Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
https://twitter.com/StarTribune/status/1474080564105854981
Verdict for this trial will be read at 1:30 PM CST. For those unfamiliar, this is the ex-police officer who killed Daunte Wright in Brooklyn Center (MN) last year during a traffic stop. TBH, I'm not optimistic about this...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The same people that demonized blue collar labor as jobs for poors and sent them overseas are the same people that tell you that the only useful education and good jobs are in technology or engineering. I don't trust them. I'd rather do my undergrad in English or studio art again a hundred million times over and just settle with being a postal worker or some kind of government clerk than be a computer toucher.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Herstory Begins Now posted:

E: \/ yeah that's what apprentices are for

Yeah I love having the apprentices when we can get some. They're in pretty high demand. I just try to see how the tiniest woman and the beefiest muscle guy do a given job because they'll usually do stuff smart/right while us average guys are heaving with our backs like morons.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Biden's sitdown interview with ABC News is out.

Nothing too exciting. The only "major" thing was that he finally endorsed getting rid of the filibuster, but that doesn't really materially change the situation on its own.

The highlights:

- Regrets not moving on free home testing kits two months ago.

- No military action if Russia invades Ukraine, but they have already partnered with the E.U. and other countries to "swiftly" implement "very strong economic penalties" if they invade. No specifics.

- Finally endorsed ending the filibuster.

- Thinks there is a way forward on BBB before January 15th. Plan is basically: :shrug: and hope something happens.

- Considering requiring vaccinations for domestic flights.

- Will run for re-election unless something happens in the next 3 years that makes him medically unable to.

- Thinks "accountability is necessary" for January 6th and people responsible should be held accountable, even people in the previous administration, but DOJ will be handling and he will not make it political by interfering.

- Manchin is back having "productive" talks about BBB. He said the large public backlash, party backlash, and Goldman Sachs/Economic analysts saying that not passing BBB would hurt economy in 2022 had an impact on him.

- Not willing to jettison child tax credit, but flexible on other options. Thinks he will get "a significant amount of what we need to get done" in final bill.

- Changing the definition of "fully vaccinated" to include booster shots likely coming.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 23, 2021

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Just do what I did and join the Navy for six years, then work a well-paying but horrible job for three years, then get a decent job with great work-life balance and more reporting requirements than actual work involved. I only had to be constantly poo poo on for most of a decade and get sleep apnea to get here. But I do own a house in a good school district, AKA a rich people place despite being born and growing up poor. We're like the Beverly Hillbillies.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1474062753010786312

- Guys, you just need to hold-out until the mid-terms.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dante80 posted:

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1474062753010786312

- Guys, you just need to hold-out until the mid-terms.

For Trump, even being under investigation at all is too much for his ego, especially where the election is concerned.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Kalit posted:

Verdict for this trial will be read at 1:30 PM CST. For those unfamiliar, this is the ex-police officer who killed Daunte Wright in Brooklyn Center (MN) last year during a traffic stop. TBH, I'm not optimistic about this...

Guilty on all counts

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Kalit posted:

Found guilty on both counts, I'm glad my pessimism was wrong

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Kalit posted:

Found guilty on both counts, I'm glad my pessimism was wrong

gently caress yeah, she's guilty!

Just a note for you and others posting tweets - the headline of the linked story shown in the tweet actually changed between the time you first posted it and now. I've never noticed that before, but it's incredibly obnoxious on Twitter's part to allow that to even happen.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- No military action if Russia invades Ukraine, but they have already partnered with the E.U. and other countries to "swiftly" implement "very strong economic penalties" if they invade. No specifics.

A bit disappointing, Biden should've reserved the US's right to a flexible response including military action; by maintaining an ambiguous posture it gives the US more leeway in how to respond to Russia. Now its basically given the greenlight.

e: vv

camoseven posted:

If Russia invaded Ukraine that's their business and the US has no reason to be there on either side

If Germany invades Poland that's their business and the Allies had no reason to be there on either side.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 23, 2021

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Raenir Salazar posted:

A bit disappointing, Biden should've reserved the US's right to a flexible response including military action; by maintaining an ambiguous posture it gives the US more leeway in how to respond to Russia. Now its basically given the greenlight.

If Russia invaded Ukraine that's their business and the US has no reason to be there on either side

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Two nuclear states cannot go to war even slightly

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

camoseven posted:

Is this the best take of this situation you have?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Russia is trying to reassert its regional hegemony. The US just got out of another forever war, the last thing you want to do is get directly into a shooting war with a nuclear armed power.

Morally of course we want to defend Ukraine’s independence. But in practice there’s nothing to gain from being involved in that fight. Ukraine was a de facto Russian puppet until the maidan movement anyway. Nobody wants to die for them except Ukrainian exiles. This is no different than the battles Russia fought in Georgia to bring them into line.

The former Russian Empire/ Soviet Union is just trying to reassert its former territorial holdings.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

parasyte posted:

They can't address it that way. I mean aside from the current SCOTUS makeup, Schenck is no longer even good law and neither are the clear and present danger or bad tendency tests used in it. The current standard is imminent lawless action, which is that speech is only not protected if it is both inciting imminent lawless action, and likely to succeed.

Vaccine disinfo, while abhorrent, generally meets neither of those. There's nothing imminent or lawless about shouting false things about vaccines.

Thanks for the clarification, even if I don't like the implications. I guess we just have to make the truth more believable than the lies...

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

CommieGIR posted:

I only post in good faith in this thread.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

haveblue posted:

The US has definitely lost its nuclear edge, the Russian investment in hypersonic, orbital, and low-altitude nuclear systems mean that they could probably missile-defense their way out of a strike from our aging ballistic missiles while laying waste to an unprepared USA with their next-gen systems.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

haveblue posted:

Pakistan & India and China & Russia and USA and Russia in Korea I guess are all outliers? As long as the US stays on the Ukrainian side of the border and doesn't do military operations like cruise missile strikes on strategic infrastructure inside Russian territory proper that would "threaten the stability of the regime" there's no reason to suppose Russia would resort to nuclear weapons first for Ukraine. The US has a large number of flexible options that wouldn't escalate to nuclear war.

Wang Commander posted:

The US has definitely lost its nuclear edge, the Russian investment in hypersonic, orbital, and low-altitude nuclear systems mean that they could probably missile-defense their way out of a strike from our aging ballistic missiles while laying waste to an unprepared USA with their next-gen systems.

This isn't even remotely true. Russia has *one* ABM system around Moscow and it wouldn't work against 90% of the platforms the US has available.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think where that actually creates an issue for reform is that you have a lot of people who correctly have a vague idea that things are bad, but the majority are also at least somewhat happy with their current situation. So, when someone comes in and says they want to bus children for example, you have people who may say the system needs to be fixed or correctly identify it's broken, but are also comfortable in their own place in the system. And I'd argue that makes it tricky for them to be agents of change.

You make a fair point, so I should be more specific. I'm encouraged because this isn't a group accepting the just world fallacy in a way that other cohorts have. These are not people looking around and going "I'm doing fine, it can't be that bad." With many attitudes, we might've expected some degree of regression there, given that Zoomers weren't in the workforce during the recession, are more likely to get through highschool and be enrolled in college than millennials, and other factors that can play into someone's material conditions. We had good reason to expect them to have a rosier economic outlook than millennials, but they're even more likely than millennials to mistrust leaving things to businesses and individuals vs government action, or to believe that systemic barriers like racism exist and are a problem.

So while you're right, I'd say that's a better problem to have than if the kids were nodding along when told "America's already pretty great." To the extent Millennials shifted left due to the influence of economic collapse as they were entering the workforce, that seems to be sticking.

e: covid is obviously a heck of an asterisk here when talking about the economy gen Z seen, but you can find those attitudes in polling from the Before Times as well and they don't seem to have shifted.

e2:

Kraftwerk posted:

Gen Z thinks millennials are dumb for going into debt to go to college in the first place. They figured they could skip college and go straight into trading crypto/NFTs and running various online businesses to beat the system without racking up debts.
According to Pew, this is wrong. Gen Z has been more likely than Millennials to pursue a college education.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 23, 2021

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

e: vv

If Germany invades Poland that's their business and the Allies had no reason to be there on either side.

Probably a better analogy somewhere considering the ideological makeup of a lot of the anti-Russia factions and some of our allies there

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Wang Commander posted:

It is virtually guaranteed that the United States possesses equivalents to any defensive system Russia has announced, and beyond.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

eXXon posted:

I'm trying to imagine how Republicans would spin a Canadian-born (almost forgot to renounce his citizenship whoopsee), Princeton and Harvard-educated Texan candidate if he were a Democrat.

I would like to note that part of the renunciation process is writing a short essay about why you don't want to be a Canadian anymore. I would very much like to read Ted's essay.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The notion that you can do anything to stop an ICBM-based nuclear attack is pure fantasy and grift. Like even the anti-carrier ones being developed are probably just too fast to stop and in that case we know both their intended purpose/likely payload and their flight path/destination. Like 50 of them all coming and designed to scatter warheads when close? No way. What I'm worried about is when we reach the point where people in charge of making calls start believing the advertising and my happy rear end gets nuked because President Musk's HyperDome targeted pedestrians and homeless people instead of the missiles

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I would like to note that part of the renunciation process is writing a short essay about why you don't want to be a Canadian anymore. I would very much like to read Ted's essay.
"It takes too long to get to Cancun from Canada"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Wang Commander posted:

Yeah that's not how Mutually Assured Destruction works, and no Russia doesn't have enough of any of that to negate a counterstrike.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah that's not how Mutually Assured Destruction works, and no Russia doesn't have enough of any of that to negate a counterstrike.

Everyone is losing their mind over FOBS and hypersonics, there has to be a reason. If ballistic missile MAD still held like it did in the Cold War better offensive capabilities would be irrelevant in the face of a sub-based retaliation, for this to matter we must have reached a point where ballistic missile defense is a lot more robust than anyone lets on.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Wang Commander posted:

The bolded part is just totally wrong. The U.S. could easily overwhelm Russia's ABMs with a second strike. The Tsirkon missile exists as a prestige issue to appeal to domestic audiences, as well as a "gently caress you" to the U.S. for withdrawing from the ABM Treaty, not as something that is actually intended to be used in any strategic sense.

Raenir Salazar posted:

The U.S. taking the stance you advocate here would be extremely foolish. There's no political will to take military action against Russia over Ukraine. We would back down, just as we did after Obama drew his "red line" against Assad in Syria.

e:

Wang Commander posted:

Everyone is losing their mind over FOBS and hypersonics, there has to be a reason.

Yes - it's profitable. The MIC makes a shitton of money by scaring decisionmakers and voters into thinking we need a new arms race or else we're all going to die. That doesn't make it true.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Wang Commander posted:

Everyone is losing their mind over FOBS and hypersonics, there has to be a reason. If ballistic missile MAD still held like it did in the Cold War better offensive capabilities would be irrelevant in the face of a sub-based retaliation, for this to matter we must have reached a point where ballistic missile defense is a lot more robust than anyone lets on.

It almost certainly is irrelevant but unfortunately the Lathe of Heaven in regards to US spending and priorities is held in trust between insane chuds, lobbyists, and the dumbest of right wing political cartoonists

The nuke sub fleet is about the only part of the military that isn't wholly dedicated to taking over and securing markets for private capital

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Wang Commander posted:

I assume that's just a military industrial complex thing. Any nuclear power really letting them fly is going to be an apocalypse scenario. At this point any technology improvements are to make jobs and line pockets and freaking out about what the enemy has is a great way to get money to make bigger weapons even if they make no real difference.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Biden's sitdown interview with ABC News is out.

Nothing too exciting. The only "major" thing was that he finally endorsed getting rid of the filibuster, but that doesn't really materially change the situation on its own.

The highlights:

- Regrets not moving on free home testing kits two months ago.

- Finally endorsed ending the filibuster.

- Thinks there is a way forward on BBB before January 15th. Plan is basically: :shrug: and hope something happens.

- Considering requiring vaccinations for domestic flights.

- Will run for re-election unless something happens in the next 3 years that makes him medically unable to.

- Thinks "accountability is necessary" for January 6th and people responsible should be held accountable, even people in the previous administration, but DOJ will be handling and he will not make it political by interfering.

- Manchin is back having "productive" talks about BBB. He said the large public backlash, party backlash, and Goldman Sachs/Economic analysts saying that not passing BBB would hurt economy in 2022 had an impact on him.

- Not willing to jettison child tax credit, but flexible on other options. Thinks he will get "a significant amount of what we need to get done" in final bill.

- Changing the definition of "fully vaccinated" to include booster shots likely coming.

"I support making an exception of voting rights for the filibuster."

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1474052168114229265

Did he say something in another part of the interview about getting rid of the filibuster entirely, or just for the voting-rights bill?

Because you've framed it as the former when the excerpt sounds as if it's the latter.

Do you have a link to a transcript, or a clip in which he says he's in favor of "getting rid of the filibuster" altogether?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

"I support making an exception of voting rights for the filibuster."

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1474052168114229265

Did he say something in another part of the interview about getting rid of the filibuster entirely, or just for the voting-rights bill?

Because you've framed it as the former when the excerpt sounds as if it's the latter.

Do you have a link to a transcript, or a clip in which he says he's in favor of "getting rid of the filibuster" altogether?

Nah, that was basically it. He said, "I support changing the senate rules to accommodate major pieces of legislation without requiring 60 votes," said some things are too important to leave unresolved and voting rights was one (didn't specify any others), and "If the only thing standing between getting voting rights legislation passed and not getting it passed is the filibuster, I support making an exception on voting rights for the filibuster."

Plus, some of the typical "politician evolving" lines of how he'll have more to say and things changed, so he wasn't really wrong before, etc.

None of it really matters, though. Manchin and Sinema's objections to getting rid of the filibuster weren't because they were waiting for permission.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Wild comparison considering who's fighting in ukraine

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

CommieGIR posted:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Nah, that was basically it. He said, "I support changing the senate rules to accommodate major pieces of legislation without requiring 60 votes," said some things are too important to leave unresolved and voting rights was one (didn't specify any others), and "If the only thing standing between getting voting rights legislation passed and not getting it passed is the filibuster, I support making an exception on voting rights for the filibuster."

Plus, some of the typical "politician evolving" lines of how he'll have more to say and things changed, so he wasn't really wrong before, etc.

None of it really matters, though. Manchin and Sinema's objections to getting rid of the filibuster weren't because they were waiting for permission.

Yeah, I was thrown by your framing of his "finally endorsed ending the filibuster" as somehow newsworthy when he's on the record as having said he supports ending the filibuster for a voting-rights bill as of over two months ago.

(A number of liberal outlets are also proclaiming this non-news as newsworthy, for some reason--although not framing it as you did as getting rid of the filibuster altogether.)

eta: lol, he's been claiming this since early September.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 23, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

Yeah, I was thrown by your framing of his "finally endorsed ending the filibuster" as somehow newsworthy when he's on the record as having said he supports ending the filibuster for a voting-rights bill as of over two months ago.

(A number of liberal outlets are also proclaiming this non-news as newsworthy, for some reason--although not framing it as you did as getting rid of the filibuster altogether.)

The only thing that is new is that he said "I support changing the senate rules to accommodate major pieces of legislation without requiring 60 votes," and the stuff about how he'll have more to say later, it used to be cool, but it's being abused now, etc.

He has to define what "major pieces of legislation" are, but it seems pretty clear he's nudging further on the "politician evolving" transition from "support filibuster" to "support unspecified reforms" to "support talking filibuster" to "support carve out for voting rights" to "support changing the senate rules to accommodate major pieces of legislation without requiring 60 votes."

Technically, he only said he would "entertain the idea" of a carveout "if necessary" before. So, explicitly saying they need to is slightly different.

Again, none of this matters unless Manchin + Sinema change their minds and none of King, Leahy, Sanders, Feinstein, Coons, or Warner decide to take up the filibuster torch.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Willa Rogers posted:

eta: lol, he's been claiming this since early September.

I dunno if this really makes a difference, but there's parsing here that could be news: The Hill (and Leon), at least, is reporting the line after the "Whatever it takes" exchange as "Change the senate rules to accommodate major pieces of legislation without requiring sixty votes." But I've listened to it a few times and I find it just as easy to parse the clip as being "Change the Senate rules to accommodate [a] major piece of legislation without requiring sixty votes." The carve out language first came from the reporter.

The former would be endorsing pretty much the total end of the filibuster if it means getting the voting rights bill. I'm not aware of Biden going that far before. The latter could mean still doing the hedging and maybe-we-keep-the-filibuster-a-little that was Biden's previous position, as per those links.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Yeah, he was also kinda mush-mouthed when he said what I heard as "I support making an exception of voting rights for the filibuster," interpreted by the tweet I linked as "I support making an exception on voting rights for the filibuster."

President Pop-Pop has a hard time enunciating occasionally. :dementia:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Wang Commander posted:

lol this is that thing where you get so mad at the US that you start believing Russian propaganda

The US is super awful evil empire fascist state, but also our absurd military spend gives us a huge tech edge on basically everyone, even if you figure in grift and pointless pet project like planes that melt in mild rain

Russia has a very large military but a lot of the equipment is aging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast

Jaxyon posted:

The US is super awful evil empire fascist state

We do many bad things but we aren’t a fascist state.

We potentially may become one though and lol if you think our capitalist empire is bad now.