Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I find marking a thread unread helps me not click on it. No ”oh, 20 new posts, let’s see what’s going on” reaction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

If we are gonna ban things that are bad for your brain then we might as well ban WWE gdts and the AEW thread whenever a show is not currently airing

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Banning topics, especially ones that matter a lot to some posters but really even mundane ones too, because a some posters don’t like the conversation and rather it go away entirely instead of just ignoring it seems like a really bad rule of thumb in general and kind of the pattern this sub has gone in for awhile with some people trying (and in some cases succeeding) to dictate the conversation.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

examples?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

asking for examples is WWE brain

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think that the "no one loving cares" trigger response to social/political topics and the "discourse" complaints about frequent topics like criticism of the AEW women's division were intended from those posters to shut down those conversations and make a hostile environment for them to be brought up in. And I don't think its an especially new instinct for the sub. Years back when WWE first started doing KSA shows there was a big push to ban the topic from WWE threads and get it sectioned off in its own thread (and if I'm remembering correctly from some posters further sectioned off to "more appropriate" sub forums). And I generally think that's just a bad way to handle topics, especially ones that carry heavy weight with them.

I'm not a huge fan of the Bad Takes thread myself. But its up to me whether I read it or not.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm down for telling people to not use the bad takes thread to go off on their own insane rants. I love a good politics rant but try not to post them here because it's not the place for it. I think it's just a question of self-control on both sides. If you can't not hate read the bad takes thread that's on you. Don't read it and learn some self control. If you can't stop being mad at certain topics that's on you. Close your eyes, scroll to the end, and :justpost: :posthaste: and 99% of the time people just move into the new topic.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

On the topic of “just don’t read it if you don’t want to”, a separate thread to discuss how big of a piece of poo poo a wrestler is because they wore hoodie you don’t like or because they cropped a photo sounds like a terrific idea

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
This isn't about "don't read it if you don't want to" it's about "help I am compelled to read this and I cannot stop, please gas the thread"

In general I think more small threads are better than a handful of big threads but that's neither here nor there.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

JUNGLE BOY posted:

If we are gonna ban things that are bad for your brain then we might as well ban WWE gdts and the AEW thread whenever a show is not currently airing

The AEW thread from Sat-Tues is one of the most unreadable things on the whole forum, yeah.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

IGgy IGsen posted:

In general I think more small threads are better than a handful of big threads but that's neither here nor there.

Agreed but I also don't think cordoning things off like that works. People who can't avoid it or really hate its being discussed will still find it and once its been isolated as the sole topic of a thread it will just get more intense and heated. You end up with the Social Media thread where you post wrestler's twitter stuff but only the nice stuff, and then the Bad Takes thread where you post bad stuff but only the harmless bad stuff, the Cornette thread where he goes, and then a new extra toxic thread where you post the wrestlers and fans saying racist and homophobic and sexist stuff. But then you'll still end up having people who don't want us to talk about X's stuff or don't want to talking about topic Y.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Its confirmed some goons’ hobby to get mad about people they don’t like, which is not behavior I think should be encouraged as a community.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

yea ok posted:

examples?

one just popped up in the AEW thread!

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Idiot

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Penguin Patrol posted:

one just popped up in the AEW thread!
:greencube:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

NienNunb posted:

Its confirmed some goons’ hobby to get mad about people they don’t like, which is not behavior I think should be encouraged as a community.

There are important things like bigotry that matter to people. And they matter more to some than others. And some want to just ignore them so they can enjoy their thing but they have the privilege to do so while others don't. And in many ways that's the kind of thing that allows those attitudes to persist instead of calling them out. That's not "a hobby". Its just life.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Not sure how we got here but it looks like on this forum we have people mad at social issues and people mad at people mad at social issues insisting they are not the ones who are mad. I think the solution to the problem is to create a better world.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

I’d like to state for the record, on record, off kilter, that I have never been mad, in the last 5 months.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I don't think I've ever stopped being mad in like, the past several years.

(Don't take the bad takes thread away thanks.)

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

It’s not going anywhere, don’t worry. This thread is just for people to get their ornery thoughts on paper.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

yea ok posted:

I’d like to state for the record, on record, off kilter, that I have never been mad, in the last 5 months.

6 months for me but I’m built different I guess

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

I think that the "no one loving cares" trigger response to social/political topics and the "discourse" complaints about frequent topics like criticism of the AEW women's division were intended from those posters to shut down those conversations and make a hostile environment for them to be brought up in. And I don't think its an especially new instinct for the sub. Years back when WWE first started doing KSA shows there was a big push to ban the topic from WWE threads and get it sectioned off in its own thread (and if I'm remembering correctly from some posters further sectioned off to "more appropriate" sub forums). And I generally think that's just a bad way to handle topics, especially ones that carry heavy weight with them.

Idk to me that's always felt like it was about not having the same conversation again and again and again, just dominating threads incessantly every week.
Are these things worth discussing? Absolutely. Should they derail discussion every time someone brings them up? I don't know, just feels rote.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

neoaxd posted:

Idk to me that's always felt like it was about not having the same conversation again and again and again, just dominating threads incessantly every week.
Are these things worth discussing? Absolutely. Should they derail discussion every time someone brings them up? I don't know, just feels rote.

Yeah that’s always my feelings about it but then you get your knuckles rapped(wrapped? dunno the word) for not caring enough about serious societal issues. (Online wrestling forum btw)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

yea ok posted:

Yeah that’s always my feelings about it but then you get your knuckles rapped(wrapped? dunno the word) for not caring enough about serious societal issues. (Online wrestling forum btw)

Yeah that chiding is dumb as gently caress but seriously just post around it. Make good posts and ignore the bad ones because lmao at trying to make rules to teach grown adults to not post bad.

If people really do need a "wrestling and politics" thread I guess we could make one or put it in cspam? I honestly think cspam had one at one point.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I love to be told as a queer person that I don’t care about bigotry because I’m not interested in seeing the same four go nowhere discourses regurgitated every week. Always remember that every person who disagrees with you must be one of those dreaded chuds

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Lol for real it’s so fun to break rules and be a goddamn out law.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

agreed

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

neoaxd posted:

Yeah that's fair and it happens. But also like someone who gets sincerely upset about something sincerely bad deserves to be heard and have their feelings validated. And reacting badly to them because we've talked about the bad thing enough already isn't great.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
"we've talked about a problem before, therefore we shouldn't talk about it again" doesn't really apply when everybody has their own experiences and breaking points and there are new wrinkles to things every week

nobody's gonna criticize you for not taking part in a conversation, but it's pretty hosed up imo to try and stamp out those conversations because you think nothing has changed from your perspective

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that's my thing. Its fine that you've said all you have to say on the subject and processed it however you need to process it. That doesn't make you good or bad, we all do it. But what's accomplished by stamping it down and responding dismissively when it comes up? At best you're telling people that the conversation's already been had and they should go back and find it because its not worth repeating, and at worst its just creating an atmosphere where those concerns don't feel welcome.

Like I don't care about Hook memes but I don't get mad when there's three pages of them. The forum isn't my personal tv channel. Sometimes I'm not gonna be into what's going on.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

NienNunb posted:

I love to be told as a queer person that I don’t care about bigotry because I’m not interested in seeing the same four go nowhere discourses regurgitated every week. Always remember that every person who disagrees with you must be one of those dreaded chuds

everything should be allowed except for your bullSHIT!

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Hulkamatt banned jokes back in 09 and the forum was never the same

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Hulkamatt banned jokes back in 09 and the forum was never the same

Why didn’t he ban you idiot

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 23, 2021

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

His absence has left a space where people think it’s safe to talk about hot dogs

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

there's a difference between somebody posting their feelings about whatever in a discussion thread and the compulsion to go "time to search Twitter for some specific terms to see if some two follower nobody with a username ending in eighty numbers has bad thoughts about it so I can share them with others for some reason," which is like eighty percent of the bad takes zone, sometimes followed by other people drilling into Marcus1837320's tweet history to discover that they not only don't like AEW, they also don't think vaccines work. it's just hunting for reasons to be mad.

constantly feeding a cycle of being mad at social media users you would never actually be exposed to otherwise is a giant waste of time and energy.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Karma Tornado posted:

there's a difference between somebody posting their feelings about whatever in a discussion thread and the compulsion to go "time to search Twitter for some specific terms to see if some two follower nobody with a username ending in eighty numbers has bad thoughts about it so I can share them with others for some reason," which is like eighty percent of the bad takes zone, sometimes followed by other people drilling into Marcus1837320's tweet history to discover that they not only don't like AEW, they also don't think vaccines work. it's just hunting for reasons to be mad.

constantly feeding a cycle of being mad at social media users you would never actually be exposed to otherwise is a giant waste of time and energy.

I'm mostly laughing, actually.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

I'm highly casual and I don't care that much either way but the Trad Games forum got rid of their equivalent of the bad takes thread a couple years ago and it worked out fine. The industry discussion thread gets a lot of the bad takes these days but it's not "let's laugh at them," so feels more healthy.

On the other hand it's really easy to just not read the thread. Me, I read it because it entertains me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As I said I'm not a huge fan of the Bad Takes thread myself and I don't think there's anything especially productive or healthy that comes from seeking out and following random people to laugh at or be mad at. But to each their own.

But I do think there should be some place in the forum where someone can post when they suddenly find out their favorite wrestler is racist or a sex pest or the victim of harassment or something. Because that sucks and its worth calling attention to and even more worth giving someone hurt by it a place to process their feelings and feel safe to express them. And I think an atmosphere where if you post the wrong thing in the wrong thread you get told you're in the wrong place or its already been discussed (or worse "who cares?" or "no one cares") is a bad one.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 23, 2021

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Thanlis posted:

I'm highly casual and I don't care that much either way but the Trad Games forum got rid of their equivalent of the bad takes thread a couple years ago and it worked out fine. The industry discussion thread gets a lot of the bad takes these days but it's not "let's laugh at them," so feels more healthy.

On the other hand it's really easy to just not read the thread. Me, I read it because it entertains me.

For obsessively looking for things to hate on the Trad Games industry thread is even worse than the bad takes thread here. It's essentially a hate thread with constant updates on non-entities and bad faith takes cloaked in righteousness except sometimes there'll be good discussion inter-mingled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Gonna say something controversial here. If you don't like the conversation in a thread then it's ok to not post until the topic swings away to something else.

(This does not preclude the fact that some people get too into deep diving in the Bad Takes thread but that's something we should work on collectively improving on rather than outright banning subject matter)