Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sad question
May 30, 2020

I think that's what they were called? The lovely rich family.

Edit: Anyway, they were definitely witches.

sad question fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oxxidation posted:

please read The Satanic Verses

that's not addressed to any one person in this thread, it's the kind of thing i'd sky-write if i could

It is one of my favorite books ever and I've been meaning to give it a re-read, but how does it relate to LiS?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ZearothK posted:

It is one of my favorite books ever and I've been meaning to give it a re-read, but how does it relate to LiS?

it's probably one of the best examples of magical realism in literary canon (at least outside of its south american origins) and also an example of why the tribulations foisted upon the protagonists of such stories are valuable even if they don't end well. gibreel and saladin suffered through their metamorphoses, and the former was destroyed by it, but it didn't make those experiences any less a necessary part of their lives. likewise the inevitability that plagues max's time-travel adventure didn't mean that she should have never used her powers, because her realization and acceptance of that inevitability was a necessary part of her own growth

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oxxidation posted:

it's probably one of the best examples of magical realism in literary canon (at least outside of its south american origins) and also an example of why the tribulations foisted upon the protagonists of such stories are valuable even if they don't end well. gibreel and saladin suffered through their metamorphoses, and the former was destroyed by it, but it didn't make those experiences any less a necessary part of their lives. likewise the inevitability that plagues max's time-travel adventure didn't mean that she should have never used her powers, because her realization and acceptance of that inevitability was a necessary part of her own growth

Ah, I gotcha! Thanks. That's a good reading.

Also I am 100% on Bae ending because goddamn if I wouldn't let a hurricane destroy most cities I've lived in if I had a choice on it.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

CommissarMega posted:

Anyone try Disciples Liberation? Been in the mood for a new RPG, and this looks cool.

This looks nice…I WL’ed it, I can’t talk myself into buying a more expensive game while I have like four older-but-AAA-titles I’ve always heard rave reviews over still in my backlog (never had any Mass Effect games, for instance…I haven’t had bandwidth for a Steam account and missed a ton of genre-defining games since 2007).

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Kerbal space program is on sale. Are the DLCs any good? Should I just get the base game or is it worth springing for the DLCs as well?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Life sure is strange sometimes

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Hey, thanks for all the XCOM responses, had a poo poo day at work and I'm only now reading through them all.

While I'm here, another one: I keep thinking I'd like to get into 4Xs and I got Endless Legend at some point because I remembered someone recommending it as a good "baby's first 4x" (is this still the case? :v:), but that was a good while ago and apparently a lot of dlc came out since. Any must-gets? Not sure if it's just new factions or if there's anything game-changing like Civ usually has.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Edmond Dantes posted:

Hey, thanks for all the XCOM responses, had a poo poo day at work and I'm only now reading through them all.

While I'm here, another one: I keep thinking I'd like to get into 4Xs and I got Endless Legend at some point because I remembered someone recommending it as a good "baby's first 4x" (is this still the case? :v:), but that was a good while ago and apparently a lot of dlc came out since. Any must-gets? Not sure if it's just new factions or if there's anything game-changing like Civ usually has.
The factions bring new mechanics with them but you should be fine without them.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Seconding that, Vanilla is fine. Major expansions bring new mechanics and a race whose gimmick leans into said mechanic, while minor xpacks add fluff and sidequests. They seem to have removed some of the half&half bundles and there's only the 'everything' edition, shame. Guardians adds Civilization-style wonders & legendary deeds which I feel adds a lot, but again, Vanilla is fine.

I wouldn't call it baby's first 4X, but then again I don't know any title that is.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Thanks to both!

Serephina posted:

I wouldn't call it baby's first 4X, but then again I don't know any title that is.

Well, guess I'll either learn or finally take the hint that the genre is not for me. :v:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Slipways is a bite-sized micro 3X (there's no eXterminate) that I highly recommend.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Serephina posted:

Seconding that, Vanilla is fine. Major expansions bring new mechanics and a race whose gimmick leans into said mechanic, while minor xpacks add fluff and sidequests. They seem to have removed some of the half&half bundles and there's only the 'everything' edition, shame. Guardians adds Civilization-style wonders & legendary deeds which I feel adds a lot, but again, Vanilla is fine.

As a tangential question, is there a website that explains some of these gaming-related terms? When I tried to search for “4X” all I got was ads for Hawaiian Shirts for fat guys (bookmarked immediately, ofc). I can figure out “Idler” and I know what words “RTS” stand for, for instance, but not what the term actually means for gaming purposes. Also like what is “Turn Based Combat,” because I loved Dungeon Siege for play style years ago, but am no longer a fan of OG Warcraft-type builders and resource building beyond MechCommander’s “salvage at the end of mission” loot. I love PS:T/BG I & II, but don’t have experience much beyond EQ/WoW and heavily modded Skyrim RPGs and MMOs. I’ve got some Christmas money comings so I’m trying to get a lot of top-tier-but-cheap-old games in before my corneal transplant in late January. I just would like to recognize what some <Tags> mean before like, buying an Xcom bundle or something.

Any links or even like if Steam has an equivalent to the SomethingAwful Encyclopedia (hidden) part on the app is deeply appreciated!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Jack Trades posted:

Slipways is a bite-sized micro 3X (there's no eXterminate) that I highly recommend.

That was actually in my radar for a bit when it first came out; not quite sure why it didn't make it into my wishlist but I just corrected that. Thanks a bunch.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4X

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DerekSmartymans posted:

As a tangential question, is there a website that explains some of these gaming-related terms? When I tried to search for “4X” all I got was ads for Hawaiian Shirts for fat guys (bookmarked immediately, ofc). I can figure out “Idler” and I know what words “RTS” stand for, for instance, but not what the term actually means for gaming purposes. Also like what is “Turn Based Combat,” because I loved Dungeon Siege for play style years ago, but am no longer a fan of OG Warcraft-type builders and resource building beyond MechCommander’s “salvage at the end of mission” loot. I love PS:T/BG I & II, but don’t have experience much beyond EQ/WoW and heavily modded Skyrim RPGs and MMOs. I’ve got some Christmas money comings so I’m trying to get a lot of top-tier-but-cheap-old games in before my corneal transplant in late January. I just would like to recognize what some <Tags> mean before like, buying an Xcom bundle or something.

Any links or even like if Steam has an equivalent to the SomethingAwful Encyclopedia (hidden) part on the app is deeply appreciated!

Then look at the side-bar for additional genres.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Edmond Dantes posted:

That was actually in my radar for a bit when it first came out; not quite sure why it didn't make it into my wishlist but I just corrected that. Thanks a bunch.

Slipways is indeed very good but don’t believe their lies about each game only taking an hour. You will be agonizing over every decision.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Jack Trades posted:

Then look at the side-bar for additional genres.

Thanks, both of you. My Google cluelessness didn’t think of “genre” as a term. I did find some baller-rear end fat guy shirts, though…
:colbert:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I like As Far As The Eye a lot as a weird easy to get in to 4x game (well, 3x since there's no combat)

It's entirely about good resource capitalization so it'll teach you how to do better in most other games in the genre :v: It's about taking a cute little nomadic tribe on a pilgrimage through a bunch of miniature civilization maps, it's very charming and I find it very enjoyable.

There's one important caveat to the game which is 'never ever enter the special event ruins if you can't identify them' cause there's like a 2/3rds chance the result will be either bad or worthless to you at the time. You can (and want to) train up a druid who can identify the ruins when you know your basic needs are met. I feel like people entering every ruin and getting hosed up as a result is the biggest reason all the negative steam reviews call it frustrating.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

e: it really wants to recommend me games with soundtrack today.

useless...

Sininu fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 23, 2021

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Kerbal space program is on sale. Are the DLCs any good? Should I just get the base game or is it worth springing for the DLCs as well?

Not at all worth it IMO. I like the game enough that I eventually bought them just for completion's sake, but you won't miss them even a little bit.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kerbal has dlc?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Brief snapshot opinions:

Overboard is very good but very short and I'm vaguely unsatisfied with it. I wish there were more meat to it because the presentation is top-notch. Makes me want to replay 80 Days honestly.

Rhythm Doctor is very very good, was surprised to see it's still in EA. Tap button to the beat, enjoy musical adventures.

To The Rescue - buggy, buggy, buggy. Clicking through tutorial dialogue advances two boxes at a time randomly, I can't figure out how to clean dogs, and it's just... I am frustrated! I want to love it, it's pretty and the loop seems satisfying but bugs!

Nuclear Blaze - a game I'll enjoy more when I sleep on it. It's a short SCP adventure that's themed around firefighting and platforming. Really flexible difficulty. I'd like it, but I just can't shake the disappointment that it's not a regular firefighting game. I want to save people from burning stuff, not explore a SCP thing right now.

Bonus thought: god damnit my controller is broken and I'm mad. It vibrated off a stack of books, hit the floor and now the connector joint thing is loose. :(

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Kerbal has dlc?

yep; its last hurrah considering kerbal 2 is vaporware

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Wizard of Legend is 70% off and is really good.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
played through the first few chapters of Call of the Sea, which bills itself as a Myst-style first-person puzzles-and-mechanisms mystery adventure game, about a woman following the trail of her husband's archaeological expedition to a South Pacific island in the 1930s -- but turns out almost immediately to also be cosmic horror.

Like, the presentation is gorgeous, the puzzles are not the hardest ever but are decently interesting and do require you to think a bit and put pieces together, and the voice acting is good (even if the writing is kind of ham-handed), but I do wish they hadn't deliberately hidden such a major aspect of the plot/mood. It's not even that it's especially horrifying (there's only really been one somewhat-telegraphed jump scare so far), it's more that I don't particularly enjoy cosmic horror stuff and was looking forward to a more straightforward mystery/pulp adventure.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Occultatio posted:

played through the first few chapters of Call of the Sea, which bills itself as a Myst-style first-person puzzles-and-mechanisms mystery adventure game, about a woman following the trail of her husband's archaeological expedition to a South Pacific island in the 1930s -- but turns out almost immediately to also be cosmic horror.

Like, the presentation is gorgeous, the puzzles are not the hardest ever but are decently interesting and do require you to think a bit and put pieces together, and the voice acting is good (even if the writing is kind of ham-handed), but I do wish they hadn't deliberately hidden such a major aspect of the plot/mood. It's not even that it's especially horrifying (there's only really been one somewhat-telegraphed jump scare so far), it's more that I don't particularly enjoy cosmic horror stuff and was looking forward to a more straightforward mystery/pulp adventure.

imo it isn't really a horror game at all despite having significant Lovecraftian elements in the plot, nor is it intended to be one. might not be for all tastes, though

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
I need to see if they ever fixed the crash preventing me from progressing in Call of the Sea on XB1. I was enjoying it, but ran into an unavoidable 100% repro reset the console crash that was apparently a known issue at the time.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

A bit late to the LiS discussion, but while I think the psychosexual magical realism interpretation is a really interesting one, it's not something I personally felt. I think it's especially problematic in context of the other games, which have similar magical BS but are way more grounded and less prone to surreal interpretations.

As far as the ending to 1 went, I had two big issues. One was the same criticism I've had of every LiS game, which is that the ending felt like a dumpster fire that came from a different game. The disaster/butterfly effect storyline could've been interesting, but the game itself almost never touched on that. It felt like chapters 1 and 5 hit it a bit, but the rest of the game was laser-focused on the friendship stuff and on Max's attempts to be cool slowly leading her to realize what an absurdly toxic piece of crap she is.

With chapter 5 in particular, I think my biggest issue was that the Chloe vs. Town decision made zero sense. They had no evidence that Chloe's saving throw vs gundrugs was what caused the issues, it was just one of them (Warren, I think?) throwing out a random idea, and everyone immediately taking it as gospel. I think if there had been firmer, direct evidence of the thing it could've been a gut-wrenching choice... but when I played it, it didn't feel like 'save the cheerleader or save the world', it felt like 'Believe conspiracy theory that might be right, or save awesome friend who you know for a fact will get action comboed out of existence if you don't act.'

Honestly, I wonder if Before the Storm isn't my favorite LiS game explicitly because it doesn't have magical crap, it just focuses on telling an engaging story about a couple of assholes.

Rambling essay about goofy French adventure games aside, could someone explain to me exactly what Ruined King is? It looks like it's a turn-based RPG, but all the LoL trappings and marketing fluff are confusing the heck out of me.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I've played all LiS games except for 2 and I dearly wish they'd stopped with the supernatural stuff.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Omi no Kami posted:

Rambling essay about goofy French adventure games aside

Regarding these, if anyone is looking for the ultimate weird french adventure game experience, I don't think it gets any better/worse than Isabelle. You play it freely switching between two brothers, one of them freely walking around the island, the other blind (due to a suspicious accident that kickstarts the game plot) and exploring a psychedelic mind-hallucination of said island. It's all Gouraud-shaded low poly and is absolutely weird as gently caress.

See it as a challenge if you're into obscure games. I can't imagine too many people have managed to go through it. It was beyond me back then as a college student, and I was into weird games...

A review here for more context and some screenshots: https://adventuregamers.com/articles/view/17463

Available as abandonware here: https://www.abandonware-france.org/ltf_abandon/ltf_jeu.php?id=2251&fic=liens

Haven't tried the download, so no idea if it even works on modern windows I'm afraid.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

lordfrikk posted:

I've played all LiS games except for 2 and I dearly wish they'd stopped with the supernatural stuff.

I wish they'd just give up trying to be original and use time travel again. It's a wonderful concept for an adventure game, to do the save/reload on bad choices loop in-universe.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

lordfrikk posted:

Life is Mundane

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

lunar detritus posted:

I wish they'd just give up trying to be original and use time travel again. It's a wonderful concept for an adventure game, to do the save/reload on bad choices loop in-universe.

One of the lead developers said that the programming and coding required to make the time travel mechanic work was a stress inducing nightmare and they never would've picked it had they known how difficult it would be going in.

The Life is Strange games are weird in the sense they were directly modeled off of the Telltale style episodic release drama games but written but a French company that was trying really, really hard to capture the sense and feel of a specific part of American culture.

1 is good but almost out of date even on its release, and there's definitely the feeling that the ending was kind of thrown together last minute as they scrambled to finish the game. It's hipster boarding school meets Twin Peaks and went hard in on all they could to create that feeling and to their credit did a really good job.

2 has a lot better individual parts especially early on, but is such a completely different narrative that it lost a lot of what made 1 special while never really committing hard enough to the changes. It had some great parts, but lacked a lot of emotional impact since every episode was a new place with new characters.

Then you get the games made by Decknine, an American company, brought in by Square-Enix after it seemed like Dontnod was thumbing their nose at their corporate bosses who wanted more of LiS1. Decknine made a prequel to 1, which was pretty good, and True Colors (LiS3), but TC loses a lot from being about 1/2 as long as it should be as a result of covid completely loving over the original game design plan.

The only real problem is the fanbase is pretty much 100% in on the original game and want more of it, but there's no good way to make a sequel and trying to keep placing games in the same universe is becoming a hassle and drip feeding in minor characters as a "Hey look at this!" isn't going to keep working.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
you want a dontnod game that really allie-oopsies into a dumpster at the end then go with Remember Me

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
I loved LiS 1, and played through it several times, but thought LiS2 was dreadful boring. I forced myself to finish it, but didn't enjoy it at all.

Team BAE!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

you want a dontnod game that really allie-oopsies into a dumpster at the end then go with Remember Me

lol almost all their games are like a bunch of great ideas that just full face plant in the asphalt once you get to the last 10%.

I've not played Vampyre or Twin Mirror but they have similar reputations for "inventive and cool, but not good games"

Tell Me Why was at least a coherent story with a good ending but it seemed like Microsoft basically demanded the game be fully finished before releasing the weekly episode or had some major editorial control over the process.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Edmond Dantes posted:

Thanks to both!

Well, guess I'll either learn or finally take the hint that the genre is not for me. :v:

I would classify Warlock 2 as a good "babby's first 4x." It's kind of like a very, very lite Master of Magic set in the Majesty universe, but the factions play differently enough that you can have some fun strategies. (I like to do undead runs where I just dimension-hop, terraforming all the alternate dimensions into deathlands!)

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
I've also seen The Battle of Polytopia described here and on Steam as a good intro 4x which is why I bought it, but I still haven't played it so I couldn't say for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Occultatio posted:

Agreed, it’s a decent little puzzler but I’m glad I got it on sale because it’s fairly simple and short, albeit a pretty experience that doesn’t overstay its welcome.