Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

That's like the high loot building until marked keys are around. You can't creep to it to find the good loot.

oh, i know. my plan had been to ambush whoever was already looting it, but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Sneaky Wombat posted:

I have lost a 1v1 with a scav AI on the customs bridge, and I rounded the corner at ZB-1011 and took a shotgun to the face after hearing shouting in Russian.

I tend to run customs a lot since it's the only map I can run without a map now. I am trying to scav on interchange and stuff but I get lost so easy.

I really don't care for woods, and I am being told I need to figure this map out.

I've made a point of not using maps unless absolutely necessary for this wipe, and your be surprised at how quickly you pick up the maps going by memory.

Customs is easy, because everywhere has a unique layout. Interchange can be a bit confusing in the parkade below, but once you orient yourself relative to Oli/Idea/Goshan you can figure out the routes pretty easy.

Woods can seem tough, but there are always huge landmarks you can look for (the two mountain ranges in the north background, the lake to the south , the ponds in the nw, the north river etc.). Once you know where those things are relative to each other you can basically just scan the Horizon and figure out the approximate direction you need to go in to find the next landmark.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

sinburger posted:

I've made a point of not using maps unless absolutely necessary for this wipe, and your be surprised at how quickly you pick up the maps going by memory.

Customs is easy, because everywhere has a unique layout. Interchange can be a bit confusing in the parkade below, but once you orient yourself relative to Oli/Idea/Goshan you can figure out the routes pretty easy.

Woods can seem tough, but there are always huge landmarks you can look for (the two mountain ranges in the north background, the lake to the south , the ponds in the nw, the north river etc.). Once you know where those things are relative to each other you can basically just scan the Horizon and figure out the approximate direction you need to go in to find the next landmark.

This is like my 5th or 6th wipe or something and I still for whatever reason can't manage to memorize interchange. Woods I know like my own backyard for some reason

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
How do people get lost in interchange? I spent so much time hanging out at malls when I was a kid I'm pretty sure you could drop me into any mall in the world and I could find my way to and from the foodcourt with my eyes shut.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Tonight Tarkov giveth. Scavved into Customs, found a dead cultist who must have bled out because he had all of his stuff including a barely scratched Korund. Then went into that little building near Warehouse 17 with the toolbox up the flight of the stairs and the gun parts on the bottom and found a perfectly alive cultist so focused on trying to walk through the closed back door to that building that he was an easy headshot. He had a fully intact Hexgrid and between the two of them I got all three of my ice cream cones. Also got a poisoned knife to try and ruin somebody's day with.

soupy.
Jun 2, 2019

Update on the Tarkov PC: My coworker ran into some unfortunate circumstances and won't be able to buy a PC. I thank everyone who helped out though!

Update on me playing Tarkov for the first time: I'm learning Customs and Customs only. I have the map down now, where when I load in I know where I am and I know where the extracts are, but that doesn't help much when you don't know what you're doing haha. I'm having a lot of fun just being tense and trying to get to an extract and maybe kill a scav or two along the way for my Prapor quest. I knew this game was brutal when I downloaded it, but man... it really is brutal hahah.

Is there a better way to living my tarkov life than trying to do my Prapor quest on Customs? Is there another map I should be learning, where I try to earn money and can get in and out fast? I'm lost as hell, but I feel like I should stick with Customs since I know the layout of the map.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

soupy. posted:

Update on the Tarkov PC: My coworker ran into some unfortunate circumstances and won't be able to buy a PC. I thank everyone who helped out though!

Update on me playing Tarkov for the first time: I'm learning Customs and Customs only. I have the map down now, where when I load in I know where I am and I know where the extracts are, but that doesn't help much when you don't know what you're doing haha. I'm having a lot of fun just being tense and trying to get to an extract and maybe kill a scav or two along the way for my Prapor quest. I knew this game was brutal when I downloaded it, but man... it really is brutal hahah.

Is there a better way to living my tarkov life than trying to do my Prapor quest on Customs? Is there another map I should be learning, where I try to earn money and can get in and out fast? I'm lost as hell, but I feel like I should stick with Customs since I know the layout of the map.

Get on the discord, play with goons. This game as a beginner alone is some next level self-abuse.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

soupy. posted:

Learn Customs and Woods, since most of your early quests will be there.

Playing solo on Customs is tough since everyone pretty much queues up for it, so good luck and join the goon discord!

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
I also just started and have been the biggest “little bitch” on the map. I used to react to every step I took like a fuckin deer and just drop down and closely listen to if there was anyone else around me walking in a terrified adrenaline rush.

I’ve recently started just not wearing ears so I can be a little less paranoid. And I’ve started running reserve, factory and woods. Before I was just customs over and over. I would heavily encourage new players to scav run in factory and then take the same load out back into factory. It’s helped me get over my traumatized Bambi phase.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

My suggestion for everyone is to run your scavs on Reserve.
It's just lousy with quest and hideout loot, and by the time the scavs get into the match most the PMCs are already done and gone so you just run around shopping and chatting with the other scavs on VOIP.

My expectations for VOIP were pretty low but so far it's been quite a delight and an improvement to the game.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Sneaky Wombat posted:

join the goon discord!

Goon Tarkov Discord is broken because authentication is broken. Can't join*.

*Edit: Actually, can join, but won't load all of the text channels.

El Jebus fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 22, 2021

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Bucnasti posted:

My suggestion for everyone is to run your scavs on Reserve.
It's just lousy with quest and hideout loot, and by the time the scavs get into the match most the PMCs are already done and gone so you just run around shopping and chatting with the other scavs on VOIP.

My expectations for VOIP were pretty low but so far it's been quite a delight and an improvement to the game.

It's surprising how often I scav into reserve and find unlooted areas. It takes a while to get into raid but rarely do I leave disappointed

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

hello internet posted:

It's surprising how often I scav into reserve and find unlooted areas. It takes a while to get into raid but rarely do I leave disappointed

Lighthouse has been amazing for scavving, too. So many bodies, so many items.

Unrelated, got a fun 2k where the pmcs were using voip wonderfully. I wish I had come up with a great 1 liner before killing them but I was not quite prepared for them to show up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejKnfLN2rX8

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

El Jebus posted:

Goon Tarkov Discord is broken because authentication is broken. Can't join*.

*Edit: Actually, can join, but won't load all of the text channels.

Message a mod to auth you, should be someone on the right side.

Someone needs to fix that it sooner or later.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

VOIP is a 100% improvement. Suddenly running through dorms is not a guaranteed fight to the death with everyone else there. Also, in woods, I spotted someone running perpendicular to me, and he spots me, lights me up, and I SKS him center mass.

My legs broke and im behind a tree lining up on him and hear "I'm sorry man, I'm just gonna leave." He turns and I shoot him in the back and he drops. I hobbled about 2km with broken legs and finally got found by some dude laying prone in a bush about 10 meters away from me.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

hello internet posted:

From what I understand the power farmers have a system where they rush through the map as quickly as possible only checking specific high value spawn locations and locked rooms, the routes take less than 10 minutes and they just do them over and over. Scavs typically spawn 10+ minutes into the map so the PMC have already cleared out the best items but there will be tons of mid value and useful items laying around.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
...except Interchange where over half the time this season I spawn T-plus 3min :getin:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

...except Interchange where over half the time this season I spawn T-plus 3min :getin:

I'm specifically talking about reserve and why it's so good for scaving when you're leveling up.

Interchange is good for getting a few specific items like statues and food for trades later in the game.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

I'm a bad newbie idiot, I just followed the steps to complete the search mission for prapor, I died right after getting the click for finding the convoy. Didnt thinkto check anything. Did a woods game at night to sneak into the usec camp and I extracted from that. which is just hell in reality. I do not ever recommend it. Now I see that neither of the tasks are complete when I went to turn in to prapor. Do these have to be done at the same time in the latest patch?

SnoochtotheNooch fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 23, 2021

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Bucnasti posted:

I'm specifically talking about reserve and why it's so good for scaving when you're leveling up.

Interchange is good for getting a few specific items like statues and food for trades later in the game.

If you can hit the Scav and USEC Camp on time, there's no beating Woods for food.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I'm a bad newbie idiot, I just followed the steps to complete the search mission for prapor, I died right after getting the click for finding the convoy. Didnt thinkto check anything. Did a woods game at night to sneak into the usec camp and I extracted from that. which is just hell in reality. I do not ever recommend it. Now I see that neither of the tasks are complete when I went to turn in to prapor. Do these have to be done at the same time in the latest patch?

from the wiki: "Quest steps do not need to be completed in succession - It is possible to discover each location in separate raids, however after discovering the 2nd objective extraction is necessary, otherwise progress is reset to only the 1st objective being completed."

But that doesn't quite seem to gel with what happened to you, unless I'm reading something wrong. So I'm not sure.

One thing I can tell you for certain though, is if you stick with the game, when the next wipe comes around your "just hell in reality" mission will seem like an effortless cakewalk. There are a ton of quests that terrified me my first time (gently caress you, Delivery From the Past) that I don't even bat an eye over now.

You DO get better at the game every time you play even if you don't feel like you are.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

https://twitter.com/bstategames/status/1473928332022538242

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Come on Santa, give me some found in raid flash drives. I haven't seen a single one this wipe.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

The gift, for those wondering, is a keycard case, an ammo case, a tricked out SCAR-H, some magazines for it, a few stacks of M80 ammo, a santa beard, and a bunch of grenades. Pretty nice.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Come on Santa, give me some found in raid flash drives. I haven't seen a single one this wipe.

I've found 6 in custom stashes and filing cabinets on reserve

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Apparently some bug just hit and it's setting everyone's stacked items in their stash to 1.

Dunno what causes it or doesn't cause it but maybe don't login until we know more.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004

hello internet posted:

Every time I’ve tried to scav into reserve this wipe I’ve had to wait 8+ minutes to get in. Interchange is usually 5 minutes, lighthouse and customs are really fast. I wonder if they changed something about how scav spawns are tired this patch; it seems like the popular maps scav in super fast but the more sparse maps take a really long time

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Apparently some bug just hit and it's setting everyone's stacked items in their stash to 1.

Dunno what causes it or doesn't cause it but maybe don't login until we know more.

Between this and the fact that I've died to the fourth PMC in a row who face tapped me before they even finished turning around to face me in the first place, I think it's time to put down tarkov for a little bit until they get the bigger bugs sorted out.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

I've been finding them around computers. Not plugged in, like they used to be, just kinda scattered around on the ground or on top of the computer.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Duderclese posted:

I've been finding them around computers. Not plugged in, like they used to be, just kinda scattered around on the ground or on top of the computer.

It's always frustrating when you first start and see flash drives (and other usable items) laying on desks as props.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

my luck scavving on reserve is getting worse lately. it feels like the cat's out of the bag a bit, queue times are pretty crazy and every time i get in the place is crawling with player scavs. if you spawn in later it's really hard to find loot. just had a run where i spawned in with 18 min left and literally couldn't find an unlooted room. i hit both knights, both pawns, both bishops, and the queen, plus the underground between them. felt like the entire map was picked clean

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So what Xmas gift did Ded Moroz bring to Tarkov this year?

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

I currently have a quest, from Skier, to kill 85 Scavs with three flash drives as a reward, lol.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
How many days do you have for that? You could absolutely grind it out anywhere but Shoreline (not sure about Lighthouse as I haven't played it yet).

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Got this game a week ago (missed the sale, :rip:) and I've been having a blast with it. I've hit level 9, gotten the hang of customs and woods and finished off jaeger's quests in woods and now he wants me to dehydrate for 5 minutes but that seems easy enough on paper. Hitting the quests has been helpful in learning the maps and I have the key for the truck on customs, but I still haven't survived actually getting the watch yet, so I've just been hitting dorms after the first rush and using the car extract for some easy rep.

Scav runs are by far my favorite thing to do so far, it's very low stakes so I'm not nearly as stressed as I am when I run on my PMC.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

Got this game a week ago (missed the sale, :rip:) and I've been having a blast with it. I've hit level 9, gotten the hang of customs and woods and finished off jaeger's quests in woods and now he wants me to dehydrate for 5 minutes but that seems easy enough on paper. Hitting the quests has been helpful in learning the maps and I have the key for the truck on customs, but I still haven't survived actually getting the watch yet, so I've just been hitting dorms after the first rush and using the car extract for some easy rep.

Scav runs are by far my favorite thing to do so far, it's very low stakes so I'm not nearly as stressed as I am when I run on my PMC.

I find playing my PMC way less stressful. Having to wonder whos safe to shoot gets annoying. Having a stash completely full of poo poo helps you get over gear fear when you just need to make some drat space.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I'm kind of with you on that, and knowing there's a system now to track bad scavs i'm extra in my own head about it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Getting to the required level for the flea market helps a lot because it pretty much doubles what your scav runs are worth. My problem is that once I put mods on something it is MY GUN and losing anything more interesting than an SKS still pisses me off :tfrxmas:

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Hooplah posted:

my luck scavving on reserve is getting worse lately. it feels like the cat's out of the bag a bit, queue times are pretty crazy and every time i get in the place is crawling with player scavs. if you spawn in later it's really hard to find loot. just had a run where i spawned in with 18 min left and literally couldn't find an unlooted room. i hit both knights, both pawns, both bishops, and the queen, plus the underground between them. felt like the entire map was picked clean

I'm not 100% sure of this but I think queue times for scavs are based on how many instances of that map are live. Since way fewer people are playing Reserve compared to say Customs, there's just far fewer instances to get a spot in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

It's more that way fewer people play PMC on reserve, where raiders and gluhar will kill you instantly, versus many more people wanting to scav in to get low stakes high value loot. Demand far outweighs supply