Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the bad takes thread should be used to keep track of absolute weirdos and freaks like mikekurtz, not twitter eggs with 3 followers engaging with troll accounts because they like wwe over aew. especially not troll accounts like girloncinema because they're obviously grifting for clicks, just dont give them the exposure, it's not even funny when they're just saying stupid poo poo to get a rise out of people. if the thread is kept it should be to curate actually funny content, not to be an outlet for lid's doomscrolling addiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Just ban every poster who also has a Twitter. Problem solved.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

Just ban every poster who also has a Twitter. Problem solved.

This but the opposite, ban the friendless twitter haters

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Mmmh. I think both sides have good points.
Let's ban everyone.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

IGgy IGsen posted:

Mmmh. I think both sides have good points.
Let's ban everyone.

I have a Twitter but never use it which I think means I squeak by

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Rarity posted:

I have a Twitter but never use it which I think means I squeak by

All right, how do you feel about being the only poster here?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

What’s the sound of one gal scooping?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

IGgy IGsen posted:

All right, how do you feel about being the only poster here?

I'm already the only poster here that matters so really what's changed?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Twitter for all

*boo*

Alright, twitter for none

*boo*

I see. Twitter for some, small microwaveable hamburgers for all.

*thunderous applause*

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Man, I haven't had a micro burg in some time, maybe I'll go to the store tomorrow and buy some in time for christmas.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Now you're getting it

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i just go to white castle

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Proper minging

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The VoW Discord has a similar channel for posting bad/funny takes, except there's a rule it must be established media people or otherwise have an influential platform, not just random Twitter eggs and obvious troll accounts.

I don't know if we need a hard-and-fast rule like that, but at least take the effort to be selective about what you post in the thread. Otherwise you just turn into Dave Meltzer quote-tweeting 3-follower accounts and making GBS threads up everyone else's timelines.

Benne fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 23, 2021

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Are you saying we should have higher standards than Dave Meltzer?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
So here is where I am at, the bad takes thread can be very funny when it's either birdbrained weirdos or people doing absolutely off the wall bits, but the main point is that you think it is funny to see the post there. It is a place where if you aren't at least sensibly chuckling at a thing posted in it, you are doing it wrong.

I am prepared, and very excited, to enforce that standard if people would like it.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

That sounds like a dece thread to read and post in

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

karmicknight posted:

So here is where I am at, the bad takes thread can be very funny when it's either birdbrained weirdos or people doing absolutely off the wall bits, but the main point is that you think it is funny to see the post there. It is a place where if you aren't at least sensibly chuckling at a thing posted in it, you are doing it wrong.

I am prepared, and very excited, to enforce that standard if people would like it.

I think that would definitely help, personally.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

karmicknight posted:

100%

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

having it like that, it's going to be doing good

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Brb posting all karmic's posts in the bad takes thread

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

karmicknight posted:

thats where my mindset is

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

karmicknight posted:

A fine compromise

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

karmicknight posted:

I'm on board with this. I take a break from that thread any time something hints at raising people's blood pressure, this standard should greatly reduce the frequency of that.

As to the other topic being discussed here, yeah, it's unfortunately true that a whole bunch of wrestlers are nonces/sex pests, bigots, chuds, and other assorted shits. Discussing why you dislike those wrestlers/won't watch their stuff shouldn't be off the table, especially because sometimes people don't know but would want to know (me, for example). Not everyone wants to or should be expected to separate art from artist. But it doesn't need to come up every single time those wrestlers are discussed, either.

I feel like a dedicated thread isn't the best plan, though, at least not without a structure that probably nobody is interested in devising and enforcing. Otherwise, it would probably go the same way the Speaking Out thread did, where eventually it's one or two people posting about a lovely but insignificant fan, or about some guy who once stepped in and ran the PA system at a CZW show in 2008, just to keep the Two Minutes Hate on schedule. I want there to be a solution that everyone can tolerate, where the topic can be discussed but contained, but I don't know what that solution is.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Yeah a reasonably enforced no psycho poo poo rule is good

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

If it helps I can edit out posts that are literally just "hey look at this hate speech" or does outright wiping posts go too far

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Junpei Hyde posted:

If it helps I can edit out posts that are literally just "hey look at this hate speech" or does outright wiping posts go too far

I'd be fine with this. Like the recent post about the guy from Dynamite, seeing that has no positive value for anyone

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Junpei Hyde posted:

No, it's good rules enforcement.

The deterrence effect is reduced if, like the current example, people post replies saying hey don't post things like that but them it gets discussed for the rest of the page.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 24, 2021

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Mmh, yeah that seems like a good way to handle it, but maybe communicating it properly first would be good as well. Like, put it in the op and stuff (unless it's already there and I missed it)

Only nerds read this thread so I can't hold it against anyone for not knowing since it was always just tolerated before.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

IGgy IGsen posted:

Mmh, yeah that seems like a good way to handle it, but maybe communicating it properly first would be good as well. Like, put it in the op and stuff (unless it's already there and I missed it)

Only nerds read this thread so I can't hold it against anyone for not knowing since it was always just tolerated before.

Or maybe just start a fresh thread with the rule in place.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

disaster pastor posted:

Or maybe just start a fresh thread with the rule in place.

Also a great idea. The current one is getting kinda old.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Why is the sad cowboy dabbing?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that's hangman adam page, the millennial

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Calms down the cows.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

As much as I would love for the desire to winge about wrestling dipshits would be cured from the hearts of my Internet professional wrestling friends, I don’t know how much that is feasible so a dedicated quarantine thread is probably for the best. The dabbing cowboy has wished it into the world. Somebody buy me the Analogue Pocket and all the Wario Land games for Christmas please.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
A containment thread would be very bad in the same way the speaking out thread turned very bad.

Let pylons post the worst stuff on reddit.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The speaking out thread was a fresh hell, I agree.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

in the spirit of christmas i say we free THAT dick....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
No dicks in 2021 I will ban you.