe she really did. The thread was never closed until the season 3 finale.

prom candy posted:

they bought the wine

Oh my god are they still telling everyone about the wine?

Such commonality.

No but I'm being bad. It was lovely of them.