Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
Folks, how noisy are AIO water coolers? I've never used one before. I would be looking for a top brand 3 fan one. Are they like sitting next to a fish tank or are they as quiet as a big air cooler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

wibble posted:

Folks, how noisy are AIO water coolers? I've never used one before. I would be looking for a top brand 3 fan one. Are they like sitting next to a fish tank or are they as quiet as a big air cooler?

I got the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240mm running on my 3600 and it's very quiet - well, certainly the pump isn't audible at all compared to the fans, and the fans are two arctic 120mms, which are well-regarded in general. I imagine with a 3x140mm fan one like they do it would be extremely quiet indeed.

Recommend the Arctic ones in general, they consistently have the best noise and cooling levels.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think I've forgotten most of my networking classes, so pardon the complete braindead-ed-ness of this question:

If I'm fine with the wi-fi coming from the cable modem provided by my ISP, but I do want more LAN ports, what I can do is to buy a switch (NOT a router), and then connect the switch to the cable modem via LAN cable, and any other device connected to the switch's ports (via LAN cable) will get internet through my cable modem, without me having to do any further network configuration

is that right?

if it is, would something like this https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/5-port-switch/ls1005g/ be fine for home use?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If your ISP supplied modem is one of those combination modem/routers (which if it has Wi-Fi, it is) then that’s correct. It should just be plug and play, no configuration required.

I’ve used cheap TP-link and trendnet routers in my house for years, they’re perfectly fine.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

For case fans, do people generally use some kind of curve? Or should I just park them at the highest non-annoying rpm and not worry about it much?

Still pretty new to the idea of messing around with settings like this, so maybe I'm just overthinking it.

e: right now they're using the "silent" curve I saw in the bios, which in practice has them at about 50% all the time.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 17, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Case fans have the least impact on the performance/temp of the important components (assuming modern system with 2-4 intake fans and 1-2 exhaust fans). If they're on, they're doing great. I set mine to just below the audible level and leave them there. If you have a GPU and CPU which both exhaust to the inside of the case you might want to ramp them up with the CPU/GPU temp but I really don't think you'll find a big difference.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

a kitten posted:

For case fans, do people generally use some kind of curve? Or should I just park them at the highest non-annoying rpm and not worry about it much?

Still pretty new to the idea of messing around with settings like this, so maybe I'm just overthinking it.

e: right now they're using the "silent" curve I saw in the bios, which in practice has them at about 50% all the time.

Yeah its personal preference. I run silent with an oh poo poo mode at 60c for 100% fan.

Only heard it once on a very hot day while playing VR. Decided that was a good time to clean my case.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Case fans have the least impact on the performance/temp of the important components (assuming modern system with 2-4 intake fans and 1-2 exhaust fans

Ah whoops, yeah it is, it's this but with a tower cooler on the CPU that pretty much points right at the rear exhaust fan.

In any case, nothing seems either too hot nor too loud so I'll probably find a speed I can live with and set it there or maybe just leave it alone since it's working just fine. Thanks all!

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

wibble posted:

If you can hear the pump past the first time you spin it up it's probably positioned poorly. Other than that it's only as loud as the fans attached to the radiator. Which generally can be swapped out if the included ones aren't to your liking.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Extremely quiet, much more quiet per cooling work than air cooler in my experience. Especially before the fluid is fully up to temp and it's just a heat sink.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It depends on the brand and some older AIOs had loud pumps, but anything using the newest Asetek pump designs should be fine (which is most AIOs due to Asetek's ridiculous patent enforcement). Some non-Asetek AIOs are even better, like the Arctic Liquid Freezer II, Lian Li Galahad, or EK AIO. I've heard some not-great things about some of the AIOs that use weird pump locations like in the middle of the tubing or the radiator. Just read around for some reviews and avoid any that seem obviously bad, with GamersNexus being the most reliable when it comes to cooler reviews (though they really haven't reviewed enough, sadly).

The case fan thing is very much dependent on your case's airflow properties. A solid front panel with thin intakes along the sides like the prebuilt you linked will not scale well to higher fan speeds. It may be the case that you'll only get something like a one degree difference between high and low speeds in that because there's only so much air that can be pulled through those openings (at least with the presumably mediocre fans it ships with). Cases with very good ventilation can see a much bigger impact from spinning up the fans. A well-optimized case fan curve can be useful for keeping overall noise levels down if it means your coolers have to spin up less. Though yes, cooler performance tends to be more important in either scenario, with the caveat that even the best coolers will underperform in cases with downright terrible airflow.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 17, 2021

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I've got an old three-pin fan and a new four-pin fan. I bought a fan splitter with one four-pin connector and one three-pin (from what I understand, that's normal for fan splitters because one of the pins Does A Thing). I plugged my three-pin fan into the four-pin connection, and my four-pin fan into the three-pin connection. Both fans are running, temps are normal, though I haven't booted up anything more intensive than cookie clicker. Have I done anything bad?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Black Griffon posted:

I've got an old three-pin fan and a new four-pin fan. I bought a fan splitter with one four-pin connector and one three-pin (from what I understand, that's normal for fan splitters because one of the pins Does A Thing). I plugged my three-pin fan into the four-pin connection, and my four-pin fan into the three-pin connection. Both fans are running, temps are normal, though I haven't booted up anything more intensive than cookie clicker. Have I done anything bad?

You can only control the two fans together as one unit, one way at a time. So when your motherboard has them in PWM mode, the three-pin fan will be at a fixed RPM since it can't receive a PWM signal, and when they're in DC mode, the four-pin fan won't be taking advantage of its PWM control feature. But otherwise it's fine. The only thing that fourth pin does is handle the PWM signal, so there's nothing to worry about when plugging a three-pin fan into a four-pin header or y-splitter.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Right on. So the sensible way is probably to have the three-pin in the three-pin, which means ground, 12V and one empty space, and the four-pin in the four-pin so I get full functionality for one fan? Don't really mind the old fan running fixed.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You can plug in three-pin fans wherever. When one is plugged into a four-pin header on your motherboard, your motherboard will realize that nothing is plugged into the PWM pin and respond accordingly. DC fans work by regulating the voltage, while PWM fans work by limiting its duty cycle, rapidly turning on and off. PWM fans generally have finer control and work over a wider range. The fan pinout is ground, 12V, tach, PWM. If your "three-pin" DC fan only has ground and 12V but no tach, then it may run on 12V only anyway. Apparently some of the cheaper fans out there are like that. The PWM fan should be plugged into a four-pin header on your motherboard though, yeah.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I've got an ASRock Z370M Pro4 motherboard. A Geforce GTX 1080 Ti graphics card in the PCIe 1 and 2 slots and a Datapath capture card in the 4th PCIe slot. I'm trying to install a sound card in the third PCIe slot and it is not being detected. If I take my capture card out and put the sound card in that slot, the sound card is recognized and works but my capture card won't fit in the third PCIe slot to even test it.

Anyone have any ideas? Is there a setting or something I need to change somewhere? I read something about lane sharing and maybe the third PCIe slot doesn't work because the other slots are used, but I don't know if that applies here and didn't see anything in the motherboard manual.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

katkillad2 posted:

I've got an ASRock Z370M Pro4 motherboard. A Geforce GTX 1080 Ti graphics card in the PCIe 1 and 2 slots and a Datapath capture card in the 4th PCIe slot. I'm trying to install a sound card in the third PCIe slot and it is not being detected. If I take my capture card out and put the sound card in that slot, the sound card is recognized and works but my capture card won't fit in the third PCIe slot to even test it.

Anyone have any ideas? Is there a setting or something I need to change somewhere? I read something about lane sharing and maybe the third PCIe slot doesn't work because the other slots are used, but I don't know if that applies here and didn't see anything in the motherboard manual.

Your motherboard manual should have a chart showing the possible PCIe configurations, don't know the quality of ASRock documentation but I have yet to see a motherboard manual that doesn't have something like that. (Keep in mind a NVMe SSD may also be consuming some of your PCIe lanes.)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It appears as though this motherboard should support that configuration. It sounds like you tested the sound card in slot 4. Have you tried seeing if the sound card works in slot 3 without the capture card plugged in? If the answer is still no, then I'd wager there's a bios option somewhere that needs to be toggled, or that slot is just dead somehow. Try resetting the bios to factory defaults.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I have a question about a strange behaviour of my work computer (that lives in my home):

The computer is an HP-something, with Ryzen cpu, and has two NVME drives put in. Is on most of the time. When there's a long weekend or (like now) a holiday I turn it off. However, when I turn it back on, one of the NVME drives simply does not show up. Not in the BIOS, not in linux, it's just not present. To fix it, I unplug the power cord for about 10 seconds, plug it back in and it starts and all is good. Both drives show up just fine.

What could be the cause for all this? Should I bother getting it to IT to ... do something about it? I wonder, if there's current that's flowing all the time through the drive, could there be a danger of it catching fire?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well it’s not going to catch fire but it could be a failing drive and if it’s a work computer you should definitely have it checked.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I've recently gotten a Wacom One and when I tried to use the HDMI port on my computer it isn't working (no signal). I tried a second monitor with a different HDMI cable as well (I use it with my work laptop) and it also does not receive an input signal. My graphics card is updated, I've done the windows+P trick but my computer does not detect multiple monitors. Any advice on what I can do to fix this?

Edit: I'd like to note my computer uses Windows and I've tried going into Display to detect multiple monitors but it didn't detect anything else

Desperate Character fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 26, 2021

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Take a picture of what you are plugging things into.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Some motherboards will disable the onboard port if there's a GPU installed. Also, you could have an HDMI port on your mobo but not the right processor to run it. Are you for sure plugging into the graphics card port?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

quote != edit

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

CloFan posted:

Some motherboards will disable the onboard port if there's a GPU installed. Also, you could have an HDMI port on your mobo but not the right processor to run it. Are you for sure plugging into the graphics card port?

Yeah after I made my post I dust-cleaned my computer to see if I messed up the wiring then realized for over five years after I built this thing myself I never removed the black caps on the outside of the graphics card revealing the two ports that were there all along. Everything works now.

I thought the caps were just decorative this whole time :negative:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Desperate Character posted:

Yeah after I made my post I dust-cleaned my computer to see if I messed up the wiring then realized for over five years after I built this thing myself I never removed the black caps on the outside of the graphics card revealing the two ports that were there all along. Everything works now.

I thought the caps were just decorative this whole time :negative:

If this is where you're at you should check if your RAM is xmp enabled in your bios (if it's xmp ram).

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The SSD my in WFH PC died, which was a OCZ Agility3 that I purchased probably around 2012. No big deal, somehow my USB HD reader could still access it, and imaged it onto a used Samsung 850 SSD I had spare.

It felt like I got a new PC. Night and day difference in snappiness when just doing basic productivity tasks in windows.

Have SSDs really perceptively gotten that much better in the last decade, or was it likely dying for a while, slowing down i/o, and just reached the breaking point?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Chuu posted:

The SSD my in WFH PC died, which was a OCZ Agility3 that I purchased probably around 2012. No big deal, somehow my USB HD reader could still access it, and imaged it onto a used Samsung 850 SSD I had spare.

It felt like I got a new PC. Night and day difference in snappiness when just doing basic productivity tasks in windows.

Have SSDs really perceptively gotten that much better in the last decade, or was it likely dying for a while, slowing down i/o, and just reached the breaking point?

The sequential read and write performance that sits as the centerpiece of every drive's marketing is mostly the same between then and now (for SATA drives), but random read and write performance has advanced considerably since then, and that's the main driver of performance for most tasks that don't involve file copying. From what I'm seeing, the 850 EVO's IOPS ratings are 3 - 4 times higher than the OCZ Agility 3's, depending on the capacity of the drive used. There are no apples to apples comparisons that I'm finding between those two specific drives, but similar benchmarks from anandtech puts the 850 EVO as at least twice as fast as the Agility 3 when it comes to low queue depth random reads. The 850 isn't even a recent drive--it's seven years old now. Newer SSDs are much faster in this regard, especially NVMe drives. We've reached the point where drive speed is no longer a limiting factor for most home user applications, and it's processing speed and latency and such that are the biggest bottlenecks now.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Dec 27, 2021

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The sequential read and write performance that sits as the centerpiece of every drive's marketing is mostly the same between then and now (for SATA drives), but random read and write performance has advanced considerably since then, and that's the main driver of performance for most tasks that don't involve file copying. From what I'm seeing, the 850 EVO's IOPS ratings are 3 - 4 times higher than the OCZ Agility 3's, depending on the capacity of the drive used. There are no apples to apples comparisons that I'm finding between those two specific drives, but similar benchmarks from anandtech puts the 850 EVO as at least twice as fast as the Agility 3 when it comes to low queue depth random reads. The 850 isn't even a recent drive--it's seven years old now. Newer SSDs are much faster in this regard, especially NVMe drives. We've reached the point where drive speed is no longer a limiting factor for most home user applications, and it's processing speed and latency and such that are the biggest bottlenecks now.

So my main PC right now is using a 2TB Samsung Evo 860 M.2 SATA drive. Does this mean if I upgraded to a nvme drive there would be a perceptual difference?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I want to hook up my macbook to my monitor, keyboard/mouse, webcam, and microphone. I've been looking at usb-c KVMs and they're pricey and some won't even charge the laptop. Has anyone got suggestions on which would be worthwhile? I'm totally fine going down to a basic usb-c switch as I can use a breakout hub to connect the laptop directly via hdmi and manually switch the monitor as I don't really know how to hook it all up with my GPU.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Chuu posted:

So my main PC right now is using a 2TB Samsung Evo 860 M.2 SATA drive. Does this mean if I upgraded to a nvme drive there would be a perceptual difference?

Do you do simultaneous reads and writes to a database or something like that? Do you get bottle-necked downloaded/decompressing when pulling games off of steam? Are you IO bottle-necked in game loads or is your CPU the limiting factor?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Chuu posted:

NVMe drives may feel a little bit faster and snappier than high-end SATA drives, but it won't be the huge difference you saw when replacing that ancient OCZ drive

TechPowerUp does good real-world testing in their SSD reviews, which shows how little drive speed matters now for most tasks. Going by the full benchmark charts in their latest review, the 860 Evo is 1.5 seconds slower at loading Windows than a 980 Pro, which is Samsung's fastest drive right now. The 860 struggles in their VMWare tests, though. The 980 Pro is about 20% faster when decrypting steam games. File copying is the one area where NVMe drives are allowed to truly stretch their legs, with the 980 Pro completing a windows ISO copy in a fifth of the time. The one thing you can see in all of TPU's tests though is how little of a difference there is between most NVMe drives.

Beyond a certain point, drive performance stops mattering and you start running into other bottlenecks in your system. That point seems to be not too far beyond where current SATA drives are at. As a result most NVMe drives are the same for typical home users. That makes the 970 Evo a smarter purchase than the 980 Pro, though the smartest purchase right now is probably the SN570 for being cheap and fast at most things that matter (though I really wish WD used more SLC cache). Perhaps as hardware gets better and files get larger, we'll see a bigger difference with fast NVMe drives, but right now it doesn't matter too much. This also means that you probably don't have to sweat it too much with your current SATA drive. There are certainly some performance gains you can get here and there, but it's not gonna feel like a whole new PC like how your other drive upgrade felt.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Lol, what the hell is wrong with the crucial bx500?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It appears as though this motherboard should support that configuration. It sounds like you tested the sound card in slot 4. Have you tried seeing if the sound card works in slot 3 without the capture card plugged in? If the answer is still no, then I'd wager there's a bios option somewhere that needs to be toggled, or that slot is just dead somehow. Try resetting the bios to factory defaults.

I tried to see if the soundcard works in slot 3 without the capture card and it doesn't. Interestingly, there is an option in the bios for the onboard audio and when left on automatic it says that it will be disabled if a sound card is detected and the Realtek HD Audio disappears when I plug the sound card in. So somehow it's detecting a sound card and not detecting the sound card at the same time :psyduck: Tried enabling it instead of leaving it on automatic and the Realtek HD Audio stayed while the sound card was plugged in, but made no difference with getting the sound card to work. Tried resetting the bios and it made no difference. It does look like there is a bios update for this motherboard, but it didn't work when I tried to update it.

Anything on here look like what I'm looking for to make changes? I read the descriptions and nothing jumped out at me as being obvious to get the PCIe 3 slot working with my soundcard. There are other toggles/options with other categories but this was the only set that looked like it had anything to do with the PCIe slots.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 27, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Rinkles posted:

Lol, what the hell is wrong with the crucial bx500?

No DRAM

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Recommendation for a decent webcam? It’ll be used for Teams and possibly OBS. Not for streaming, I have some presentations and a project defense that have been moved online, and I’d like it to be a step up from the built-in laptop cams most people are using.

I have a budget of roughly 200$ although I’m not sure if that much is necessary.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The market for webcams isn't great. The segment is stuck between people using built-in devices,just wanting cheap over anything else, and those wanting quality using high end cameras combined with HDMI capture devices. For that budget you could look at the Elgato Facecam. Also look at the RAZER KIYO PRO, or something by Avermedia.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 29, 2021

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thanks a lot, video is kinda out of my wheelhouse. The Kiyo Pro and Elgato Facecam are both available in my neck of the woods. Any reason I should choose one over the other?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I'd look on Youtube for reviews. eg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAnD1cV9ANI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MNjNw_OxEE

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My UPS is eight and a half years old (batteries are only two). Is it time to get a new one?