Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm thinking the mysterious 9th LL is either Nagash or Bel'akor. I'm leaning towards the latter, since I feel like Nagash is gonna be a big ole' DLC at some point. But, I could be totally wrong. We could see Bel'akor as a FLC and Nagash as 9th LL.

All we know is that there's going to be a 9th LL. That's it. Maybe whatever is apparently in Miao Ying's faction mechanics post tomorrow will be enough, but who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
One tidbit is that the plot will involve a dead or dying god. It was mentioned very early on and not much since. I didn’t know what to think about that, but Ulric seems like a good candidate after it was revealed that so much of the Empire is on the map. Is our mystery villain related? Who knows.

Presumably Miao Ying will get revealed soon because she’s the last one, but there’s also going to be some kind of teaser tomorrow:
https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/rmv3jx/tomorrow/

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
Stat cards have so much information on them that they’re basically impenetrable for someone learning the game and once you learn what all the numbers mean and play for a while you realize they still don’t capture a lot of important information because in practice animations are actually super important and basically impossible to quantify.

Every unit card should include a plain english write up of their intended use case(s) / strategy and RoR should also include a blurb highlighting how they are different from the vanilla versions.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Acute Grill posted:

It is actually kind of funny that they're a peasant unit when peasants are exactly the class of people who would never have enough time and money to learn mounted archery.

Bretonnian lords do keep garrisons of 'professional' peasant troops, that's what men-at-arms and (the slightly higher ranked) yeomen are. No different I guess from actual medieval lords having a bunch of trained serjeants hanging around the castle in case they need someone to distract the enemy long enough for the cool guy knights to come in and do cool stuff.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

yikes! posted:

or the lunatics that won't buy it if the diplo isn't improved
Better diplomacy is important! :c00lbutt:

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i'll accept this, but only, ONLY if grimgor pounding archaon into the dust is the official ending

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky_ojH6FkpM

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Better diplomacy is important! :c00lbutt:

They could at least get rid of the vestigial options like the vassals who don't do anything.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
There was a vestigial 5th chaos god Malal in the early lore who hated the other gods, right? Just officially recognize that guy again and have an alternate ending to the End Times to justify the Old World setting coming back. In their moment of triumph, Malal sees his time to strike and messes everything up, breaking time and reality in the process leading to the alternate timeline where the Flash Gordon Space Sphere setting that replaced fantasy never happens. You even get an extra faction out of it from Malal demons.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Edit ^^^ I think Malal is actually owned by someone else not affiliated with GW, so chances are slim

I hope we get some good music this time around. Total Warhams, and Total War in general post Van Dyck has always had 'solid' BGM for a video game, but it's very much 'mood' stuff that stays out of the way and I struggle to recall any specific tracks unless I'm actually in the process of listening to it. Three Kingdoms finally got some fire tracks towards the end so I'm optimistic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bENOkkRMEbE

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 24, 2021

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

There was a vestigial 5th chaos god Malal in the early lore who hated the other gods, right? Just officially recognize that guy again and have an alternate ending to the End Times to justify the Old World setting coming back. In their moment of triumph, Malal sees his time to strike and messes everything up, breaking time and reality in the process leading to the alternate timeline where the Flash Gordon Space Sphere setting that replaced fantasy never happens. You even get an extra faction out of it from Malal demons.

Isn't Malal mired up in a bunch of legal bullshit, hence why he never showed up again in later fluff?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

If you're ever feeling useless just remember the Gulf of Lustria exists on Mortal Empires

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Gonkish posted:

Isn't Malal mired up in a bunch of legal bullshit, hence why he never showed up again in later fluff?

Ah dang.

Well if Harmony Gold can sort their Macross lawsuit this year, GW can too. It's a time for miracles.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Chad Jihad posted:

If you're ever feeling useless just remember the Gulf of Lustria exists on Mortal Empires
Dont forget about the Gulf of Medes.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

The world actually ending in the End Times was almost explicitly not what the four big chaos gods wanted anyway. Which I’m of itself is kind of funny.

It’s Archaon’s great triumph, he did exactly what he was meant to do, and destroyed the Chaos God’s favourite toy. The end of the world was him spiting them instead of allowing them to dictate his failure.

He got to the final step, and then the Chaos Gods realised he was actually going to win and tried to convince him not to destroy the world. At least that’s what I remember from reading about the whole thing.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Lawdog69 posted:

Every unit card should include a plain english write up of their intended use case(s) / strategy and RoR should also include a blurb highlighting how they are different from the vanilla versions.

yes please.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Gonkish posted:

GW never secured the rights to Malal and the author of the original stories/comics referring to Malal took the character and has squatted on them for a good few decades now.

There was a Chaos Marine warband from 4th edition 40k onwards called the Sons of Malice, who had a black/white colour scheme and were cited as fond of fighting against other Chaos forces, but they were a dev's pet army that made it in as an example of lesser CSM factions and have been super sporadically featured since.

Honestly there's been infinitely more words expended on the internet about Malal, and the two lesser Gods invented for one of the RPG books, than anything actually published about them.

Lord_Magmar posted:

He got to the final step, and then the Chaos Gods realised he was actually going to win and tried to convince him not to destroy the world. At least that’s what I remember from reading about the whole thing.

Pretty much yeah. The Great Game between the Gods is unending and until then the Gods themselves decided when they'd clear the board and start fresh on an uncorrupted plane of reality/world. Archaon pulling the plug was a big sign things were spiraling out of their control, but being creatures of well, Chaos they were also happy to see where their Everchosen was taking this. As of when Archaon rejoins the story in AoS, he's done this to each world the Gods have picked for the next cycle of The Game since and is getting stronger each time.

Only Slaanesh stayed on The Old World/The World That Was to hunt down the last of the Elves who were hiding in the very last abyssal trenches of the seas with Mathlann, and then was apparently just chilling there indulging in their meal, setting up the other Gods betraying them and the whole capture and imprisonment thing.

SteelMentor fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 24, 2021

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Elves are such nerds they live in Mathland.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
The map that’s been released so far doesn’t have Nagashizzar but it would be an interesting thing if you had to race from the chaos wastes in the north to Nagashizzar in the south.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

End times fluff is such complete shite.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Storm Dragon faction

She's obviously has a missile focus.
Something got censored. My guess would be that it has something to do with a campaign objective, or something.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

It’s probably a diplomatic malus with the mystery LL

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Twigand Berries posted:

Oooh good thought. It does imply it isn't be'lakor OR nagash though, but rather something more Cathay related. She is off in the farthest northeast of Cathay iirc.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Twigand Berries posted:

Apparently a dev said it wasn't something to do with a LL so it might indeed be an unrevealed campaign mechanic. Or something to do with the updated diplomacy perhaps?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Huzzah another missile Lord, inject that poo poo straight into my veins.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SteelMentor posted:

And their heavy hitters are crossbows so unless it changes, you can just line them up behind your infantry with no fear at all!

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

And their heavy hitters are crossbows so unless it changes, you can just line them up behind your infantry with no fear at all!

That sounds so loving balanced like cosmically balanced holy poo poo

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Miao Ying must have some bonus involving the mechanics for reinforcing the Great Bastion, but what about that might warrant secrecy?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
It might also just a be a prank from the CA dude who posted it. He's leaving CA and now the total war community has two weeks to whip themselves into a Pontus frenzy. Should be a fun first week for the new community-manager at CA who will be starting in January.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
These are the first total war games I've played, and I don't understand this pontus thing. Like I know what pontus was historically but just not this context.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

People apparently freaked the gently caress out in a bad way when Pontus was announced

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Panderfringe posted:

These are the first total war games I've played, and I don't understand this pontus thing. Like I know what pontus was historically but just not this context.
The Pontus meme basically means "the total war fan community is bit insane". Specifically whenever CA teases something, the TW community tends to go nuts with a specific assumption/expectation. And when the thing is eventually revealed and it isn't what the community was expecting, they get upset at CA.
For Rome2's release, CA teased a pre-order faction. Folks were convinced it was going to be the Seleucid empire. Nothing else was possible according to them. And surprise! It was Pontus. Things got a bit nastier then usual. Insane weirdos who were angry at CA for deliberately misdirecting their expectations (which CA didn't do, but you know... insane weirdos) went completely apeshit insane. The TW Center forums were filled with unhinged rants about how this was a great injustice and off course death threats were send to CA employees.

If you followed just Warhammer 2 over its lifetime and occasionally glanced at the TW Reddit or TW Center you would have seen this scenario play out every single time CA put out a tease or announcement. CA teases a Skaven DLC. Folks become convinced it's going to be Thanquol. It turns out be Skretch and out come the unhinged rants how it CA is evil for not giving them their favorite character.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

SteelMentor posted:

this but unironically, I love playing missile factions and lords.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Southpaugh posted:

End times fluff is such complete poo poo.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Log082 posted:

this but unironically, I love playing missile factions and lords.

Buddy, same. I'm the kinda sick pervert who likes building Waywatcher/Shadow Warrior doomstacks.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Southpaugh posted:

End times fluff is such complete shite.

It takes effort to make a world-ending war so loving stupid.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Pontus was specifically making fun of a particularly insane dreg of the total war community. pop history nerds who argue all day about Overhand or Underhand spears and think CA is the head of a germanic conspiracy to steal greek culture. Their proof being that CA showed off a lot of barbarian factions instead of 3 trillion hellenic subgroups.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Pontus was the last faction announced for Total War: Time 2 (they were the first Free DLC, but available at launch so they were effectively the last launch faction). At the time, the general consensus in the community was that it was going to be the Seleucids, with a few starry-eyed hopefuls holding a torch for Dacia or Steppe people or some other historical niche. Since nobody on earth is a Pontus stan, most people shrugged at the announcement and moved on while the Seleucid stans lost their minds.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Acute Grill posted:

Pontus was the last faction announced for Total War: Time 2 (they were the first Free DLC, but available at launch so they were effectively the last launch faction). At the time, the general consensus in the community was that it was going to be the Seleucids, with a few starry-eyed hopefuls holding a torch for Dacia or Steppe people or some other historical niche. Since nobody on earth is a Pontus stan, most people shrugged at the announcement and moved on while the Seleucid stans lost their minds.
There are dozens of us, dozens!! I legit want Pontus ported to WH3 somehow.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Tankbuster posted:

think CA is the head of a germanic conspiracy to steal greek culture.

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

There are dozens of us, dozens!! I legit want Pontus ported to WH3 somehow.

I really do want it to make it in SOMEHOW even if it's just a landmark near where Pontus would be.