Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Imo that's the platonic ideal of how voice chat in Soulses should work, if at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
These games have voice chat? Now that has to be the most obscure feature in a From game.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The sole justifiable use of voice chat in DS2 was the one guy who used to hang out at the start of Iron Keep and if you summoned him, he would just cast Immolation on himself and then scream into his mic at the top of his lungs until he died

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Pulcinella posted:

These games have voice chat? Now that has to be the most obscure feature in a From game.

Literally every time I'm setting up DS3 online password stuff and I see the option to restrict voice chat I inevitably think "wait, this game has voice chat?"

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I have voice chat enabled. I see people with their mics on. 99% of the time they don't respond to me, I just hear their background noise or them talking to themselves. Pretty strange. Probably have theirs on incidentally and people like me muted.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

skasion posted:

The sole justifiable use of voice chat in DS2 was the one guy who used to hang out at the start of Iron Keep and if you summoned him, he would just cast Immolation on himself and then scream into his mic at the top of his lungs until he died

A solid gimmick

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Pulcinella posted:

I've only ever heard voice chat from a random once in this series and it was some guy cry-laughing at my character's face right before the Vordt boss fight.

loving startled me more than anything else in in a souls game, Brightstone Cove NG+ encounter aside

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Made it through Doors of Pharos. Royal Ray Authority is a weird boss difficulty wise. If you can quickly kill the 4 toxic rats, dodge/heal through the RRA first attack, and then get under it, your basically completely safe. But if you get toxic’d you’re done for.

Also went back and rescued Ornifex. It’s nice to finally understand some of the references in Happy Souls, though it shows just how long this game is realizing how much they skipped and the video is still 15 minutes.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Pulcinella posted:

Also went back and rescued Ornifex. It’s nice to finally understand some of the references in Happy Souls, though it shows just how long this game is realizing how much they skipped and the video is still 15 minutes.

"Right down the road!" :lmao:

Happy Souls is one of the best two videos about Dark Souls ever. The other being Dark Souls: In Summary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9x_koRZ2bA

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I've never been certain if "just down the way" was something that got a bit scrambled in trying to piece DS2 back together or if it's just something like when Priscilla tells you "this land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind" after spending the past hour dodging bonewheels and Phalanx 2: Fleshy Boogaloo

Maybe everyone from the Painted World is just bad about lying.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Well I'm sure they're peaceful and kind to her

And maybe Ornifex knows a shortcut we don't. Or maybe our hollowing, curse-addled rear end just took the extremely long way around

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

She reckons distance as the crow demon flies

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I think she's just crap with directions.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I bought DS2 again lol. I didn't have the original on pc! It has different enemy layouts!

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I would miss Aldia's monologues.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Charles Bukowski posted:

It's still pretty shocking in retrospect how well they managed to pull him off. Adding in a post-launch Exposition Guy whose sole purpose is to properly stitch together the rather haphazard themes and plot sounds like an awful idea on paper, but it works in spite of how obviously shoehorned into the core game he is (e.g. Smalldia in Dragon Shrine).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Charles Bukowski posted:

You get Aldia and the DLC in the original too. In fact Aldia showed up without warning when the first dlc was launched, even if you didn't have the dlc.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Killed Prowling Magus and Duke’s Dear Freja. So that’s two of the four down. Again this game is loving huge. In retrospect, the possibility of going from Forest of Fallen Giants straight to Lost Bastille is a bit of an odd choice just because it definitely seems like the game is intending to put 2-3 areas in front of the area that actually contains the primal bonfire boss.

Killed Freja first time, but actually died to Magus once. I just got unlucky and was double lightning bolted right as soon as I walked through the dog door and then was hit by one of the magus’s spells immediately afterwards.

I burned an Ascetic to re-fight Freja and get the souls for the Moonlight sword. Currently de-populating the area around the 3rd Brightstone Cove bonfire because I don’t want to have to fight a bunch of spiders every time I need to visit Ornifex. (And yeah, “right down the road” my rear end. Wish Ornifex, Straid, and Galvan would just setup in Majula).

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Aldias inclusion actively makes the plot worse. The plots and themes were already perfectly understandable

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
On the other hand, big cool tree head

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Found a video of someone speculating about Aldia before he was added to the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VdKpbOHQ3M

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

FishMcCool posted:

"Right down the road!" :lmao:

Happy Souls is one of the best two videos about Dark Souls ever. The other being Dark Souls: In Summary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9x_koRZ2bA

Nvm found it:

Dyz fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 25, 2021

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Aldias inclusion actively makes the plot worse. The plots and themes were already perfectly understandable

The Buddhist and Taoist themes the game's treating with run into a roadblock of fatalism without the Reject ending that Aldia specifically sets up. The game's simply not as comprehensible or complete without him providing additional exposition and his tying up of the game's main throughline at the Throne of Want.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I feel like one of the best things DSII does is thoroughly dismiss the idea that the Age of Dark is some universal, absolute good that man should absolutely run towards as fast as possible. Like...no, either absolute is poo poo. Kaathe is directly responsible for the annihilation of two civilizations, he's just as full of crap as Frampt.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Dyz posted:

Nvm found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOWNVdDSw2s

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Flytrap posted:

I feel like one of the best things DSII does is thoroughly dismiss the idea that the Age of Dark is some universal, absolute good that man should absolutely run towards as fast as possible. Like...no, either absolute is poo poo. Kaathe is directly responsible for the annihilation of two civilizations, he's just as full of crap as Frampt.

I thought Kaathe taught men how to wield lifesteal from the abyss or w/e and it was the Gods that had New Londo flooded. Not really his fault directly. What else did he do?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Charles Bukowski posted:

I thought Kaathe taught men how to wield lifesteal from the abyss or w/e and it was the Gods that had New Londo flooded. Not really his fault directly. What else did he do?

He's also the one that convinced Oolacile to dig up and exploit the body of Manus.

And New Londo had to be flooded because Dark Wraiths are immortal monsters that just kill and eat infinitely. Kaathe himself even blames them when he gives you his sales pitch. Says that they were all a bunch of weak minded fools but you? Oh, you're *special* Player Character, you've got that something something that's gonna make it DIFFERENT this time. Got real cultist/army recruiter vibes to it.

I feel like that's part of the theme of Dark Souls: humanity unrestrained really just wants to consume and make everything part of itself. Manus goes wild and tries to return everything to monkey--literally, he's a giant ape--, each of Manus's daughters tries to corrupt and consume their respective kingdoms. Well, 2 do, one just wanted to hide away but she still managed to taint the land by existing. And in the third ending of DS3, it's framed in the same way as the Kill The Candlemaiden ending of DeS. It's cruel, selfish, and the way the sky looks afterwards gives the impression that it hasn't actually changed anything. Everything is still hosed but now at least this small elite group is in charge of the dying embers.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 25, 2021

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Killed Freja a second time and made the Sword of Moonlight. Had to respec my stats a bit to wield it. The path back to her a second time is probably harder than the boss fight itself, since you can roll up with three NPC summons and a torch means the small spider don’t bother you.

Got to the first bonfire in Drangleic Castle (already have a million soul memory :sweatdrop:) before doubling back and progressing through Harvest Valley.

The number of enemies has been less of a problem now that I actually have some good investment in stats, good, upgraded equipment, and some good spells ( Dark Orb is so good).

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I've changed my build 5 times during this run. Only now making it to Aldia's.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Flytrap posted:

He's also the one that convinced Oolacile to dig up and exploit the body of Manus.

And New Londo had to be flooded because Dark Wraiths are immortal monsters that just kill and eat infinitely. Kaathe himself even blames them when he gives you his sales pitch. Says that they were all a bunch of weak minded fools but you? Oh, you're *special* Player Character, you've got that something something that's gonna make it DIFFERENT this time. Got real cultist/army recruiter vibes to it.

I feel like that's part of the theme of Dark Souls: humanity unrestrained really just wants to consume and make everything part of itself. Manus goes wild and tries to return everything to monkey--literally, he's a giant ape--, each of Manus's daughters tries to corrupt and consume their respective kingdoms. Well, 2 do, one just wanted to hide away but she still managed to taint the land by existing. And in the third ending of DS3, it's framed in the same way as the Kill The Candlemaiden ending of DeS. It's cruel, selfish, and the way the sky looks afterwards gives the impression that it hasn't actually changed anything. Everything is still hosed but now at least this small elite group is in charge of the dying embers.

Aldia Was Right (tm).

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Alright Old Iron King is down. Some Sun Bros helped me speed through the first half real quick. I’m going to have to come back and do some exploring because we didn’t stray from the critical path at all so I have no idea what the flaming building in the middle was about other than I opened a door and fire came out. Presumably there is a way to turn it off and go inside.

Second half wasn’t too painful. I found the Belfry Sol. Presumably there is a covenant that goes with it, but I was online and in human form the whole time and I didn’t get invaded, just some NPCs that were very easy to pick off one by one.

Thankfully found the bonfire right before the boss, the run back to Old Iron King was very painless. The tiny platform you fight him on is some real bullshit though and he knocked me into the lava several times. The final time I was lucky and Manhunter O’Harrah* miraculously pulled aggro about 90% of the time so I was able to just DPS Old Iron King down.

Paid for the really long, really expensive deluxe ladder and made it all the way to Black Gulch before stopping for the night. I didn’t realize it would let me skip Grave of Saints.

*I really, really like the amount of NPC summons and invasions in this. It feels like it captures the spirit of online interactions pretty well. The NPC summon in Earthen Peak even points out where to burn the windmill!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Pulcinella posted:

I have no idea what the flaming building in the middle was about other than I opened a door and fire came out. Presumably there is a way to turn it off and go inside.

Turning it off is more obvious than you think. Though aside from 1-2 token items it's just a shortcut that lets you skip past Smelty.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Pulcinella posted:

Alright Old Iron King is down. The tiny platform you fight him on is some real bullshit though and he knocked me into the lava several times.

The real enemy in the Old Iron King fight is the little lava pit close to the building.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Killed The Rotten, Twin Dragon Riders, Looking Glass Knight (I was online but didn’t get any players summoned, unfortunately), Demon of Song, and Velstadt in a big push.

The King Vendrick reveal rules, though I wish there was just a bonfire right outside his room for return trips.

Shrine of Amana looks amazing but the mages being able to snipe you and the arch dragon enemies aggroing from across the map brings it down.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Made it all the way through Giant Lord and unlocked the DLCs to their first bonfires (so I don’t have to take the long way). Might go back and kill Ancient Dragon and then Vendrick before doing the DLCs.

Aldia’s Estate was pretty cool and disappointing at the same time. It felt like a Souls version of a Resident Evil mansion, which was cool. Does the Bone Dragon attack you as soon as you enter in the non-SOTFS version? It seems silly that you have to light four torches and then back track to the entrance to see it. Also wish it was even more mansion like. Was disappointed that the back half is just literally a long hallway.

The memories are cool because you get to actually see some of the main events of the backstory instead of just arriving after the fact. I wish the dragon memory had the Witch of Izalith burning down arch trees or Gwyn’s Knights throwing lighting bolts in the background. I think the DS2 giants are my favorite design for giants in the series.

Is there an intended order for the DLCs?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Pulcinella posted:

Does the Bone Dragon attack you as soon as you enter in the non-SOTFS version?

IIRC yes

Pulcinella posted:

Is there an intended order for the DLCs?

Not strictly important since they’re all separate. But release order is Shulva>Brume>Eleum Loyce.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yeah good luck with the Ancient Dragon. I'm content never ever doing that.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Charles Bukowski posted:

Yeah good luck with the Ancient Dragon. I'm content never ever doing that.

Yeah once I realized how much HP he has and how long it would take I nope’d out of there.

Went ahead and killed throne watcher/defender and Nashandra. I went to the Kings Gate bonfire to meet with Grahndahl for the third time, saw that there were 3 sunbro summons and figured I would just go for it. Even still, almost died to watcher&defender when they both broke aggro from the summons and bum rushed me in the corner casting at them. I got stunlocked and managed to roll away with about three pixels of health left.

Unfortunately I forgot to kill Vendrick first so no Aldia boss fight. Also went ahead and farmed up the giant lord to NG+8 and ascetic killed chariot and skeleton lords for the chloranthy+2 ring and the blue cast-faster+2 rings.

Now for the DLCs!

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Pulcinella posted:

Yeah once I realized how much HP he has and how long it would take I nope’d out of there.
You didn' miss anything, the rewards for beating him are not worth the effort by any stretch. If you're curious, he drops a Soul of a Giant and a Petrified Dragon Bone. That's it. No unique items whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Ancient Dragon is super easy if you do the toe poke cheese.