Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Internet Explorer posted:

I am so loving sick of my entire team being awful to loving work with. Absolutely 0 documentation, can't even be assed to put entries into the password manager, no coordination or collaboration. Everything we do takes so much more time and effort than it needs to. It really makes me not want to ever do any work. I really need to start looking after the holidays, but the wife and I are also talking about looking at buying a house. Grumble, grumble...

Knowing you need to get out but not being in a position to do so is an awful place to be, I feel you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Happiness Commando posted:

You're management, right? I could write some documentation for you if you hire me. You will be my second only employer

lol, thankfully I have been taking a break from management for a bit. That may be the root of my gripes. People suck at managing and managing itself sucks. Feel like I have a bit of a curse. Damned if i do, damned if I don't.

I don't even need extensive documentation at this point. Just like, the logins for our critical infrastructure would be great.

Thanks Ants posted:

Knowing you need to get out but not being in a position to do so is an awful place to be, I feel you

Yeah... I hate this feeling and it's what lead me to dropping out of college.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

I already have two offers, one of which is at least a 50% bump and the other which I hope matches it :v:

I’m pretty sure I’ll be making more than the security director by the end of it. Not that that’s a good measure of worth obviously, but it’ll give me petty satisfaction.

I’ve never been one to burn bridges, but on the plus side this means there’s no real consequence for being a pain in her neck about this either.

When you quit, don't give them the courtesy of 2 weeks notice. She wouldn't give you the same courtesy two weeks were she to fire you.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

FINALLY get approval to buy the HR assistant a new laptop. She's using some beat to poo poo 4.5 year old model

Boss adds a extra power cord to the order.

"They don't come with power cords"

Yes they do. I now know why there is a literal box of brand new Dell USB-C power cords in our office.

We have six docks in inventory (and no laptops). Hey, can she just use one of those?

"No, I want to keep some of those on hand"

gently caress it. It's not my money.

Also we have 9 PC's in inventory. But can't refresh any on the floor.

Stop giving a poo poo, if he adds poo poo to the order, it's not your problem to challenge him on it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah, it also means you know where there's a stash of USB-C chargers to take home with you so you never need to buy one.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Steakandchips posted:

Stop giving a poo poo, if he adds poo poo to the order, it's not your problem to challenge him on it.

I know man but it's just sick to see how much money gets wasted.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bob Morales posted:

Good on you for at least attempting responsible use of funds and resources. If you get shut down than that's that.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Steakandchips posted:

When you quit, don't give them the courtesy of 2 weeks notice. She wouldn't give you the same courtesy two weeks were she to fire you.

While I appreciate the sympathy, this is bad advice. It’s important to take care of your own professional reputation.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I accidentally once picked a start date a week out instead of two right before I walked in and gave notice. gently caress em, the director was a idiotic jackass and I would refuse to work anywhere that hired him in the future, as well as the key fact that the company no longer exists.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Spent an hour replacing a fuser, every step is much harder than it ever was before. Finally manage to seat it correctly, and the wiring is wrong.

gently caress it, I just walked away. Better just waste time doing something I like than spinning my wheels. I hate this part of the job. I don't have any training, spares, or help around. If I burn an hour, that means I wasn't actually closing anything somewhere else. This just encourages me to do only stuff I know I can do and just sit on everything else, because why get sucked in for a half a day?

Also my reward this Christmas for working at a hospital in a pandemic was.... 10 dollar cafeteria voucher. That's it. Hardly even an email acknowledging there even is a holiday. So glad I'm here for "workplace culture"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

skooma512 posted:

Spent an hour replacing a fuser, every step is much harder than it ever was before. Finally manage to seat it correctly, and the wiring is wrong.

gently caress it, I just walked away. Better just waste time doing something I like than spinning my wheels. I hate this part of the job. I don't have any training, spares, or help around. If I burn an hour, that means I wasn't actually closing anything somewhere else. This just encourages me to do only stuff I know I can do and just sit on everything else, because why get sucked in for a half a day?

Also my reward this Christmas for working at a hospital in a pandemic was.... 10 dollar cafeteria voucher. That's it. Hardly even an email acknowledging there even is a holiday. So glad I'm here for "workplace culture"

How much toner did you get on the floor and on your pants

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Sirotan posted:

us-east again lol

:negative: I am so tired.

You and me, friend. You and me.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

I am so loving sick of my entire team being awful to loving work with. Absolutely 0 documentation, can't even be assed to put entries into the password manager, no coordination or collaboration. Everything we do takes so much more time and effort than it needs to. It really makes me not want to ever do any work. I really need to start looking after the holidays, but the wife and I are also talking about looking at buying a house. Grumble, grumble...

Maybe this is a silly thought, but are these team member jagoffs possible to talk to about improving communication? I bet that alone would help a ton.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
I think the most insulting “Xmas bonus” I ever got at work was a 10% off coupon - for the grocery stores owned by my company :sassargh:

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

For Employee Appreciation, I got laid off. By a health care company. During COVID.

The health insurance I have now is so much better than it was there, even though I kept my pay rate it was basically a raise.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Maybe this is a silly thought, but are these team member jagoffs possible to talk to about improving communication? I bet that alone would help a ton.

That's good advice and what I have been doing. I'm just tired. I have been playing manager / manage from below / implement horizontal structure and I'm just loving tired. Work shouldn't be this hard. Too many people in IT ignore the art of practicing IT.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

My Christmas bonus package this year was hiking supplies. A small backpack, a flashlight, two thermos and a booklet. During COVID. And I can't even leave the house because I'm in quarantaine, because my kid tested positive.

My wife got 4 bottles of wine.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
we got a 50 dollar off coupon for company merch for xmas :) cause that's what i want.... truly

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

star eater posted:

we got a 50 dollar off coupon for company merch for xmas :) cause that's what i want.... truly

We got $50 of cheers credits, our stupid achievers/recognition platform someone in HR has saddled us with. At least we can use the points on things like PlayStation or Best Buy gift cards

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Not pissing me off: My Christmas bonus was our whole support team getting a rebalance of compensation, based on me being real mad to my manager about how I didn't think it was fair I made more money than my teammates that have been here for 1-3 years.

So we all got significant raises to bring us to the same level, are going to salary from being hourly and to comp for oncall, $250 (grossed up!) per week on primary, $100 secondary.

I think I found my pod. :unsmith:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

[In the format of that one meme] You guys are getting christmas bonuses!?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You guys are getting christmas!?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I received a year-long membership to the "Jelly of The Month" club.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

$25 GIFT CARD TO PANTERA BREAD, BITCHES

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Bob Morales posted:

$25 GIFT CARD TO PANTERA BREAD, BITCHES

Vulgar display of salad.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Mine was 10% of my annual salary, and a 3.5% cost of living payrise.

I may not always like some of the decisions made here, but it's still 1000 times better than anywhere else I've worked.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

We got an additional half day off and a $25 voucher for the company ecommerce store.

That said, our company pays bonuses in September so it's not like we didn't get a bonus and they are actually pretty generous with those (mine is 15% of salary prorated by company financial performance and we got drat near 100% of it this year.)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I'm public sector, so I'm having to style for no bonus.

I feel wildly overpaid, though, and have a killer retirement, so I don't care.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
So I just got paged out. It is going to be a fun holiday. Usually we have the 24th and 25th off. Because of when Christmas is, we have the 23rd and 24th off. Apparently no one thought to let customers know this. Fun times.

And no Christmas bonus, but they did let us know that the next bonus should be at 100% and raises are back on schedule, so that is nice.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Polio Vax Scene posted:

spoke too soon. 3% raise. :toot:

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
We got 2000 SuccessPointz in our company recognition portal.

I don't think I've ever worked at a company that gave out real bonuses before closing the books January 1, with actual payment in early February.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

On the one hand, the timing of me leaving my current job means I'm missing my annual bonus.

On the other hand, the pay increase for my new thing is literally seventy loving percent so I'll get over it.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I got a raise, and more than the 0.5% that I've received in the past. I guess that's something.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Inflation (in the UK at least) is 5% or so.

Any raise less than 5% is a paycut.

Let’s see what they decide, that conversation should be happening early next year.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I've tried on 2 occasions to save my boss from spending 50k and 150k that didn't need to be spent and was met with shrugs and thanks for looking out, proceeds to purchase anyways. So now I don't give a gently caress, milk as much O/T as I can and when my boss tells me to order poo poo I add on as much extra crap as I can.

After seeing how much money is being wasted during this Cerner -> Epic conversion I've stopped giving a gently caress about not my money.

We got our standard $150 Christmas bonus. Well, $174 or whatever it was to equal out to $150 after taxes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mattfl posted:

christmas bonus chat

Thanatosian posted:

I'm public sector, so I'm having to style for no bonus.

bull3964 posted:

That said, our company pays bonuses in September so it's not like we didn't get a bonus and they are actually pretty generous with those (mine is 15% of salary prorated by company financial performance and we got drat near 100% of it this year.)

Alright, here's my Christmas bonus story.

For one of my first jobs way the gently caress back in like 2000 I worked for an MSP, it was pretty much a 1-3 man operation depending on the day. Boss was a total crook who's business model was to get clients to sign up for service contracts, send my monkey rear end over to each client for a couple hours a week and then say we were working from the office the rest of the week and bill them for 40 hours.

He had a nice house and a nice boat so I figured whatever he was doing was right.

Anyway, back to the bonus. The end of the year rolls around, and he says we're getting a bonus and it was something like $2,500. A ton of money to my 20 year old self.

I was presented with two options:

1. Check for $2500 but he would have to take out taxes so of course I take up like $1600 or whatever.
2. He could order $2500 worth of stuff from Dell and I could have it.

I went over to my desk and specced out a nice Dell Latitude laptop. Pentium III 500MHz, 128MB RAM, 10GB HD, 1024x768 screen, ATI Mobility 128 video card (this bitch ran Quake III with no issues), fancy Xircom PC card with 56k AND 100mb ethernet... It was an awesome machine.

About 3 months later I quit that job to go work for a client that was sick of his poo poo, and I stayed there for like 5-6 years. About a month after I left, I find out the loving cops are looking for me. :siren:

My boss told the cops I stole the laptop from him. I "turn myself in", and it's determined that it's a civil suit. So we end up going to court over it, and he tries to sue me for three times the value of the laptop because that's the way the law works, apparently.

I was too dumb and young to go to a lawyer when I got the civil complaint. I had actually sold the laptop at some point, so I couldn't just give it back.

Anyway, the day comes where we go to court, and the judge asked if I had the laptop, I told him I sold it on ebay for $700. The judge told my old boss "computers go obsolete quickly, if he sold it on eBay that's what it was worth", and basically decided in his favor. I had to borrow $700 from my mom to pay the judgement, but that was that.

Now, I had looked for the invoice for the laptop before I went to court but couldn't find it in my apartment. In court, he had a xeroxed copy of it, and I know he wrote "bob's bonus" on the copy he gave me. A couple years when I moved out of the apartment I found the invoice, sure enough it wasn't the exact same one he showed the court. So pissed when I found it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Can someone who is good with Event Viewer help me figure this out.

End user has computer that keeps shutting down randomly.

3 possibly relevant Event Viewer messages.

quote:

The process C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe (D-DA-01-009) has initiated the power off of computer D-DA-01-009 on behalf of user OURDOMAIN\JOHNDOE for the following reason: Other (Unplanned)
Reason Code: 0x0
Shutdown Type: power off
Comment:

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}
and APPID
{316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}
to the user OURDOMAIN\JOHNDOE SID (S-1-5-21-3246441074-3676157477-2033418991-9301) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.19041.1320_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy SID (S-1-15-2-155514346-2573954481-755741238-1654018636-1233331829-3075935687-2861478708). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{9BA05972-F6A8-11CF-A442-00A0C90A8F39}
and APPID
{9BA05972-F6A8-11CF-A442-00A0C90A8F39}
to the user OURDOMAIN\JOHNDOE SID (S-1-5-21-3246441074-3676157477-2033418991-9301) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

I've looked in Component Services but honestly I don't know what the gently caress I'm looking for. I've looked at the reg keys but there doesn't seem to be anything obvious, like a security permission to toggle from 0 to 1 or w/e

User has local admin on the machine. Also possibly of interest is that this behavior has persisted with new hardware and a new image which makes me think it's somehow profile related, but that doesn't make a lot of sense either. AD looks fine, she's getting the same GPs as everyone else in her department and no one else has this issue.

Thanks a ton!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The two latter messages look like standard spam some of the Windows Store "modern apps" framework spews from time to time. Those are normal and probably not related.

I assume you've verified that the "shut down" is a proper shutdown sequence and not a blue screen or power failure. They all tend to look different in the event log.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

Can someone who is good with Event Viewer help me figure this out.
Thanks a ton!

I would filter by warning, and critical, and see what else is getting logged in the run up to your shutdown.

Also and yes I know this is dumb, but I have seen things like physical casing issues cause random shutdowns. Shout out to that lovely Synology NAS I had to support in a previous life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

nielsm posted:

The two latter messages look like standard spam some of the Windows Store "modern apps" framework spews from time to time. Those are normal and probably not related.

The reason I think they might be related is that they were the messages immediately before the shutdown, within 60 seconds of the shutdown message.

quote:

I assume you've verified that the "shut down" is a proper shutdown sequence and not a blue screen or power failure. They all tend to look different in the event log.

I'll look again to see if I can find more information about the actual shutdown message. I'd be very surprised if it was a power incident -- the hardware is new and I replaced the power strip, and it's running on the same circuit as her cube mate. I suppose it could be the outlet itself but the issue never happens during work hours and you'd expect it to if it was glitchy wiring.