Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wang Commander posted:

Antivax isn't idiocy, it's them signalling that they're a fascist ideologue and can safely be cut out of your life.

Thats such a ridiculous narrow summation of antivaxxers esp given the very large antivax movement from the left and wellness idiots

FlamingLiberal posted:

I guess that 50-70% is just overall? The article doesn't specify if they are talking about all people or vaccinated people or what

I think so.

Anyway, here's the UK's current data and graphs (source link)

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/cases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like the guy that reads a bunch of weird edge case studies and endlessly freaks themselves out about long term damage vaccines and the guy who have convinced themselves asymptomatic vaccinated cases of covid will give the whole population parkinsons are the same exact guy standing in two timelines sliding doors style just split by which twitter post they saw first.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like the guy that reads a bunch of weird edge case studies and endlessly freaks themselves out about long term damage vaccines and the guy who have convinced themselves asymptomatic vaccinated cases of covid will give the whole population parkinsons are the same exact guy standing in two timelines sliding doors style just split by which twitter post they saw first.

Without a doubt. Its about the signaling, not the information.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Wang Commander posted:

Antivax isn't idiocy, it's them signalling that they're a fascist ideologue and can safely be cut out of your life.

Thats such a ridiculous narrow summation of antivaxxers esp given the very large antivax movement from the left and wellness idiots

Wang Commander is simply signaling that you can safely ignore his opinions.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Illuminti posted:

Without a doubt. Its about the signaling, not the information.

Like that twitter post about "child found with spongiform brain after covid infection" is just the equal and opposite version of " Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System reports 10,483 have died after getting a vaccine. " and would trick the same person, depending on which flavor of doom scrolling they do.

(both are 100% factual statements, that both play a game by using the word "after" to imply but not say causation.)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
what # of posts per day about covid should I be consuming to provide the optimal protection??

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Herstory Begins Now posted:

what # of posts per day about covid should I be consuming to provide the optimal protection??

Less than the cspam thread, more than the d&d thread, hth

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

That person did technically arrive at the conclusion based on reason, I mean technically they’re correct that we don’t know for certain the long term side effects. The problem is that they’ve extrapolated a technicality and ignored a whole domain of science and factual data to imply that you cannot assume anything about the safety of the vaccine, and that is wrong. It’s like saying you can’t know the Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn’t exist because it’s impossible to observe, even though every shred of data and scientific and logical reasoning suggests it doesn’t. As a result, it’s a meaningless argument, because it’s deliberately ignorant, and expects you to respect that ignorance.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Wang Commander posted:

That sounds a lot like idiocy to me.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
Left-Twitter does this bullshit too, where antivaxxers are all people who are simply too downtrodden and pitiful to have seen the light of vaccines. It's imo an attempt to ignore the uncomfortable reality of an organized and ascendant Right in this country. There's always an edge case and it's getting to the point of absurdity. What's next, "oh he was an actor in a WW2 movie and got lost in his Nazi uniform"?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
xpost:

https://twitter.com/isaacstanbecker/status/1474103343828156419

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/12/the-biden-administration-rejected-an-october-proposal-for-free-rapid-tests-for-the-holidays

quote:

The plan called for an estimated 732 million tests per month, a number that would require a major ramp-up of manufacturing capacity. It also recommended, right on the first page, a nationwide “Testing Surge to Prevent Holiday COVID Surge.”
[...]
The plan, in effect, was a blueprint for how to avoid what is happening at this very moment—endless lines of desperate Americans clamoring for tests in order to safeguard holiday gatherings, just as COVID-19 is exploding again. Yesterday, President Biden told David Muir of ABC News, “I wish I had thought about ordering” 500 million at-home tests “two months ago.” But the proposal shared at the meeting in October, disclosed here for the first time, included a “Bold Plan for Impact” and a provision for “Every American Household to Receive Free Rapid Tests for the Holidays/New Year.”
Three days after the meeting, on October 25, the COVID-19 testing experts—who hailed from the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, the Rockefeller Foundation, the COVID Collaborative, and several other organizations—received a back channel communication from a White House official. Their big, bold idea for free home tests for all Americans to avoid a holiday surge, they were told, was dead.
[...]
The fury with which public-health experts greeted Psaki’s comments reflected their longstanding frustration with an administration that, in their view, has put almost all its focus on vaccinating the American public, at the expense of other critical aspects of the response, from getting shots into arms overseas to making high-quality masks widely available. The rapid-test push, in particular, seems to have bumped up against the peculiar challenges of fighting COVID-19 in the 21st-century United States. Difficulties include a regulatory gauntlet intent on vetting devices for exquisite sensitivity, rather than public-health utility; a medical fiefdom in which doctors tend to view patient test results as theirs alone to convey; and a policy suspicion, however inchoate, that too many rapid tests might somehow signal to wary Americans that they could test their way through the pandemic and skip vaccinations altogether. “It’s undeniable that [the administration] took a vaccine-only approach,” said Dr. Michael Mina, a vocal advocate for rapid testing who attended the October White House meeting. The U.S. government “didn’t support the notion of testing as a proper mitigation tool.”

christ the admin bungled this so loving bad. i don't know how to describe this attitude of "shots in arms is all you need" as anything but a lesser form of covid-denialism

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Good Lord what a terrible administration.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Woohoo it's the time of year for holiday exposures!

I was considering roadtripping with my parents (who live nearby and I'm in a bubble with) to Texas on Monday to visit relatives. We've now had exposures on both ends, my mom went to a meeting on Saturday where she sat next to a lady who later got symptoms and tested posiitve on Monday. One of our relatives in Texas is a NICU nurse who just learned she had an exposure over the weekend at a wedding.

Tests are very hard to come by both here and in Texas, apparently. We did manage to find a rapid testing site here but Texas relatives are in a major city and can't get a COVID test unless they're symptomatic. The NICU nurse relative was told to continue coming to work even after the known exposure and they won't be testing her unless she's symptomatic.

I'm not overly concerned for our personal safety since everyone involved is boosted but if you're going through with holiday travel plans make sure you have testing available. There's obviously going to be a huge increase in testing demand over the holidays.

Also worth keeping in mind that while rapid antigen tests are a great tool they're of course not foolproof,

https://discord.com/channels/470506319326216192/682632824549146695/923717696829423677

quote:

Belgian researchers on Tuesday issued a pre-holiday warning against over-reliance on COVID-19 rapid antigen tests, saying they believed the breath of people infected with the disease had high levels of virus in the first two days after an infection -- a period when many antigen tests were negative.

Omicron does seem to hit faster so the "infectious but tests negative with rapid antigen test" window is probably shorter with that, but still something to keep in mind.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

This hit my family so fast we had no time to do anything about it. We had a vaccinated nanny come by Monday, Tuesday she calls us to tell us she has symptoms, and by Wednesday my wife was sick. After 2 years of being super cautious, what a mess.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Wang Commander posted:

Left-Twitter does this bullshit too, where antivaxxers are all people who are simply too downtrodden and pitiful to have seen the light of vaccines.

Save some straw for a new years bonfire

quote:

What's next, "oh he was an actor in a WW2 movie and got lost in his Nazi uniform"?

Woah you nearly slipped, are you ok? Watch out for those steep slopes.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

A big flaming stink posted:

christ the admin bungled this so loving bad. i don't know how to describe this attitude of "shots in arms is all you need" as anything but a lesser form of covid-denialism
If nothing else, those tests are useful--necessary even--for children that are ineligible for the vaccine. Surely they had considered that in October, no?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Wang Commander posted:

Left-Twitter does this bullshit too, where antivaxxers are all people who are simply too downtrodden and pitiful to have seen the light of vaccines. It's imo an attempt to ignore the uncomfortable reality of an organized and ascendant Right in this country. There's always an edge case and it's getting to the point of absurdity. What's next, "oh he was an actor in a WW2 movie and got lost in his Nazi uniform"?

Antivaxxer bulllshit has been for decades predominatly NOT Alt-Right but deeply homed in the mommy blogger / wellness / hippy alt-left. Alt Right types are basically copying the very well established BS trains and running with it and that is much more recent in prevalence. Your assertions about antivaxxers being a signal of being facists is blatantly not true

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Antivaxxer bulllshit has been for decades predominatly NOT Alt-Right but deeply homed in the mommy blogger / wellness / hippy alt-left. Alt Right types are basically copying the very well established BS trains and running with it and that is much more recent in prevalence. Your assertions about antivaxxers being a signal of being facists is blatantly not true
Yeah pre-Covid there were way more antivaxxers on the left fringe. Now it's swung the other way.

Like a few years back there was a very large measles outbreak on the west coast in more liberal areas because of antivaxx parents refusing to get their kids the measles vaccine.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
It's not like the left anti-vaxxers are gone, they're just drowned out in the noise of the chuddy types. The only anti-vaxx family at my kids' school is very traditional granola "i won't put anything unnatural in my body" anti-vaxx.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

enki42 posted:

It's not like the left anti-vaxxers are gone, they're just drowned out in the noise of the chuddy types. The only anti-vaxx family at my kids' school is very traditional granola "i won't put anything unnatural in my body" anti-vaxx.

I dont think those traditional Anti-Vaxxers have been drowned out either, they have with a fair bit of enthusiasm been adjusting their messaging to make their BS appealing to a group they havent normally targeted.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Nah it's really on both ends. it's not so much that they aren't partisan, so much as they just aren't really interacting on the same plane as partisan politics. So yeah you get paranoid hippies, you get mommy bloggers, you get some insane evangelical homeschoolers, you get some jehovas witnesses. If you're on the west coast it probably was more visible as a left-wing thing, but a lot of it traces back into various conspiracy theories about the UN trying to institute NWO and other batshit stuff. Generally the single biggest thing it correlates to is deep distrust of the government, which, again, is anything but partisan.

like the key thing is that the market for it is just paranoid people who loving believe everything they hear and axiomatically distrust anything the government supports, which very much neither the left nor the right has any kind of monopoly on. It's also further compounded by how much of a legit horseshoe effect there is with the paranoid anti-government types.

If anything it became more visibly left wing in the last decade, but it definitely has not been a partisan thing for decades.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 24, 2021

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

enki42 posted:

A lot of those folks - along with all the other conspiracy theorists such as UFO fans, crystal freaks, etc - have swung hard right as they've found a home in the modern day Republican party.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Fritz the Horse posted:

Also worth keeping in mind that while rapid antigen tests are a great tool they're of course not foolproof,

https://discord.com/channels/470506319326216192/682632824549146695/923717696829423677

Omicron does seem to hit faster so the "infectious but tests negative with rapid antigen test" window is probably shorter with that, but still something to keep in mind.

The theory in that paper is really interesting. As I understand it, the thesis is that because Omicron replicates so fast in the bronchial tubes, every breath is pluming more virus out into the air than if it's deep in your lungs or whatever, and that's happening before you pop positive in your mucus.

In a related study, I'm not sure how reassuring I find these results, because the tests are showing negative at 2.5k copies and some very very faint positives at 10x that, and you might hope that on the far right side you're not contagious yet, but if the incubation period is shorter, to your point Fritz, that might mean you could read negative in the morning of one day and be infectious later that very same day (which is something Daniel Griffin has said they've already seen in some cases e.g. Hollywood daily testing).

https://twitter.com/DrJLi/status/1473652560712011780

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah pre-Covid there were way more antivaxxers on the left fringe. Now it's swung the other way.

Like a few years back there was a very large measles outbreak on the west coast in more liberal areas because of antivaxx parents refusing to get their kids the measles vaccine.

Not really. Maybe 10-15 years ago antivaxxers were 50-50 left/right but the balance has slid rightward ever since. In the first 2016 Republican primary debate all ten participants (including a doctor or two) refused to straight up endorse vaccinations, and while that was distressing at the time it was already not super surprising.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like there is also different people that aren't fully infected with the antivaxx virus but still have detectable levels of antivaxx RNA floating around in their blood stream.

Like in this thread you can sometimes see crossover where someone has picked up a story or concept from antivaxx twitter but it fits in their more generically "doomer" personality so now they fully believe taking vaccines are imminently dangerous ala marek's disease. Or wild overstatement about the general uselessness of vaccines. Like it's people that wouldn't generally take themselves as antivaxx, but will absorb and spread an antivaxx statement if it otherwise slots in other parts of their worldview.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like in this thread you can sometimes see crossover where someone has picked up a story or concept from antivaxx twitter but it fits in their more generically "doomer" personality so now they fully believe taking vaccines are imminently dangerous ala marek's disease.

Kindly don't talk about aspects of biology you manifestly do not understand.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Here in The Netherlands the wellness crystal mommy blogger crowd swung a hard right in the last elections and voted for the openly-but-denying-but-absolutely-fascist party, because they are covid denialists and want to openerup. A few of the lifestyle coach/ yoga instructor people who voted for FvD were interviewed and they all said some variant of "Oh yeah I don't follow politics but I voted FvD because they are for freedom! Love peace and understanding, namaste!"

Very cool all these self-absorbed Yoga fascists with their fake veneer of love and caring yet the only people they care for are themselves.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Had three confirmed and one rule out breakthroughs today. All incredibly mild. The triple vaxxed 65F had zero symptoms, was just testing for visiting family for the holidays. The other two are in their 40s, got their second shots in July. Presenting as just a sore throat and some rhinorrhea. No fevers or real cough for any of them.

One of them thinks she picked it up at a restaurant. The vast, vast majority of NYC restaurants have been great at checking vaccine status at the door, so she probably picked it up from another vaxxed, likely mildly or non-symptomatic person.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If you vote for fascists despite the fascism instead of because of it, you're still a fascist. It's a distinction without a difference. I don't see the point in saying "well the left has anti-vaxxers too!"

No they don't. Not anymore! Now, anti-vaxxism is de facto a right-wing position and people are supporting right-wing candidates because of it. You can't say you're left-wing while voting for right-wing candidates.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think what others are saying is that the left-leaning anti-vaxx stuff that was more prevalent pre-Covid was not political. Obviously now being anti-vaxx has become a political litmus test on the right. You can't really find many right-wing politicians anymore who openly support vaccination programs and this is really bad going forward.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think what others are saying is that the left-leaning anti-vaxx stuff that was more prevalent pre-Covid was not political. Obviously now being anti-vaxx has become a political litmus test on the right. You can't really find many right-wing politicians anymore who openly support vaccination programs and this is really bad going forward.

I agree, I'm just saying that the shift is such that there is no anti-vaxx movement on the left anymore. It was "anti-vaxxers, who happened to lean left" and now they've turned into "anti-vaxxers who are right-wing definitionally" because it's become a political issue.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Yeah there was a chart posted in one of these threads a while back that showed the breakdown of attitudes on vaccination between the different political spectrums and I was quite surprised as I had always assumed that the split would be around a 1:1 ratio between the left and right on anti-vaxx "I am not vaccinated and I never will be vaccinated" sentiment, and it actually turned out where only 3% of self-identified leftists fit in that category and the amount of chud anti-vaxxers was enough to take up almost 30% of the self identified right wingers.

Now it could be that alot of the left wing anti vax people were getting caught up by the language of the question, because the ones I know in my life will invoke that they haven't done enough testing on the long term effects of the virus, or they won't get it because they are trying to have a baby and they are waiting to see the evidence that the vaccine doesn't hurt babies.. kind of leaving it open (hypothetically) that the research could come in at some point and they would get the vaccine then because they are reasonable people..

it could also be true that a lot natural medicine people who were formerly on the left have shifted to being chuds at some point in the last 5 years, or maybe there just weren't as many of those people around as I had thought to begin with. At the very least, it seems correct to me at this point in time to state that anti-vax thought is as much a feature or the far right as anything else, and it's not inaccurate to suggest that the vast majority of anti vax people are hard core chuds.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Interesting moment happening locally:
Chicago and the county health department both announced they're starting vaccine checking mandates for bars/restaurants/gyms after new years. One of the small city public health departments followed suit (each entity controls its own jurisdiction, so county only controls where nothing local). But the city next door, the most liberal one in the Midwest with high vaxx rates (84% fully vaccinated over age of 5, but had a mumps outbreak five years ago from granola moms) put out a statement they don't see the point in vaccine card checkers at the door.

Frankly I think it's the right move to not do the mandate at this point, but they'll probably fall in line since it's easy enough to offload the responsibility on the private businesses

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Worth remembering that political identity is anything but immalleable. People swing all over the place all the time, which does seem a bit at odds with just how polarized the US is, but then a lot of people do exist largely outside the contemporary american political binary

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
I think vaccine mandates are basically covid theater at this point. You need heroic regimens to see much reduction in transmission and pushing the "pandemic of the unvaccinated" myth at this point is irresponsible. The ICU situation is still being driven by unvaccinated in low vaxx areas but Omicron has a lot of room to grow now that it's out of whatever evolutionary rut Delta seemed to be stuck in. This is the start of vaccine evasion, not the end.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
heroic regimens of like 3 shots

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

heroic regimens of like 3 shots

what percent of the population has 3 shots? Yeah it would be pretty heroic to get everyone there. But wait there’s more, gonna need 4th and 5th shots before you can get people there third

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
i mean infants get like 6x that in their first six months, calling that heroic is beyond hyperbole

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
i mean, the problem is that by the time most people have had their 3rd shot, we'll need 4ths

maybe even 5ths:

https://twitter.com/kallmemeg/status/1474072056878804992

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

i mean infants get like 6x that in their first six months, calling that heroic is beyond hyperbole

Getting the vaccines on a personal level isn’t the heroic part. Getting everyone to that level is the heroic feat. Shouting “Get vaccinated” in tweets isn’t working

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
An every two months booster of a barely-working vaccine for everyone in the world seems pretty out there as a sole plan for dealing with the virus.

Barely-working to control transmission I mean, still quite good against severe especially if you actually are able to gigavaxx.