Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

We do many bad things but we aren’t a fascist state.

We potentially may become one though and lol if you think our capitalist empire is bad now.

add a quasi in there

the US hits basically every tell-tale sign of a fascist or impending fascist state.

The Republican party is mostly there and after the next election probably in power.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

We potentially may become one though and lol if you think our capitalist empire is bad now.

The U.S is a fascist state, but a very halfassed one

e: Also yeah it kinda checks every "1930s germany" box(extremely poor economic conditions, low confidence in government, populace increasingly desperate for change, an out-of-touch centrist party willing to work with the right rather than budge an inch to the left), which isn't great

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 23, 2021

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah I get what Wang Commander is saying but "there's good jobs out there" > "well the industry is tiny" > "they're on oil fields" is very funny. Like yeah, there are a lot of good blue collar jobs out there and they need people because an entire generation was pushed to college and told to not take blue collar work because it will grind your body into dust and kill you. And none of that's wrong, it will grind your body into dust and possibly kill you and the question then becomes is 200k a year worth that?

Also for that 200k of trades work you’re going to be working 12-hour days and/or probably going to be on-call half the time. Most of your co-workers are going to be chuddy and/or racist as hell, all of your co-workers will be incredibly sexist, and a significant portion of them will be the kind of person previously mentioned in the thread that gets visibly angry if you use anything beyond a 5th grade vocabulary. None of the work you do will be creative in any way, and very little of it will feel collaborative.

The money is good, the benefits are good. Everything else, not so much.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Yinlock posted:

e: Also yeah it kinda checks every "1930s germany" box(extremely poor economic conditions, low confidence in government, populace increasingly desperate for change, an out-of-touch centrist party willing to work with the right rather than budge an inch to the left), which isn't great

I posted in another thread about Republicans being fascists:

1) Constant and pervasive nationalism

2) Militarism

3) Constant use of a specific Enemy to target

4) Rejection of human rights

5) Pervasive sexism, homophobia

6) State media/what is effectively state media

7) Corporate power is centered

8) National security focus

9) Religion and government integration

10) Obsession with crime and carceral measures

I mean there's more but damned if US conservatives don't tick off every one, and a fair number of the liberals.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I don't think we have hit "Well, obviously, the only path forward is for everyone to drop out of school and try to sell a glossy .JPEG of a monkey smoking weed for $600,000" stage yet.

Oh great now you tell me

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

How is "fascist" a meaningful concept when you can non-fascist-ly kill orders of magnitude more people than the "fascist" countries?

Either the US is fascist, or "fascist" isn't a useful label for trying to determine "whether a country is capital-B Bad and indefensible" (which is basically the way people usually use it in discussions like this). My personal view is the latter; it's irrelevant whether a country is murdering millions of people in the name of fascism vs liberal democracy.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

idiotsavant posted:

Also for that 200k of trades work you’re going to be working 12-hour days and/or probably going to be on-call half the time. Most of your co-workers are going to be chuddy and/or racist as hell, all of your co-workers will be incredibly sexist, and a significant portion of them will be the kind of person previously mentioned in the thread that gets visibly angry if you use anything beyond a 5th grade vocabulary. None of the work you do will be creative in any way, and very little of it will feel collaborative.

If you don't see that high-wage white collar is exactly like this with a slightly different outside appearance you're missing the point. Anywhere you can get a decent wage in the US you're getting jerked around on-call and dealing with the whitest most harassing white boys in existence, unfortunately. It's by design.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/isaacstanbecker/status/1474103343828156419

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/12/the-biden-administration-rejected-an-october-proposal-for-free-rapid-tests-for-the-holidays

quote:

The plan called for an estimated 732 million tests per month, a number that would require a major ramp-up of manufacturing capacity. It also recommended, right on the first page, a nationwide “Testing Surge to Prevent Holiday COVID Surge.”
[...]
The plan, in effect, was a blueprint for how to avoid what is happening at this very moment—endless lines of desperate Americans clamoring for tests in order to safeguard holiday gatherings, just as COVID-19 is exploding again. Yesterday, President Biden told David Muir of ABC News, “I wish I had thought about ordering” 500 million at-home tests “two months ago.” But the proposal shared at the meeting in October, disclosed here for the first time, included a “Bold Plan for Impact” and a provision for “Every American Household to Receive Free Rapid Tests for the Holidays/New Year.”
Three days after the meeting, on October 25, the COVID-19 testing experts—who hailed from the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, the Rockefeller Foundation, the COVID Collaborative, and several other organizations—received a back channel communication from a White House official. Their big, bold idea for free home tests for all Americans to avoid a holiday surge, they were told, was dead.
[...]
The fury with which public-health experts greeted Psaki’s comments reflected their longstanding frustration with an administration that, in their view, has put almost all its focus on vaccinating the American public, at the expense of other critical aspects of the response, from getting shots into arms overseas to making high-quality masks widely available. The rapid-test push, in particular, seems to have bumped up against the peculiar challenges of fighting COVID-19 in the 21st-century United States. Difficulties include a regulatory gauntlet intent on vetting devices for exquisite sensitivity, rather than public-health utility; a medical fiefdom in which doctors tend to view patient test results as theirs alone to convey; and a policy suspicion, however inchoate, that too many rapid tests might somehow signal to wary Americans that they could test their way through the pandemic and skip vaccinations altogether. “It’s undeniable that [the administration] took a vaccine-only approach,” said Dr. Michael Mina, a vocal advocate for rapid testing who attended the October White House meeting. The U.S. government “didn’t support the notion of testing as a proper mitigation tool.”

the rest of the article goes deeper into why it ended up like this, but for the bolded especially, biden has loving blood on his hands

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Yinlock posted:

:psyduck: Can you please explain how the current US economic conditions are similar to 1930s Germany? Using specific numbers, please.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 24, 2021

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

I am so, so glad the people who Believe In Science are in charge now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah for all of the bluster, they are doing a lot of the same poo poo that the Trump admin did by putting politics in front of actual good health policy

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah for all of the bluster, they are doing a lot of the same poo poo that the Trump admin did by putting politics in front of actual good health policy

The difference between the covid policies Biden campaigned on doing once elected, and his actual policy, well, it sure is a freakin' chasm.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Kalit posted:

:psyduck: Can you please explain how the current US economic conditions are similar to 1930s Germany? Using specific numbers, please.

inflation is so bad that the rich are having to use entire wheelbarrows full of cash to buy basic necessities like a 4th lake house

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kalit posted:

You're kinda missing the forest for the trees here. Of course it's not going to be exactly the same but the fact remains that things suck big time for a very large portion of the country and the out-of-touch ruling class shows every sign of being at best apathetic(and more commonly, delighted) about it

This leads to a more fervent desire for something, anything to change(and is the reason why Trump's "outsider" poo poo stuck) and when any leftist option is systematically stamped out then there's only one direction this desire is allowed to go

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/KatherineEban/status/1474097120474980354

is he lying or did he honestly forget?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast

Ytlaya posted:

How is "fascist" a meaningful concept when you can non-fascist-ly kill orders of magnitude more people than the "fascist" countries?

I prefer the concept of revolutionary romanticism and most people understand that as fascism. We are in the process of heading towards that.

If it happens well, ya ain’t seen nothing yet. We could be so very much worse than we are.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

A big flaming stink posted:

is he lying or did he honestly forget?

Could be both, honestly.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

idiotsavant posted:

Maybe its regional, but I’m around dozens of construction tradesworkers daily, and while mask wearing is pretty low, people talk openly about getting covid boosters, generally dont bring up politics at all, and when it does come up frequently demure to “i dont pay attention to that stuff” and swing the convo back to whatever car they own.

Its really just the old as poo poo gremlins that cant seem to help keep their mouths shut, and no one on the site likes them anyways because they smell bad and dont get anything done all day.

The average age of late 20s to early 30s has really changed things inside the construction trade. Its way loving better than some other blue collar fields. Pretty sure working in energy is still pretty bad though.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

I don’t see how anyone can make an honest case that he’s handled covid better than Trump.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nucleic Acids posted:

I don’t see how anyone can make an honest case that he’s handled covid better than Trump.

I feel like on some level, talking about how you Trust The Science and then just ignoring most of it is worse than never even pretending to give a poo poo in the first place.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Doesn't matter, he's unfit for office either way

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They've both handled it poorly in different ways. Trump spent months pretending it wasn't a big deal, and the problem I'm seeing with this WH is that they keep getting overconfident that we are over the hump with the virus when it just keeps coming every 3-4 months. I don't understand after Delta and all of the deaths it caused why that would not prompt them to create a testing infrastructure. I have also seen this idea coming from them that keeping things open is more important than actually dealing with the problem, which is sadly a bipartisan response to Covid.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

They've both handled it poorly in different ways. Trump spent months pretending it wasn't a big deal, and the problem I'm seeing with this WH is that they keep getting overconfident that we are over the hump with the virus when it just keeps coming every 3-4 months. I don't understand after Delta and all of the deaths it caused why that would not prompt them to create a testing infrastructure. I have also seen this idea coming from them that keeping things open is more important than actually dealing with the problem, which is sadly a bipartisan response to Covid.

It is legitimately unhinged how we're almost two years in and this entire time we've just seen this extreme reluctance towards erring on the side of caution by those in power in pretty much every level of government.

Like even a mask mandate would go a long way (and in fact, was explicitly one of the anti-covid steps Biden listed on his website. Yet another promise he has no intention of fulfilling I guess!) but nope, can't even do that.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Doing little to nothing about impending crises while pretending all is well was the entire thesis of Biden's candidacy so it's not terribly surprising his presidency is following through on that

The approach they're taking of implicitly blaming chuds for Omicron is a little rich, though, given you can draw a straight line between its emergence and US insistence on exploiting poorer nations for profit. I doubt Trump would've handled that any differently than Biden did but that doesn't absolve Biden

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Doing little to nothing about impending crises while pretending all is well was the entire thesis of Biden's candidacy so it's not terribly surprising his presidency is following through on that

The approach they're taking of implicitly blaming chuds for Omicron is a little rich, though, given you can draw a straight line between its emergence and US insistence on exploiting poorer nations for profit. I doubt Trump would've handled that any differently than Biden did but that doesn't absolve Biden
Yes, and also it's very clear that this variant infects people more easily than any of the others, even if you are triple vaxxed

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The problem is that if they actually take the decisive and forceful measures necessary to really fight this virus, then Economy Number might go down, and nobody in power wants that on their head.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Kraftwerk posted:

EDIT/DISCLAIMER: My two most recent things here are opinions based on my own personal speculation and interpretation of events. I want to add that I am biased by a sense of disillusionment with the modern left. This doesn't mean I no longer hold left wing views. I just don't see a practical way forward given how entrenched capital is this time.
I maintain my original premise that the system will not be upset by a movement for political change, but rather by wealth destroying outside forces (World war or unexpected climate change impacts).

That's fair I might be reading into it a little too deeply...

I just think Gen Z is better positioned to learn from our mistakes. I've also noticed in my extended social circles that there's an aggressive cohort of younger millennials and old Gen Zs who have this "hustle and make money at all costs" mindset. I know of one such group of people who opened a business 2 years ago to sell parts to cryptocurrency miners via Amazon's distribution system. Upfront costs were minimal but their profits month over month have risen exponentially and they buy stuff like cables by weight in China and then sell them individually per unit in North America. They're getting big tenders from large clients and are now grossing 1million per year. That doesn't include my more immediate friend's crypto holdings which were coasting from the last crash (2017) at like 25-30k and now they're worth almost half a million dollars and climbing. None of this is going to last forever obviously. At some point the crypto boom will stop for a while or stall. But as long as they're smart with the money they will continue to put it to whatever is "next" and basically get ahead in a system that is otherwise rigged against them.

Don't get me wrong. A lot of this stuff is morally grey and shady. I'm not saying this should be the formula for how we live our lives or build our wealth. But in the absence of any real political change a lot of people decided they'd take matters into their own hands and find another solution to getting around the rigged system.

More and more people I run into are resigned that no help is coming, that the economy is not going to change and that the oligarchy has been winning repeatedly since the 1980s. Even if you get a momentary reprieve like the New Deal, it seems that capitalism is like orbiting a black hole. The gravity it generates towards it's direction is unshakable and the best you can do is adjust your orbit around it so you don't get pulled past the point of no return. As things stands we're pretty much at the precipice of the event horizon due to capitalism's regulatory capture and impact on climate change.

What do we in this thread believe in more? Nature or nurture? The Greatest Generation and the Silent Generation saw the ugliest excesses of capitalism. They remember when even something basic like a good pair of boots was a luxury only rich people could afford. They grew up in tightly knit communities based around mutual interests and had to rely on immediate members of their community to survive. The entire culture and society of that era was very communal in nature because there was no other way to survive on your own. The way people had to live then was in itself inherently compatible with socialist ideas. I think a lot of this is why the more rural states had a tendency to support some form of agrarian socialism that helped fuel support for the new deal. The depression singlehandedly put capitalism into crisis and meanwhile as far as anyone knew, the Soviet Union was paying to bring American experts over there to help design and build Stalin's factories for his 5 year plans. There was an alternative form of government modeled for everyone to see and it offered a very serious alternative to the status quo.

Contrast that to Baby Boomers and Gen X. By comparison to the generations who came of age between 1890 and 1940, the people who grew up in the 1950s got to enjoy near unlimited economic prosperity on a macro level. The opportunities seemed limitless. Companies that today would have been viewed as inefficient dinosaurs were back then making obscene amounts of money and offering lifetime employment for everyone. These (white) people had every imaginable tool at their disposal to build wealth and success. You didn't even need college half the time because you could work reliable union jobs albeit in very dangerous and dirty lines of work. In a time of excess like that, it's probably easy for all those people to develop a sense of entitlement since all they had to do was scratch the surface and they were getting paid and building some form of socioeconomic capital. By the time they matured in their careers they got to witness the collapse of the Soviet Union and Reaganomics "fixing" all the problems of stagflation, the oil crisis etc etc. Communism was defeated and everyone decided that there is no alternative and Francis Fukuyama wrote the end of history....

Is it any wonder these boomers are so conservative then? They had every imaginable opportunity and advantage at their fingertips, in this coddled and fertile economy they were able to achieve a lot through "hard work" and in this privilege they're completely blind to the bleak economic conditions of millennials today. Modern post war society encouraged things like white flight, suburb development etc. Meanwhile societal changes led to more alienation and individuality. People didn't need their neighbors and community groups anymore. They had enough money to take care of themselves and their immediate families... So society overall became extremely individualistic and consumerist. Again... nature vs nurture--- I believe if 2008 never happened and Millennials had even a TASTE of the kind of opportunity and good times the boomers had, they... we would be just as conservative. I think the masses, and people as a whole cannot really perceive or reference macroeconomic and political forces that affect them personally. They see the more immediate picture... "Do I have a job? What is the price of gasoline? How much food can I afford? Do I go to costco?". They don't think about things like the value chain, the arbitrary way corporations raise their margins when they can get away with it. They don't know P&G controls most of the personal care industry and can set prices to whatever they want without competition. So it's easy for people to think they and they alone are responsible for their success and that the government is useless because they can't "see" what the government does outside of what fox news tells them.

So millennials grew up with the promise that if they "Get the piece of paper" they're gonna get a corporate job like their forefathers, buy a house, have a kid and retire. All of that got turned upside down in 2008 and in the absence of a good enough explanation we started looking beyond the immediate world and became radicalized socialists. Gen Z likewise will probably take a socialist turn because they got to see it coming from much further away than we did. I think our material conditions have done more to inspire our political beliefs than any specific thing associated with our generation, DNA or whatever other "nature" causes we'd attribute.

Where am I going with this? We are battling decades of misinformed economic inertia from a more Keynesian oriented system while living in a mature economy built on the premises of neo-classical economics. 2008 should've been the point in time we rebooted the economy to a new kind of system, but instead we propped up the old one and refused to acknowledge an alternative. The Boomers' own experiences without their knowledge or personal acknowledgement of their macroeconomic context has turned them all into raging conservatives as much as the current system has turned us into hardcore socialists. But unlike the socialists of yesteryear, we don't have a million military vets from a world war with guns and a socialist friendly superpower to back up a revolution if our demands aren't met. We don't even have the community circles and support networks the WW2 generation had to build socialism from into a mass movement. We're still atomized voices shouting uselessly into the internet hoping something different will happen while all the guns, intuitions, organization and propaganda is run by capital.

So where do we go from here? Who is going to be our modern Lenin who writes a 21st century version of "What is to be done?". Is a communist system even the answer? Considering former communist citizens ran as fast they could to live in Western style consumerist systems the moment they could, I do wonder if a communist system is a solution either. If you ideologically or politically try to control how goods are produced and distributed in a system, then all you have is a class of oligarchs and billionaires whose power comes from their political power rather than financial power. The Soviet and Chinese elite realized they could be living far more luxurious lifestyles if they just played ball with capitalism gave up this whole socialism thing.

So short of creating a scandinavian style social democratic system which capital will immediately begin undermining for 40 years before re-creating the present status quo I don't think we have any real political solutions for this problem.

Two things. Plenty of Mills are waking up,and working outside of the system.

Second, none of this matters because climate change is going to gently caress everything up to a level that seems ridiculous in the next 20-30 years.

The idea of retiring and just living an American lifestyle won’t last another 40 years.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

the_steve posted:

The problem is that if they actually take the decisive and forceful measures necessary to really fight this virus, then Economy Number might go down, and nobody in power wants that on their head.
This is really what it boils down to.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Where's that study showing that economies that tackled COVID sensibly did a lot better than those that didn't

Of course, actual facts are less important than the knee-jerk reactions of the handful of businessmen who control your government through legal bribery

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Gort posted:

Where's that study showing that economies that tackled COVID sensibly did a lot better than those that didn't

Of course, actual facts are less important than the knee-jerk reactions of the handful of businessmen who control your government through legal bribery

If they were capable of thinking of anything besides the next quarterly report then we wouldn't be in this mess to begin with.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Pretty sure working in energy is still pretty bad though.

Yeah as far as I know energy is still the worst and uniquely bad

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I am really tired of being ruled by these poindexters who think they're clever enough to play 100-dimensional chess and trick the public into doing what they want with reverse psychology mindgames instead of just doing a proper clear public health response.

Restricting covid testing to frighten people into getting vaccines wtf

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

How can anyone read the article and associated links and get "so and so here or so and so there want to kill people so their chosen strategy is selected." The articles discuss supply issues; sensitivity/specificity issues and confidence in the public (i.e. giving fodder for trolls to now say tests aren't real and/or effective); scale (some think 500 million is appropriate and some think it's worthless, with billions needed). Multiple links outline a host of strategies, some we are employing and some we aren't, as necessary or unnecessary (i.e. some suggest unvaccinated people be banned from airlines; some suggest every American receive KN95 masks even though they won't wear them; etc.). There are issues related to if people would use the tests; if they would use them properly or if the plan ends up giving people false confidence to go out and spread more. Frankly, I think the concerns are warranted given how Americans have behaved.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
I agree, we need nationalized production and distribution of billions and billions of the accurate at home molecular tests used by the wealthy and big business.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Shammypants posted:

How can anyone read the article and associated links and get "so and so here or so and so there want to kill people so their chosen strategy is selected." The articles discuss supply issues; sensitivity/specificity issues and confidence in the public (i.e. giving fodder for trolls to now say tests aren't real and/or effective); scale (some think 500 million is appropriate and some think it's worthless, with billions needed). Multiple links outline a host of strategies, some we are employing and some we aren't, as necessary or unnecessary (i.e. some suggest unvaccinated people be banned from airlines; some suggest every American receive KN95 masks even though they won't wear them; etc.). There are issues related to if people would use the tests; if they would use them properly or if the plan ends up giving people false confidence to go out and spread more. Frankly, I think the concerns are warranted given how Americans have behaved.

Who cares how the tests or masks would be used if the people who would use them get them?

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 24, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Yinlock posted:

You're kinda missing the forest for the trees here. Of course it's not going to be exactly the same but the fact remains that things suck big time for a very large portion of the country and the out-of-touch ruling class shows every sign of being at best apathetic(and more commonly, delighted) about it

This leads to a more fervent desire for something, anything to change(and is the reason why Trump's "outsider" poo poo stuck) and when any leftist option is systematically stamped out then there's only one direction this desire is allowed to go

I mean... you were trying to draw a comparison of a time of 30+% unemployment rate to what the US is currently experiencing. That's a pretty :psypop: comparison

E:

Herstory Begins Now posted:

inflation is so bad that the rich are having to use entire wheelbarrows full of cash to buy basic necessities like a 4th lake house

Last time I checked, inflation wasn't the economic issue in Germany in the 1930s. So I'm not sure why you're bringing that up in the defense of a dipshit comparison that Yinlock was trying to make....

Kalit fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 24, 2021

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Nucleic Acids posted:

Who cares how the tests or masks would be used if the people who would use them get them?

Who cares how they would be used? Several people cited in the article, such as Dr. Topol, check out his twitter. Tests are great, 500 million high quality tests we've been developing and trying to scale up since February 2020 may not be enough, or it may be as good as America can do considering we: do not restrict travelers in any meaningful way; do not wear masks properly or at all; have inadequate protections at work and school; are dealing with Omicron which presents symptoms differently and on and on. I'm reading further on this and seeing articles detailing how many tests we can get from foreign companies and it's a pittance- somewhere in the area of 5-10 million a month. This is not adequate for even the lower threshold advocates for tests (those suggesting ~500 million is part of a well rounded and effective strategy). It's a more complex issue that it appears. What people in the article think is necessary are multiple tests and retests, cheaply done and frequently. We cannot even get a fraction of students or workers to commit to random tests in those controlled environments, issues such as whether people will do it at home are a concern.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 24, 2021

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Shammypants posted:

Who cares how they would be used? Several people cited in the article, such as Dr. Topol, check out his twitter. Tests are great, 500 million high quality tests we've been developing and trying to scale up since February 2020 may not be enough, or it may be as good as America can do considering we: do not restrict travelers in any meaningful way; do not wear masks properly or at all; have inadequate protections at work and school; are dealing with Omicron which presents symptoms differently and on and on. I'm reading further on this and seeing articles detailing how many tests we can get from foreign companies and it's a pittance- somewhere in the area of 5-10 million a month. This is not adequate for even the lower threshold advocates for tests (those suggesting ~500 million is part of a well rounded and effective strategy). It's a more complex issue that it appears (i.e. what people in the article think is necessary are multiple tests and retests, cheaply done and frequently. We cannot even get a fraction of students or workers to commit to random tests in those controlled environments, issues such as whether people will do it at home are a concern).

Considering how the Biden administration outright rejected a plan for dealing with something like Omircon it sounds like ire should be directed towards them, considering there is no alternative and nothing in the administration's track record has suggsted that they could come up with an alternative plan.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
shammy, how does any of this counter the fact that the admin has chosen to do nothing? like all those are certainly things to be concerned about, but that just leads one to the conclusion that one ought to choose their actions carefully, not decline from taking action all together!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Nucleic Acids posted:

Considering how the Biden administration outright rejected a plan for dealing with something like Omircon it sounds like ire should be directed towards them, considering there is no alternative and nothing in the administration's track record has suggsted that they could come up with an alternative plan.

Those at the meeting weren't in agreement as to what the plan should be. Topol and his allies believe we should have started a year before Biden's administration (his quote) to arrive at the billions of rapid tests for a massive 'multiple test-retest scenario.' The rapid tests would need to be in the billions and this plan would require Americans to go along with it (when they have so lovingly gone along with every other strategy to mitigate virus spread). Some sources suggest that even scaling up to 300 million tests developed a month by early next year would only provide a single monthly test rather than the weekly suggested by those at the meeting (as a low end figure). What did occur a year ago is that we've been pouring money into developing appropriately approved tests that carry with them the specificity/sensitivity necessary to garner public trust. To fill the gaps in testing need billions were put into buying out entire inventories of companies developing rapid tests (literally every test) and making them available for free. Only after Omicron emerged did we see lines indicating existing testing mechanisms were inadequate and moved to develop home tests to compensate. Again, what tests and when was not agreed upon, and broad testing regimes was not in the top 3-5 items for some experts at the meeting (not even Topol interestingly enough).

So here is my bottom line. A nation that can barely get 25% of it's people to cooperate with contact tracers, where we can't get people to get vaccinated, where we can't get get students/workers enrolled in random testing programs that already exist to any meaningful degree, where we can't get people to wear a mask or wear a mask properly and on and on would still see a spike in Winter. Should we pursue testing strategies, yes, are other strategies more important to pursue, yes. Can we pursue them because we're America? Probably not.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 24, 2021