Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Some mysteries shouldn't be done. Like there were polar bears on the tropical island in Lost. Big mystery, why are there polar bears on a tropical island? And then they answered that one: some science guys brought them for science reasons. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It was stupid and the island would have been better without polar bears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

ashpanash posted:

Yeah, I think the rule should generally be "don't introduce a mystery unless you know how you are going to resolve it." And because things change as you're writing and as actors contribute, how exactly you are going to resolve it is something of a moving target. But there should be a definite general solution and at least a few specifics. If you introduce a mystery and don't do that, odds are it won't work. Vince Gilligan and his team seem to be the only ones capable of doing that in a satisfactory way.
Exactly, this is one of the reasons that Babylon 5 worked so well. There are all sorts of comments and things that happen though out the series that make sense at some point later on.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lost was fun as hell

The island was not purgatory and they were not dead and whenever someone says that I know they didn't actually watch it

most of them were dead and in something like purgatory near the end, it's true, but the island in season 1+ was a legit real mystical Island

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

No it was just a magical cork to keep evil bottled up and you thought that was a metaphor but then it turned out no it was a literal cork in the world's evil bottle.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

The Bloop posted:

Lost was fun as hell

The island was not purgatory and they were not dead and whenever someone says that I know they didn't actually watch it

most of them were dead and in something like purgatory near the end, it's true, but the island in season 1+ was a legit real mystical Island

They didn't have to do the purgatory bit at the end. They could have done something - anything - else. But they did do a purgatory bit at the end. Even though it wasn't the main mystery, they really did themselves a disservice by saying "It's not purgatory" for years and then doing a purgatory storyline.

That said, I forgive Lost for a lot (not all) of its faults. It really was doing something really new and different, and its fingerprints are all over a lot of shows today. Plus, most of it was really entertaining and great fun. Did they stick the landing? Hell no. But that was a lesson that TV in general needed to learn. These were still the days of endless syndication and the status quo of Gilligan's Island and the like.

Lost wasn't the only show to break this mold, but it was the boldest network TV standout, with the highest production values and (I feel) the best writing and performances overall. Even if that writing let them down in the end.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Ooof, that one stung. There was one thing I liked - the wipes at the beginning were kinda neat. Everything else in that episode - dialog, performances, plot - I just thought it was all terrible.

Ok, Book's father and Book's acting were fine, I guess. But everything else. Wow. Gray's acting was the most wooden thing I've seen in quite a while. Why are they feeling sorry for a DOT robot - because it looked cute? Why did they program it to scream? Why are they letting an untested sentient computer run the ship? Why can't they use instant beaming to save the crewmember who died? Why was Michael not thrown into the buffer thing when she couldn't do anything but wince in pain and pass out? How did what they 'discovered' have any bearing on the plot of the episode itself? Why is the plot dictating their actions instead of the other way around?

They should call it Star Trek: DisCryBaby. Even the computer cries, now.

Who writes this crap?

Why am I watching it?

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 23, 2021

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Mr. Apollo posted:

Exactly, this is one of the reasons that Babylon 5 worked so well. There are all sorts of comments and things that happen though out the series that make sense at some point later on.

The finale in season 5 was actually filmed at the end of season 4.
Yet, it works absolutely fine because the story was planned out, so the steps click perfectly.

I wish we had someone like JMS doing Discovery, maybe then it wouldn't be poo poo.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

ashpanash posted:

Why are they feeling sorry for a DOT robot - because it looked cute? Why did they program it to scream?
Inevitable Simpsons clip.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I feel like the way to sum up this utter mess of a show is... Is Hugh CMO on this ship? Is it Pollard? And why is Hugh reduced to offering simple platitudes? Everything with Gray is just... God I'm sure Ian Alexander is a lovely person but yiiiiikes. They're trying to do a classic emergency in space TNG style episode but they're unable to do it. Book's plot is just a loving joke, someone on the writing/production staff was in therapy (and poo poo maybe it's all of them) and decided this was the way to address any emotional conflict. The rest of the bridgecrew outside of the 4/5 we focus on? Well, they had that 10 second meeting, that means they're real characters, right?

Edit: I'll just finish on this. Why is the ship make out of sparks?

J33uk fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Dec 23, 2021

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:rip: Wall-E, Cortez

lol just playing future chess with Zora. I know they had to give Gray something to do but they should've sent them off like Tilly.

Sing me a song Zora.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The only joy I take in this show anymore is weird and pedantic nitpicking.

I'm currently fixated on what the ship's bartender(s?) do on a stations call.

Also, does the pattern buffer trick alleviate the need for a brig?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

They prepare the Gin-eral Quarters Cocktail

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

They hide under the counter like during an old-timey western bar brawl :allears:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Watch the view

https://i.imgur.com/pIMsIcH.mp4

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 23, 2021

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

ashpanash posted:

:nws::nms:

For posterity.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Doubling down on prediction that its the Kelvans.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Speaking of Babylon 5, I just realized the actress who played Commodore Oh in Picard also played Lt. Cmdr. Laurel Takashima in the Babylon 5 pilot movie.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ashpanash posted:

Yeah, I think the rule should generally be "don't introduce a mystery unless you know how you are going to resolve it." And because things change as you're writing and as actors contribute, how exactly you are going to resolve it is something of a moving target. But there should be a definite general solution and at least a few specifics. If you introduce a mystery and don't do that, odds are it won't work. Vince Gilligan and his team seem to be the only ones capable of doing that in a satisfactory way.

I think also it's foolis hto set-up mysteries when you know you will not be around to have to solve them, whether you had a plan or not, if you're setting up booby traps for future writers or whoever, that's lovely. Like, kind of what happened with Star Wars actually, JJ copy+pasted new hope and sprinkled in some "mysteries," although they were so unsubtle and obvious basically anyone knew where it was going to go. But then he bounced and some random dude saw all the crap he'd been saddled with and literally just laughed and tossed it out. As is his right, lovely of JJ to have dfone that and then LMAO that apparently the last movie is JJ just quickly undoing the previous movie, finishing up his own bozo mystery boxes he dug back up and then idk i dont know how it ends nobody ever says so i guess its lame too.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm home for the holidays and my family has expressed interest in Lower Decks after seeing my Cetacean Ops shirt. I don't think they knew it existed.

So I'm asking for the most serious thing a Trek fan can ask for:

What's your watch list for Lower Decks Seasons 1 and 2?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Honestly literally all of it.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
The AV Club (which is a pretty sad shell of itself) has cancelled Disco reviews due to low readership. I'm not going to do the gross "They're killing my Star Trek!" poo poo but it's an interesting data point. I love a lot of the concepts and ideas they're going for but the execution is just so bad.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

HD DAD posted:

Honestly literally all of it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

J33uk posted:

The AV Club (which is a pretty sad shell of itself) has cancelled Disco reviews due to low readership. I'm not going to do the gross "They're killing my Star Trek!" poo poo but it's an interesting data point. I love a lot of the concepts and ideas they're going for but the execution is just so bad.

I feel like if you're watching Disco then you don't really care about discussion, since it doesn't tie together at all and if you think about the show too much you'll get mad

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

J33uk posted:

The thing that stings the most for me is that I just don’t care about Disco anymore. There’s not even enough to make fun of for me. When a show is ramping up the melodrama to 11 every goddamn second, you just kinda short out after a while. Even the attempts at levity are somehow overwrought.

I used to defend Disco quite a bit because I genuinely like most of the cast and there’s some really neat ideas in there, but I haven’t even watched the last two episodes and can’t really muster up the motivation to do so. That feeling sucks.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

The thing that stings the most for me is that I just don’t care about Disco anymore. There’s not even enough to make fun of for me. When a show is ramping up the melodrama to 11 every goddamn second, you just kinda short out after a while. Even the attempts at levity are somehow overwrought.

I used to defend Disco quite a bit because I genuinely like most of the cast and there’s some really neat ideas in there, but I haven’t even watched the last two episodes and can’t really muster up the motivation to do so. That feeling sucks.

Disco is also probably the show people are the least interested in period. Lower Decks and Prodigy got buzz because they were surprisingly great, people are interested in Strange New Worlds because of Pike and :spock:, and Picard might have been a storytelling disaster but it did fuckin’ numbers for CBS, so that’s where all the attention is gonna be focused. Disco is turning more and more into an also ran when it should be the flagship in its own franchise.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

nine-gear crow posted:

Disco is also probably the show people are the least interested in period. Lower Decks and Prodigy got buzz because they were surprisingly great, people are interested in Strange New Worlds because of Pike and :spock:, and Picard might have been a storytelling disaster but it did fuckin’ numbers for CBS, so that’s where all the attention is gonna be focused. Disco is turning more and more into an also ran when it should be the flagship in its own franchise.
It'll be interesting to see how Picard does for seasons 2 and 3. Season 1 did numbers because it was Picard but most people I know who watched it don't plan to watch season 2.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I was flat out not going to watch PIC season two, but then they literally replaced the entire production team and threw in the Okudas as a bonus, so I’ll probably give it a go.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Same, Okudas sold me

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

I laughed when the ship started singing as Michael was getting roasted alive.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Brawnfire posted:

Same, Okudas sold me

+ John DeLancie, who is an irresistable treat whenever he's on screen

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
imo they should just pick up TNG or Voyager where they left off, scrap their endings, oblivion ther movies from memory, replace cast, and just make new seasons. same characters, same ships, same time, same sets, like nothing ever changed. Just suddenly theres new eps of an old show and everyone's very old or replaced and in HD

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Khanstant posted:

imo they should just pick up TNG or Voyager where they left off, scrap their endings, oblivion ther movies from memory, replace cast, and just make new seasons. same characters, same ships, same time, same sets, like nothing ever changed. Just suddenly theres new eps of an old show and everyone's very old or replaced and in HD
Deepfake the cast, and then the only telltale giveaway is that all the main characters have raspy, tired voices.

Edit: and that Deanna now sounds like a Cockney who's lived in LA for a few decades.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 24, 2021

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

HD DAD posted:

I think that's the thing, it's not like it's funny bad, it's just... Bad? It once again told us a single factoid about Owo, some people died and she doesn't want anymore people to die. This adds to her repertoire of being able to hold her breath real good and being from a luddite cult. She also hangs out with Detmer a lot. Four seasons in and that's basically loving it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Not to defend DISCO too strenuously, but, like how much did we know about O'Brien by season 4 of TNG? (Remember, Data's Day and The Wounded are 4x11 and 4x12)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Not to defend DISCO too strenuously, but, like how much did we know about O'Brien by season 4 of TNG? (Remember, Data's Day and The Wounded are 4x11 and 4x12)

You knew his name and that he was Irish. Which means you knew more about him than any of the bridge crew in Disco.

e: oh also you knew that he was an engineer and his job was to push the button that made the transporter work. Again, one more thing than you know about any of the bridge crew in Disco.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 24, 2021

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Gaz-L posted:

Since STD is still in the middle of S4 let's be fair and limit it to just three seasons of TNG. By the end of season 3 of TNG there had been 76 episodes. Of those O'Brien appeared in about as many as Michale had in three seasons in STD.

Appearances

TNG:

"Encounter at Farpoint" (Season 1)

"Lonely Among Us"

"The Child" (Season 2)

"Where Silence Has Lease"

"Loud As A Whisper"

"Unnatural Selection"

"A Matter Of Honor"

"The Measure Of A Man"

"The Dauphin"

"Contagion"

"The Royale"

"Time Squared"

"The Icarus Factor"

"Pen Pals"

"Q Who"

"Up The Long Ladder"

"Manhunt"

"The Emissary"

"Shades of Gray"

"The Ensigns of Command" (Season 3)

"The Bonding"

"Booby Trap"

"The Enemy"

"The Price" (voice only)

"The Hunted"

"A Matter of Perspective"

"Tin Man"

"Hollow Pursuits"

"The Most Toys"

"Sarek"

"Transfigurations"

"The Best of Both Worlds"

"The Best of Both Worlds, Part II"

I don't really feel like digging through episode by episode for O'Brien facts but it would be seriously disingenuous to argue that he wasn't a well liked and established character by the end of TNG S3.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The only joy I take in this show anymore is weird and pedantic nitpicking.

"Launch from starboard fore!" (launches from middle of port side)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

"Launch from starboard fore!" (launches from middle of port side)

They probably got confused because their navigation lights are randomly placed like loving Christmas lights

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Sonar? Audible ping? With EM-radiation at 282KHz? Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
It was the sonar thing that got me. That didn't make any sense at all. Literally advocating for a machine that goes 'ping'.

Also, I think it would be better to have a ship's computer that just does what it's loving told.