Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Jonny 290 posted:

isn't it wonderful? and yes he is

how about that alaimo cringe and nana visitor's eye roll

all of these people seem like good and chill people. i extremely want to smoke weed with avery brooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

like of all the people who played starfleet captains it would absolutely be avery brooks. patrick stewart would be fine, scott bakula would be fuckin weird. kate mulgrew is probably a close second. i dont think i could be high around william shatner.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah best part of that doc is that it made me realize that sisko is just avery brooks after the director said "Look, just be yourself!" and he was like "Very well."

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i can't imagine being sober around william shatner.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 53 minutes!

Shaggar posted:

i think the point of the bots was to intentionally lower the stakes in order to make the action scenes more weightless and boring.

I think it’s cause in the first movies they dance around the fact that people possessed by agents agents/in-Matrix cops who wholly uninvolved in the larger struggle and does not at all come to terms with the heroes gleefully killing innocent bystanders and encouraging the audience to cheer about it. having everyone they kill in this be “bots” neatly sidesteps that (interesting and potentially worth exploring) plot point

e: like at one point Niobe asks “you expect me to risk the lives of ten thousand so you can save one?” and yeah, they killed hundreds of people to get Neo and Morpheus out in the first one. that’s all yall did back then

indigi fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 23, 2021

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

The new matrix has a lot of bad parts but the whole self aware aspect makes me wonder how much was intentional. The new cast was completely flat and pointless, you literally don't care about a single one of them and their collective bad acting made it so much worse. It's just a Neo/Trinity love story.

The aesthetic of this iteration of the matrix (the actual matrix, not the movie itself) was a lot more subtle, instead of everything being green tinted it was all very shiny and looked questionably too perfect. The CGI was bad but it was limited to scenes that took place inside the matrix, so it had to be intentional. Same for the weird frame rate effects, like somebody was turning on motion smoothing on my TV. The part where Sati was in the grassy field looked so incredibly fake. It made me wonder if the terrible choreography was an extension of this idea.

Trinity's final one-liner "bye" was so loving funny and bad lol.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my rationalization for 'it looked bad' is well of course it is, neo is out again and they're suffering from a power shortage. the CPUs are all in throttle economy mode. onboard video and such

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Jonny 290 posted:

my rationalization for 'it looked bad' is well of course it is, neo is out again and they're suffering from a power shortage. the CPUs are all in throttle economy mode. onboard video and such

you though more about it than anyone at Warner Bros

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

polyester concept posted:

The new matrix has a lot of bad parts but the whole self aware aspect makes me wonder how much was intentional. The new cast was completely flat and pointless, you literally don't care about a single one of them and their collective bad acting made it so much worse. It's just a Neo/Trinity love story.

The aesthetic of this iteration of the matrix (the actual matrix, not the movie itself) was a lot more subtle, instead of everything being green tinted it was all very shiny and looked questionably too perfect. The CGI was bad but it was limited to scenes that took place inside the matrix, so it had to be intentional. Same for the weird frame rate effects, like somebody was turning on motion smoothing on my TV. The part where Sati was in the grassy field looked so incredibly fake. It made me wonder if the terrible choreography was an extension of this idea.

Trinity's final one-liner "bye" was so loving funny and bad lol.

i'm seeing a number of people going with "it was intentionally bad, as a criticism of both the studios and the audience wanting more of the same poo poo", which is certainly a take, but not one that makes me interested in seeing the film

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Casual Encountess posted:

what we left behind is on prime so i watched it last night and it ruled if youre a fan of ds9.

andrew robinson is a treasure

i was really disappointed by the "what if... season 8??" segment

like i went in thinking they were going to talk about ideas they had back during production about possible eighth season episodes, not just brainstorm a season on the whiteboard, off the cuff. "nog's dead!!", lol, of course those dudes are still tickled by killing off characters

also the part where sisko comes back at the end of the season, which takes place like twenty years after season 7, is a complete betrayal of what the writers agreed to do for avery brooks - i.e. don't make him just abandon his wife to raise their unborn child alone - though absolutely what i would have expected those dipshits to do lol

(edit: okay that's not quite true. i've said for a while now that if you got a few beers into the DS9 writers and asked "so, does Sisko really come back?" they would just scoff and say "no we just put that poo poo in so that Avery Brooks wouldn't kick our rear end lol")

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

both seasons of witcher should have been 4 episodes longer with 4 pure monster of the week episodes

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

infernal machines posted:

i'm seeing a number of people going with "it was intentionally bad, as a criticism of both the studios and the audience wanting more of the same poo poo", which is certainly a take, but not one that makes me interested in seeing the film

yeah, it is what it is. it's funny and arguably worth seeing if you enjoy that kind of satire but if you want a meaningful continuation of the matrix story then you will be disappointed. even the satire aspect isn't that great.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

both seasons of witcher should have been 4 episodes longer with 4 pure monster of the week episodes

yes

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

are these the same folks that argue Prometheus was actually a brilliant satire

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

are these the same folks that argue Prometheus was actually a brilliant satire

there may be some overlap, but surprisingly it is not CD i'm referring to here

yeah, it is what it is. it's funny and arguably worth seeing if you enjoy that kind of satire but if you want a meaningful continuation of the matrix story then you will be disappointed. even the satire aspect isn't that great.

i think the wachowskis are generally about as subtle as a brick upside the head, but then again, so was starship troopers and that was great satire, so idk.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i think the wachowskis are generally about as subtle as a brick upside the head

there was a scene with The Merovingian where he acknowledges that the whole thing is nothing more than a spin off so yeah.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

everything i've read so far, including in this thread, has me stoked to catch the new matrix. i would be moer worried hearing that it was ok'ish dumb action, which is one thing no one has said.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 53 minutes!

I don’t think it was intentionally “bad” but it certainly was intentional. they definitely hung a lampshade on all that stuff but it wasn’t poorly executed

jesus WEP posted:

yeah I fuckin hate this 6-8 episode season bullshit so much

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

everything i've read so far, including in this thread, has me stoked to catch the new matrix. i would be moer worried hearing that it was ok'ish dumb action, which is one thing no one has said.

it’s decentish mid-brow action

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Otomowns:
https://animationobsessive.substack.com/p/4-the-art-of-an-otomo-storyboard
https://floobynooby.blogspot.com/2016/05/the-hand-drawn-cinematography-of-cannon.html

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

The first act of matrix 4 was great. It was the perfect way to handle a 20+ year later sequel to a franchise that had such a huge cultural impact. I especially liked how they shifted the question away from "is reality just a computer simulation?" to "is reality just an illusion in our minds?" (not considering this a spoiler as it's heavily suggested in the trailer). If they somehow managed to extend that into the full length of the movie with more philosophical mind gently caress themes, it would have been so much more satisfying. Even learning about the fate of zion and the infighting with the machines, and how it lead to a new age of human/machine cooperation was very cool.

Oh well time to watch the resident evil reboot.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
that matrix videogame tech demo thing seemed pretty cool though it mostly just boils down to "hey look procgen"

it's weird to imagine a modern followup to teh matrix because it's so much a product of its time right at the tail end of The End Of History(R)'s honeymoon period

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
it's like imagining a follow-up to office space

there's plenty of material there of course but it would be of a very different nature than "but what's it all even for, maaaan?"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sapozhnik posted:

it's like imagining a follow-up to office space

there's plenty of material there of course but it would be of a very different nature than "but what's it all even for, maaaan?"

for one, it wouldnt be the printer that got kicked to poo poo

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

watched INGLORIOUS BASTERDS for the first time tonight, didn't realise by gifs and clips general cultural assimilation I knew like 90% of the plot anyway, but it was still a good watch, lots of that drawn-out tension when you know something Nazi-related is about to go sour.

also it took me all the way through the scene of the Brit officer getting his orders to realise his commander was played by Mike loving Myers :prepop:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i can't take inglourious because quentin went too hard and there's that combo choking + foot scene and i just know he pants-busted filming it

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol when that foot was just big on the screen it took me a second to remember and then lmao

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Jonny 290 posted:

i can't take inglourious because quentin went too hard and there's that combo choking + foot scene and i just know he pants-busted filming it
Yeah and he did the choking, which is totally normal and cool

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah but there's also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWpS4Sv7lWc

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah that turned me off it. i liked it when i saw it & the acting is fantastic, but after learning that he insisted on personally choking diane kruger & the uma thurman car crash, im not that hot on tarantino movies anymore

why couldn't he just have stuck to writing snappy dialog & violent shootdowns

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 24, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my tolerance for quentin has gone way the gently caress down over time. Like i'll fully confess, in HS we watched pulp fiction and reservoir dogs every god damned house party we threw. but man there's a line at which you gotta say "ok this guy is really good at nailing the color temperature of that 70s film you remember watching on fuzzy TBS over-the-air" versus "this guy is incredibly threatened by and hates women and every one he casts befalls some ugly poo poo"

Reservoir dogs is the only movie he's made where a woman either doesn't get her feet licked or choked because literally no women were cast in reservoir dogs, besides the waitress in the diner, who doesn't get a loving tip

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

The first act of matrix 4 was great. It was the perfect way to handle a 20+ year later sequel to a franchise that had such a huge cultural impact. I especially liked how they shifted the question away from "is reality just a computer simulation?" to "is reality just an illusion in our minds?" (not considering this a spoiler as it's heavily suggested in the trailer). If they somehow managed to extend that into the full length of the movie with more philosophical mind gently caress themes, it would have been so much more satisfying. Even learning about the fate of zion and the infighting with the machines, and how it lead to a new age of human/machine cooperation was very cool.

Oh well time to watch the resident evil reboot.

this is more or less how i felt. the self referential stuff was very on the nose but i think the way they handled it made sense both in-universe and out. i had a fun with everything up to neo leaving io but after that the plot had some serious pacing issues. coulda spent less time with the new people and more time setting up the relationship with trinity or talking philosophy with the analyst. also felt the fight choreography was maybe he worst of the 4 movie (hollywood for the love of god please use a static wide angle cam for action shots instead of that shaky handcam w/ editing bs).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jonny 290 posted:

my tolerance for quentin has gone way the gently caress down over time. Like i'll fully confess, in HS we watched pulp fiction and reservoir dogs every god damned house party we threw. but man there's a line at which you gotta say "ok this guy is really good at nailing the color temperature of that 70s film you remember watching on fuzzy TBS over-the-air" versus "this guy is incredibly threatened by and hates women and every one he casts befalls some ugly poo poo"

Reservoir dogs is the only movie he's made where a woman either doesn't get her feet licked or choked because literally no women were cast in reservoir dogs, besides the waitress in the diner, who doesn't get a loving tip

its hosed up. if i come across a scene i will watch it play out (unless its the choking scene). i have this same feeling about louis ck cause he did some really excellent observational bits but then he turned out to be a piece of poo poo.

fandom has ended with tarantino. now villeneuve is my best director so far

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Carthag Tuek posted:

now villeneuve is my best director so far

literally pay this dude a hundred million dollars a year on salary to just occasionally poo poo out a 3 hour movie of slow pan/zoomouts of Giant Egg Space Ship with bass heavy ambient music, i will eat that slop up every single god drat time. arrival was amazing. dunc is amazing. use his powers for Good.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Did you not see Blade Runner 2049 or did you not like it?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jonny 290 posted:

literally pay this dude a hundred million dollars a year on salary to just occasionally poo poo out a 3 hour movie of slow pan/zoomouts of Giant Egg Space Ship with bass heavy ambient music, i will eat that slop up every single god drat time. arrival was amazing. dunc is amazing. use his powers for Good.

ill put 100dkk on that monthly, if any hollywood types are listening

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh yeah 2049 was loving great as hell too yeah though they could have cut 90% of harrison ford and kept the vibes without any sadsack poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i saw it at my local cinema dome giant-rear end imax and it was :kiss:. the sound in that place is incredible

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

that early scene from Arrival where the mist comes in over the mountains and you don't see what's there untill they do, thats extremely well done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMWFbd9zsK4

the sheer size of it

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

besides the waitress in the diner, who doesn't get a loving tip
yes she does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Carthag Tuek posted:

its hosed up. if i come across a scene i will watch it play out (unless its the choking scene). i have this same feeling about louis ck cause he did some really excellent observational bits but then he turned out to be a piece of poo poo.

fandom has ended with tarantino. now villeneuve is my best director so far

Man these are my thoughts word for word.

Kill Bill part 1 was a revelation when I saw it. It's one of the bigger influences that really got me into film in a serious way. So I don't say it lightly, but gently caress that guy.