Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Vil posted:

At least FF14 has a nod to the extended spell quotes in the Ivalice raids, Orbonne in particular. They're even voice acted. Non-exhaustive examples:

I call out to the skies and tremble as the brilliance of a thousand bolts blinds mine enemies and tears their flesh asunder.
Misfortune hangs heavy on a head once held high. Such is poor cover for when the heavens fall.
Even the strongest of shields cannot defend the weakest of wills. A moment's hesitation beckons a lifetime of pain!
Seven shadows cast, seven fates foretold. Yet at the end of the broken path lies death, and death alone.

That raid and those voice lines are so badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Harrow posted:

Everyone will eventually get two jobs and also you can respec for free so don't stress too much about... well, anything, really. Nothing is truly missable, either. The worst that can happen is you miss a spell in a chest in a dungeon you completed and have to go back and get it, but you'll never miss anything permanently.

If you want a challenge, doing hunts and fighting optional Espers as soon as they're available can be really challenging, and pretty fun IMO. But again nothing is truly missable so if you would rather wait and come back with better gear, that's cool, too. In general, gear and licenses will have a bigger effect on your power than level for most of the game.

Oh, one thing to note is that there's equipment that boosts the damage of a specific element by 50% and the game doesn't really tell you that in the tooltips. You'll make your Black Mage a lot stronger if they hold a Flame Staff when they cast fire spells, or a Cherry Staff when they cast aero spells, etc.

Thank you for the tips! Are there any "bad" weapon classes I should avoid? I have a vague memory of some weapons being kinda garbage throughout the game.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It's hard to gently caress up your classes in FFXII especially now you have the new boards and dual spec with the ability to reset them

As long as you have healing capabilities in your parties that's enough for all of the story and most of the optional stuff, it's only the superbosses you gotta min/max and look at guides for. By the time you get that far you have a good understanding of what works and what doesn't anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mesadoram posted:

Thank you for the tips! Are there any "bad" weapon classes I should avoid? I have a vague memory of some weapons being kinda garbage throughout the game.

The worst weapon classes are still absolutely perfectly fine they just have a slightly slower DPS which will matter basically never.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Basically just sit back and enjoy the excellent VA work. It's a top tier FF in that aspect and you'll get none of the cringy ahegao weeb grunts, squeeks, vocalizations and mannerisms that plagued FF7r.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I should get Zodiac Age at some point, it seems like it fixes a lot of what I didn;t like about 12 originally.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Basically just sit back and enjoy the excellent VA work. It's a top tier FF in that aspect and you'll get none of the cringy ahegao weeb grunts, squeeks, vocalizations and mannerisms that plagued FF7r.

Who would have thought that the secret to good video game dubs was just to getting it done by british theatre actors

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Not sure what an ahegao weeb grunt is tbh

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Same. I am only about 10 hours in so far, but the mannerisms and VA work are nailing the personalities I remember from the original.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's not as bad as Vanille in FF13 but 7R does have a bit of the weird incidental anime noises thing going on

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

Crossbows and the random-damage weapons (hammers, axes, and handbombs) are kinda lackluster but they're still absolutely fine, and since everyone can have two jobs you'll always have multiple weapon types available. Crossbows are still plenty good as a ranged option for someone with a strength-based weapon since they also rely on strength.

For weapon tips, generally melee weapons except for maces rely on strength and because heavy armor boosts strength, heavy armor is a nice thing to have on your melee fighters. Same goes for bows and crossbows. Katanas use both strength and magick power but strength is more important. Maces use straight-up magick power so Red Mages can still fight in melee pretty well even with low strength. Flying enemies can only be hit by ranged attacks (spells and bows, crossbows, handbombs, and guns) or long melee weapon with reach (poles and spears) but again, with two jobs per character you're probably going to have something to hit flying enemies with.

PneumonicBook posted:

I should get Zodiac Age at some point, it seems like it fixes a lot of what I didn;t like about 12 originally.

Zodiac Age is a really great remaster. If you get it on PC you also have access to really great mods like Struggle for Freedom (which is a very well-made rebalance mod that also adds new weapon/spell options) but it's worth getting on any platform.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also worth noting that gun damage is completely independent of character stats, so they can be thrown onto a mage or something with little penalty, but it also means they hit their ceiling by midgame and won't improve aside from getting better guns/ammo.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Switched.on posted:

I’m currently playing The Lion War mod on my N2DSXL. It’s a mod of the original psx version that adds some content from the War of the Lions version (psp and mobile) but retains the original translation. I actually like both translations for different reasons, nostalgia for the original and it’s iconic lines, and the rewrite is more dramatic for better or worse.

Here’s a link to The Lion War https://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=12767.0

-Adds unique events from WotL and changed their translation to match the original versions style
-Adds a few new events from the mod scene but there aren’t too many and they don’t spoil the feel of the original game
-the now unplayable Rendevous multiplayer mission content from WotL is added and changed to single player missions, as well as a handful of custom missions by the modders. The treasure wheel from completing these missions was added as well.
-4/5 of the sound novels that were never translated to English officially have been translated and added as prizes from the prepositions, giving a cool way to get lore never seen in the original releases.

For me, one of the biggest reasons to play this version is that the sound quality is much better on the original psx version vs the WotL version. And the random battle shouts the characters would do when using abilities sometimes are of course present since it’s the original psx version.

If you do play war of the lions, make sure you get the mod that fixes the battle animation slowdown as it makes the already long battles unbearable.

what are you using to play it on the 2DS?

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
There's been a decent amount of progress made on the retroarch core for 3ds recently. I found this reddit thread a couple weeks ago outlining which build and settings you wanna use, and people posting their experiences with different games. It goes without saying that this requires a modded New 3DS or New 2DS (the more powerful of the systems).
https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/jvkotb/full_speed_psx_finally_here_on_new_3ds_new_2ds_xl

I haven't tried anything except for FFT myself, but even with occasional slowdown I'm having a great time. It's great having a handheld with all 3 FFT games on it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ah, gotcha. Last time I tried to do PSX emulation on the 3DS it was hit-or-miss.

One cool thing I found though is that people were repacking them with the cores in a Virtual Console wrapper so you could run them straight from the home screen without launching a separate emulator/core.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Recorded in a tin can.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

multijoe posted:

Who would have thought that the secret to good video game dubs was just to getting it done by british theatre actors

I think the secret is to just not have people mandating weird grunts/gasps, even anime voice actors don’t like them.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Do you complain when someone sitting in the table next to you in a restaurant chews too loudly?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
they're right though, the game is infested with all of that

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

Do you complain when someone sitting in the table next to you in a restaurant chews too loudly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpEd2yK8KzQ

It's tolerable, but still very weird

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xLonTE_ZhFM

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Gonna edit in ahageo weeb grunts into the PR games.

How is this over an hour long

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

I'm knee deep in FF7R and wasn't noticing this but now you've ruined me. Although from watching a minute of the video I don't think its fair to include grunts that are paired with physical exertion, it would be weird if those weren't there

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it also includes laughing and crying

seems like a stretch

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
some of them are fine obviously, battle grunts and whatever, but they're all woven into this tapestry of ASMR anime seduction.

tifa was already one of the most lusted after characters in games, they didn't really need to add *sighs sleepily* *does anime boob stretch* "could kill for a shower" "worked up a good sweat!" every couple of of minutes to lock people in with sex appeal. they make sure you hear every breath she and aerith take in cutscenes. it's too much.

it's a weird disconnect with a lot of their audience because there are people like me who don't play many games with this stuff in it specifically because i think that's about 90% of the appeal and the rest is just filler, but who did play FF7 as a kid and are excited as adults to return to that world, then find that it's actually filled with content intended for the niche sexy anime audience. i think people were expecting a different tone. it's pretty much impossible to ignore if you know what it is. maybe if i didn't know what it is, and didn't recognise the sighs and animations as being 1:1 from other anime games i've bounced out of, it wouldn't have bothered me. but if you know, you know.

i remember thinking pretty early on when you meet tifa like 'oh, this is going to be one of those kind of games...', which for some reason i didn't expect.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yeah, not all of them are weird or unwarranted but it does help make the video comically long

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm not much of an anime-watcher but the whole "anime grunts" thing didn't even register to me at all until I saw people complaining about it, and I still don't understand it. It's not like I've built up a resistance through decades of mainlining anime or anything, I just don't really understand seeing it as nearly as big of a deal as a lot of people clearly do.

For the record I am also An Old and played FF7 as a kid so even with that frame of reference it really didn't seem like it was tonally hosed-up or anything.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
it's basically irritating because it's really obvious pandering to a certain audience which i don't want to be involved in

i don't watch much anime either and the stuff i have seen is older, so they don't even do it there. it's mainly in games i've noticed it, with either an anime or anime influenced style.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it's basically the character equivalent of all the clicky noises guns make whenever they're interacted with in film/tv, they're used to signpost movement/action in the character models. they're certainly excessive at points but still tend to fade into the background unless the audio mixing is screwy, or if the voice itself is especially obnoxious (vanille's squeaky-toy vocalizations)

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Oxxidation posted:

it's basically the character equivalent of all the clicky noises guns make whenever they're interacted with in film/tv, they're used to signpost movement/action in the character models. they're certainly excessive at points but still tend to fade into the background unless the audio mixing is screwy, or if the voice itself is especially obnoxious (vanille's squeaky-toy vocalizations)

My favorite bad examples of this are tire squeals when a car calmly pulls out of a gravel parking lot.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Vanille's sounds stick out to me more than anything since they're exaggerated and don't sound as natural as grunts or whatever. They sound forced to make her seem more whimsical or whatever, which granted could be intentional due to the whole idea of her hiding her Australian Pulse accent and all. It's still annoying, and it's not like there's no other issues with 13's voice direction.

Definitely not talking poo poo about the voice actress, of course.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

A very normal thing to say and not an indication of bizzare hangup and brainworms.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The worst grunts were FFXV. Goddamn it ruined a lot of cutscenes

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Take a moment today to think about the cringy ahegao weeb grunts. They're on the frontline of the ahegao war laying down their lives every day. Semper uguu~.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

roomtone posted:

some of them are fine obviously, battle grunts and whatever, but they're all woven into this tapestry of ASMR anime seduction.

tifa was already one of the most lusted after characters in games, they didn't really need to add *sighs sleepily* *does anime boob stretch* "could kill for a shower" "worked up a good sweat!" every couple of of minutes to lock people in with sex appeal. they make sure you hear every breath she and aerith take in cutscenes. it's too much.

it's a weird disconnect with a lot of their audience because there are people like me who don't play many games with this stuff in it specifically because i think that's about 90% of the appeal and the rest is just filler, but who did play FF7 as a kid and are excited as adults to return to that world, then find that it's actually filled with content intended for the niche sexy anime audience. i think people were expecting a different tone. it's pretty much impossible to ignore if you know what it is. maybe if i didn't know what it is, and didn't recognise the sighs and animations as being 1:1 from other anime games i've bounced out of, it wouldn't have bothered me. but if you know, you know.

i remember thinking pretty early on when you meet tifa like 'oh, this is going to be one of those kind of games...', which for some reason i didn't expect.

what

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I dunno what anime boob stretch means exactly but Tifa's original win pose was stretching and sticking her chest out so I dunno if FFVIIR really changed much there.

Mega64 posted:

Vanille's sounds stick out to me more than anything since they're exaggerated and don't sound as natural as grunts or whatever. They sound forced to make her seem more whimsical or whatever, which granted could be intentional due to the whole idea of her hiding her Australian Pulse accent and all. It's still annoying, and it's not like there's no other issues with 13's voice direction.

Definitely not talking poo poo about the voice actress, of course.

I always thought the thing that annoyed people most about Vanille was the battel sounds and cutesy noises. I've always noticed FFVIIR having anime grunts in cutscenes but I didn't notice it much in gameplay, at least in comparison to Vanille.

Oxxidation posted:

You remind me of when I was a lot younger and watched the MGS2 opening a million times and eventually it hit me that "why do their guns make a noise when they raise and point them?"

I guess there is no "real" reason then.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

roomtone posted:

BREAKING NEWS: Local Man Astonished That Japanese RPG Has An Anime Aesthetic

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Person with sexualized monster girl avatar: I don't want to be associated with THOSE people.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Anyways OP, sounds like you got way too horny at the game and think everyone else did. Or something. Get some help. No normal person noticed this poo poo or hyperfocused on it like you did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I have no loving idea what those posters are talking about as far as too many anime noises that tonally shift the game into pervert land. I literally never noticed any of that in ff7re but also I'm not obsessively looking for anime grunts in my media and perhaps I should be!