Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

This is pretty much necessary at this point.

Better Trade Screen
Detailed Map Tacks

also help immensely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Serephina posted:

Well I pulled the trigger, cheers! Trying to get back into it, lots of fun subsystems (but still not enough industry, everrr, argh. probably need to play until the new improved industrial districts?). Lots of old UI thorns that I had forgotten about still present, so am raiding the workshop page.

Recommended UI mods? I've found:
Quick Start
Quick Deals
Better Report Screen
Expended Policy Cards
--
But really I'd love to find something that turns the fog of war into something less stylized. Not the "here be dragons" distant fog, but the stuff that covers up already-seen terrain and turns it drawing-esque. Absolutely maddening, I just can't read it at all, especially jungles. There's a Civ5 aesthetic mod which I might have to resort to, might also help with seeing goddamn hills which keep catching me. But that's a little drastic.

Yea, the fog of war and uncovered terrain colors are so similar that it’s a bit jarring at a glance. I found Civ V much easier to read.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I will always vouch for the Civ V terrain mod

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Chronojam posted:

I will always vouch for the Civ V terrain mod

I will always vouch for the strategic view of the map

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
There's one that lets you filter cultural buildings by type, which I now consider 100% necessary for a cultural victory.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I think this is a first for me, I won a game where I was dead last in score the entire time on deity

Menelik cool it with the yields buddy jesus christ!!!

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 20, 2021

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
After putting Civ6 on the shelf for 4 months while I was in school I busted out my Switch version for my winter break.

I always have a blast playing this game but I never quite know what I'm supposed to do... there are just so many mechanics operating and I feel overwhelmed with choice and needs from my cities. I know I have to plan my cities out in advance and know where to put my districts but it takes a whole lot of ahead of time research to know quite what they do - or what improvements benefit me. I end up responding to needs all the time, if I need food I find a structure that can provide that, if I need housing, etc. etc. I've tried to look through a few guides but its still not clicking super well.

Everything works fine when I play on Prince or King, but I can't really figure out how to play where I'm not going for a Domination victory (which is satisfying enough). I'm playing as Mansu Musa in a current game and have a great trade network and religious spread going but I find religious spread totally opaque, other than just sending Religious units to cities and bombing them with my religion.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mike N Eich posted:

After putting Civ6 on the shelf for 4 months while I was in school I busted out my Switch version for my winter break.

I always have a blast playing this game but I never quite know what I'm supposed to do... there are just so many mechanics operating and I feel overwhelmed with choice and needs from my cities. I know I have to plan my cities out in advance and know where to put my districts but it takes a whole lot of ahead of time research to know quite what they do - or what improvements benefit me. I end up responding to needs all the time, if I need food I find a structure that can provide that, if I need housing, etc. etc. I've tried to look through a few guides but its still not clicking super well.

Everything works fine when I play on Prince or King, but I can't really figure out how to play where I'm not going for a Domination victory (which is satisfying enough). I'm playing as Mansu Musa in a current game and have a great trade network and religious spread going but I find religious spread totally opaque, other than just sending Religious units to cities and bombing them with my religion.

Best tutorial for me is to play on the lowest difficulties and just see how things turn out. The game isn’t as complex as it seems. It’s definitely not a Paradox game.

My one strategy for doing non-domination victories is to build a good army and always stay in 1st or 2nd place on the “world military ranking” and from there, just build out and up and amass culture/religion/whatever. Having a good standing army means the AI is less likely to gently caress with you while you’re learning.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The trouble with 'good standing army' is that you're actively stopping yourself from then just winning/progressing through a much more simple manner. The AI is still pants at combat, and if at any time past the classical era you have a respectable force with one catapult you'd be making much faster progress by just taking everyone's stuff.

I'm not a fan of continents for 8 player games but I do respect the effectiveness of a moat in discouraging that. But other map types - Pangaea, Archipelago? Takes a lot of restraint in not killing everyone. So I have to not build units at all basically.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Honestly, I pretty much always win by culture or science, and rarely build much of an army. Only time when I really have to is if I am playing a team game and my partner really wants to go warmongering. But as long as you build enough archers to hold off early incursions by the AI and Barbs, you can steamroll right past them. Trade anything and everything you can with the AI to get gold so you can just buy the buildings/builders you need and slingshot your economy. War is the easy route, but it is sooooo tedious. Just manipulating the AI with trade deals being friends with everyone is much faster (irl time, domination is generally faster in absolute turns) This is on deity difficulty mind you so I am sure the same plan works decently at lower difficulties.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Mike N Eich posted:

Religion spreads through trade routes, which can be useful - you can aim a whole bunch of trade routes at one civ and make a good start for when your religious units come in.

My strategy usually winds up being to initially build up as much faith generation capacity as possible, both through holy sites and other means, and then not spend that much of it except to maintain my own cities' religions, until I'm sitting on a huge faith stockpile. Then I make a ton of units and try to convert every single city in a neighboring civ that already has a religion. You want to eliminate at least some of the other religions entirely - not because it's the victory condition but because other religions will undo your hard work if you let them. It's better to save up your faith for fifty turns and convert every single city at once than to convert ALMOST every city and then watch it pump out inquisitors and retake almost all of them.

If you're hurting for era score, declare war on someone of a different religion and send well-defended waves of religious units in to convert all their cities, you get like 4 era score for each one.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So, after buying the kitchen sink edition after not playing since Vanilla, some very opinionated impressions etc:

-After a few false starts, did an Emperor Germany game, 8 player Pangea Domination (just to try out the new industrial districts, and by good luck I got the 3-way spiral off of my capital, nice); and my second game was Immortal Korea, 6 player 7-seas map, Science. Turned the disasters down to 0 for the second game.

-Power is cool. Stockpiled strategics seem good.
-The new GDRs are hilarous
-Natural disaster kinda suck. The volcanoes are cool since they're very opt-in, risk/reward, but randomly getting half a city hosed by a hurricane, then losing all the builders and improvements when a tornado spawns on them as they where repairing... like what's fun about that? That happened before any co2 issues too! Flood plains are everywhere too and they're not really opt-in, as water and river bonuses can't really be ignored. The Global warming thing is very heavy-handed and doesn't make for a fun story, and the game mechanics themselves seem a bit cynical; the first to coal wins the game, everyone else dies in the smog and tsunamis?
-lol at being able to participate in religion now since they fixed a typo. Amazing. Also everyone bum-rushes science now but that's fine since it's "correct" play.
-Emergencies are non-functional, I'm surprised it wasn't fixed in a patch or something. Firaxis really should be getting flak for that! I mean non-functional in that "AI refuses to donate 1gold" so they're auto-wins for the player, boo.
-The rest of the World Council is... not my favorite. On my first trial games that where on continents, I was getting/recieving votes from people I hadn't met yet. Mystery people voting me down! The hell. The resolutions themselves are only slightly targeted and I didn't really feel like I was "playing politics". (So like civ5 I guess?)
-Looking at all I wrote up there, it seems like I'm poo-pooing entire 2nd expansion except for Power. If you disable Gathering Storm do you lose all the small mechanical improvements? There's a lot of good stuff in there otherwise.

-I've not done a lot with Loyalty, but I really like the governors
-Unfortunately, with the new Governors, Golden Ages, Government District Buildings, Suzerains, Policies, and all that jazz, I found it kind of hard to keep track of all the small but significant bonuses as they're all listed in different places. I'd make a choice and forget why the timing was so important when I came back later in the day =[

-This is more of a generic Civ6 criticism, but I feel that there's way waaay too few external pressures in the game. After playing a few other 4X's and coming back I'm kinda shocked how happy the game is to just let you goldfish and hit next turn for 200+ times. Barbarians are the 'correct' amount of pressure imo. So that being said, any advice on those kooky game modes to use? Barbarian Clans? Zombies?

That all sounds very negative what I wrote but maybe its easier to remember the bad than the good. Really did enjoy the games but I'd prefer a bit more push & shove, I might do Deity on archipelago and pick out a bunch of warmonger AIs? Overhaul mods maybe?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

A good write-up. I absolutely hate everything about Gathering Storm except for power and the smaller mechanics.

I want to add something that shows how little the game respects its own design: You can't remove strategic resources from the map. The game wants you to meticulously design your cities by choosing your farm triangles, planning districts for maximum output, and the like. Then after you do all of that; a piece of coal or iron shows up on the map an ruins your entire plan.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Civ 4 was the best civ. No contest.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Serephina posted:

So, after buying the kitchen sink edition after not playing since Vanilla, some very opinionated impressions etc:

-lol at being able to participate in religion now since they fixed a typo. Amazing. Also everyone bum-rushes science now but that's fine since it's "correct" play.

I don't even know about this part, details?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Stefan Prodan posted:

I don't even know about this part, details?

there was a misspelling of 'yeild' in one of the xmls governing ai's relative priorities, causing all the ai to overweight faith generation. even if they had no advantage to religion.

https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/84d5cz/firaxis_please_fix_ai_crippled_by_dumb_typo/

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh hey here's a news article on it, it was found here on SA? lol

https://www.pcgamesn.com/civilization-6/civilization-6-AI-misspelling-bug

The difference as a casual player was night and day (if you've not played with it prior to the patch), Stonehenge being slammed instantly and veritable seas of missionaries.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Serephina posted:

Actually that's likely due to a typo as well, the AI increases its valuation of science by 25 every era, except classical where the increase is 250% instead. That might be intentional, but I'm not inclined to give Firaxis the benefit of the doubt.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
This game is a bafflingly infuriating mix of insane, poorly-thought-out design decisions. But I still think the game is better with Gathering Storm than without.

Most natural disasters are good things. Sure, they may damage a couple buildings and improvements, maybe kill a pop or two, but they increase the yields of your land. Forest fires in particular are OP (although also quite deadly to your population), guaranteed +1 production +1 food. Floodplains can also sometimes get to insane yields. It's a bit of a crap-shoot, as sometimes you'll get stuff damaged and none of the yields will increase in places that are relevant, but overall IMO getting hit with disasters tends to be a good thing in the long run.

Except droughts, droughts never increase yields. gently caress DROUGHTS. Never settle near a seven-tile hexagon of unforested land that includes plains.

As for game modes, here's a short summary:
  • Secret Societies: a new way to spend governor titles on some weird bonus supernatural stuff
  • Corps/Monopolies: when you get two or three of the same luxury, you now have something to do with it besides sell it to an AI player
  • Tech & Civic Shuffle: name explains it
  • Heroes: unlock powerful units, some of which have insane broken abilities (even in peacetime)
  • Barbarian Clans: you can now bribe barbarians to leave your cities alone, and buy units from them, and if you do that enough and/or wait long enough they become a city-state
  • Dramatic Ages: in vanilla civ6, dark ages aren't actually bad for you. Well, now they are, 'cause you lose a city to rebellion when you dark age. Also, no normal ages anymore.
  • Apocalypse Mode: you can cause your own natural disasters on purpose in your or neutral territory, except that they don't increase yields (except forest fires). Also sometimes you throw your units in a volcano for funsies, and if the game goes long enough you get apocalyptic meteors.
  • Zombie Mode: periodically, and also whenever any non-zombie unit dies, zombies pop up. You can build traps and stuff for them but in practice it's never worth doing.

I play with Secret Societies, Corps/Monopolies, Tech & Civic Shuffle, Heroes, and Barbarian Clans pretty much every time, although you might not want to introduce all of those at once.

I kinda like Dramatic Ages but there's a game-crippling bug in it. Apocalypse mode is cool but has an obvious game-breaking exploit in it. Zombie mode is incredibly unfun and unbalanced in my experience - you either get turbofucked by them and lose or they turbofuck your neighbors and you win.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I think secret societies, heroes, products/corporations, barbarian clans are all interesting, BUT I think all of them are just varying degrees of difficulty reduction, heroes being the most favorable to the player out of all of them. Like I just do not even see the CPU use the hero abilities at all, I've never had a unit deleted by Beowulf or a luxury deleted by Anansi, etc. It also gives you an incredibly powerful unit at the start of the game which reduces the head start the CPU has over you by a TON, like if you get Hercules or Hippolyta or Beowulf or another of the really strong military heroes you can just go to town immediately on the CPU in a way that's very difficult on deity with many civs.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Dramatic Ages is also great because you get the golden age effects as policies, so if you have more than one yellow? slot you can stack up the great bonuses

Goa Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 23, 2021

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The Human Crouton posted:

I want to add something that shows how little the game respects its own design: You can't remove strategic resources from the map. The game wants you to meticulously design your cities by choosing your farm triangles, planning districts for maximum output, and the like. Then after you do all of that; a piece of coal or iron shows up on the map an ruins your entire plan.
I thought this was a good idea, so that you don't remove a resource you didn't know you had, and would need later in the game.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

A more elegant solution might have been to allow districts and wonders to be built on strategics and luxuries, and supply them like they were the related improvement.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

LonsomeSon posted:

A more elegant solution might have been to allow districts and wonders to be built on strategics and luxuries, and supply them like they were the related improvement.

This is how they work if the resource was undetected until you built on it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

You can use Maui and Anansi to search out or remove them, if they're available to you. Of course that requires the requisite mode and hero unlocks.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Corporations are kinda weird. Monopolies seem ludicrously difficult/RNG to pull off (can you even get them for 1-2 resource thingies special events give?), heavy industries come in rather late for how much work you've put in to setting them up, and my favorite is how they require you to have been stockpiling great people for a while, but that's fine as great merchants suck so nobody cares if you chuck them into a bonfire.

Separate topic and maybe I'm just bad at the game, but I really struggle with getting golden ages on Deity as I can't afford to spam wonders and the AI is positively screaming through the Eras.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Gotta save some things, like your first corporation, or creating a hero. Send Amani on a diplomatic tour to become several suzerains, and if you have spare cash you can levy troops. Later on, complete a religion or start the inquisition. Use spare faith to hire an expensive great person (or finish off one you're near). If you have no money or faith you will struggle. I tend to get golden ages most ages to the point its a bit of a crutch for me now!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Stefan Prodan posted:

I think this is a first for me, I won a game where I was dead last in score the entire time on deity

Menelik cool it with the yields buddy jesus christ!!!

I keep having games on Immortal were the AI never seems to go above a 300-400 combat str and most of the time sits at 0-100. Maybe I should do deity more.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

ded posted:

I keep having games on Immortal were the AI never seems to go above a 300-400 combat str and most of the time sits at 0-100.

I struggle with this too. I bought the game on sale recently, and while I like some of the systems (global warming mechanic aside), the fact that the AI often completely fails to build a military even on the second highest difficulty is making the game extremely boring. I don't know if they are going into a debt spiral that forces them to disband units or something else entirely, but they often sit at 0 combat strength even when they haven't been at war for dozens of turns.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I've noticed the AI getting absolutely dumpstered on by barbarian tribes. So many stolen worker units and almost zero tile improvements.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

DontMockMySmock posted:

Most natural disasters are good things. Sure, they may damage a couple buildings and improvements, maybe kill a pop or two, but they increase the yields of your land. Forest fires in particular are OP (although also quite deadly to your population), guaranteed +1 production +1 food. Floodplains can also sometimes get to insane yields. It's a bit of a crap-shoot, as sometimes you'll get stuff damaged and none of the yields will increase in places that are relevant, but overall IMO getting hit with disasters tends to be a good thing in the long run.

One of my favorite late game things to do once I've researched Conservation is to build cities in the tundra totally surrounded by lumber mills, which make for real solid "default" tiles.

Did you know that a blizzard is guaranteed to kill a pop if it's working a lumber mill within the affected area? Had a city go from pop 10 to pop 1 in a single turn. Blizzards can gently caress off also.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Did you know that a blizzard is guaranteed to kill a pop if it's working a lumber mill within the affected area? Had a city go from pop 10 to pop 1 in a single turn. Blizzards can gently caress off also.

Blizzard's issues with workers continues

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

poly and open-minded posted:

Blizzard's issues with workers continues

:golfclap:

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

ded posted:

I've noticed the AI getting absolutely dumpstered on by barbarian tribes. So many stolen worker units and almost zero tile improvements.

To be honest I often get my rear end handed by barbs, more than by the AI. Maybe I don't scout right, or I should pay them off?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm of the strong opinion that 2 early slingers are basically mandatory, definitely before your monument even. Maybe one in three games it might be pre-emptive, but usually having slingers already out and patrolling to dumpster the initial scout is so worth.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

:ussr:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

One of my favorite late game things to do once I've researched Conservation is to build cities in the tundra totally surrounded by lumber mills, which make for real solid "default" tiles.

By the time you have conservation I think tundra cities should probably just be used for preserves right? They're usually very high appeal for whatever reason, next to coast with no marsh or jungle I guess.

Your thing sounds cool too tho I've never tried that, by then they must be like 4 production each or something?

I always also forget to in fill my land if I have any like unwatered land that I wouldn't have settled early on once I have neighborhoods and sewers and they could actually grow

Random question but era score is only generated if you build a district that's +3 or greater at the time it's built right?

So if you build like a +2 campus and improve it later with other districts or a government center it's not going to give you era score?

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 29, 2021

germlin
May 31, 2011
Fun Shoe
Yes, only adjacency when it`s finished counts.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I started a game as the Maya and wanted to build tall and remain mostly peaceful.

I explored to the left, and found the Matterhorn.

Then I explored to the right, and found the Giant's Causeway.

Oh well, here I go murdering again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Chikimiki posted:

To be honest I often get my rear end handed by barbs, more than by the AI. Maybe I don't scout right, or I should pay them off?

Build more units.