Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
she shat on no one. if anything, the making GBS threads happened in reloaded and revolutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
like, the io stuff was a earnest attempt at advancing the world building
the characters evolved too
the analyst is what happened after the architect kept being in charge, kept his promise and there was a civil war as a result

its not some parody, it has meta elements to it, but its a sequel

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
https://twitter.com/NotABigJerk/status/1474012444716638208

https://twitter.com/JaneOst_/status/1473770704629911556

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I watched it, I did think it was a bit tacky to poo poo on WB for the first half of the movie but in retrospect it's the better part of the movie. I'm not sure why i found this much yelling toward the fourth wall more charming than Marvel dialogue.

I still think this movie was mostly just decent. The action felt kinda uninspired and yeah I think it hit 'grating' when it was just kind of bad fighting while merovingian talked about how bad it was.

It is definitely the matrix of the post-subtlety era.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Fucker posted:

she shat on no one. if anything, the making GBS threads happened in reloaded and revolutions.

2 amd 3 were earnest attempts to advance and better the story. The fact that they were failures doesn't make the first sentence false.

This movie wanted to have it both ways, and succeeded at neither

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Saw it yesterday and after sleeping on it I'm convinced it is brilliant. Likely will hold up well to multiple viewings to unpack.

Just amazing to have everyone think the movie is about some philosophical bullshit but it's actually just a love story.

Best zombie movie ever.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

checkplease posted:

Some of the behind the scenes stuff for original matrix showed how they trained those fights for months to get all of the choreography. I think Lana stylistically wanted the fights to look different (while being a call back to contrast with), but I wonder if it was also difficult to get all the actors to train for that long again.

Well whatever she was going for in this one, it looked like poo poo.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

bugs has a tattoo of a bunny on her arm in a movie produced by WB

this movie was great.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
too much discussion about things other than wikipissanshit the pinnacle of the series

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I was rewatching it and I have no idea how people can say that Keanu can't act. His complete despair during the first act, his disassociation, it's all :kiss:

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 23, 2021

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Too Many Birds posted:

bugs has a tattoo of a bunny on her arm in a movie produced by WB

this movie was great.

I don't think anyone has mentioned yet that Bugs literally says "what's up doc" when Neo is waking up

ram dass in hell posted:

too much discussion about things other than wikipissanshit the pinnacle of the series

I went for "the theater experience" and the majority of this was inaudible :(
Also during the scene where a character is pointing out silence and talking about how good it is there was yelling bleeding over from the next theater lol

VROOM VROOM fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 23, 2021

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
I spent the entire movie wondering if this was a "real" movie, or if it was some sort of elaborate prank. By the end, I still hadn't decided which I believe. Despite that, or maybe because of that, I enjoyed it.

For years I've wondered if there is some sort of standing WB studio mandate to mention other Warner Media properties in any given project as cross promotion, so that audiences are always getting reminders about who owns the Looney Tunes, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Scooby Doo, Batman, etc. And in this case, I wonder if that mandate was deservedly twisted into the "Warner Media is our parent company and demands a Matrix 4" scene, or if that was just going to happen anyway. Then we meet Bugs, "Like the Bunny", who does at one point say, "What's up, Doc?" So, I suppose they played it both ways?

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 23, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The entire film reminds me in a way of the ending of Path of Neo where the Sisters come out onscreen, explain the themes of the story and why it ends the way it does, and then goes "but we know that would suck as a final boss" so you fight a giant ubersmith and then get a cheesy happy ending where "we are the Champions" plays, just even more unsubtle

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

GD_American posted:

2 amd 3 were earnest attempts to advance and better the story. The fact that they were failures doesn't make the first sentence false.

pretty incredible that the movie that is explicitly meta ab not wanting to be made still had a plot and worldbuilding continuation for the series more well thought out and well executed than reloaded and revolutions, the supposed actual earnest attempts :cenobite:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Fucker posted:

more well thought out

lol no

quote:

and well executed

lol hell no.

There were some definite bright spots such as the synthients and I/O, but it was still nothing more than half a (bad) movie grafted onto Lana's attempt to work out her personal issues while bitchily snarking about WB

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

GD_American posted:

It half-succeeded at both making it 1 full success

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Remember when they introduce a robot character side kick right out of transformers 2? What the gently caress lmao

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

lunar detritus posted:

I was rewatching it and I have no idea how people can say that Keanu can't act. His complete despair during the first act, his disassociation, it's all :kiss:

Yeah I think Keanu got a lot more to do with his acting in this one compared to the original films. It was fun seeing all his various emotions this time.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3IHD80mK2k&t=8s

GD_American posted:

lol hell no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3IHD80mK2k&t=8s

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
all of the exposition on io + the analyst using neo and trinity as a power source after he took over >>>>> the architects "due to mathematical errors theres multiple ones, one every new reset, and each one has a choice i give them, and the choice is to reset everything again or destroy our whole programming that kills all of our crops" :buddy: :buddy: :buddy: bullshit

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

Remember when they introduce a robot character side kick right out of transformers 2? What the gently caress lmao

I chuckled, but gently caress it. If she wanted to gloss over the "now we have machine partners too" with about 45 seconds of screentime, might as well go for big air :v:

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
movie owned. action scenes were the weakest part of the movie by far, but i also think wachowski wouldn't have included them if she was able to 100% make the movie she wanted to make

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Fucker posted:

all of the exposition on io + the analyst using neo and trinity as a power source after he took over >>>>> the architects "due to mathematical errors theres multiple ones, one every new reset, and each one has a choice i give them, and the choice is to reset everything again or destroy our whole programming that kills all of our crops" :buddy: :buddy: :buddy: bullshit

"Trinity is the most important character in this movie."

(That's why she's barely in the first half, little more than a damsel in distress in the 2nd half, then has a completely unearned awakening then 10 minutes of poorly choreographed superheroism)

This whole movie was

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Fucker posted:

like, the io stuff was a earnest attempt at advancing the world building
the characters evolved too
the analyst is what happened after the architect kept being in charge, kept his promise and there was a civil war as a result

its not some parody, it has meta elements to it, but its a sequel

Agreed its a weird take to say Lana shat all over the matrix movies. This is one of the most optimistic returns to older properties around. She may not have wanted to make a sequel initially, but there is no spite to the characters here:
Neo and Trinity get a happy ending this time where they get to live and create worlds together.
Humans + programs + machines are all living together in one city as per the promise of the revolutions.
Tati comes back and seems to be doing well.
The matrix still exists yeah, but that was always going to be the case. There were always going to be those who chose to stay inside.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

VagueRant posted:

What shot is this because I literally can't think of one?

Trinity floating in the sky

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I liked how IO seemed like a callback to Zero One

Fucker posted:

ok, but the choreography is mediocre and the editing is outright poorly done. thats just bad. it has nothing to do w/ expectations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
hey movies win oscars with editing like that.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Danger posted:

Oh no! Not waste of franchise assets!

It dawned on me at some point that the JJ Abrams Star Trek films had a target audience that wasn't the general public, or newcomers to trek, as one might've expected.

I think the real primary audience is people who have seen some Star Trek and who hated all of it, but who would be down for watching new Star Trek if it did enough things to piss old fans off. I think there's a new type of reactionary meta fan every large enough franchise collects a decent amount of over time. The Last Jedi is the Star Wars equivalent.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Robot Style posted:

I know why they went with movie footage, but it would have been really funny to see the Matrix game projection looking like something out of Deus Ex.

That would have been incredible.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
So about the neo + trinity powered matrix.

The analyst is basically the modern algorithm that calculates what people like and what is best to show them to get maximum retention (max power generation).
There's definitely an aspect of neo + trinity powering via nostalgia. But there is also the whole they need not be too close together, but not too far away either. So its really a matrix of trying to be connected, but never getting there. Its social media, twitch streams, zoom, and a culture likes. Everyone is trying to be more connected, but without the direct human interaction. And if the direct in person interaction would occur, then such social media aspects may not be needed anymore and thus a collapse in the matrix/algorithm economy.

Its not subtle of course, but I thought it was a nice more modern look for the matrix.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
I can't tell if people saying this movie was good is satire?

I enjoyed all of the trilogy movies but this was a joke?

I get if you feel likes it's a chore to make a 4th movie but just don't make the movie...

- It was filmed by high school students I guess
- I have no idea what happened in the fight scenes
- the plot made me cringe the entire way through, if it was supposed to be satirical it should still make some sense.
- Neo doesn't have superpowers, he knows the matrix is fake that was the entire point of the first three movies, it shouldn't wear him out to stop fake bullets.
- the matrix was supposed to be cool, this was the opposite of cool.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Butternubs posted:

I get if you feel likes it's a chore to make a 4th movie but just don't make the movie...

- the plot made me cringe the entire way through, if it was supposed to be satirical it should still make some sense.
- Neo doesn't have superpowers, he knows the matrix is fake that was the entire point of the first three movies, it shouldn't wear him out to stop fake bullets.

it was great. sorry about your brain.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Everybody in the Resistance knows the Matrix is fake but they don't all get super-superpowers.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

checkplease posted:

So about the neo + trinity powered matrix.

The analyst is basically the modern algorithm that calculates what people like and what is best to show them to get maximum retention (max power generation).
There's definitely an aspect of neo + trinity powering via nostalgia. But there is also the whole they need not be too close together, but not too far away either. So its really a matrix of trying to be connected, but never getting there. Its social media, twitch streams, zoom, and a culture likes. Everyone is trying to be more connected, but without the direct human interaction. And if the direct in person interaction would occur, then such social media aspects may not be needed anymore and thus a collapse in the matrix/algorithm economy.

Its not subtle of course, but I thought it was a nice more modern look for the matrix.

I think it kinda got subsumed by coming off as random lame zombie attack but the swarm thing was one of the biggest parts of the movie. Theme wise. Like in the first movie the biggest threat was some sort of organized quasi-government G man coming to shoot you. In this the biggest enemy was the mob of normal people acting mindlessly.

Like, agents still exist, but the thing coming after you for breaking social norms isn't just the law anymore, it's your neighbor. (which was true before with agents taking over bodies, but is true x1000 now when it's just 'society' itself attacking en mass

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

VROOM VROOM posted:

Everybody in the Resistance knows the Matrix is fake but they don't all get super-superpowers.

Neo *really* knows. Or sees the code, my point is, he's not just got a bullet shield, he can change the entire matrix at will.

Movie was on par with Jupiter ascending.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Butternubs posted:

art! films! books! they all used to be better! now it's beepbooboobooboo wikishit and piss, zucker gently caress face, we had class!

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Butternubs posted:

WB was going to make Matrix 4 with or without the Wachowskis, Keanu had said he would only return if the Wachowskis did, and Lilly said no way, leaving Lana to either do it by herself or let WB do whatever dumb bullshit they wanted instead. Lana decided to go for it and make it very explicit what she thought about the circumstances. Free your mind, as someone or other said...

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Vitamin P posted:

That would have been incredible.

https://youtu.be/QF67tmqA-q0

I wonder if demaking the original Matrix scenes in UE1 would have even been enough to wake up the critics entirely missing the point of them. It’s not like the movie was being subtle about it and yet I read multiple reviews claiming the first third of the movie was blatant nostalgia bait.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

ram dass in hell posted:

it was great. sorry about your brain.

There is actually something interesting about what was cool in 1999 becoming a bunch of obnoxious tech bros who say 'BT dubs' and 'O M G' out loud and calling that out as an even more miserable dystopia than black leather and Rob Zombie but that just means the guy who thought it was 1/3 good movie and 2/3 slog is essentially correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Butternubs posted:

Neo *really* knows. Or sees the code, my point is, he's not just got a bullet shield, he can change the entire matrix at will.

Movie was on par with Jupiter ascending.

That's why he had zero of his cool demeanor from matrix 2. Because he can change the matrix at will, he chooses to be a boring old man