Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

doesn't rm -rf / not even work by default these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sir please don’t kill my cattle

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

yeah I thought rm -rf / doesn’t even work because there is no non-malicious reason to have it work.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

that's why it's rm -rf /* , which does work

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That reminds me of when I worked at a webhost in 2001 and one of our BSDi boxes was breached and instead of just immediately pulling the network cable my manager insisted on pulling us into a meeting to talk about how this happened WHILE THE GUY WAS STILL ON THE BOX and when he finally let us go back to work the guy had just rm -rf / the box

I mean I think we deserved it for being so stupid tbh.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Martytoof posted:

Sir please don’t kill my cattle

Also please DO kill my pets so that the one shithead team that refuses to use chef has to rebuild.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
so if none of you read the vanilla forums, I still have access to all your Palo Alto support tickets. responding you want me to goat man your support ticket.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

don’t touch the poop

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

so if none of you read the vanilla forums, I still have access to all your Palo Alto support tickets. responding you want me to goat man your support ticket.

lol :patriot:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sickening posted:

I’m good for goatmen but if you could assign my infra team’s tickets to someone over there who has more than half a braincell that would be really cool of you, thanks in advance.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

yeah I thought rm -rf / doesn’t even work because there is no non-malicious reason to have it work.

that's why you --no-preserve-root

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
rm -rf /* is more portable than rm -rf --no-preserve-root /

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
i have an windows 10 drive with bitlocker on that I want to flatten and reinstall. this is on an SSD

in theory having windows format the drive when installing should be enough to make the data inaccesible right? since the key is lost then the data is essentially random garbage.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yes, also it's an ssd, so the minute the data is marked as deleted and then a TRIM is run, it's also unrecoverable

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

i have an windows 10 drive with bitlocker on that I want to flatten and reinstall. this is on an SSD

in theory having windows format the drive when installing should be enough to make the data inaccesible right? since the key is lost then the data is essentially random garbage.

In theory, yes. In practice, there have been quite a few fuckups.

If you need to be safe, overwrite, but most of the time it's not going to make a difference.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Just blkdiscard it. It trims, it zeroes, it secure erases, whichever you want.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sickening posted:

holy poo poo lol but please don’t touch the poop or at the very least don’t post about it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

In theory, yes. In practice, there have been quite a few fuckups.

If you need to be safe, overwrite, but most of the time it's not going to make a difference.

On SSD's overwriting may not do what you think it does.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

spankmeister posted:

On SSD's overwriting may not do what you think it does.

Oh, yeah, if you need to be properly safe, toss it in a shredder, but that should go without saying.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

holy poo poo lol but please don’t touch the poop or at the very least don’t post about it

too late i already told my uncle who works at palo alto

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Martytoof posted:

I’m good for goatmen but if you could assign my infra team’s tickets to someone over there who has more than half a braincell that would be really cool of you, thanks in advance.

Hell same.

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

Some gently caress head is randomly scanning a rfid at our smart card readers on the outside of our offices with a god drat jndi payload and the loving controller actually tried to call back. God drat you log4j. I only found it when scanning for outbound traffic attempts on our firewall. I found the payload when I grepped it’s logs. gently caress this poo poo

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sarah Problem posted:

Some gently caress head is randomly scanning a rfid at our smart card readers on the outside of our offices with a god drat jndi payload and the loving controller actually tried to call back. God drat you log4j. I only found it when scanning for outbound traffic attempts on our firewall. I found the payload when I grepped it’s logs. gently caress this poo poo

Lmfao that's brilliant.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jdni buttplugs on the horizon

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sarah Problem posted:

I love this job

now I get to mitigate this

gently caress

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
this is why i love this thread.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is why I left the IT security world

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sarah Problem posted:

"I'm in :c00l:"

This is the cyberpunk future we actually wanted, and it causes me no small amount of delight.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Volmarias posted:

This is the cyberpunk future we actually wanted, and it causes me no small amount of delight.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

Jdni buttplugs on the horizon

Brings new meaning to calling home from the inside.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.

Sarah Problem posted:

Are you willing to share the name of the vendor of the controller?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Has anyone made a back orifice joke yet?

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

FungiCap posted:

Are you willing to share the name of the vendor of the controller?

Ccure

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

fuuuck

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sarah Problem posted:

that kicks rear end.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.

Holy poo poo, I knew it. iStars with their compact edition windows pieces of poo poo. goddamn the software for the physical security industry sucks rear end

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Sarah Problem posted:

that's incredible. even more so since it's Ccure

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:sickos:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sarah Problem posted:

i feel sorry for you but also lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Volmarias posted:

this owns

if this makes you think "oh no" instead of "you clever fucker" then that sucks. but this kinda stuff is what makes blue team bearable imo

well that and the figgies and the work life balance ofc