Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm trying it now, it seems pretty rad. Basically an electrified harpoon gun :hellyeah:

If you get the special node at the end of the upgrade path, the harpoon explodes after electrocuting whatever you shot. I don't think there's a single enemy in the game that can survive a harpoon + electrocution even on the highest difficulty and the explosion will occasionally launch the resulting item drop to an inaccessible area of the map. It's basically useless but cool as hell and you should get it anyway.

quote:

Something weird about the game is that there was apparently some argument about how to incorporate DLC weapons, which turned into them all being available for free in the shop terminals. Good and bad, because it makes it perfectly easy to try out all the different weapon types, but if you want them to stop hogging the entire first screen of shop items you have to spend a couple minutes "buying" them and swapping them a few at a time into your remote storage.
And then you wipe out most of your credits by accidentally clicking through on one of the regular weapons, and have to reload a save to start again from scratch :smithicide:

This is one of the main things that sucks about Dead Space 2 on PC. I think it was some disagreement between the publisher and Steam where they couldn't come up with a good solution for how to package the DLC so it just vomits everything all over the store interface right away. Also messes up the intended progression of the game since you can buy spare ammo for any type of weapon immediately instead of having to find the blueprints as you're playing, along with getting ammo drops for weapons you don't have cluttering up your limited inventory space.

There's supposedly a way to turn all of it off but I haven't tried it, I just ignore it all as much as possible whenever I do another playthrough. If it's too invasive I found this, there are comments saying it works as of 2020:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=121573447

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
In La Mulana, when you pause the game, the main character (visible underneath the pause overlay) can be seen making a pot of curry, eating it, and then falling asleep. There's a couple of puzzles that require you to fall asleep in particular places, which just means "pause the game there and wait for the animation to play".

In La Mulana 2, the main character's daughter is the protagonist, and she has a similar animation, except she makes sushi instead of curry. She also has a bunch of different costumes, each of which gets the same animation. One of them is a full-body suit of armor (the Clay Doll Suit), which includes a helmet that covers her face. For that animation, she makes the sushi, tries to eat it...it slides off the helmet, and she gives up and goes to sleep. :allears:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Another interesting thing about Dead Space 2 is that Isaac suddenly has a ton of dialogue and character rather than being a silent protagonist who's in a mask 99% of the time. It's like if Half-Life 2 had Gordon yammering all over the place, I'm not sure I can think of a game where the protagonist had such an abrupt characterization change in its sequel.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if you can call it characterization

dead space 2 isaac is about as bland as they come

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oxxidation posted:

Haha, could be. I was thinking more about the change in how he's presented than how interesting he might be.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
my guess is that it was a consequence of the game's increased scope and cast, it'd get pretty silly for isaac to still be voiceless when he's routinely chatting with a rotating cast of a half-dozen people

wish that the Metro series could have gone the same way

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Another interesting thing about Dead Space 2 is that Isaac suddenly has a ton of dialogue and character rather than being a silent protagonist who's in a mask 99% of the time. It's like if Half-Life 2 had Gordon yammering all over the place, I'm not sure I can think of a game where the protagonist had such an abrupt characterization change in its sequel.

Jak and Daxter -> Jak II

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sally posted:

Jak and Daxter -> Jak II

:aaaaa:

Seriously, I have a fond place in my heart for the original, but hate the work you have to put in to 100% it just to get what is effectively the prologue movie to Jak II.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Oxxidation posted:

my guess is that it was a consequence of the game's increased scope and cast, it'd get pretty silly for isaac to still be voiceless when he's routinely chatting with a rotating cast of a half-dozen people

wish that the Metro series could have gone the same way

He also has a lot more face-to-face encounters in 2, at least with people who don't immediately die

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Captain Hygiene posted:

SiN protagonist Blade is fairly chatty. Maybe not quite as quippy as Duke Nukem but cut from similar cloth and he has a voice in his ear to bounce dialogue back and forth with.

Then in SiN Episodes he has maybe like five lines of dialogue in the entire game. :rip:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sally posted:

Jak and Daxter -> Jak II

One of the funniest things in Jak II is how one of the unlockable cheats is letting you remove Jak's little beard.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah but name another game where you get choke slammed by your ghost girlfriend

Please I'm so lonely

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Been playing Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knights (what a title) and I quite like how the music interacts with the environment. Going under water will make it sound like you're hearing it underwater, standing under a roof will muffle it, stuff like that. I don't usually notice stuff like this in games so it really stands out to me here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Yeah but name another game where you get choke slammed by your ghost girlfriend

Please I'm so lonely

Fear 2

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The only characterization Issac needs is his increasingly frantic panting and screaming as he stomps a necro over and over

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

muscles like this! posted:

One of the funniest things in Jak II is how one of the unlockable cheats is letting you remove Jak's little beard.

i miss cheats in games. big head mode rip

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Kitfox88 posted:

i miss cheats in games. big head mode rip

Cheats still exist! It's just that instead of entering a secret button combo, you enter your credit card number.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I’m so glad they added the feature in the sequels where you could spam the stomp and Issac would get more and more angry the more you stomped.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A Christmas present for you because I extracted the game files to mess around with 'em:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/93nth3p35srec2p/stomp_sequence_01_helmet.exa.mp3?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cwj5gnxjfwoh2lr/stomp_sequence_02_helmet.exa.mp3?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2hd2xsth5w2ml1/stomp_sequence_03_helmet.exa.mp3?dl=0

edit: Just add meat!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 08:14 on Dec 23, 2021

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

In La Mulana, when you pause the game, the main character (visible underneath the pause overlay) can be seen making a pot of curry, eating it, and then falling asleep. There's a couple of puzzles that require you to fall asleep in particular places, which just means "pause the game there and wait for the animation to play".

In La Mulana 2, the main character's daughter is the protagonist, and she has a similar animation, except she makes sushi instead of curry. She also has a bunch of different costumes, each of which gets the same animation. One of them is a full-body suit of armor (the Clay Doll Suit), which includes a helmet that covers her face. For that animation, she makes the sushi, tries to eat it...it slides off the helmet, and she gives up and goes to sleep. :allears:

I love those games so much. The music is just loving rad (both the original and the re-release). I bought the box set for both the Xbox one and the PS5. Everyone should play those games (and play them blind) because they loving own so hard. They are old-school, unforgiving, “NES hard” games but they make for an incredibly satisfying experience.

I’m not a “listen to video game music” guy but I will listen to the guidance gate/dimensional corridor music forever.

Edit: I’ve never beaten hell temple and probably never will because it’s literally designed to piss you off.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

John Murdoch posted:

SiN protagonist Blade is fairly chatty. Maybe not quite as quippy as Duke Nukem but cut from similar cloth and he has a voice in his ear to bounce dialogue back and forth with.

Then in SiN Episodes he has maybe like five lines of dialogue in the entire game. :rip:

I played sin episodes when I was maybe 15, so I remember 2 things: there was a partner character and for some reason there was a scene with a nearly naked woman trying to seduce the protagonist. It was a real wtf game

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

lol, but grimly

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

one of returnal's bosses plays a giant organic pipe organ and ends each phase of the fight with a jam session where projectiles fly out of the organ pipes at you. this is rad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=083VitaPq7U

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I only heard about Returnal in passing and that is not what I expected gameplay to look like :stare:

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

one of returnal's bosses plays a giant organic pipe organ and ends each phase of the fight with a jam session where projectiles fly out of the organ pipes at you. this is rad

And the tune he’s playing is crucial to the plot.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Metroid -> Other M

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ilmucche posted:

I played sin episodes when I was maybe 15, so I remember 2 things: there was a partner character and for some reason there was a scene with a nearly naked woman trying to seduce the protagonist. It was a real wtf game

Literally the only thing I remember about the game is that villain lady with huge breasts.

Yeah I was also a teenager, what of it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I remember Relic turning into a casual games developer after the intro "episode".

Big boobs lady was the evil antagonist from the first game, not sure where they were planning to go with her.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

My only memories on Sin: Episodes is the fact that they messed up the adaptive difficulty so that it never went down. It might also have been the game where headshots made it go up super fast, which lead to headshot being the only viable option, which just made it even harder etc. etc.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I... really need to start playing Returnal again. I got to the second area but kept dying to the stronger enemies there.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

mordhau update came out and it reminded me again of one of my favorite features, how the loadout selection screen before you spawn in is a physical, reachable place in every map

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrfn78zLhhk

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hel posted:

My only memories on Sin: Episodes is the fact that they messed up the adaptive difficulty so that it never went down. It might also have been the game where headshots made it go up super fast, which lead to headshot being the only viable option, which just made it even harder etc. etc.
IIRC headshotting lots of dudes made them wear helmets more often, making headshotting more tedious and the big fights way harder because headshotting was still the only real solution.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I’m jonesing to play some old Turbografx 16 games. Anyone know how I can go about doing that without shelling out $300 (wtf) for a Turbo Mini console?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Isn't that your ghost mom or something?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Frank Frank posted:

I’m jonesing to play some old Turbografx 16 games. Anyone know how I can go about doing that without shelling out $300 (wtf) for a Turbo Mini console?

Emulation?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

HenryEx posted:

Isn't that your ghost mom or something?

No no no. The protagonist of the second game is not the same as in the first and third game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

But you do make her a mom

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Hence three times a "no".

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Hel posted:

The big thing was that when the difficulty got higher it would spawn chain-gunners with a ton of health. And since it was broken and the difficulty wouldn't go down again it would just keep spawning more and more of the fuckers.

They even sold a T-Shirt about it. Apparently the Cafepress shop is still up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Barudak posted:

But you do make her a mom

I've got great news! FEAR 3 reveals Beckett only fulfiled the physical element necessary, it actually was her father who did that

edit: Actually this information is apparently from the first game! They really wanted you to love watching Harlan Wade get melted into jelly and don't worry, I did!