Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Whoops. This is not the thread I meant to post about monster hunter in.

Anyway, Bleach rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

never finished bleach back in the day, got distracted by other things. just read the last few chapters because lol idk where the hell i was, beyond ichigo kept on trying to climb a tower or something and also i think he accidentally killed the soul king???

what a silly ending

anyway i'm watching the first three or so seasons of bleach on netflix right now because bleach is good actually, and i'm looking forward to the thousand year blood war anime. let's get a bleach the next generation series going, but make it a slice of life with the occasional cool fight

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I cannot wait for the imagination villain who has a stroke and dies because he can’t imagine anything stronger than kenpachi. I’m unreasonably excited for the season Renji learns he’s never used his real powers because his sword was so ashamed of him it gave a fake name.

This is a series where a major character “powered up” to win his fight by deciding to hold his sword properly. Bleach is art.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

christmas boots posted:

I cannot wait for the imagination villain who has a stroke and dies because he can’t imagine anything stronger than kenpachi. I’m unreasonably excited for the season Renji learns he’s never used his real powers because his sword was so ashamed of him it gave a fake name.

This is a series where a major character “powered up” to win his fight by deciding to hold his sword properly. Bleach is art.

This is also a series where someone explains his powers are sound based so the enemy just plugs his ears and owns him.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Darth TNT posted:

This is also a series where someone explains his powers are sound based so the enemy just plugs his ears and owns him.

Not just plugged his ears, he pierced his own eardrums.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Darth TNT posted:

Gin exploits the shonen trope of explaining your powers to the person you're fighting by just lying.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Darth TNT posted:

There was a vocal group of Bleach fans at the time who were so pissed about that fight lmao

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
still can't believe that gin of all people was one of the few who actually died during deicide.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

still can't believe that gin of all people was one of the few who actually died during deicide.

Well Gin and most of the hollows and Tousen.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
tousen was a goober and most of the hollows had never done anything interesting. compare that to gin, who was covered in important backstory labels that were never used.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
also, the one arrancar who did survive never did anything interesting, either. harribel vs. hitsugaya was a real lovely fight.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
She's hot!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Harribel becomes queen of the hollows offscreen, and then loses and gets imprisoned by the jail Quincy guy: also offscreen.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think she was actually beaten by Yhwach (offscreen), in fairness. Plus they had an entire army and all. The jailor guy was just holding down the fort after.

Harribel's resureccion form is super lame, though her sword is cool.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What happened to Grimmjow in the end? He showed up and then just kinda vanished.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He killed poison guy.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
For more Grimmjow and Harribel go read Can't Fear Your Own World

come to think of it the answer to "what happened to [x]" is almost always "go read Can't Fear Your Own World"

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The worst part of the new manga one shot was Rukia's redesign

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

For more Grimmjow and Harribel go read Can't Fear Your Own World

come to think of it the answer to "what happened to [x]" is almost always "go read Can't Fear Your Own World"

Pretty much. They even leave out the bigger characters so you get time with the second stringers and Soi Fon being even more disaster gay.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I wish Bleach had the Jujutsu Kaisen rule that explaining your power makes it's effect stronger. That way people explaining their moves would make more sense in story.

which was just stolen from HxH but stealing from Togashi is 100% the way to kick off a successful shonen

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MJeff posted:

What was the name of Ywach's super elite squad? Cause all those guys pretty much sucked and besides a couple neat things here and there like Kyoraku's bankai, they were all massive letdowns.

I remember Kyoraku's bankai actually being really lame and basically the epitome of the late-Bleach confusing bankais

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the anime might change the later parts of the arc a bit. kubo was basically disintegrating by that point so it became even less coherent than usual.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tunicate posted:

which was just stolen from HxH but stealing from Togashi is 100% the way to kick off a successful shonen

Only one character in HxH had that, and it was the condition to activate his power. In Jujutsu Kaisen it's a general ability that anyone can use if they have an ability.

But one of the best moments of it was a villain hitting two characters with his rotting technique and explaining how it works and saying he expects the girl to die from the rot in about 5 minutes and 7 minutes for the boy. Then thinking to himself "Now that I've explained it they will actually die even faster then that."

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 24, 2021

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Only one character in HxH had that, and it was the condition to activate his power. In Jujutsu Kaisen it's a general ability that anyone can use if they have an ability.

But one of the best moments of it was a villain hitting two characters with his rotting technique and explaining how it works and saying he expects the girl to die from the rot in about 5 minutes and 7 minutes for the boy. Then thinking to himself "Now that I've explained it they will actually die even faster then that."

Is this something that happened in the manga or the show? I don't remember hearing this plot point from the first season, maybe it hasn't appeared yet in the show

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Parrotine posted:

Is this something that happened in the manga or the show? I don't remember hearing this plot point from the first season, maybe it hasn't appeared yet in the show

It happened in the show. Last episode of the season. Thought I made a mistake it was 15 and 10 Minutes.

If you where wondering when it was first mentioned. That was when Nanami first showed up.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 24, 2021

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I remember Kyoraku's bankai actually being really lame and basically the epitome of the late-Bleach confusing bankais

Not in visuals though. I have no idea what it did, but it looked drat cool doing it.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
the real Vasto Lordes were the friends we made along the way

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MonsterEnvy posted:

From what I understand of it, it's kinda of psychological thing too which I like.

My favorite moment is someone taking advantage of this by lying about how their technique works so the villain gets caught off guard when he starts using his technique to it's fullest.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

His bankai shares the damage between the people afflicted, covers them with "holes" from which reaitsu leaks and then thrusts them into an ocean in which they drown if they ran out of reiatsu.

When I first read the chapter it sounded really interesting and I thought the direction of the battle would go into a "equalize the participants and then fight smartly while managing your resources" game, which would be in line with his shikai and his personality, while giving him a Bankai that allows him to overcome stronger enemies not through bullshit overpowering them but through tactics.

But then it turned out that his Bankai had an "I Win" move, taking away any tactic from it, that failed to work because he happened to fight against a flamingo god immune to "I Win" moves unless specifically struck with a god killing sword.

And then even later it turned out that everyone had a move that shares the damage between fighters culminating with the silly Ishida vs 2nd Quincy fight :shrug:

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 24, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lezard_valeth posted:

His bankai shares the damage between the people afflicted, covers them with "holes" from which reaitsu leaks and then thrusts them into an ocean in which they drown if they ran out of reiatsu.

When I first read the chapter it sounded really interesting and I thought the direction of the battle would go into a "equalize the participants and then fight smartly while managing your resources" game, which would be in line with his shikai and his personality, while giving him a Bankai that allows him to overcome stronger enemies not through bullshit overpowering them but through tactics.

But then it turned out that his Bankai had an "I Win" move, taking away any tactic from it, that failed to work because he happened to fight against a flamingo god immune to "I Win" moves unless specifically struck with a god killing sword.

And then even later it turned out that everyone had a move that shares the damage between fighters culminating with the silly Ishida vs 2nd Quincy fight :shrug:

I feel like most late-game bankais or quincy bankais (forget what those were called) were essentially "I win" moves that the opponent would be uniquely immune to.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Can't you tank/negate basically any attack if you have enough reiatsu? I remember that being a plot point from way back.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nah, the only real rule is that whatever power or system someone relies on, they will fight someone who can counter or nullify it. kenpachi with his reiatsu armor was that for ichigo and then it wasn't really relevant ever again.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

hiddenriverninja posted:

Can't you tank/negate basically any attack if you have enough reiatsu? I remember that being a plot point from way back.

I think Aizen states that if the Reiatsu difference between you and your opponent is large enough you can ignore most abilities. This is why he states Soifon's two hit kill does not work on him, however it's entirely possible he was bullshitting and Soifon was punching air.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I love that even the anime realized how stupid and bullshit that concept was and changed that scene to have Aizen grab Soi Fon's hand before the attack reaches him while still giving his speech about reiatsu bullshiting

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Bleach, for all its many flaws, was always interesting or engaging even at its worst. Very few chapters fell entirely flat because there would usually be something cool happening or one great looking panel, or something hilariously stupid. It's why we still have a thread and are excited for the next anime despite knowing how awful some parts are. Like yeah the bird god thing was dumb as gently caress but it looked crazy and it was so nonsensical that it was funny. Everything about Thor was dumb but we got absolutely awesome poo poo with Kenpachi and Komamura from it. The ending feels a dozen or more chapters away but suddenly wraps up in two. It's like the end of an episode of Charmed, suddenly the bad guy is poofed away, all problems are now solved. It's awful but so absurd it still entertains.

I will hold out a weird extended unlikely hope that they fix the last bit up a little, but there's no fixing Ishida's arc. Maybe have Ryuuken and Isshin do a bit more, have a bit more of a final fight.

Or if they don't add anything, just recontextualize it. Have the last bits just take place in an extended sequence set to the best tracks from the Bleach soundtrack since Bleach is best enjoyed as an AMV anyway.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Happy hollowdays.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Bleach, for all its many flaws, was always interesting or engaging even at its worst.

no it wasn't! don't lie to the nice people!!

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Too late, history has now been rewritten.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Bleach is best enjoyed as an AMV anyway.

Is there an anime with as good an OST as Bleach? From the weird dissonant stuff to the intense symphonic poo poo, I don't think, note for note, Sagisu has produced anything as good as what he did for Bleach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

A Cup of Ramen posted:

Too late, history has now been rewritten.

It will be huge missed opportunity if they don't insert the book guy from the Fullbringer arc in a bunch of random scenes.