Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Fucker posted:

i think they wanted morpheus to go in to disable the macerators or w/e their called in the movie. a bunch of weird dungeon style hammers banging into each other like in a factory, so that bugs could get in. no idea what those macerators served for tho

To make food from dead pod-people. And to avoid people getting out like in the first movie, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Fucker posted:

i read it as her mocking the idea that thats what they had as the chief goal of the movie when they were making it, not the reading in itself. note that that dialogue starts w/ the fat agent going "obviously, the matrix is all about...". the other stuff like crypto-fascism and a metaphor of capitalist exploitation all work well as valid interpretations of the original matrix too.

Well, as far as I can see she took a set of comedy characters all explicitly as written missing the point of the Matrix and put the trans argument in their mouths. I don't see how you're supposed to read those moments as anything but mockery.

Also the film was notable completely absent any trans representation. Sure you can say that Neo and Trinity are allegorically t4t if you squint a bit but this is ultimately a movie about a white cis het couple. You can rightly argue that it wouldn't fly with major studios in the early 2000s but c'mon Lana put your money where your mouth is.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Fucker posted:

i think they wanted morpheus to go in to disable the macerators or w/e their called in the movie. a bunch of weird dungeon style hammers banging into each other like in a factory, so that bugs could get in. no idea what those macerators served for tho

oh yeah you're right I remember those now. I guess those mulch up a body when it gets dumped from the pod; I assumed that's why they were being turned off and didn't consider the fact that they would use that tube to get in. I guess they probably explained it at the time

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

Well, as far as I can see she took a set of comedy characters all explicitly as written missing the point of the Matrix and put the trans argument in their mouths. I don't see how you're supposed to read those moments as anything but mockery.

again, its not so much missing the point as trying to pinpoint it. matrix is many things for many different people.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I guess to be more specific about the romance, in this case it's not just about "Neo and Trinity love each other," but trying to transcend the use of Trinity as a damsel in distress. So while a huge chunk of the movie is "the gang has to save Trinity," the result is seemingly Neo and Trinity forming an actual stable and relatively equal relationship. Which apparently is what the Suits find "dangerous."

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I loved this and thought it built in the characters and story in logical but still unexpected ways. It isn't the visual feast of the first and even the second movie but it makes up for it with smart writing.

Maybe I'm just online poisoned but I'm wondering if Lana explicitly wrote the Analyst as a Ben Shapiro type? If so, NPH was the perfect actor for that role.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Fucker posted:

again, its not so much missing the point as trying to pinpoint it. matrix is many things for many different people.

Seems like it'd have been easy to have a trans member of the Mnemosyn's crew say how Neo's story inspired them to transition if they wanted to do that.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
One moment that hit me really hard early on was "Tiff's" story about asking her husband if Trinity looks like her and being laughed at. Carrie-Anne Moss is very good.

JuHoZ
May 13, 2009
I'm fully on board with the end of the credits scene.

The Catrix!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If the analyst wanted to keep neo and trinity close but not too close, trinity should have been some streamer and neo could have been like some viewer andy or a chat mod. Would have been a wildly different movie.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

If the analyst wanted to keep neo and trinity close but not too close, trinity should have been some streamer and neo could have been like some viewer andy or a chat mod. Would have been a wildly different movie.

lol

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Neo as a creepy discord mod would have been hilarious

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Lol the idea that they could have got Weaving if the schedules lined up but went ahead without him is mind boggling

The new guy was ok, but there was just no way he was going to measure up to OG Smith. Nu-Morpheus was good

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

flashy_mcflash posted:

Maybe I'm just online poisoned but I'm wondering if Lana explicitly wrote the Analyst as a Ben Shapiro type? If so, NPH was the perfect actor for that role.

Not necessarily. If you want to frame it in the context of the trans reading of the film(s) then I think he is the "gatekeeping therapist" or even "conversion therapist" which is sadly still a thing that exists for a lot of trans people, or at least has in the very recent past even if it's getting better now.

I liked this movie upon the first watch, and the more I think about it, the more like it. There were definitely things I didn't pick up on the first time, and judging by some of the discussion I've seen there's also a bunch of stuff other people didn't pick up on their first watch, so I think it's gonna be one of those works that will be seen better as time goes on.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Neo as a creepy discord mod would have been hilarious

Neo: "Hey trinity, I'm the one"

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

There's no way this was intentional but that Jude guy is totally Jeff Gerstmann

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I liked the callbacks to the original Matrix but less-so the callbacks to the Bourne Identity with the fight cinematography

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

I'm... not... a simp!!! *smashes Agent Smith against the ceiling*

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The guy who played Morpheus looked pretty good. He definitely lost weight since the last movie.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

PT6A posted:

Not necessarily. If you want to frame it in the context of the trans reading of the film(s) then I think he is the "gatekeeping therapist" or even "conversion therapist" which is sadly still a thing that exists for a lot of trans people, or at least has in the very recent past even if it's getting better now.

I liked this movie upon the first watch, and the more I think about it, the more like it. There were definitely things I didn't pick up on the first time, and judging by some of the discussion I've seen there's also a bunch of stuff other people didn't pick up on their first watch, so I think it's gonna be one of those works that will be seen better as time goes on.

the therapist keeping the essentialist view of two binaries apart for profit and pain and so on is going to make some interesting readings i feel

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/EB5BEdF.png
This is a CGI Neo right?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

PT6A posted:

Yeah on further reflection it seems to be more of a general indictment of that type of intellectual gatekeeper (which I suppose the Architect was too, though a different flavour) than Drypussy Ben specifically. Either way I thought it was very effective and made for a perfect villain, especially for a trans filmmaker.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Either that or Keanu's been popping a lot of red pills off camera.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It's the guy from Bill and Ted, it's not Neo

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the part with people splattering on the sidewalk and Neo and Trinity surviving through the power of love was very anime, good stuff

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
This movie was simultaneously dumb as hell and extremely clever, and happily rolled around in a clever-dumb mud puddle for 150 minutes.

I loved it, 5/5, ten stars

Simulation883
Jan 1, 2007

Seemlar posted:

There was a non-Wachowski Matrix movie actively being developed between 2017-2019 until Lana came back on board and it was cancelled.

It was being written by Zak Penn, so imagine a Matrix movie written by someone with that list of credits.

Thanks for noting that. I feel that Zack definitely took aspects for this for the Free Guy movie. Saw it earlier this year and I was getting similar vibes at the beginning of Resurrections. To explain: In Free Guy, an AI in a computer program begins to realize he's in a game, the main catalyst for this is seeing a woman who he falls in love with. The movie even does the whole coffee shop order something different scenario.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Watched and really enjoyed it. Like most people, I had mixed feelings about the original sequels. I guess I have mixed feelings on this one, too, but it's so much better than I'd hoped. I had no idea where they could take a sequel to the original Matrix trilogy, and I thought this worked well.

I've been on this planet for 30+ years at this point, and I honestly think The Matrix is the most culturally impactful film released during my life. Other movies have had a bigger box office (Avatar, Force Awakens, Titanic), led to bigger franchises (Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter), or had a bigger impact on the movie industry (Jurassic Park, Toy Story, Iron Man, Avengers), but in terms of a general cultural phenomena, I think the original Matrix was the biggest thing since the original Star Wars.

It's also just a great fuckin' movie.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

TheMopeSquad posted:

Just finished, there's a lot to process but one thing I have to say is it's a crime they got rid of the kickin' rad New Morpheus halfway through the film and replaced him with loving boring rear end nano ball Morpheus who doesn't even get to wear any dope looking outfits.

My biggest complaint as well

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
This movie is the epitome of "tell, don't show." It felt like they wanted to tell a larger story than the script they could come up with, so what we're left with are a bunch of characters speaking to the audience directly to try to convince them to come along this winding, meaningless and nonsensical journey. The trailers that made it seem like it was a story about Keanu's character going through a nervous breakdown where the whole thing was in his head...would have been such a better film.

And the conceit that this all happened in a video game instead of a film makes every time it's brought up so cringey.

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

i just saw this and all i can say is lol

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I think it's interesting neo and trinity both got scenes dealing with their appearance that were exact mirrors.

Like for neo oh sorry, the machines made you look slightly different on the outside than you see yourself so we couldn't possibly find you for most of a century.

where for trinity she looked the same, but handsome chad (lol) just laughed at her for saying it

Like the two scenes are kinda the same but I can't quite worm my brain around WHY it's important they were different. Neo sees himself inaccurately to how everyone else sees him, trinity sees herself accurately but is dismissed for saying it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think it's interesting neo and trinity both got scenes dealing with their appearance that were exact mirrors.

Like for neo oh sorry, the machines made you look slightly different on the outside than you see yourself so we couldn't possibly find you for most of a century.

where for trinity she looked the same, but handsome chad (lol) just laughed at her for saying it

Like the two scenes are kinda the same but I can't quite worm my brain around WHY it's important they were different. Neo sees himself inaccurately to how everyone else sees him, trinity sees herself accurately but is dismissed for saying it.

There was a brief glimpse of Trinity in the coffee shop table where you see she’s got long blonde hair.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
I think a lot of issues with the Matrix sequels, more specifically Revolutions comes from the fact that a lot of the material that sets up or underlines what happens in both films is relegated to either the Animatrix or the Enter the Matrix video game cutscenes. The dualism between Neo and Smith and the setup and payoff of the attack on Zion are the only arcs that feel fully formed in both films. Meanwhile the Enter the Matrix cutscenes give a lot of time to exploring Niobe's character arc, better clarifying Sati's origins and how it's related to the Oracle's conflict with the Merovingian, and even gives some hidden depths to Locke's character in a way that the movies never do. Whereas the Animatrix gives a more complete background as to why Neo choosing peace is the correct option more so than his conversation with Sati's father by exploring the Machines' backstory.

The Wachowskis came up with one plot told across 2 movies but a lot of the other stories and elements feel underserved by how laser focused Revolutions is on the Zion battle as the centerpiece of the story.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Much as with Final Fantasy 13, if you have to read a book to best appreciate a game/movie, your movie failed at its own medium.

Having to play a dead mmo to appreciate a movie is loving stupid and insipid.

cell
Nov 25, 2003

The more Johnny the better.

Vier posted:

In the final scene in the analysts office, I am 100% sure that neo is CGI.

I thought the same about when Neo and Trinity reunite in the real world. Something I want to check on a rewatch, if all the Real World stuff was done like that.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
Old Morpheus died in a video game. Nu Morpheus was born from a video game. It rhymes.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Much as with Final Fantasy 13, if you have to read a book to best appreciate a game/movie, your movie failed at its own medium.

Having to play a dead mmo to appreciate a movie is loving stupid and insipid.

i dont think the m4trix follows the online lore, you can guess what happened from what they showed

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Martman posted:

I guess the big joke of the film, though, is that of all the one-liner "what is the Matrix really about?" quips we see from the game developers, literally no one IIRC ever says "a love story!!" And it's true, isn't it? No one was ever clamoring for more Neo and Trinity romance, so that's the one thing that Lana decided to make the core of this movie. I'm normally one to hate the "it was bad on purpose" edgy takes, but I genuinely feel like this movie is an impressive attempt at a big troll.
The very end of the movie, before they fly away to the pee pee music, is the Analyst directly and explicitly telling them that no one else cares about their love story, even if they do. He says something like "no one gives a poo poo about your sentimentality or freedom or empowerment, they just want you back in the pod, like they are." Then Trinity replies that well, at least they got another chance at it, and they fly away to do something new. Lana Wachowski writing that as the last lines in the film probably means something?

Linguica fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I rewatched the original trilogy, the Animatrix and the first season of Sense8 before seeing this and if anything Sense8 had the biggest influence on Resurrection's production - a ton of actors show up, two of the writers, the cinematographer, the score composer, and the overall optimism and themes of interconnectedness. I couldn't find out easily if they used the same action choreographer too but I'm assuming they did - maybe they couldn't bring back Yuen Woo-Ping because of covid?

On the whole this felt so more influenced by Sense8 in style than the original trilogy. Which I don't mind because much like Resurrections, Sense8 is a sloppy mess that also rules hard.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 23, 2021